Ah, Winter (CA sunshine style)- Mtbr.com
    trail rat

Ah, Winter (CA sunshine style)

Ok, TX and AZ are not the only places suffering through sun, blue sky, and temps high 60's to low 80's in February; this is central coastal CA. Five different days, same ride, 16 miles and 2500 feet of climbing; some rides at 700am and others at 200pm. Ocean is only 2 miles away, but this is a sandy desert, coming alive after 10 days of almost steady rain.. Solo rides I stop and "smell the roses". Ain't winter horrid?

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Jackass
    I hate you.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

amar la vida de dos niner
    I wondered when you were finally going to share something from all that riding you've been doing!

This one is especially nice.

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    did the full bautista and did the new ridge trail. absolutely phenomenal!!! did east boundry down and went back and did ridge again just to decsend it. maybe we crossed paths last saturday?
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55
    did the full bautista and did the new ridge trail. absolutely phenomenal!!! did east boundry down and went back and did ridge again just to decsend it. maybe we crossed paths last saturday?
    I started about 730am Horse Camp to East Boundary, Islay, Ridge (new), East Boundary, Manzanita to Horse Camp and was out of there by 1130am to get to work by 200pm. Looks like you were there later, after Cerro Cabrillo (Bautista).

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    I wondered when you were finally going to share something from all that riding you've been doing!

This one is especially nice.
    Too busy riding almost every day to process photos.
    I wish I could show that entire grove of old oaks; that is 1/10 of the stand, but on a steep sidehill and surrounds you on the trail.

You do like the twisty trees, don't you?

mtbr member
    Looks like the Montana De Oro area trails we did on vacation down there in August 2003 We rode the ridge trail to hazard peak and back down Isley road or something like that, very nice.
    We were also on the beach at Avila the morning that 14 foot great white shark killed the college teacher who was out for her daily swim in the bay.. very sad
    Great photos of those trails..thanks for posting them.. I cant wait to go back there with my surf boards and mtb bikes for another vacation and a little more surf and turf.. Glad those whitey's cant ride a bike though.. whew..that would really suck
    Last edited by mteez; 02-14-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Till we all fall down, itll do you fine,
    Dont think about what you left behind
    The way you came or the way you go

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by mteez
    Glad those whitey's cant ride a bike though.. whew..that would really suck
    wellll.....

Don't harsh my mello

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mteez
    Looks like the Montana De Oro area trails we did on vacation down there in August 2003 We rode the ridge trail to hazard peak and back down Isley road or something like that, very nice.
    We were also on the beach at Avila the morning that 14 foot great white shark killed the college teacher who was out for her daily swim in the bay.. very sad
    Great photos of those trails..thanks for posting them.. I cant wait to go back there with my surf boards and mtb bikes for another vacation and a little more surf and turf.. Glad those whitey's cant ride a bike though.. whew..that would really suck
    You will hate me. I drive the 6 miles to jms' house, and then we ride the 2 miles into MdO Park entrance, and keep going. New 'Ridge trail is really nice, easier climbing in the talc and rocks. I've been out there seven times in the last two weeks - including this morning.

The woman bitten was a friend of a friend of mine. It was tragic, but she was doing ocean swims that she loved, and fully accepted the risks. Her friends felt it was better than being in a wreck on the highway, if her time had come.......

mtbr member
    Sigh. Sooo nice. You guys are killing me here.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    How Ya Going Sloc
    ..No hate here.. I think its great that someone can go out their front door and just do awesome rides in senic places like that. It looks like you're "living the dream" for us all so to speak and your photos are a welcome sight for those of us who need a little eye candy to help brighten up a day. I always enjoy looking at the cool places out there to go and ride someday. Its like this little orange carrot dangling out in front of my nose that helps get me through a rough week at work or another gloomy rainy day weekend, so keep on posting those gems when you can.
    I thought maybe you might have known something of that fatal shark attack over there since it was big news and close to your general location.
    I was in the area that day hunting around for some wave's to surf when that tragic incident took place.
    I still wanted to get in the water and eventually paddled out at Pismo Beach since the other beaches had been already officially closed by the local police/sheriff/city council etc. At Pismo there were all these warning signs posted in the sand everywhere and several packs of lifeguards were driving up and down the beach all day in white pickups,shouting with bullhorns in hand and advising all five or six of us idiots still surfing to consider getting out of the water. I stayed in anyway and got my share of waves until the late afternoon but felt a little uneasy if I drifted out too far past the lineup. Please give my regards to her friends of friends, friends and loved ones if you can, Im sure she is very sorely missed regardless of the circumstances.

