Another long one - Firewater 50 race rept.- Mtbr.com
    i worship Mr T

Another long one - Firewater 50 race rept.

(x-post)
    This year was the 10th annual Firewater 50 - an annual, underground, informal "race" that came about to celebrate someone's birthday - and my 2nd appearance at the event. What better way to bring in someone else's next year than to ride 50 miles of N. Ga trails and then immediately upon finishing slam back a shot of some sort of godawful cinnamon liqueur (aka Firewater)?

I teamed up with my friend MotoMark for the drive up. Moto hadn't been on a bike in 2 weeks and figured that a 50 mile deathmarch was a good way to get back into things. I, on the other hand, just wanted to go up and do a better, or at least less painful, ride than last year.

In typical *rt* fashion we got a late start (not my fault!! I swear!....it was all Moto's fault. Really!!) and then got lost - what? I needed to print out and bring the directions? Oh. Huh.

According to the email I'd received the start time for the race was 9am. At 8:58am we were driving in circles in the middle of BFE Ga with no clue how to get where we were supposed to be. Finally, we spotted the little sign (that we'd driven past at least twice) across from the very large national forest sign (that could only be missed by a blind person...and me & Moto) indicating the turn we had missed. As we bounced up the rutted forest road Moto & I looked at each other and said "This is supposed to be FUN!!.....Let's have some fun dammit!!" and an attitude adjustment ensued. We were ready to take on 50 miles of trail even if we started doing it 20 minutes after everyone else.

As we pulled up toward the the trailhead we saw.......people riding mtbs!?! Lots of people riding mtbs. Wha?.... Apparently, I didn't get the memo: the ride had been rescheduled to start at 9:30!! We were actually on time!! Go figure. We hurriedly got dressed and ready. With not a second to spare we rolled into the small mass of people gathered up and ready to start.

I looked around. The group was smaller than last year (48 this year vs 60 last) and I could only see one other female amongst the testosterone. Hmmm. The group sang happy birthday to Barry and we were off.

For those of you familiar with the area the route takes you up the steep waterbars & dirtbike/ATV trail of Windy Gap, a quick right to cut over on Milma Trail, then up upper Tibbs, across and down the Mountain Town FS road and onto the fun, technical Mountain Town singletrack, a right turn then a short bit of paved road before another right to take you up the FS rode to Bear Creek where the only rest stop awaited. Then, re-nourished, up Bear Creek, past the huge old poplar, up, up, and up some more, past the look out, past the gate and onto Potato Patch which continues to go up until you are fairly certain that you will soon be residing with the angles. Finally, at the top of Potato Patch a left turn along a long, long, long stretch of FS road until you finally come to the final turn onto the top of Windy Gap and some of the gnarliest single track in N.Ga just to finish you off.

My goal was to go out relatively easy and keep things steady for the duration. Easier said than done. As soon as the trail shifted upwards my HR shot through the roof. Drat. I eased off but it's tough to find any sort of rhythm on the climb. I watched the lead pack receed into the distance and reminded myself that even in my dreams I can't stick with some of those guys. I was looking at a minimum of 5.5 hrs on the bike while most of those guys would finish at least an hour quicker.

I was riding alone as I reached the top of the first section and ran into a group of people on dirt bikes trying to push one of the bikes up a steep incline - isn't that what the motor is for?! I asked if a bunch of cyclists had just passed by and they looked at me like I was speaking in tongues. I asked again (wanted to be sure that I wasn't already lost) and finally got an affirmative answer as they waved me on. Unfortunately the 2 guys trying to push the bike up hill were right in the middle of my line down so I had to get off and walk.

Finally the trail turned down for a bit and I breezed along oblivious to the world around me. The next thing I know some guy on a dirt bike is chasing me down to tell me that I missed my turn. Huh?! Why this surprised me I don't know, since I can get lost going from my kitchen to my bedroom. He pointed me in the correct direction as 2 guys and the only other estrogen bearer passed by. Back on the right track I caught up to the other girl, Laurie, and we rode together for a bit. But as soon as the trail flattened out she was off like a shot. I fought the urge to chase as I watched her go and then settled back into my moderate pace.

At about this point I noticed someone behind me sitting on my wheel. I kept waiting for him to pass but he never did. Then I started wondering if he was sitting on my wheel to make sure I didn't get lost again (yeah, I needed a gel!) and nearly told him that I would be fine if he wanted to go on. Instead I ate a gel and hoped that my brain would start functioning a bit better.

