mtbr member
    Dec 2008

all that work has paid off

So yesterday me and one of my biking buddies were riding our local trail on a quick 1 hour ride. We were at the top of a somewhat steep hill taking a break when some guy comes riding past us seemingly slowly. This guy is obviously in better shape than both of us. After a moment he gets out of sight the first thing i do is turn to my friend and say "lets catch him!". I don't even wait for his answer before I take off down the hill after him. I ride this trail once or twice every week and have never ridden this portion as fast as I did. Needless to say we caught him after maybe 200 yards . We politely pass but that was only half of it, we had to ride to get far enough away so that he wouldn't simply pass us again when we go to take a break. So we ride another 5 min or so as fast as we can just to make sure.

Its good to know that sometimes having more experience can beat being in better shape.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

mtbr member
    So you passed a guy moving slowly, going downhill and that means you're in good shape?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    we had to ride to get far enough away so that he wouldn't simply pass us again when we go to take a break. So we ride another 5 min or so as fast as we can just to make sure.
    He has got to be trolling

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    So you passed a guy moving slowly, going downhill and that means you're in good shape?
    No, sorry I made it a bit unclear. we only passed him because we could ride the more technical stuff faster. It was the first time I've ever known that I was faster than someone just because of skill.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Not necessarily trolling . . .

. . . unless I'm missing something here.

I refer to myself as "aerobically challenged." No matter how I try, there's a definite top end to my aerobic performance that seems to be lower than that of many cyclists. However, there's nothing to prevent me from building my techncial skills.

Despite my lack of aerobic capability, I have raced a few times. On long climbs, I get to see a lot of butts go by. When when the trail turned to a technical, rocky downhill, I reeled 'em back in. I gotta' say it felt good. Even when the uphill turned technical, I was able to keep pedalin' when others were dismountin' & hike-a-bikin', which helped make up some time.

Of course, the optimal situation is to have good aerobics and technical skills, so those folks just left me in their dust throughout the race. Furthermore, since the climbing takes a long time and the descending goes by real fast, the stronger climber will usually have the advantage as there's just not enough time on the downhill to make up the difference. We know our limitations and we're not necessarily bragging or trying to demonstrate our coolness.

So wha't my point?--maybe the dude wasn't trolling, but rather sharing the passion of one of those little victories in life. Right or wrong, they're fun when they happen, especially if infrequently.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fischman
    . . . unless I'm missing something here.

I refer to myself as "aerobically challenged." No matter how I try, there's a definite top end to my aerobic performance that seems to be lower than that of many cyclists. However, there's nothing to prevent me from building my techncial skills.

Despite my lack of aerobic capability, I have raced a few times. On long climbs, I get to see a lot of butts go by. When when the trail turned to a technical, rocky downhill, I reeled 'em back in. I gotta' say it felt good. Even when the uphill turned technical, I was able to keep pedalin' when others were dismountin' & hike-a-bikin', which helped make up some time.

Of course, the optimal situation is to have good aerobics and technical skills, so those folks just left me in their dust throughout the race. Furthermore, since the climbing takes a long time and the descending goes by real fast, the stronger climber will usually have the advantage as there's just not enough time on the downhill to make up the difference. We know our limitations and we're not necessarily bragging or trying to demonstrate our coolness.

So wha't my point?--maybe the dude wasn't trolling, but rather sharing the passion of one of those little victories in life. Right or wrong, they're fun when they happen, especially if infrequently.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Stiff yet compliant
    That's like this one time I was in my Cavalier and I totally beat a Ferrari in a drag. He may not have know we were racing, but so what. I won.

bi-winning
    Ah yes, the classic story of winning a race against a rider who did not know there was a race at all.

I'm glad you had fun on your bike ride today. Just don't let it go to your head, ok champ?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Class Clown
    Sorry but that was just an ass move. Next time leave the guy alone or be a man and challenge him straight up.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    Sorry but that was just an ass move.
    Ass?
    He claims to have made a polite pass. I don't see how that would cause any problems for the other rider.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't think he did anything to be considered an ass. He felt like he accomplished something. I've been there in the past when I started to get a little faster and passed someone wearing full team lycra. It felt great but I knew if I told him I was racing. The next time I would see him would be at the trail head driving away in his car as I just finished the trail.

meow meow
    now if you lost the race to the biker that didnt even known he was racing...

but i feel ya its always nice to know while people are in better shape you still got better skills that can only be had through trail time.

mtbr member
    Maybe the guy already logged 20+ miles that day and was on his way back to the parking lot. Way to go, speedy. Fat guys pass me all the time when I'm climbing the hill to get back to my car after I torched myself on a three hour ride. Think I care?

mtbr member
    btw, I used to feel that way about passing riders on the trail too, but then I started XC racing and realized there are a BAJILLION people faster than me.

mtbr member

I rode very slowly yesterday

and was passed, on technical stuff, by a guy who might be faster and more skilled than I.
    I've also just come off of a week+ of sickness, still coughing up a lung, and generally pretty damn weak.
    Yeah, the guy who passed me may still be faster and more skilled, but he may not be. Either way, I had a fun time, feel like I've turned the corner on this cold, and returned home to my wonderful family.

That and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    if you do something cool in the woods and no one sees it is it still cool and does it even count? i sometimes mistake my skill for fitness but never fitness for skill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wow, dude gets on here and posts about a little victory in life. He's just saying that he's been working hard to improve, and feels like he's getting there. It might not have meant anything to you, but it did to him. And what happens? He gets slammed by almost everyone.

This is supposed to be the "Passion" forum. Between this and the JP Nuts thread, there sure are a lot of haters on this board. But then again, everyone is a ****ing hoss on the internet, aren't they?

OP, good luck, keep riding hard!

All fat, all the time.
    lighten up guys!
    Remember there will always be someone faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Note to self: Remind me to never post on this forum because a bunch of a$$holes reside here, who have nothing better to do than flame posts.

To the OP glad you felt like you accomplished a small victory in the road of life. That's what it is all about. I was able to climb a hill yesterday without having to get off my bike but who wants to post on this forum, you will be crucified.

No wonder I don't post on here much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTX
    Wow, dude gets on here and posts about a little victory in life. He's just saying that he's been working hard to improve, and feels like he's getting there. It might not have meant anything to you, but it did to him. And what happens? He gets slammed by almost everyone.

This is supposed to be the "Passion" forum. Between this and the JP Nuts thread, there sure are a lot of haters on this board. But then again, everyone is a ****ing hoss on the internet, aren't they?

OP, good luck, keep riding hard!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape98
    We politely pass but that was only half of it, we had to ride to get far enough away so that he wouldn't simply pass us again when we go to take a break. So we ride another 5 min or so as fast as we can just to make sure.

Its good to know that sometimes having more experience can beat being in better shape.
    Why did you need to take a break?

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by snommisbor
    Note to self: Remind me to never post on this forum because a bunch of a$$holes reside here, who have nothing better to do than flame posts.
    welcome to mtbr?

Members who have read this thread: 0