Another " Last race of the season report"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Another " Last race of the season report"

“ Last race of the year” was supposed to be the North star race at Tahoe back in September. I felt great and had trained hard for that race. I was breaking all my records for my usual loops and was excited to do well. But….NOOOOO. The day before the race I came down with some f*king bug! I showed up at the race with the attitude that you never know how your going to feel till you get going, well the race started and 5 minutes later I DNF’D, the low point in the season for me.
    Since then I have not been on the bike a lot due to Business and family vacation in Kauai. What a blast, here’s my son going off the rope swing at Kipu falls.

I knew I wasn’t in “race shape” for this weekend but I really wanted to end the season finishing a race so I figured I would give the TBF race in Granite Bay a try. It’s a non NORBRA event, flat, not technical, 30 miles for Expert Class.
    It felt great the week before and the day before the race to not have the severe case of pre race jitters that I usually have. FINALLY after 3 years I just get a “ normal” amount of the jitters the night before the race. I showed up ready to go. Did my warm up on the trainer, felt fine, no excuses today. They start all the age groups together in Expert class. We line up…. ready set go!!!!!!!!
    Were off down the flat straightaway and I’m way up in 5th!! There is a Mook on a Cyclecross bike in front of me and I know he’ll slow me down when we get the singletrack, so I put the hammer down and pass him. I’m thinking “all that rest did me good, I’m going to kick ass today”. About ¼ of the way in to lap 1 someone passes me, then another, I’m starting to get the “ I can’t keep this pace up feeling”, I back off a bit. Then a guy who I’ve beat by at least a few minutes 2 times this year passes me! That hurt! Oh man, it’s going to be a long demoralizing day!
    After finishing lap 1 I’ve lost count how many riders have passed me. For some reason my lower back is killing me, so I spend about half the race standing. I’m determined to keep on going as hard I can.
    Half way through lap 2 I see a bunch of riders in the trail. There is a racer down with blood all over his head! Scary stuff. I here he “ Just” had a nasty concussion; they took him off in an ambulance and is OK.

Lap 3, no more spectators to cheer you on, no more riders that I can see, am I the last Expert out on the course?? Have I gotten that slow?? I’m hurting now just praying for the f*king race to end, going as hard as I can. Legs are starting to cramp, lower back is killing me, the “extra GU” fell out of pants leg, so I’m riding on fumes! Finally the finish line is in site I’m done ….2:20 minutes. 10 minutes longer then I thought it would take.
    I hang around at the finish talking with some folks about the race and still see some other racers finishing, THANK GOD! I have no clue how many riders were in my age group 40-49, so I need to wait for the awards to see how I did. They finally get to the Experts for the awards and to my surprise I got third in my class. No exclamation point. There were only 4 guys in the group, but it still felt good to get on the podium. I’m so easy. That blue dot on the left is me.

The race season is over, time for some long slow road rides and lots of fun on the single speed!
    Last edited by merlin; 11-08-2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spellin
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Preemptive Revenger

congrats!

well I can't explain why, but I too know that taking 3rd with only 4 riders in the class is almost as much fun as taking 3rd with 20 riders in the class! Good job!
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

i worship Mr T
    nice job merlin!!

that vacation looks amazing!

rt - happy winter (training)
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member

WooHoo! Transition Time!

Have a beer on me Merlin, great season! Good write up, looks like your son's having all the fun there ;-) It's been fun comparing notes on performance ups & downs in our paralell expert quests. I'm looking to be competitive next year here in the rockies, so the winter will be crucial for "cross" and strength traing. Just got soem good running shoes(!) if you can imagine.

Just started assembling the winter training regimen and next years race schedule - Mammoth Championships is on there as an A+ race! Hope you can / want to make it. I'll still be looking you up in the spring sometime during my wife & I's Cali / NW USA road trip.

Anyhow, good job, and fun write up! Oh how I know those feelings of "I better back off the pace a bit" (but am not going that slow) only to find that, well, I wasn't going that fast either! Ah yes, racing..... 'tis indeed a measure of Passion IMO.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member

Thanks Glen!

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Have a beer on me Merlin, great season! Good write up, looks like your son's having all the fun there ;-) It's been fun comparing notes on performance ups & downs in our paralell expert quests. I'm looking to be competitive next year here in the rockies, so the winter will be crucial for "cross" and strength traing. Just got soem good running shoes(!) if you can imagine.

Just started assembling the winter training regimen and next years race schedule - Mammoth Championships is on there as an A+ race! Hope you can / want to make it. I'll still be looking you up in the spring sometime during my wife & I's Cali / NW USA road trip.

Anyhow, good job, and fun write up! Oh how I know those feelings of "I better back off the pace a bit" (but am not going that slow) only to find that, well, I wasn't going that fast either! Ah yes, racing..... 'tis indeed a measure of Passion IMO.
    I'm really sorry to hear that you bought some running shoes Hope you don't hurt yourself! Ah yes the "offseason". I'm sticking with worked for me last winter, Build Power and endurance on the Singlespeed! Do "core" and upper body workouts in the gym a couple days per week. No leg workouts for in the gym. I'm psyhced to turn 45 nest year! No more racing against the 40-44 kids
    I'm going to do a bunch of road races next season and also take a lot more recoverey weeks so I don't burn out again.
    Definatley look me up if you come out to California. You should do the Sea Otter!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Merlin, congrats on your season.

I've just got a question for you. You said you're not going to do any leg workouts in the gym. What's up with that?

The reason I ask is that the last two years in a row I've injured my knees during my winter weight training, and now I'm wondering if I use a different approach for building leg strength in the winter w/o doing weights.

mtbr member

Weight Training

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhead
    Hey Merlin, congrats on your season.

I've just got a question for you. You said you're not going to do any leg workouts in the gym. What's up with that?

The reason I ask is that the last two years in a row I've injured my knees during my winter weight training, and now I'm wondering if I use a different approach for building leg strength in the winter w/o doing weights.
    This winter will be 4th "offseason" training for racing. The first 2 offseasons I went to the gym and did the weight training prescribed by my coach at CTS. I never got hurt like you did but I had 2 problems with it: I hated it!!! & my legs were always killing me. I live in a hilly area, so when it was time do a 3 hour road ride I would have 5,000 feet of climbing, the day or two after doing 3 sets of weights on my legs! This really put a damper on how many hours I could ride. So last season I decided to do all my lower body work on the SINGLESPEED and overgeared climbing on the roadbike. The result is I got A LOT more hours on the bike and I was faster then ever this season I still did core and upper body work 2x per week in the gym. FYI, there have been a lot of threads on this topic, weight training vs strenght training on the bike, here is one I just read http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=18701.
    I know threre are a lot of folks out there doing the Morris plan and will probabley disagree with me. I encourage all of you to post your opinion so my post is on the top and we can beat out all the Pete Soap opera threads on this board!