At the top of Milma you turn left onto upper Tibbs. Tibbs goes up. And up. And then up some more. Oh, and did I mention it goes up? Yeah, and when you get tired of going up on Tibbs it gets technical and steep and goes up some more. I caught and passed Laurie as we ground up Tibbs. Then, as we reached the technical section she passed me back - I was jealous of her FS and apparently better tire selection. Once again, as soon as the trail (mercifully) flattened out she was off like a shot.

Just after the top of Tibbs my shadow came around me and I found the company I would keep for the rest of the day. It is about 15 rolling (steeply rolling at times) miles from the top of Tibbs to the right turn onto the singletrack of Mountain Town so it was very nice to have company. Many thanks, Tim, for being such good company. It is always a pleasure to find someone who is keeping the same pace on a long ride. We hummed along chatting and looking out for anything interesting. Apart from the two guys in full camo carrying crossbows we didn't see much that rated high on the interesting scale.

When we weren?t chatting random snippets of annoying commercials got stuck in my head ? e.g., the new Bridgestone tires commercial .....And the wheels go round and round...And the wheels go round and round...and the wheels go .....ARRGH! We passed by the Mountain Town lookout and got a brief, but breathtaking view of the N.Ga mountains on a crystal clear day.

A few miles later we made the turn onto the Mountain Town singletrack. Although the rest of the route was in ideal condition Mountain Town is always wet. And rocky. And rooty. With lots of creek crossings. I slopped along enjoying the technical-ness. This ride fell post- hurricaine Charlie and the creeks were filled. I tried riding a few of the crossings until I found myself submerged past my hubs and then I gave up and hiked the rest. At one point my bike decided that it had had enough of being dirty and it jumped out of my hand in one of the creeks and splashed down on its side pushing me off balance and my left hand went down. Mmmmmmmm.....water in the bb and a soggy glove. Yummy.

With soggy shoes and a wet glove we emerged from the singletrack and onto the road. Tim said "left or right?" I said, "left." We looked at the map and went right. Then right again and up the Bear Creek FS road.....not half as bad as I recall from last year. We pulled into the rest stop, 27 miles in, at about 3 hrs 15 min and I downed my mid-ride 'meal': a bottle of endurox, a tsp of peanut butter, a banana, and 1/2 a clif bar. Oof! Instant heart burn. We refilled our camelbaks and were off and up the Bear Creek singletrack.

At about this point my body was getting tired of being bounced around and another commercial snippet jumped into my head: 'Oh, I wish I had a full suspension bicycle. That is what I'd really like to have. 'Cause if I had a full suspension bicycle.....' uh, rats, I can't come up with the last line. My brain worked on that knotty problem for a little while. We rode past the Bear Creek lookout. Oooh, pretty. And kept going. Through the gate and a quick rest (aka pee) stop. We picked up 2 more riders who stuck with us until the gate to Potato Patch......the long and grinding road.

We slogged up Potato Patch. Tim a little ahead, me a little behind. I heard someone behind me moving much too fast to be either of our previous companions. Just as I was about to look back MTBDOC comes cruising past. Apparently he decided that 50 miles wasn't going to be enough for him so he took a long-cut and bushwacked an extra 7 miles.

After the top of Potato Patch it is a long, long way to tipparary.....oh, wait, that's not it. But it is a long way to the turn off for the upper part of Windy Gap trail. I'd eaten well and was hydrated but I was fading. This section was much longer than I remembered it being from the previous year and I dropped back from Tim. It seemed to take forever (and two stops to check my, now very soggy, map) to finally come to the turn for Windy Gap.

