2000 Calories A Day = What To Eat?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2000 Calories A Day = What To Eat?

Due to my current work schedule and the fact that my wife and I just had our first child, I won't be out on the bike nearly as often as before. At least for a while anyways. Up until now I've largely been able to get away with eating what I wanted because my riding managed to balance out my diet and I largely maintained a steady body weight. However, during the last 30 days I have ridden my bike a total of 2 times and I have gained approximately 7-8lbs!!! I'm horrible at trying to put together a structured diet and would greatly appreciate it if some of you could give me a good example of a daily diet that totaled about 2000 calories. I love lean meats and fruits but unfortunately the taste of "most" vegetables turn my stomach unless they are cooked in a stew/soup. Just FYI. Thx!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Buy the book from mens health called the abs diet. It has grocery lists and menus in addition to recipes and workout suggestions! Good luck!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    Buy the book from mens health called the abs diet. It has grocery lists and menus in addition to recipes and workout suggestions! Good luck!
    This. Aim for 4 meals of 500 calories each, and youll do fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Another good place to start is to list the foods you think are pretty healthy that you enjoy, llok up thier Caloric content and do some math. You're more likely to eat foods that you already enjoy than totally revamp your diet. Also, watch out for the sauces. You can blow a perfectly healthy meal with a couple table spoons of the wrong sauce. My big trouble here is my love of ceaser salads, which have been cut back to about 1 a month!

Congrats on the family addition! I know a big challenge for me with our first was finding ample sleep time and avoiding late night snacks, good luck!
    "You know you're stupid when your own brain doesn't even try to protect the head that it's in." -P nut

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I love lean meats and fruits but unfortunately the taste of "most" vegetables turn my stomach unless they are cooked in a stew/soup. Just FYI. Thx!
    I'm a Filipino American, raised on fried Spam and Eggs, Lechon (roasted pig) and an array of other things that are high in fat and calories - that being said, I had to throw all that type of eating out the door when I became a vegetarian.

Soup/stews are great - especially when you're trying to feel full and add a pile of veggies, brown rice or potatoes, etc. and you can have yourself a killer hearty meal, keep the calories down, and feel full. And me, coming from a meat-centric diet, it was hard to give up meat - so savory things like stews really help in a big way.

Do you have a space you can at least try to burn some calories? One of the things I really enjoy is skipping rope. Ropes are $5 and skipping rope can be done anywhere.

I have a gym membership, but my normal routine can be done in a garage. Check out this site: www.rossboxing.com. Here's a good video of rope skipping from Ross Boxing. What I like about it is as my riding improves, my rope skipping improves.

I learned a lot from this website and helped me during a time I couldn't ride much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just eat one triplle bacon wendys burger over the day and you will have met your goal !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I like to divide the total daily uptake into 4 then split on of the in half again that will give you three 500 cal meals and two 250 cal snacks. do you have a driod or I phone you can cet a calorie counter app. I use "fat secret.com. it syncs to pc and phone you track calories and excercise. A very cool app.

mtbr member
    Due to my current work schedule and the fact that my wife and I just had our first child, I won't be out on the bike nearly as often as before. At least for a while anyways. Up until now I've largely been able to get away with eating what I wanted because my riding managed to balance out my diet and I largely maintained a steady body weight. However, during the last 30 days I have ridden my bike a total of 2 times and I have gained approximately 7-8lbs!!! I'm horrible at trying to put together a structured diet and would greatly appreciate it if some of you could give me a good example of a daily diet that totaled about 2000 calories. I love lean meats and fruits but unfortunately the taste of "most" vegetables turn my stomach unless they are cooked in a stew/soup. Just FYI. Thx!
    I am in a similar situation. We have a 20 month old girl and I work between 50-60 hours a week. I decided to make some changes in my life. Stop watching TV and get a trainer for example. Appropriate clothing to ride in the cold/rain helps as well. On the weekend my wife gets to ride/workout Saturday mornings for several hours and take care of our daughter. Sunday mornings is my time.

During the week I try to be in bed by 9:00 PM and get up between 4:30 and 5:00 AM. This way I may even get two workouts per day in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    How Big OF A Boy Are YA ?

mtbr member
    Try making a list of everything you eat during the day , this helped me to lose over 65 lbs.

