!@#%$# Mt. biking!!!!- Mtbr.com
    Perpetually single track

[email protected]#%$# Mt. biking!!!!

So I'm addicted to a dirty dirty habit. Please help me!!!!

It's mountain biking. When I first started it was just an every once in awhile thing. I got the cheapest mtn. bike I could afford. It was a piece of crap, but what did I care. I only did it every once in while, and ONLY with friends. It was just a social thing for me. I wasn't addicted...no way was I addicted. I'd break something on the bike and replace it with the cheapest thing I could find...you know, just to keep it running. I met a dude named Jason, and I began biking even more. (more biking friends = more biking). One day, I broke a brake lever, and I said fzuck it, I'll get something nicer now. I didn't know it then, but I was addicted...that was the turning moment. The bike industry had me right where the wanted me. Soon I met more biking friends...Chuck, then Shaine, Dave, Julie, Jen, Maggie...the list goes on. It's a domino effect. Dave started talking nonsense about a full suspension (huh what was that?) to me. So I went out a got one. A black beauty she was.

Along with the pleasure from every addiction is frustration. The blackness caused me numerous bouts of frustration. Almost to the point of tears, every time she would break, and it would painfully sink in that I couldn't ride. Hell, I think I may have acutally wept openly for my loss of riding time. It was a sad time for me. Not only could I not ride, but I realized I had a problem. I was addicted to Mtn. Biking. It had taken over my life. I was truley obsessed. I dreamt about it, I thought about at work. When was I going to get my next hit of single track. I was spending every cent of my paycheck on it. It had taken over my life. Almost everyone of friends were "biking" friends. I tired to quit numerour times, to no avail. Broken helments, black and blue, bloodied oozing skin, painful saddle sores, ruptured achilles tendon, 3 knee surgeries. Nothing could keep me from it. I had given in to my addiction. It was no use fighting it. Finally I replaced the blackness with an even more beautiful bike, a trans blue heckler. When I laid eyes on her the first time I was in love. I built her up from just a frame to the greatness she is. She's brought the wetness to my eyes, but only tears of joy. And now I saddly admit it, I'm even a pusher.

Psssst Pssst, hey you!

Yeah you over there with the jergened up mouse. Put it down. I got what you need man. See that sweet Raleigh over there. I'll let you take her for a free spin.

Nah it's cool, don't worry about it. Just when you go into the bike shop mention that the Dude sent you. They'll take care of you.

And you know what it all boils down to? That f'ing pusher who got me hooked to start off with: Eric. I really hate that dude.

Ride on brother and sisters, ride on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ibmkidIII; 05-27-2004 at 09:20 PM.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

MTBR.com Addict

Smile

very cool post, I can relate

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Wait , there's something WRONG with all that?

addict
    Apr 2004
    Hi, I'm Jason, and I'm an addict.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    So MTBR is the mutual support group right?
    Count me in for needing more therapy.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    So I'm addicted to a dirty dirty habit. Please help me!!!!

It's mountain biking. When I first started it was just an every once in awhile thing. I got the cheapest mtn. bike I could afford. It was a piece of crap, but what did I care. I only did it every once in while, and ONLY with friends. It was just a social thing for me. I wasn't addicted...no way was I addicted. I'd break something on the bike and replace it with the cheapest thing I could find...you know, just to keep it running. I met a dude named Jason, and I began biking even more. (more biking friends = more biking). One day, I broke a brake lever, and I said fzuck it, I'll get something nicer now. I didn't know it then, but I was addicted...that was the turning moment. The bike industry had me right where the wanted me. Soon I met more biking friends...Chuck, then Shaine, Dave, Julie, Jen, Maggie...the list goes on. It's a domino effect. Dave started talking nonsense about a full suspension (huh what was that?) to me. So I went out a got one. A black beauty she was.

Along with the pleasure from every addiction is frustration. The blackness caused me numerous bouts of frustration. Almost to the point of tears, every time she would break, and it would painfully sink in that I couldn't ride. Hell, I think I may have acutally wept openly for my loss of riding time. It was a sad time for me. Not only could I not ride, but I realized I had a problem. I was addicted to Mtn. Biking. It had taken over my life. I was truley obsessed. I dreamt about it, I thought about at work. When was I going to get my next hit of single track. I was spending every cent of my paycheck on it. It had taken over my life. Almost everyone of friends were "biking" friends. I tired to quit numerour times, to no avail. Broken helments, black and blue, bloodied oozing skin, painful saddle sores, ruptured achilles tendon, 3 knee surgeries. Nothing could keep me from it. I had given in to my addiction. It was no use fighting it. Finally I replaced the blackness with an even more beautiful bike, a trans blue heckler. When I laid eyes on her the first time I was in love. I built her up from just a frame to the greatness she is. She's brought the wetness to my eyes, but only tears of joy. And now I saddly admit it, I'm even a pusher.

Psssst Pssst, hey you!

Yeah you over there with the jergened up mouse. Put it down. I got what you need man. See that sweet Raleigh over there. I'll let you take her for a free spin.

Nah it's cool, don't worry about it. Just when you go into the bike shop mention that the Dude sent you. They'll take care of you.

And you know what it all boils down to? That f'ing pusher who got me hooked to start off with: Eric. I really hate that dude.

Ride on brother and sisters, ride on.
    I know the feeling

Card Carrying Member
    Junkie.

Apr 2004
    I know how you feel. I've never done crack, but this has to be just as bad...

mtbr member

and here from the thread title i though you were trolling

cool we need a support group ... oh wait there is one ...

i am also an addict ...

i learned that durability = expensive but in the long run it ends up saving you on repairs and replacment by breaking numorous parts in quick sucession ...

finally went and got rid of the cheap bike but i did it before i finished paying for the new one so i'm stuck on the roadie for a while ( not too bad but ...)
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"

life is a barrel o'fun

"next hit of singletrack"

Sigh, yeah, I hear ya. It's raining and all I can do is check mtb websites. Luckily I got a nice long ride in yesterday.

Let's take the official definition of drug addiction, and see if biking applies:

DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria: Mountain Biking Dependence

A maladaptive pattern of mountain biking, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
    a. A need for markedly increased amounts of mountain biking to achieve intoxication or desired effect.
    b. Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of mountain biking.

(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:
    a. The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for mountain biking (whining, pouting, twitching, depression, restlesness)
    b. The same (or a closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms (i.e. road biking, spinning classes, Pete's videos, MTBR.)

(3) Mountain biking is often done in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended (loss of control, perhaps entering events like the SC Hell Ride or VT50.)

(4) There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control mountain biking (loss of control).

(5) A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain bike-related items, or recover from its effects (preoccupation; injuries).

(6) Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of mountain biking (continuation despite adverse consequences such as debt, serious injury, or divorce).

(7) Mountain biking is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by mountain biking (adverse consequences such as bruises, cuts, broken collarbones, damaged ego).

.....I do believe we can all relate?!
    Last edited by Christine; 05-31-2004 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member

hahahahahahahah ...LOL

how dare you make me fall out of my chair at work ...

awsome

great comparison ...sounds like the stuff they used to give out in pamplets when i was a kid ...
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"