Every time I descend Windy Gap (and this is the second time I've done so, the first being at last year's Firewater 50, and i'm sure i'll think it again next year) I think, 'Gee, I wish I could ride this first, when I've got fresh legs. It would be so much more fun'... The top of Windy Gap gives you everything your technical heart desires. Loose rocky rooty climbs, loose rocky steep descents, narrow rocky singletrack with exposed edges and high pucker factor, tight steep descending switchbacks (I made 3 out of the 4 and dabbed on the 4th), and then a boulder garden section that as far as I'm concerned is an excellent spot to take a nice leisurely walk while chatting up my bike. Once you make it through the technical you are back on the dirtbike/atv steep waterbar descent. Lots and lots of places to get lots and lots of ai......if you're into that sort of thing......which I'm not. And a few more loose, rocky stupid-steep descents where I found myself so far back off my saddle that it was resting in my stomach and I was saying aloud 'pleasedon'tletmediepleasedon'tletmediepleasedon't letmedie...' I made it to the very end of that section before my eye were drawn to a single rock. The rock spoke to me. It said "*rt* if you don't get off your bike I will grab your front wheel and slam you to the ground before you even know what hit you." Needless to say, I heeded the rock.

Finally when I thought my arms could take no more breaking and my legs would soon cramp permanently from 'dancing on my pedals' I rolled up and out into the trailhead parking lot to the cheers of "Hey it's the first girl to finish!!!" "No!", I said, there must be someone in front of me!? "No! You're first! You're the only girl to have done the full 50!!" Evidently Laurie had bailed early. I successfully managed to avoid the shot of firewater and was so pleased with my ride that I was absolutely convinced that I had cut at least 30 minutes off my time from last year.

I maintained this conviction for 2 whole days before actually discovering that my total ride time this year was a scant 5 minutes faster than last year and my actual rolling time (total time minus time stopped) was actually 12 minutes slower! Doh! but I take consolation in the fact that (1) I felt that I rode stronger & smarter; (2) I had a blast; and (3) the guy who won both last year and this year was actually 20 minutes slower this year than last.....since I was only 12 minutes slower this year that means I really had a better ride than the guy who won. Right? (that's called 'race math' hehehehe)

Many thanks again to Tim for being a such a pleasant ride companion for the bulk of the ride. Congrats to Moto for surviving and not getting eaten by a bear during his long trek through the woods. Hi to all the folks I saw including MTBDOC, Duckman, Charlie (from Cartecay Bikes), and the list goes on....and thanks to all my favorite sponsors:
    Team 180?s
    SourceBURN Energy Drinks
    Outback Bike Shop
    Hayes Brakes

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    You finished! You did it!!! All I gotta say is that after a long read (and a nice one... don't get me wrong) you better've finished darn it!

Great job *rt*

... uhh ... well.... I went camping over the weekend. That counts as some kind of work right?
    Randy

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by 家ndyA
    You finished! You did it!!! All I gotta say is that after a long read (and a nice one... don't get me wrong) you better've finished darn it!

Great job *rt*

... uhh ... well.... I went camping over the weekend. That counts as some kind of work right?
    believe it or not, that's the edited version!!!

thanks randy.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Jan 2004
    Great job rt!

Firewater is a tough ride/race. Mountaintown was a handful with the wet rocks and roots thanks to Charley. And the climb back up Potato Patch was long and hard as usual.

Laurie (Whatever) did not do the whole ride. Her plan was to do the first half of the ride over to Potato patch and then drop down to Bear Creek. From there she climbed back to Potato patch and back over to Windy Gap and down to the finish. She has done the whole ride several times and hates the descent of Mountaintown Creek. She ended up with 4hrs and 20minutes worth of riding.

Roger... Off to Italy to ride at Lake Garda and Tuscany.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*

I made it to the very end of that section before my eye were drawn to a single rock. The rock spoke to me. It said "*rt* if you don't get off your bike I will grab your front wheel and slam you to the ground before you even know what hit you." Needless to say, I heeded the rock.

LOL- I've run into rocks like that lately, but they have not been nice enough to warn me. Or maybe I couldn't hear them..or wasn't listening

Great ride, very impressive!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbmini
    Great job rt!

Firewater is a tough ride/race. Mountaintown was a handful with the wet rocks and roots thanks to Charley. And the climb back up Potato Patch was long and hard as usual.

Laurie (Whatever) did not do the whole ride. Her plan was to do the first half of the ride over to Potato patch and then drop down to Bear Creek. From there she climbed back to Potato patch and back over to Windy Gap and down to the finish. She has done the whole ride several times and hates the descent of Mountaintown Creek. She ended up with 4hrs and 20minutes worth of riding.