I like mtn biking, too
    Wow, I wish I could eat 2000 cal's a day and lose weight, heh heh. I have to aim for about 1400 when not exercising (and that is very hard to do!). Soups and stews are great. Fruits are great. Obviously, (or maybe not?) be careful with bread, pasta and rice. They are not very dense in nutrients and don't make you feel full fast enough, yet are very dense in calories. Whole grains add a tiny bit more fiber for fullness, but still the same applies. Adding lots of veggies to a meal adds bulk but not excessive calories. Adding a sparing amount of unsaturated fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts) aids in helping you feel full as well.

With veggies - maybe try stuff that's in season and local. Tomatoes (technically a fruit) taste horrible this time of year, as do zucchini's and peppers and asparagus. Squashes, potatoes, leeks, greens - lots of greens!!! are really nice in the winter. Throw a sweet potato in the oven for about 45 min's (jewel variety with bright orange flesh) - tons of fiber, vitamin a, great tasting with a tiny pat of butter. You can eat a whole one for roughly 100 calories, and it's pretty satisfying. Pair it with some kale or collard greens sauteed with garlic and olive oil. Some sprouted grain bread toasted with some avocado slices on it is pretty yummy with this as well. Make a salad with baby spinach, walnuts, a few dried cranberries and some balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Chop up some raw leeks into it as well, if you're feeling adventurous - kind of like onion although not as spicy. This time of year, my husband and I mainly steam or bake root veggies, like potatoes, parsnips, squashes, carrots in a shallow pan with a little olive oil and herbs. They are pretty hearty and filling. Just go to the produce section, look around and see what looks appealing! For snacks, oranges are great this time of year, and so are kiwi fruits and pears. It might be a little late for apples, but there are still some around that are ok. For a savory snack, I love NutThins - they are little rice crackers with a bit of ground nut meal in them. You can eat about 16 of them for 140 calories. I use them to scoop up hummus or salsa. Another great meal is sprouted grain or whole wheat tortilla filled with beans, avocado, salsa, lettuce, etc. rolled up like a burrito, but with calorie controlled portions of fillings. I'm vegetarian, but for any of these suggestions, you can add a small portion of lean meat.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Snowjnky McDreamy

Tip of the day

P90x
    Do your best and forget the rest.

It comes with 3 diet plans. One, I believe, is a 2000 Kcal plan.
    2000 Calories A Day = What To Eat?-p90xtonyhorton-motivator.jpg
    Parks Make Life Better
    Play HARD
    QUADZILLA!
    Satisfactory
    “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less.”

Village Dirtbag
    2000 is a cinch. The hardest part is reducing beer intake Start by counting the calories of what you're already eating. Get a scale and measure EVERYTHING you consume (except water of course). That'll probably reveal a few surprisingly high and surprisingly low calorie things you're already eating. Just eat the stuff that fills you up but is still low-cal.

Breakfast is easiest. 1/2 cup of oatmeal with some mixed berries can be very filling for under 250 cal. I also like to make eggs with one real egg, and an equal amount of egg-white (buy in a carton). Very filling and low cal.

Lunch....well, two slices of low-cal bread for 80 cal, a can of tuna for 100, and maybe 75 cals of cheese if you want to splurge. Add a piece of fruit, and you'll be very full for under 350 cal. Mix is up though- don't do the same thing every day, especially with tuna. Too much mercury.

Dinner...quinoa is good...chicken with some stir-fry or steamed veggies...things like that. My wife got the "hungry girl" cookbook. There's tons of good stuff in there. For example, there's this hummus that tastes 95% like regular hummus with 1/2 the calories. She kept it at 1500 cal/day for quite a few months until she hit her goal, and it was easy after the first week. I probably did more like 1800 (didn't count- just did what she did plus a little extra).

Oh yeah- have a big glass of water 10 minutes before every meal. You'll fill full faster.
    Last edited by @dam; 01-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE157
    Try making a list of everything you eat during the day , this helped me to lose over 65 lbs.

This is key. Get an app for your smartphone to track (for iphone I recommend Loseit), it certainly makes it easier. I lost 30 lbs about two years ago and have kept it off, simply by tracking and maintaining net 1700 calories per day when I was losing weight (now maintaining at 2000 calories per day). Or you can do the same thing on website calorie trackers (www.loseit.com).

The reason this is so important is that everyone underestimates the amount of calories they ingest and overestimate the amount of calories they burn. Think of it like money. You only have so much to spend on a weekly basis (track by the week, not by the day). You can run deficits some days, excess on other days, as long as on a weekly basis you net out to your weekly allowance.

Remember that calorie reduction is the key to weight loss, not "magic" foods nor exercise. You won't be able to exercise enough to offset excess calories - you can't outtrain a bad diet. Well, most normal people with jobs, families, etc. can't.

