Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73

    anti-passion oddity

    This phenomonon has left me amused but confused.
    I was stopping for gas the other day on my way to my ride location. It was a perfect day of cool breeze and crisp sunlight after a week of storms/flooding. A bright red sports car pulled up at the pump beside me. This car was keenly detailed, cleaned to perfection. On it's roof there was a Yakima roof rack with a very fast looking Cannondale road bike, all of which had the look of newness, not a spec of any kind of dirt or wear. The guy wanted to talk bike racks and bikes, and so I was game. No big deal...it happens. Everything seemed normal until in admiration of his road ride I said, I'll bet that's a fast bike. His response however, was that he has had the bike for a few years and has never ridden it. He said it was $2000 and he doesn't ride. He then pointed out that he also had a surf board attachment on the roof rack. The surf board attachment tipped me off that this guy was the ultimate poser. Since this was Pennsylvania I assumed that he didn't surf either. He literally drives around with this stuff on his car to be cool, or have status. Here in pennsylvania I just haven't seen the likes of this. The culture here is practical, conservative, and stoic to a fault.

    After a brief comparison of our roof racks, Yakima / Thule...same price range, I politely said goodby, took my recipt from the pump and drove off thinking this may provide evidence that we are not from monkeys, we are becoming them.

  2. #2
    I like Squishy Bikes
    Reputation: Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,094
    I think he was fishing.
    Hey Handsome
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    73
    LOL!!!! I never thought of that lol. ............(suddenly very serious) and I don't want to.

  4. #4
    up n over
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    407
    eew.
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

  5. #5
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Or maybe he was being sarcastic and you don't get sarcasm.

    MTBR has a huge population of those kind of socially inept folks.

    So, I bet now you are trying to guess whether I'm being sarcastic or not....and which part.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-22-2011 at 07:14 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,768
    Chicks dig roadies. They aren't always covered in mud, blood, poison oak, bug bites, dog poo, cow poo, ticks, grease, sweat, dead salamander guts etc.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmmUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,356
    BikesnobNYC calls those kind of bikes "Car Hats"

  8. #8
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,626
    Car hats.... Nice

  9. #9
    dead weight
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    731
    I'm shocked! Now I'm wondering if some of those guys wearing tapout shirts don't train to fight.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikepennyless
    This phenomonon has left me amused but confused.
    I was stopping for gas the other day on my way to my ride location. It was a perfect day of cool breeze and crisp sunlight after a week of storms/flooding. A bright red sports car pulled up at the pump beside me. This car was keenly detailed, cleaned to perfection. On it's roof there was a Yakima roof rack with a very fast looking Cannondale road bike, all of which had the look of newness, not a spec of any kind of dirt or wear. The guy wanted to talk bike racks and bikes, and so I was game. No big deal...it happens. Everything seemed normal until in admiration of his road ride I said, I'll bet that's a fast bike. His response however, was that he has had the bike for a few years and has never ridden it. He said it was $2000 and he doesn't ride. He then pointed out that he also had a surf board attachment on the roof rack. The surf board attachment tipped me off that this guy was the ultimate poser. Since this was Pennsylvania I assumed that he didn't surf either. He literally drives around with this stuff on his car to be cool, or have status. Here in pennsylvania I just haven't seen the likes of this. The culture here is practical, conservative, and stoic to a fault.

    After a brief comparison of our roof racks, Yakima / Thule...same price range, I politely said goodby, took my recipt from the pump and drove off thinking this may provide evidence that we are not from monkeys, we are becoming them.
    Where in PA?

  11. #11
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,883
    Quote Originally Posted by mummer43
    Where in PA?
    Sounds like a typical Chester snob to me.

  12. #12
    balance_fit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikepennyless
    This car was keenly detailed, cleaned to perfection. On it's roof there was a Yakima roof rack with a very fast looking Cannondale road bike, all of which had the look of newness, not a spec of any kind of dirt or wear. He literally drives around with this stuff on his car to be cool, or have status.
    At least this guy said he paid for the gear.
    Where i live, there's a new trend: some maggots who pay to have bike racks and surfboard foam carriers stolen from other cars so that they can show off on their shiny car's roofs... To add insult, they stick a beer can on the strap that's supposed to secure the wheel.
    Each time i see them, with their low to the ground cars, reaggeton music at ear busting levels, drug dealer looks and attitude and such things on their cars, i can't help but laugh, feel pity and dismiss them as helpless pretenders and losers.
    Simple, not easy.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    I'd love to know where in PA this happened too. Could be the Bucks-Montgomery County area where I live - definitely could be some mtbr posers here and its the closest part of the state to the Jersey shore which might justify the surfboard setup . . .

