Des(s)ert Rat

Another excursion...

And I don't mean a fat SUV.

Loaded up the car and headed southwest into Utah and Nevada. Spent a couple nights in "Wonderland" with all the blinky lights, but besides some poolside fun and a fabulous multi-course meal, we spent most of the time away from the city.

The first day we were there we rode out near Cottonwood Canyon. No photos, as I forgot my camera back at the hotel. But the flowers were brilliant and D climbed better than expected. J and I took off up over Badger Pass on the way back down to the car and found a 5 inch horny toad before descending back down to the road.

The on the way back to Utah we made a detour into Valley of Fire and there I took photos. Since TVC15 already spilled the beans on the print (I thought it would be harder), I'll post all the critter shots, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Des(s)ert Rat

Riding shots...

Yeah, I know what you really want.

These were taken outside of Hurricane, UT. And yes, I'm very biased towards taking photos of my daughter, but she rocked it! No photos of T or J since we had to do the trade off (I worked AM and T worked PM).

Des(s)ert Rat

My souvenir....

I had a run in with my handle bar attempting to go some verry steep slickrock.

However, I would encourage anyone to check out the Hurricane area, pronounced Hurkun by most of the locals.

HTFU and Ride
    great shots!

man oh man i wish i lived out west!
    Winter is coming.

NedwannaB

Awesome family outting!

Thx for sharing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I would encourage anyone to check out the Hurricane area, pronounced Hurkun by most of the locals.
    Yeah, what's up with that?

That's almost as irritating as all the slaughtered pronunciations of rivers, roads and towns
    in the central Texas area.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

NMBP
    Looks like you got Quinten to show you around Guacamole.

edit, Sorry I left out Eddie, he would be disappointed.
    Last edited by crashtestdummy; 06-04-2008 at 09:27 AM.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Gravity Tester
    Guacamole is a super fun trail. Thanks for the pics & memories.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    that bruise is purty.

how old is your daughter? my son will be 2 in july. i can't wait until he is old enough to go mountain biking.
    Last edited by tomk96; 06-04-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk96
    how old is your daughter? my son will be 2 in july. i can't wait until he is old enough to go mountain biking.
    She's ten. Both my kids have ridden singletrack from a pretty young age. At three they rode trail-a-bikes. As a parent the most important thing you need to do is make it fun. If it's not fun, they won't share the passion.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    So cool Screampint. I dream of the day I can go riding with my daughter (only 2 at this point). She gets pretty excited whenever she’s around them or sees me coming home from work on one. I always have to get her up on the saddle (while holding her of course) while my wife wheels the bike around the driveway. It isn't really riding but she loves it and thinks it is. I got a seat for her the other day that I’m going to take her out on the paved paths on and I expect she’s going to go crazy with excitement. Her tricycle gets a lot of use as well. She loves it too. It’s a start!

I’d never force her into doing something she isn’t interested in but I will introduce her to a lot of different stuff; she can decide what she wants. Riding will be the one thing I secretly pray she’ll enjoy as much as I do. It would be so much fun to ride trail or road or whatever with her.

Again Screampint, very cool. Thanks for sharing your outing.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice and that was some run in with your bars.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Eddie was the lead. DJ was there, too. It was a fun ride for sure. That area has so much to offerr.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska!
    Id never force her into doing something she isnt interested in but I will introduce her to a lot of different stuff; she can decide what she wants. Riding will be the one thing I secretly pray shell enjoy as much as I do. It would be so much fun to ride trail or road or whatever with her.
    Make it fun, and she will. Both my kids asked me to take the training wheels off and the weekly family bike ride was made into an activity with chocolate malts or other treat at the end. I'm not above bribery

Members who have read this thread: 0