You'll have a hard time losing weight unless your net calorie intake is BELOW your BMR for your desired height and weight.

mtbr member
    Raw carrots!

No, really they are not very calorie dense and if you stay away from the 'baby carrots' can be really sweet and tasty. They are my go to stress snack.

Yes, tracking is crucial.

I'm on a 1800 net cal a day plan and am losing about 10lbs a month. Can you commute to work by bike. My bike commute is only slightly longer than my car commute.

I don't like trainers but when your newborn sleeps jump on the trainer for a quick 20-30 min. workout. It will help keep your metabolism up.

Good luck!
    '08 Jamis Dakota 29er
    '92 Hardrock Commuter

Off the back...
    Potatoes. I love potatoes. Makes you feel full for like, ever. Skip the cheese, sour cream and other crap, and throw a can of tuna on top. Mmmmmm. I hear my dinner calling me...

mtbr member

I live to bike
    one of these ought to get you to 2000 calories. Posted by forum member mikesee: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=bacon

One of these days I'm gonna cook me one up!

Seriously, though...I have nothing. I've never really tried to count calories, as I've never needed to lose weight. When I exercise less, I tend to naturally eat less as I'm less hungry.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    If you count everything up, 2000 calories is a lot of food. You can easily do at or under 1000 a day(and not be hungry), not healthy for you though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There is a My Fitness app on Android that has a bar scanner that you can scan the food you ate and enter it easy.

I just started using it today just to see what my calorie count actually is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H
    If you count everything up, 2000 calories is a lot of food. You can easily do at or under 1000 a day(and not be hungry), not healthy for you though.

Depends entirely on the "food":

Fully loaded Chipotle burrito + chips + coke could put you pretty close.

Or In-N-Out double double + Fries + Shake.

Or fully loaded Chevy's nachos by itself will put you over.

On the other hand, if you choose less calorie dense foods as suggested by others here (leafy greens, lean meats, minimal "white" stuff)

That being said, because I DO track and count my calories, I pretty much eat anything (ice cream, pizza+beer, burgers, etc.) ...the key is not to eat anything/everything all the time so that you maintain an appropriate calorie count.

I know its a bit obsessive and not for everyone, but its worked incredible well for me over the past years, and gives me the freedom to enjoy social gatherings, etc., especially over the holidays.

Rolling
    The kid keeping you up should keep you burning calories.

Congrats on the kid.

I found success with lots of greens like spinach salads with just a spoon of dressing and that carrot thing that Mike said. The keeping track of calories keeps you honest and like Paladin says, MyFitness is a good android app. Loseit Is a great iphone/ipod app. When you keep track, it makes you rethink things you eat which might delay you eating them plus it makes it into a game. When people keep score, they find more interest in things.

Don't sit around either. Stand when you can. At work, stand when you work if you can.

Forget the empty calories; No drinks with calories. Only tea and water.

Walk all your errands. No elevators.

mtbr member
    Also, you'll find the compulsion to overeat (emotional and circumstantial drivers/cues) will turn out to be even more important to pay attention to -

- note specific times or circumstances that may trigger overeating and avoid (ie: sitting in front of the boob tube with a bag of chips (my personal weakness)) and avoid or mitigate (such as riding your trainer while watching TV). Or major socializing at happy hour - that will kill off 2000 calories without even trying - unless you've planned for that.

- note if you feel the need to eat to deal with anxiety, stress, and upcoming sleepless nights, then go with the really low-cal stuff Mike mentioned, carrots, and I'll also suggest pre-cut celery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Diet Power is pretty cool: http://www.dietpower.com/

The guy who invented it is a former Reader's Digest editor who basically was in your situation - limited on hours to exercise, and faced withe too many high calorie sinful opportunities. www.terrydunkle.com

I used it a couple of years ago and it gives you a daily grade in the format of your preparatory school" ABCDF, with + and - sections.

I was most impressed with some high level beer drinking weeks and the guidance to still get an 'A' rating. It was very educational. Living like a monk only makes you binge later.... you can manage it if you know what the hell it is that you take in.