  14. #14
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    530
    Yup, he's trying to get in your pants. Next time bring up how the "in" fad is to be a roadie with a taste for the same sex.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    Chicks dig roadies. They aren't always covered in mud, blood, poison oak, bug bites, dog poo, cow poo, ticks, grease, sweat, dead salamander guts etc.
    OH!!!! That explains why girls never talk to me...oh well I guess if you're gonna be single mind as well be for a good..no no no...a fanf**kingtastic reason.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eville140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    235
    You people actually ride these bikes!

  17. #17
    100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    239
    I see a lot of ironical observations in your comments.

    What makes a bike "look fast"? Bikes are only as fast as the person pedaling them.

    Why would you engage in "comparing" bike racks? Sounds like a little status-battle to me.

    Here's a hint: a huge percentage of people who own bicycles are not bike riders, not even casual ones. The % of people who use their bikes heavily/regularly is small, in comparison to the % who own bikes. This means there's a lot of people who own bikes for various non-riding reasons, status display being a primary reason, and convincing one's self that one's an athletic person is another reason. Sometimes those two reasons intersect and a person puts his bike on his roof rack and drives around, hoping to troll up a new lover.

  18. #18
    It's a slugfest!
    Reputation: Silver_Slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    742
    I thought it was a funny post.

    I like the monkey part at the end.
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

  19. #19
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,397
    hmm. That really beats it all doesn't it.

    I have similar stories, here's one:

    Back in the late 80's I worked at a bike shop. We had a guy come in and say "what's your most expensive bike?" at the time it was a Fat Chance Yo Eddy. He looked at it and said "hmm, what is your most cool looking expensive bike?" to whit I showed him a Nishiki Alien, modeled after the Mantis XCE.

    He said he would take it. I told him it was much too large for him and he said that was fine he liked it and wanted it. We sold it to him and he left with it.

    A couple of months later he came in with it, after having taken it out, in running shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. I asked him how he liked it and he said that it was his first ride and he stopped here because he had hit a puddle and gotten the bike dirty. He asked me to have fenders put on it. I told him it was physically impossible to put fenders on it as it was strictly not designed to accommodate them (this being the era of standard silver blackburn fenders).

    He got all bent out of shape, asked to talk to the owner, complained about how expensive this bike was and that he didn't want to get it dirt. Left in a huff and I suspect hung his bike back up in his apartment like his hero, Jerry Seinfeld, never to ride it again. It was the Brett Ellis, Huey Lewis, 80's Stockbroker lifestyle that he wanted to live. Sadly this wasn't Manhattan, it wasn't a great bike, and he was Jerry Seinfeld.

    I never did have the heart to tell him that i rode the Mantis XCE, although I expect that it would have been all french to him anyway.

    My other story involves selling my car. I had a 1990 volkswagen jetta. It was our going to races, rides and camping mobile but technology had far advanced beyond its standard and with kids pending it was time to let go. I took a picture of it, multiple bike roof rack with front tire carriers and fairings attached, and put it up for sale. The first contact I had on it bought it. He came over, a pudgy honda tuning dude, smoking his cigarettes and full of tattoos.

    We chatted, I asked him if he rode, he said BMX when he was younger but cars were his world now. We made arrangement to have him pick up the car on the weekend and I cleaned it up and removed the rack.

    When he got there he asked me about the rack. I said that I removed it, as he had no need for it and he said the reason he was buying the car was the roof rack. I was so confused but I put the rack back on and asked him about the bike trays and wheel carriers.

    "Do you need these are you going to carry bikes?" he replied that he didn't even own a bike nor did he plan on it so I asked if he wanted them, and he said "nah but I definitely want the fairing"

    After selling it he sent me a picture of it with its new GTI grille, lowered with blue headlights and blacked out rims, roof rack atop (this was a 62hp NA diesel Jetta by the way). So evidently this is part of the look and so I started to look around and there is a segment of tuner fanatics to which a roof rack is integral to the looks of their cars.

    Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raineman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    456
    It's confounding behavior and whenever I am confounded by others, I usually consult my favorite source, a mirror. It replied with the following when I asked "why do other people show off stuff they don't use for its intended purpose?"

    "Do you drive a 4x4 and commute back and forth from Exit (insert number here)? How about a scratchless pickup truck? (If you do then I'll beat you to it when referring to myself as a dou*he.)

    Ride a $5000+ bike and race in Cat3? (again, I must be a dou*che.)

