Coors, the american beer.

5 days of driving, 4 days of riding.

Im from northern california, and going to be living in Minocqua, WI for the summer.

So heres all the riding i did on the way

Day 2. Winnemucca, NV

Day 3: Vedavoo, Wyoming
    camping at vedavoo

mtn biking at vedavoo (apparently this place is famous for bouldering / rock climbing)

dinner

Day 4: Des Moines, IA

and afterwords, time to drink

midwest tacos are huge. I stomached all 3 though.

Day 5: Savage, MN

me

me

if anyone is interested in seeing ALL the pictures from this trip, they can be found here.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...d.php?p=969275
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    SWEET! Thanks for posting those. In two weeks I'm headed from Moab to Northern MN with my rig (via WY) -- spending the summer there -- and was going to ask if there is any decent mtn. biking along the way. I had no idea about the place in Wyoming. This is going to make this trip a lot more interesting. The Murphy-Hanrehan park in Savage looks really great. It's going to be a week on the road for me... and I always like to spend a day or two in Gothenburg, NE, my favorite American small town. Stop through there on the way back. The downtown area is sad but the rest of the town is beautiful. Friendliest people in America. Even the kid (there was only one) who looked like she was maybe hatin' life a little stopped and asked me if I was lost and need directions, ha.....

Thanks again. I wasn't looking forward to the long drive but I'm looking forward to it now.

Were there any spaces at Vedavoo big enough for a 36' fifth-wheel? (And last year, entering WY, I saw a rig identical to mine, and it's huge already, pulling another 20 ft' trailer behind it. Couldn't believe it. That's insane.)

Jen

edit: Looked at the rest of your pics. "Kum and Go" -- ha -- isn't that the most hilarious name ever? Does anyone there get the joke? I have a collection of pics of midwestern yard art. I'll try to find the gold medal winner and post it. Their yard art freaks me out. They love to put up statues of what look like real things, like German shep's, and deer, right by the street, and I always think I'm about to hit something. Cabella's -- yeah, that was welcome sight. Look forward to stopped in again on the trip this year. I lived in Chico until I moved into my rig this time last year. Miss Bidwell Park. You don't truly appreciate it until you don't have it.

This is a fun site for future reference: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I love the midwest. It's a crazy, flat, "corn"y, peaceful, friendly, heart-attack-waiting-to-happen kind of place. Can't wait to get back.
    Last edited by cannesdo; 05-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

oh Lucky me
    sweet pics!!! that just adds more power to my argument that the desert of AZ SUCKS!!! theres too many d@mn cantelope sized razor sharp rocks....

looks like some awesome trails though!
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

bust a move
    Looks like great times...thanks for sharing

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Man I love a good adventure. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

Noob
    Love it! Spent couple of years at school in Laramie, now living up in the north country of Duluth, MN!

Cannesdo are you coming this far north??
    MTB Blog

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Yep, I'm spending the summer on Cass Lake, 10 miles east of Bemidji. There's a great fishing resort there that bordered my grandmother's house and I spent time in the summer there when I was a kid. I drove through Duluth on the way to Ashland, WI last September. That's a really different kind of town. Has such a different feel to it. Is it me, or does it feel sort of "Alaskan"? I just heard about that ski resort up north of you. I might drive over and ride that this summer. Any other suggestions you might have for biking, I'd love to hear them. I'm going to go into serious withdrawal. Might get a kayak for the summer, maybe that'll help.

And that's where I get my yearly dose of kid energy. Campfires, s'mores...and lots of fresh-caught walleye.

Laramie is another town that looked interesting. I almost stayed there for the night but pushed on to Cheyenne (not much there, wished I'd stayed at Laramie, I will this time). Did you like Laramie?

OP, you have a job at a summer camp? That looks great....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cannesdo; 05-30-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Darn, I see that Savage is just outside the Twin Cities. I don't want to take my rig through there. Weird story though, I was planning to go through there, S to N, on the day the bridge went down. 21,500 lbs of rig, Waited a week where I was because my temporary registration had expired and I was waiting for the plates. Otherwise I would have been crossing that bridge that afternoon. Freakkkkkky. Because of that, the bridges in the Duluth area had me all freaked out. I now have a new rule. I separate myself from other big rigs, semi's etc...when crossing bridges. I know the chances are slim but I'm doing what I can not to add to the stress.