But the best way to combat lack of exercise time is high intensity. When you do find the time, go high heart rate. Dr. Michael Ross (http://www.velopress.com/cycling.php?id=49) has plenty of literature on this.... Burn lots of calories in a shorter time period and then you don't have to be a bulimic nazi.
    Last edited by Timo; 01-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    15 beers and a multi-vitamin. Diet of champions.

mtbr member
    ok not really. Eat all the fruits and vegetables you can if you feel hungry. No fruit juice though. Don't feel bad and don't worry about the calories.

mtbr member
    Is buying a bike trainer an option? I recently picked up a CycleOps Fluid 2 for $90 at an REI Garage Sale, I get on that while watching TV on the days that I'm busy so I can at least burn a few hundred extra calories. I gained 5 lbs in the past couple months, I've been super busy between getting married, the holidays, plus a knee injury kept me from getting nearly as much exercise as I usually do.

As far as diets go, look into "clean eating", that combined with counting calories is healthy and will keep your weight down. If i was trying to lose weight, I'd use the iPhone app "Lose It". You basically input everything you eat plus any exercise you get, with that info plus your sex, height, weight and activity level it will keep track of how many calories you can eat. At the end of every day you will know if you were in caloric deficit or surplus and you will know how many more calories you can eat in a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    Depends entirely on the "food":

Fully loaded Chipotle burrito + chips + coke could put you pretty close.

Or In-N-Out double double + Fries + Shake.

Or fully loaded Chevy's nachos by itself will put you over.

On the other hand, if you choose less calorie dense foods as suggested by others here (leafy greens, lean meats, minimal "white" stuff)

That being said, because I DO track and count my calories, I pretty much eat anything (ice cream, pizza+beer, burgers, etc.) ...the key is not to eat anything/everything all the time so that you maintain an appropriate calorie count.

I know its a bit obsessive and not for everyone, but its worked incredible well for me over the past years, and gives me the freedom to enjoy social gatherings, etc., especially over the holidays.
    This guy has the right idea.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainChain
    ok not really. Eat all the fruits and vegetables you can if you feel hungry. No fruit juice though. Don't feel bad and don't worry about the calories.
    Yep. Don't diet, just eat right. Eat raw foods. Raw nuts, vegetables, fruits. Have a glass of wine.
    Turn your stomach? What are you...3?

Short-Change-Hero
    Lots of good advice in here.. Something that the wife and I did was to start doing "Dream Dinners" basically a portioned out meal that you construct at their facility. You make a months worth of dinners, most are 3 small servings (so enough for you, the wife and lunch for one the next day). The portion control thing is huge, did you know that the average sized dinner plate today is almost 12", back in the 50's and 60's it was 6"! We he an ass load of food in one sitting which is completely bad for you metabolism. If you can keep you metabolism going that will help you burn the calories. This can be done a variety of ways (many stated above) but mostly it comes down to eating small meals throughout the day so that you do not gorge yourself later. Men have the innate ability to lose weight very quickly so do not be discouraged if you put on a few #s because you can pretty easily take it off (also remember you will fluctuate in weight throughout the day anywhere from 3-5#s). If you are weighing yourself make it at a consistent point in the day, the wife and I always way when we finish out workout in the mornings (5am to 6am bootcamp).

mtbr member
    Easier said than done, but you can always find 15 min to get in some exercise with little or no equipment, and doing it with intensity will get your metabolism up.

Flatlands suck
    fitday.com <---free, can track food, nutrients, and excersize...gives some good charts too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This list below works for me. I also target 2000 calories a day, at least for days I don't get to ride or otherwise exercise much.

First, as others have recommended, get a small digital scale to weigh your food. This may seem extreme, but it's really helpful. I was amazed how easy it is to underestimate the size of various portions I was taking. After a while you learn how much things are and hardly have to use the scale.

Second, don't just count calories or what you eat, but plan what you eat ahead of eating it. For me this is really the key. I used to just count calories in my head. This kind of works, at least up until dinner, by which time I was a) really hungry, and b) liable to lose track at some point and then just give up counting, and then I would end up eating more than I really wanted to, or snacking constantly in the evening, or whatever. It is amazing how easy it is to consume calories 100-200 at a time just by walking through the kitchen and grabbing a snack. The real key is to plan out everything you are going to eat in advance. That way, even if you sneak in an unplanned snack/dessert/drink/whatever, at least you won't be way over your plan.