    Ride it only when it's nice out and brag about how baddass you are?" (Dou*he x 3)

    We are just silly humans and the joke's on us.
    Last edited by Raineman; 04-25-2011 at 10:53 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    217
    We get a lot of roadies like that here in Scottsdale. They hang out at Starbucks however.

  22. #22
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    530

    H

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    I see a lot of ironical observations in your comments.

    What makes a bike "look fast"? Bikes are only as fast as the person pedaling them.

    Why would you engage in "comparing" bike racks? Sounds like a little status-battle to me.

    Here's a hint: a huge percentage of people who own bicycles are not bike riders, not even casual ones. The % of people who use their bikes heavily/regularly is small, in comparison to the % who own bikes. This means there's a lot of people who own bikes for various non-riding reasons, status display being a primary reason, and convincing one's self that one's an athletic person is another reason. Sometimes those two reasons intersect and a person puts his bike on his roof rack and drives around, hoping to troll up a new lover.
    Here's a hint. No one likes you! This thread was great until you showed up. Why must you jack every thread into an argument. Btw, your the fat that needs trimmed around here.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  23. #23
    born to chill
    Reputation: flowmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikepennyless
    This phenomonon has left me amused but confused.
    I was stopping for gas the other day on my way to my ride location. It was a perfect day of cool breeze and crisp sunlight after a week of storms/flooding. A bright red sports car pulled up at the pump beside me. This car was keenly detailed, cleaned to perfection. On it's roof there was a Yakima roof rack with a very fast looking Cannondale road bike, all of which had the look of newness, not a spec of any kind of dirt or wear. The guy wanted to talk bike racks and bikes, and so I was game. No big deal...it happens. Everything seemed normal until in admiration of his road ride I said, I'll bet that's a fast bike. His response however, was that he has had the bike for a few years and has never ridden it. He said it was $2000 and he doesn't ride. He then pointed out that he also had a surf board attachment on the roof rack. The surf board attachment tipped me off that this guy was the ultimate poser. Since this was Pennsylvania I assumed that he didn't surf either. He literally drives around with this stuff on his car to be cool, or have status. Here in pennsylvania I just haven't seen the likes of this. The culture here is practical, conservative, and stoic to a fault.

    After a brief comparison of our roof racks, Yakima / Thule...same price range, I politely said goodby, took my recipt from the pump and drove off thinking this may provide evidence that we are not from monkeys, we are becoming them.
    The bike looked fast? lol

    Can't really speak to the surfboard rack, maybe he does road trips to Florida who knows, but as for the bike, he might have been a poseur, he might have just been dryly sarcastic. If you saw me and my ride waiting for the lifts at Northstar, I guarantee you'd have no idea what runs I hit.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbfutrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    Chicks dig roadies. They aren't always covered in mud, blood, poison oak, bug bites, dog poo, cow poo, ticks, grease, sweat, dead salamander guts etc.
    Funny you say that - I had a guy meet me this weekend to look at my roof rack I have for sale....he was a roadie dude. I was there fresh from riding - bloody knuckles, muddy legs and smelly from bug spray, etc.....he pulls up - clean cut skinny dude - we chat a minute about the rack, and we walk over to see if it fit his car, he opens his passanger door and out steps a tall HOT blonde with little shorts on .....needless to say. I was stunned....maybe it was his sister!?! LOL!

    TAPOUT shirts.... hahahahahahahahahha!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

  25. #25
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    funny post rockcrusher but why are you dragging jerry springfeild down?

  26. #26
    canuck
    Reputation: Aaron D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    I see a lot of ironical observations in your comments.

    What makes a bike "look fast"? Bikes are only as fast as the person pedaling them.

    Why would you engage in "comparing" bike racks? Sounds like a little status-battle to me.

    Here's a hint: a huge percentage of people who own bicycles are not bike riders, not even casual ones. The % of people who use their bikes heavily/regularly is small, in comparison to the % who own bikes. This means there's a lot of people who own bikes for various non-riding reasons, status display being a primary reason, and convincing one's self that one's an athletic person is another reason. Sometimes those two reasons intersect and a person puts his bike on his roof rack and drives around, hoping to troll up a new lover.
    ^^true.^^

    and I have been asked several times about my racks and theres never been dick measuring.


    Bikes can look fast...

    Bikes can look slow...

    You are just ignent.

  27. #27
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,397
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    funny post rockcrusher but why are you dragging jerry springfeild down?
    hmm actually I think I meant bruce springsteen, thanks you have been great tonight...try the veal!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.