Roger... Off to Italy to ride at Lake Garda and Tuscany.
    likewise to you. i had a ball on Mountaintown but like the top of Windy Gap i always wish my legs were a bit fresher when i get there.

ahh, i figured Laurie bailed at the SAG stop. she was super strong on the flatter sections and had me by just over 2 hrs for her shorter loop.

wow! italy. i'm jealous. enjoy!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by porterjack
    LOL- I've run into rocks like that lately, but they have not been nice enough to warn me. Or maybe I couldn't hear them..or wasn't listening

Great ride, very impressive!
    hehe....some rocks speak louder than others!
    thanks!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Part-time rider

Peanut butter?

Just curious...why peanut butter? I've heard of riders taking honey, but does PB work the same?

Awesome write-up as always.

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

mtbr member

Drink THAT [email protected] after a ride? No thanks!

Unless it's to celebrate a friend, of course. Smart move in dodging the shot though. I'm happy to read that you felt stronger than last year on the same ride, as I'd have been worried that given the less-than-spot-on health you've experienced, you may have fared worse than a year ago. But it would seem that the season saw at least some improvement, though I'm sure not as much as you'd planned on this past spring!

Excellent write up to boot, and as someone noted above, it's a darned good thing you finished that ride! Didn't get stung by a bee, wreck, lose braking power and crash into a fence/wall, have multiple flats, bonk (at least not too badly), or have a (too much a) lack of oxygen in your blood stream! We'll take care of the oxygen depletion during the trip out west!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Zero
    Just curious...why peanut butter? I've heard of riders taking honey, but does PB work the same?

Awesome write-up as always.

K-Zero
    actually i discovered the wonders of peanutbutter on this ride last year. i had planned, last year, to make a pb&j sandwich at the rest stop but discovered that i'd forgotten to bring bread. doh! so i just took a knife-ful of peanutbutter and felt much better afterward. the pb has protein & fat and all the stuff your body is craving.

unfortunately, it is also a bit hard to digest and given the heartburn i got this year i may have to rethink the pb strategy! i can't do honey. waaaay too sweet. by that point in the ride i'm pretty much tired of sweet gooey stuff.

thanks.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Unless it's to celebrate a friend, of course. Smart move in dodging the shot though. I'm happy to read that you felt stronger than last year on the same ride, as I'd have been worried that given the less-than-spot-on health you've experienced, you may have fared worse than a year ago. But it would seem that the season saw at least some improvement, though I'm sure not as much as you'd planned on this past spring!

Excellent write up to boot, and as someone noted above, it's a darned good thing you finished that ride! Didn't get stung by a bee, wreck, lose braking power and crash into a fence/wall, have multiple flats, bonk (at least not too badly), or have a (too much a) lack of oxygen in your blood stream! We'll take care of the oxygen depletion during the trip out west!
    nope, not quite as much improvement as i had hoped for but it was nice to finish and not feel completely wiped out. hopefully i'm on the mend now and will be feeling like superwoman by the time i get out to GITA......well, except for the lack of O2.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    actually i discovered the wonders of peanutbutter on this ride last year. i had planned, last year, to make a pb&j sandwich at the rest stop but discovered that i'd forgotten to bring bread. doh! so i just took a knife-ful of peanutbutter and felt much better afterward. the pb has protein & fat and all the stuff your body is craving.

unfortunately, it is also a bit hard to digest and given the heartburn i got this year i may have to rethink the pb strategy! i can't do honey. waaaay too sweet. by that point in the ride i'm pretty much tired of sweet gooey stuff.

thanks.

rt
    Nice ride and write up RT. My favorite sandwich for long rides is a PB & H. Seems kind of heavy at first, but really helps out later in the day or ride. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice write up....

It would of taken me longer to write that many words than the ride itself. Great job, glad you had fun.
    carter

I love Pisgah
    Oh..oh!...I was there! And yes I finished too. So there. Tough long ride, being my first attempt.. Rode my blue NRS swapped out to a heavier post, saddle, and wheelset, but still 22.5lbs. It did great. Some pro Canondale dude named Turner won(won Waco this Spring?)with a 4:20. Fast mofo. Mine was.."sniff..sob"...6:20.

Yup. I was circling around "rt"'s car(shes SO good at arriving late it seems, that she has this parking in the middle of the p-lot down pat...um, I remember the last SERC race hehehehe) as I'd been warming up for 20 minutes as she came slidding in(well, not really, but it sounds good). I of course I gave her some grief.