Anyway, here are some choices. As I said, this works for me. YMMV.
    Each of breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner is about 500 calories. (snack is actually a bit more, lunch a bit less, so it balances out)

breakfast:
    3 ounces of cheerios, or 2 servings of oatmeal (as defined on box label, 150 cal ea)
    16 (liquid) ounces of soy milk or 12 (liquid) ounces of 2% cow milk

snacks:
    50 grams of almonds, maybe with some walnuts thrown in (but 50gm total)
    1 medium apple
    1 medium banana
    couple carrots

lunch:
    2 slices of bread with peanut or almond butter
    (note: if you aren't sure about serving sizes here, count the number of uses you get out of a jar; but this was one area where my typical serving size was a bit less than the usual jar 1 ounce per 2 slices serving size)

dinner varies a lot more:
    salad w/ spinach or kale, or steamed broccoli or brussel sprouts
    (lots of green vegetable being the key idea)
    stir fry or chili or various other dish w/ low fat meat or tofu or fish
    possibly 1-2 glasses of wine (about 100 cal ea) or 1 12-oz high-alcohol beer (about 180 cal)

For things like chili where you might make a whole bunch at one time, I think it's easiest to add up all the calories of all the ingredients when you make it, and then divide that into however many portions you get so that each portion has 500 or whatever calories.

So, the above gets you 2000 calories. One thing about this menu is that (depending on dinner) it adds up to about 80-100+ grams of protein, with 10 grams from 5+ sources (oats, soy/cow milk, almonds, wheat, and whatever's for dinner). Some people will say you need more, but I find this is adequate. Before I ended up with the above diet/menu, I ate more fruits/cheese/cracker type snacks throughout the day. Before dinner I might end up having eaten 1200-1500 calories (same as current) but I'd be a lot hungrier, and a lot more likely to eat a whole lot for dinner and to snack after dinner.

All this being said, it is surely a lot more fun to burn 4000 calories/day and eat 3000-3500 than it is to burn 2500 and eat 2000. But, of course, sometimes work/injury/family responsibility/etc come in the way.

mtbr member
    Haven't counted calories for a while but I just did a breakdown of what I've had today.

Breakfast: Apple ~100 calories
    Lunch: PB&J Sandwhich + large asian pear ~560
    Afternoon: Red Anjou Pear ~180
    Dinner: Fried Rice ~400

Total: ~1240

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Eat a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight
    Lift at the gym 3 times a week
    count your calories so you lose 1-2 pounds per week. Eat more if you lose more than that a week.

Here's what I eat every dang day....I've lost 40 pounds following this....I'm cut up from the weights, and i'm a lot faster on the bike due to the strength gain and fat loss

breakfast- Kashi go lean protein cereal. I add some blueberries.
    10am:30 gram protein shake
    12: Subway 6 inch chicken breast on wheat with all the veggies, pepper jack cheese and toasted. Add oil (your body actually needs some fat)
    2pm: 30gram protein shake
    5pm 30gram protein shake
    dinnertime a lean meat(chicken breast, turkey fish) cup of brown rice and or fresh cut veggies with extra vergin olive oil.

9 30 gram protein shake.

This is what I consume to lose a pound a week. If i'm maintaining my weight then i'll increase the subway to a 12inch but eat half at 11 and half at 1. If I'm putting on muscle then i'll trade two of my protein shakes for weight gain which is simply a protein shake with lots of carbs added for energy at the gym.

Don't forget your multivitamin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

dime a dozen ways to loose weight

anyway, it is all about intake.
    Very simple..
    1- Weight yourself at same time always, like first thing in morning before you eat or bathroom.
    2- you must know how much your consuming to start. Write it down for a week. Pay alot of attention to the condiments and sides you add. Then find out how much cal intake you had by going to websites of the restaraunts and such for exactly what you habitually eat. This will show you what and where the bombs of lard packing really come from. Like the chicken pot pie, or 5 guys fries that alone will cost your gut and extra bump.
    3- weight in. Based on that weight difference.... you adjust your calorie intake to achieve your desired amount of loss. If you gained a pound, you need to take 6000 cals out of your diet. stayed even, then 3000.
    4- plan your meals and most importantly, regulate your snack material. Buy the 100 calorie portions of the crap so you know how much your taking in. If it is not good don't have it in house. If you buy a box of cookies, you will eat the box of cookies and bingo 3000 calories extra vs say maybe some 100 cal bags of popcorn to fill you up.
    5- understand it is not the meat, you can eat all kinds of package meat that comes in those little plastic containers. Best thing you can do is have an entire roast beef portion that is about 240 cal for entire pack with a salad, with a small amount of lite dressing. Couple cans of tuna would do just as well mixed in salad. Get on diet drinks or water. If you drink just 2regular sodas daily , cutting that out alone would save you almost a pound week of empty cals.
    The guidline for loss is 1 pound week if you really want to keep it off. This takes a real change in eating habits and in a year you lost 52lbs without starving.
    I'll shut up now....