*shivers*...

Actually, I might head down to Decorah for Nordic Fest (sans rig) and stop in Savage on the way. Mmm....yeah...that sounds like a plan. Unless diesel hits $6 a gallon in July...

Quote Originally Posted by cannesdo
    SWEET! Thanks for posting those. In two weeks I'm headed from Moab to Northern MN with my rig (via WY) -- spending the summer there -- and was going to ask if there is any decent mtn. biking along the way. I had no idea about the place in Wyoming.
    i actually hit the weak loop. When you get to the top of 80 (summit) go to the rest area and get a map, and then camp at the other place, that is where all the real good mtn biking is. This place is between laramie and cheyenne, i had no idea there was a mtn range there, my original plan for day 3 was to push on to Kearney, NE then not have as far of a drive the next day, but when i seen that area i had to check it out.

This is going to make this trip a lot more interesting. The Murphy-Hanrehan park in Savage looks really great.
    Murphy-Hanrehan park in savage was my favorite ride along the way. Apparently the trails were only built a year or so ago ... plenty of room to park a huge rig too ... the ranger warned us of break ins so i hid all the electronics under the jacket and just hoped my tools / camp gear that was in the back of the truck would be ok. It was all good

It's going to be a week on the road for me... and I always like to spend a day or two in Gothenburg, NE, my favorite American small town. Stop through there on the way back. The downtown area is sad but the rest of the town is beautiful. Friendliest people in America. Even the kid (there was only one) who looked like she was maybe hatin' life a little stopped and asked me if I was lost and need directions, ha.....
    im planning to go back via the northern states because i plan to do a bunch of riding in Montana, and then also BC if i have time, so no nebraska haha.

Were there any spaces at Vedavoo big enough for a 36' fifth-wheel? (And last year, entering WY, I saw a rig identical to mine, and it's huge already, pulling another 20 ft' trailer behind it. Couldn't believe it. That's insane.)
    plenty of room. The campground had at LEAST 50 trailer sites, only 1 of which had someone in it ... and you guessed it, i was the only person in the tent camping area.

Jen

edit: Looked at the rest of your pics. "Kum and Go" -- ha -- isn't that the most hilarious name ever? Does anyone there get the joke? I have a collection of pics of midwestern yard art. I'll try to find the gold medal winner and post it. Their yard art freaks me out. They love to put up statues of what look like real things, like German shep's, and deer, right by the street, and I always think I'm about to hit something. Cabella's -- yeah, that was welcome sight. Look forward to stopped in again on the trip this year. I lived in Chico until I moved into my rig this time last year. Miss Bidwell Park. You don't truly appreciate it until you don't have it.
    yea i was laughin when i saw the kum & go, cabelas was dope also, i bought another air matress cause mine was leaking (returned the leaking one to the wal mart haha gotta love buying a matress in nevada and returning it in nebraska)

My dad says i need to stop at a bass pro shop if i see one, i saw one right over the nebraska / iowa border, but i drivin fast to make it to des moines by 6p for the "taco ride" (originally i budgeted plenty of time, but overlooked changing time zones haha) rolled into the parking lot at 5:57!

And yes, i am a maintenance guy at a summer camp until august 9, we also have a lake here, brought the fishing poles, still need to get a WI fishing lisence ... heard non resident is $47

I also stopped into a couple of bike shops here in Minocqua and found out about 2 local trail systems, and made friends with a guy at one of em who offered to go along and split gas to Marquette, MI if we have the same day off. Marquette apparently has some awesome riding compared to where i am now.

Yeah, northern states are a good move. ND is rockin... . Montana is my home state and I'm headed through there after MN so I'd also appreciate any trail info there. I wasn't into mtn. biking when I lived there. Especially interested in the Bozeman area (my home town) and the Bitterroot Valley/Missoula area. Keep those pics comin'! I'll probably be all these places sooner or later. (Espec. MI!)