I felt strong(altho my legs were burnt and tight feeling) at the top of Windy Gap while still on the FS rd, so I stood up and started to hammer up a last FS rd climb. Then my legs immediately cramped worse then they've ever before. The humanity. Had to jump off and start running with the bike just to get over the pain and such. This only lasted about 50yrds, and then I could continue on. Mental note...no more standing sprints for Duckman towards the end of a long race.

The dude running the show. Right where they camped. Great guys.

The Man. MTBDOC. He took a wrong turn on the climb up Bear Creek, which allowed me to pass him. He later passed me on the long killer climb up Potato Patch. He shelled me like a peanut. Damn! Pic was before the race. He camped out as well. Great guy.

Hmmmm...lets see...who parked in the middle..."rt". Note the culprit on the far left of the Honda. Yup, thats her. "thats the earliest I've ever been late...

Random bike next to me. More HTs then I woulda guessed.

After the race. Note the big high output grill. Mmmmm...burgers. Great time was had. I was really made to feel welcome being one of the few new riders in it. I'll be back next year for sure.

Last edited by Duckman; 09-22-2004 at 02:55 PM.

paintbucket
    Cool stuff. I've ridden Bear Creek up to Potato Patch, but nothing else in that area. I guess I need to get on it.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

I love Pisgah
    You will be amazed at Wendy Gap. Its a mofo. The climb up Tibbs is kinda interesting too.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    You will be amazed at Wendy Gap. Its a mofo. The climb up Tibbs is kinda interesting too.
    Yah. Well. rt did a nice job describing those sections. Fortunately I can push a bike with the best of them, and enjoy it too.

Lindsay

Thanks for the ride!

For a moment there, I thought I was someplace else.

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    Tom is Thomas Turner....he races professionally for Cannondale and has for several years. He's been winning races in GA and all over the country since he was about 14 (??). He's in college now.

Great report *rt*!!

avg. joe

Way to go!!

Another great write-up. Thanks for the "play by play".

Tom
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member

Good job! Way to go all the way!

I was hoping you'ld do a write up on your 'race.' You've got 'the way' with words. When are you gonna start getting published? Your stuff would be a welcomed read in most any of the local road or mtb publications. I think. Duckman's write up was a good one also! Thanks to the both of you for giving me grins and grimmesses from you descriptions of the day!

Congrats on completing it two years in a row! Though I've ridden all the trails, I've never put them all together at once, much less in the tough route the FireWater 50 takes! Some day I'll make the route, maybe next year I won't be hiding behind the "gotta work" excuse.

On the food / peanut butter thing... I've always like the idea of eating the heavy stuff the first hour or two (the pbj), then the power bars and lastly the gels. But then again, I know you've got to go with what you know works, especially on race day!

The winner, Thomas Turner or was it Greg Turner? I heard Greg (the old guy :-) ) wins this thing each year. Yes, Thomas Turner, the really young guy (we call him the fastest kid around at the shop since he holds the fastest lap at the 24HOA at Conyers, GA for the last two years) would surely win if he did the ride. Both are incredible riders and are always out front in their class.

Stay safe on and off the roads *rt*.

SC
    One of your many secret admirers. hehehe :-)
    Last edited by ScubaCruz; 09-23-2004 at 04:48 AM. Reason: grammer, grammar and graham-crackers.
    ScubaCruz
    www.sorba.org

i worship Mr T

Greg Turner, not Thomas, won....

Quote Originally Posted by Sadlebred
    Tom is Thomas Turner....he races professionally for Cannondale and has for several years. He's been winning races in GA and all over the country since he was about 14 (??). He's in college now.

Great report *rt*!!
    Greg's won this thing for something like 7 years running. he races for RBM and i never noticed what bike he rides. probably because he's so [email protected] fast that the bike is always a blur as he goes by me!! last year Greg finished in 4:09!! Amazing. This year he came in at a more moderate 4:20. even in my dreams i couldn't do that loop in 4-ish hours! not without motor intervention!

the guy who came in second is a pro rider who fits your description of Thomas Turner. Young guy from TN, does lots of cross racing? i never caught his name but he was blazing fast too.

thanks trish!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Nice ride and write up RT. My favorite sandwich for long rides is a PB & H. Seems kind of heavy at first, but really helps out later in the day or ride. Cheers.
    thanks Ebo!