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Don't let my misleading name fool u. Stop counting calories, weight management is more than 1 calorie in 1 calorie out, and if your approaching 40, forget about exercising it off. Exercise will def complement a weight man program, but a proper diet will be the best bang for your buck.... Overall weight is one way to mashes fitness, but body fat% is the 1 measurement that Should be relied on.... So in a nut shell:
    1. Read 4 hour body... Fat will go by by , Basic principles

A.Eat nothing white ( ez boys on the Jr hi humor)
    B. Pick a protein
    C. Here's the hidden trick..pick a legume aka bean ( they keep hunger away)
    D. Pick a veggy
    E. Eat as much as your heart desires 6 days aweek
    F. Eat the same stuff each day
    G. Pick a day and eat like your Plane is crashing .... I mean party like your moms not home ( the reason u will continue on this and stay faithful)

Testimony: I wasn't overweight b4 but I wanted to rid my self of a little fat cuz I wanted to show my 6 PAC, well in 2 weeks.... Ask my wife,

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "Best Diet" theories are all over the map. But, there does seem to be some successful long term trends.

Most progressive experts now recommend trying to keep blood sugar relatively stable in addition to watching overall calories. (Higher average blood sugar has been shown to be a key contributor to creating fat.) This is accomplished by eating several small meals throughout the day and making sure those meals aren't loaded with too many carbs. 4 - 5meals or as someone suggested above: 3 meals and two snacks.

Calories are relatively easy to count today with tools available. If you really get into the blood sugar side, you can use a finger prick monitor and take readings 1 and two hours after meals for a while. Try to keep blood sugar below 120. Suggest doing this for a month or so until you see what foods do what to your blood sugar.

Also, the most successful people in the early stages track what they eat for a few months. Not as important as it becomes a habit.

Also, many old suggestions still prove to be correct:

Eat mostly vegetables and lean meats - turkey, chicken, fish etc. (find the ones you like)
    Be aware and add things that make them taste better - healthy oils such as Olive, spices, putting them in stews, soups, variety etc.
    Eat red meat sparingly - 0 - 4 times a week. The more lean the better.
    Stay away from cured meats such as bacon and sausage.
    Eat fruits moderately - up to 2 - 3 servings a day.
    Eat some non roasted nuts daily - almonds, pecans, walnuts etc.
    Up to 1-2 oz of real cultured cheese per day
    Sparingly on low fat milk and dairy
    Overall suggest staying as close or under 20 grams of saturated fat per day.
    Eat more healthy fats - olive oil, flaxseed oil etc.
    Cut almost all sweets, bread (yes even wheat bread - most contains a bunch of junk), cornstarch, packaged grain foods such as cereals, chips, crackers etc.
    cut out all soft drinks and most fruit juice, sport drinks etc.
    Go sparingly on rice, pasta and white potatoes.
    OK to splurge or cheat occasionally 1 x a week.
    Moderate Alcohol consumption - up to 1 - 2 drinks a day.
    Drink mostly water.
    Up to 1 - 2 cups of coffee per day, with no sugar added, or brewed teas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If you don't typically like veggies try this:

http://www.gloryfoods.com/

The greens and beans in their lineup are all prepared southern style so they are not as bland as most. Kroger stocks them here in Texas, you may have to shop around to find them where ever you are. If you are not going to make fruits and vegetables part of your diet then 2000 calories a day is going to be very little food. I'm at 1800 a day right now and am eating well but my protein portions are 4-6 oz per meal and the carbs like brown rice are at 1/2 cup per meal. The bulk of the meals are veggies like green beans a turnip greens. These things are on the order of 20-40 calories per cup so if you like to eat you will need to find stuff like this that suits your pallet.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbarsix
    fitday.com <---free, can track food, nutrients, and excersize...gives some good charts too.
    +1. I like fitday for keeping track of what I eat and what kind of nutrition I'm getting. It's kind of a pain to put everything in though, and if I forget it throws off the numbers. I usually average about 2500 calories a day.
    Matt

mtbr member
    cant give specific calories, but im pretty sure its low.

My daily diet goes something like ....
    Oatmeal
    toast
    apple
    carrot (maybe 2)
    Standard sandwich (meat/cheese/lettuce)
    Some main course for dinner, usually for me its a casserole
    Another apple

You can trim that down or add more, but thats a standard diet for me during the winter when my body goes dormant. During the summer Im up to about 5000 cals a day. I just eat whatever.

Members who have read this thread: 0