Let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow
    Last edited by mteez; 02-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    You do like the twisty trees, don't you?
    Why yes. Yes, I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    slocaus, you lucky bastid'. looks like you're living the dream!!! i would have pm but i was not sure of our time frame for riding. been going down for 9 years now and every time i'm there seems better than the last. looking at early may. maybe we can connect?

p.s. scorpiowoman, keep sending the pics! both my wife and i have family in texas.

p.s. scorpiowoman, keep sending the pics! both my wife and i have family in texas.
    Looks like we'll have a break from riding for a couple of days, while we get some welcome rain. But I'll be back!

(If you guys come down to visit your families, be sure to notify the local riders. We all love showing off our wonderful trails.)

just along for the ride
    Shark sitings have become very common this year due to the moronic coddling of the exploding elephant seal community in the North county. That colony went from 300 to 15,000 in ten years and is being treated as a tourist attraction We lost surfing spots and it has attracted the landlord in the gray suit to all area beaches. They use to close the beaches for 5 days on a siting but the hotel owners complained it hurt business so now they just post it. I can bet we will have more people killed soon by great whites and if their family gets lawyered up they will go after the state for encouraging swimmers/surfers while coddling the sharks main food, those darn seals! Oh well best stick to mtn biking anyway

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    like we say on the north coast, the mountain always breaks!!

trail rat
    i would have pm but i was not sure of our time frame for riding. been going down for 9 years now and every time i'm there seems better than the last. looking at early may. maybe we can connect?
    Absolutely! jms (former SC area, now lives here) is a fun hog, and up for anything as well. I chase him all over these hills.

Yesterday was magnificent! Visibility was 30, 50 miles, who knows. Offshore winds blew the marine layer way away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Sigh. Sooo nice. You guys are killing me here.
    Yea, me too.

just along for the ride
    Just don't fall on me now. In 20 years, sure why not, at 70 if a shark wants me he can chomp away

[QUOTE=norton55]like we say on the north coast, the mountain always breaks!! [/QUOTE

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    no way. i have pals that are pushing 70! they don't rip, they are just smooth.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

... and if we just ... We all hate you

Those pictures you posted; they seemed awful bright. As if there was some type of large orb in the sky that illuminated everything making the earth dry. Such madness.

You keep your mythical magical orb; we hear in the Pacific NorthWET like our moss thank you very much. We just adapt
    Last edited by Mellow Yellow; 02-15-2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

dh1
    mtbr member
    Please send some sunshine and warmth to Michigan.... We really need it. Something like 8 days with 50% possible sunshine since the end of November. I have worn my sunglasses once since Halloween .

For some reason, my wife looks absolutely beautiful with fair/snowy white skin. I look like a computer programmer with pneumonia under fluorescent lights . I am desperate for some warm sun....so thanks for the pictures.

Actually, on a positive note, the sky is blue in Michigan today ...but it is only 16deg F. If I didn't have a ton of crap to do today, I would take my new bike out for a snowy trail ride so I cold get frostbite and a sunburn at the same time.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    Those pictures you posted; they seemed awful bright. As if there was some type of large orb in the sky that illuminated everything making the earth dry. Such madness.

You keep your mythical magical orb; we hear in the Pacific NorthWET like our moss thank you very much. We just adapt

that's why i had to go south. i was getting moldy and it was time to loose my redwood tan!

Basha Felika
    Those are some damn nice photos...almost make me forget being off the trails for so long.
    "Will you have nuts or a cigar, sir?" --an English soldier after Rourke's Drift

mtbr dismember

Me too!

I had a great, sun shiny, warm day at Auburn, CA today too! After living most of my life in snow and cold, I never fail to appreciate winters in California, even at a tortoise pace. A few photos here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=383520

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I had a great, sun shiny, warm day at Auburn, CA today too! After living most of my life in snow and cold, I never fail to appreciate winters in California, even at a tortoise pace. A few photos here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=383520
    I've been following your wonderful photos, and your knees , for some time. Congrats on getting back out there, it feels good doesn't it?

I missed 2/3 of 2007 thanks to broken bones, MRSA, and other medical uh, frustrations, (advice to all - don't get old). It feels soooooo good to ride, and I'm going after it "like an old woman killin' snakes with a rake", as my granddad used to say.

trail rat
    Saturday. Don't have to be to work until 2pm. Oh darn, another &%$#@ sunny day in paradise, I guess I have to ride!

Look out, it might be a trap!

Very dewy morning, the ocean finally forced some marine air inland overnight.

A pebbles view of the dew in the grass.

Coyote! It was 20 feet from the trail when I topped this rise. Sauntered away as I fumbled for the camera. (Right in front of the water.)

I wonder what the poor people are doing today?

Yep, we are going over there.

Members who have read this thread: 0