Here's a pic of the woods/trail near Hayward, WI I'd highly recommend those too if you can get over there. Not sure where you're at. I'll look it up.

Madison is a kick in the pants too. Very bike friendly city. The trail behind the campus, along the lake -- wow. I got a little carried away and was playing "bike messenger" in the traffic in Madison. Beautiful town.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the pics of the northern states will come in august when i go back

Hayward is 100 miles west of here, so doable in under 2 hrs but ive been told not to speed at all in WI or MI with an out of state plate cause they look specifically for out of staters.

Cool. The job sounds great, have a great summer!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep, I'm spending the summer on Cass Lake, 10 miles east of Bemidji.
    Beautiful place! My family has a cabin near Cross Lake in Crow Wing county just south of Cass Lake. Great riding on snowmobile trails used only in winter. But every so often the trails wind up running right into a lake, cuz in the winter the sleds just go over the ice. Then there are those red branches with thorns that hang over the trails just high enough to catch and slice though the skin in the crook of your elbow. Then of course there is the itch weed and deer flies and mostquitos! Hah! Its the flies that help you do intervals!

Swimming in the lake after a sweaty ride in northern MN is the best of the best! Have fun and thanks for the pics!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You'll have to trade you bike for fishing gear!

Our cottage is a bit south of you, and our trips begin when the kids are done with school. We're about 15 min. from the Washburn Lake trails. You'll find big riding in Marquette, MI if you can get away.

Have a good summer.

mtbr member
    Cool trip.

Any comments on the Winnemucca trails? I live in Eastern Nevada and have read that there are some trails in Winnemucca and Battle Mountain, but from your pics they look a little disappointing. What were your thoughts? Worth driving over to take a look see?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Believe it or not, there were no mosquitos in Cass Lake last summer. Well, I saw about five, the morning I got up at dawn to take the dock picture. There just weren't any. The locals say that's not be such a strange thing lately. Any yeah, that part of Cass Lake stays shallow a long way out so you can wade out 100 feet and it's only up to your thighs. No weeds, fine sand, nice and warm. It was fun being there in early fall. The families disappeared but the fishing tournaments were fun.

mtbr member
    Enjoyed the pic's, thanks for sharing, have a great summer......
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

Noob
    ... I drove through Duluth on the way to Ashland, WI last September. That's a really different kind of town. Has such a different feel to it. Is it me, or does it feel sort of "Alaskan"? I just heard about that ski resort up north of you. I might drive over and ride that this summer. Any other suggestions you might have for biking, I'd love to hear them. I'm going to go into serious withdrawal. Might get a kayak for the summer, maybe that'll help....

Laramie is another town that looked interesting. I almost stayed there for the night but pushed on to Cheyenne (not much there, wished I'd stayed at Laramie, I will this time). Did you like Laramie?

OP, you have a job at a summer camp? That looks great....
    Yeah, I can see where you'd get that feeling of "Alaskan" when you get into Duluth. Especially with the time of year that you hit it. It can be pretty bleak in the winter, let me tell ya. I'd have to double check but the ski resort up the shore that I think you're referring to is closed to mt. bikers this year. Something about not a lot of interest coupled with insurance and all that good stuff. Stick around Duluth and ride the new and old trails we've got going here. Plenty to keep you busy I think. Drop me a note if you're going to be around on a friday, generally theres a Friday Night Ride that will involve an adult beverage or two, a combo of trails and/or road riding. Nothing big though, just good times with some good locals, anyone is welcome.

Yeah, either staying in Laramie, or camping in Vedavoo you can't go wrong. Not much in terms of things to do once you get to Cheyenne and Nebraska as a hole... I can recommend bars for just about any occasion out there. So to answer your question, yeah, I loved being out there.
    MTB Blog

mtbr member
    have fun in Minocquafornia and at Otto's..that place has treated me nicely many times hehe (you will understand sooner than later!!). Unfortunantly rising gas prices might stem the flow of tourists this summer I have a feeling, but I hope to make it up there a few times for some fun. Marquette is a MUST ride place my friend - you will be close, so go a few times. Also make sure to go to the Apostle Islands....man the whole UP and upper Wisco is incredible...so many good memories up there. The thing that will suck you in is how friendly everyone is (except the FIBS). Have fun and make the most of it my friend

wanna dance?
    Eesh. Minocqua. Get out of there.