ya, i discovered the wonders of pb&j sandwiches (something i hated as a kid....how unamerican, eh?!) when i started doing road centuries. they're great for quick & lasting energy. i agree, the pb was a little heavy for as late in the ride as i did it for the firewater but i wanted something that would stick with me as the day wore on since i find it harder to eat toward the later hours of long events. the heartburn immediately after the pb kinda sucked though! guess i need to experiment with some other stick-to-my-ribs options.

cheers.
    rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter Taylor
    It would of taken me longer to write that many words than the ride itself. Great job, glad you had fun.
    carter
    thanks carter!

hehehe, i think you're right. it probably took me twice as long to write it up as it did for me to do the actual ride. sorta like doing the ride twice only really really slowly the second time.

i've been meaning to call you about the anemia. have you found out anything new? i spoke to some sports nutritionists and they decided that my problem was not anemia but a lack of calories! basically i was taking in so few calories (not intentionally) that my body was shutting down. guess anorexics have nothing on me, eh? anyway, they put me on a training diet and i think i'm beginning to feel better. the next few weeks will really tell.

hope you're feeling better.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    great pics Duck!! i stole them all for my files.

ya, i guess i do have a knack for finding the central parking spot. i put it down to the fact the my car is so small that i can just throw it anywhere. heheheh......but i'll have you know, i was not late for the race at Dauset! ;p

nice job on the light bike - 6:20 is a very respectable time for your first time.....my bike weighs about the same as yours and i'm half your height! so does that mean i was actually riding a 44 lb bike? ouch. that would explain a lot!

the winner was Greg Turner. fast dude!!! he kicks butt in 40+ expert (actually he kicks butt in all the expert age groups!) SERC races. i think he also does some of the GAP races. amazing rider and, i've heard, all around nice guy.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Yah. Well. rt did a nice job describing those sections. Fortunately I can push a bike with the best of them, and enjoy it too.
    thanks!

it's a really fun ride. lots of fireroad climbing but the pay off on the mountaintown single track and windy gap are so worth it. oh, and the views are stellar!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Once_Upon_A_Time
    For a moment there, I thought I was someplace else.
    you're welcome!

glad you enjoyed it.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa
    Another great write-up. Thanks for the "play by play".

Tom

thanks tom!

glad you enjoyed it.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

paintbucket
    the heartburn immediately after the pb kinda sucked though! guess i need to experiment with some other stick-to-my-ribs options.
    Tums would've taken care of that, plus they're the best thing going for cramps. Its a two for one deal. Don't leave home without 'em!

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCruz
    I was hoping you'ld do a write up on your 'race.' You've got 'the way' with words. When are you gonna start getting published? Your stuff would be a welcomed read in most any of the local road or mtb publications. I think. Duckman's write up was a good one also! Thanks to the both of you for giving me grins and grimmesses from you descriptions of the day!

Congrats on completing it two years in a row! Though I've ridden all the trails, I've never put them all together at once, much less in the tough route the FireWater 50 takes! Some day I'll make the route, maybe next year I won't be hiding behind the "gotta work" excuse.

On the food / peanut butter thing... I've always like the idea of eating the heavy stuff the first hour or two (the pbj), then the power bars and lastly the gels. But then again, I know you've got to go with what you know works, especially on race day!

The winner, Thomas Turner or was it Greg Turner? I heard Greg (the old guy :-) ) wins this thing each year. Yes, Thomas Turner, the really young guy (we call him the fastest kid around at the shop since he holds the fastest lap at the 24HOA at Conyers, GA for the last two years) would surely win if he did the ride. Both are incredible riders and are always out front in their class.

Stay safe on and off the roads *rt*.

SC
    One of your many secret admirers. hehehe :-)
    thanks! it still always surprises me how much people seem to like the long winded race reports! don't know about getting published. never really thought about it. wouldn't even really know where to send stuff. it'd be cool though!

you should give the firewater 50 (it's actually 44-ish miles! shhhhh!) a try. it's great for an all day casual ride. lots of scenery and many places for people to regroup. each time i do it i think 'gee, i should really come out and do this more often'.....and then i never do.

you're right. it was Greg Turner who won, not thomas. Greg's amazing. i aspire to be riding that well in 10 years!

thanks again SC!

rt (secret admirers are cool. )

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging