EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1

Many of you know this story. Early May is full of endings and new beginnings, remembrances and anticipation. Going to the desert is a really fine way to commemorate this time of year.

In some years, I am able to get out of town on Friday afternoon. This was not one of those years. In fact, it appeared that if I didn't ride in Boulder on Saturday morning, I would not be able to fit in a ride that day. So, in the spirit of "Always ride", I took a break from packing and went for a little spin. I managed to wrangle all of my crapola into my car and attempted to roll out of town. I was less than a mile from home when I realized something that I forgot. After going back, running three errands, and gassing up the car, it was finally time. Escape velocity achieved!

The calendar notwithstanding, Summit County, Colorado still has a considerable amount of snow.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3591-1.jpg

It was an easy drive to Grand Junction and I was happy to spend the evening with my friends, riding cruiser bikes and listening to music downtown.

Sunday morning, I headed off for a solo excursion to 18 Road. Singletrack was ridden.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3592-1.jpg

Scenery was beheld.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3594-1.jpg

And I headed back 'home' for brunch with my friends.

I had planned to head into the San Rafael Swell with another friend on Monday. He had to bail and the forecast looked crappy (rain+wind+camping in Goblin Valley = suck). So I took a rest day and caught up on work.

Tuesday morning looked better and I didn't want to wear out my welcome in Junction. So I loaded up and rolled off to Moab. Oh, but first a distraction just off the highway.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3599.jpg

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3600.jpg

The scenery on the River Road still rocks my boat.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3601.jpg

I acquired a desirable campsite on Sand Flats Road....

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3607.jpg

...and dropped back into town to ride one of my favorites: a relaxing, scenic spin.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3609.jpg

I suspected that these would come out well in black and white.

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3613.jpg

Always Ride: 2011 Edition: Part 1-img_3615.jpg

And then it was back to camp for a tranquil evening.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Nice. Hey, I know that guy!

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nice set. I need to get back to Moab/Fruita before it gets too hot.... prolly won't make it until fall though.

For "Always Riding" you sure do a lot of non-riding activities. J/K. It's nice to have time to just wander around and hit some of the other cool things to see in the area. We did Dead Horse Point and Arches when we were there last month and it was a surprisingly refreshing change.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thank you. I thought about how short two years can seem, yet how odd it is not to have had a visit in the spring.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Nice set. I need to get back to Moab/Fruita before it gets too hot.... prolly won't make it until fall though.

For "Always Riding" you sure do a lot of non-riding activities. J/K. It's nice to have time to just wander around and hit some of the other cool things to see in the area. We did Dead Horse Point and Arches when we were there last month and it was a surprisingly refreshing change.
    I'm glad you like them. You may still have time to get back; it may not get hot this year until June (or July?) with the crazy weather this spring. Fall is excellent, as well.

You may think I'm not riding that much, but I rode at 18 Road, Hurrah Pass, Pipe Dream (twice), Sovereign, and Intrepid (twice) on this trip. That seemed like enough. :-) There is definitely a lot more to do in that area, for certain and it's nice to have the time and energy to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Thank you. I thought about how short two years can seem, yet how odd it is not to have had a visit in the spring.
    So short and so long at the same time. Funny how life is like that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics. Thanks for posting. One of the best things about mountain biking is all the cool things you see along the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0