Take a few weeks off, and ride from Duluth to Bayfield/Madeline Isl, & explore the Apostle Islands, down to Hayward, Cable, along the south Superior shore to Houghton, up to Copper Harbor, Marquette, up to Pictured Rocks, Sable Dunes, and finally head over to Mackinaw Isl (bring your bike on the ferry, no cars on the isl). You'll have seen enough natural beauty to scare you silly, and ended with enough bumbling tourists to prepare you for Minocqua again.

Bayfield and The Apostle Islands are wonderful. Get to know them.

wanna dance?
    ...you're not working Manitowish are ya?

Linoleum Knife
    I had no idea about the place in Wyoming.
    Make sure to hit Curt Gowdy state park in Wyo. (near Vedauwoo) 20-something miles of purpose-built MTB trails.

Super
    Duper
    FUN.

Cat Herder
    Great pics.

Wow, Nevada landscape looks great. Wyoming locale is pretty cool too. Obviously, I don't see too much terrain like that out east here.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Dude THREE tacos at Griffs??? Did someone have to tow you and your bike back to where you were staying? Sorry I wasn't able to meet you on the taco ride, I had forgotten you were in town that night and went out for an easy spin on the road bike instead.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Make sure to hit Curt Gowdy state park in Wyo. (near Vedauwoo) 20-something miles of purpose-built MTB trails.

Super
    Duper
    FUN.

+2

My last couple of months out there I rode the CRAP out of that place. Usually followed by a 'Fat Burrito' or a stop at 3rd St.
    MTB Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Cool trip.

Any comments on the Winnemucca trails? I live in Eastern Nevada and have read that there are some trails in Winnemucca and Battle Mountain, but from your pics they look a little disappointing. What were your thoughts? Worth driving over to take a look see?
    honestly if you happen to be passing by id ride em, but i wouldnt make a specific trip to ride em. Maybe if the loop was marked better or guided i woulda liked em better, but they were just ok. I dont want to knock em too much cause apparently they were built not too long ago and before that there was nothing out there. So maybe the system just needs more time to be built.

Anyways, if you happen to be near ELY check out this guys site
    https://www.motosapiens.net/

he used to post on mtbr also not sure if he still does.

Quote Originally Posted by sfuller
    Dude THREE tacos at Griffs??? Did someone have to tow you and your bike back to where you were staying? Sorry I wasn't able to meet you on the taco ride, I had forgotten you were in town that night and went out for an easy spin on the road bike instead.
    well this is what tacos look like in CA

so i just assumed they were the same in iowa haha

Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    ...you're not working Manitowish are ya?
    no, about 30 miles south.

mtbr member
    I didn't read the posts in detail, but if you all are going through WY on I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne be sure to stop at Happy Jack, Vedawoo, and Curt Gowdy.

Happy Jack network (north), and Vedauwoo network (south).

Photobucket

and Curt Gowdy.

Photobucket

Vedauwoo and Curt Gowdy have a lot of camping. Happy Jack has some, but you have to know where to look. However, there is plenty of camping of the any of the National Forest roads away from the high use/fee areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice write up. I'm sure you'll enjoy northern WI this summer. It's a great place to be. Minoqua/Woodruff is a bustling place in the summer. All of the flatlanders (IL) like to come up there and enjoy the waters and woods. Once you get a few miles outside of town, you'd never know thousands of people are vacationing in the area. I think I've seen your posts in the midwest/WI forum regarding ride locations, but I'd highly recommend 9 Mile in Wausau, Standing Rocks in Stevens Point, and a solid weekend on the CAMBA network around Hayward. There a few good trails right around Minoqua as well. I'm sure you've heard about Razorback Ridges along with the Raven trails. Check them out and have fun riding in WI.

ive ridden razorback and raven already .... will definitley go check out wausau and standing rocks though, cause those are a lot closer than MI

Members who have read this thread: 0