****** bag has booby traps in Frederick MD watershed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

****** bag has booby traps in Frederick MD watershed

Ok, I've posted this in 3 places in the regional section for MD and now the last time here. I'm sure I've broken a multi-post rule. Please get the word out:
    http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...30307210851934
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    D o u c h e is band? Oh my, the things we used to say on here in the 90's. Just like my local gov'ment...always taking care of me. Uh-oh, life time band for guy that doesn't come here...booohooo.
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebreath View Post
    Ok, I've posted this in 3 places in the regional section for MD and now the last time here. I'm sure I've broken a multi-post rule. Please get the word out:
    http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...30307210851934
    Just scary. So dangerous for cyclists, hikers, kids and dogs.

turtles make me hot
    If my son or my dog got hurt on something like that...
    I like turtles

Got A Lust for Life...

Re: ****** bag has booby traps in Frederick MD watershed

That is awful.

Samsung Galaxy S3
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I hope that whoever is behind this is caught soon. I also hope its not some idiot trying to make some sort of statement, as this behavior makes the area unsafe for anyone's use.

Though I'm not anywhere near the area, thanks for giving everyone a heads-up.

gobsmacked Moderator

Wow. That is disgusting.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Couple years back a friend of mine came around the corner on one of the best flowy sections of a local ride and found a guy setting up sharpened sticks in the landing area. Had he been 30 minutes later it would have seriously injured, if not out right killed him.

His response? He beat the living crap out of the man, at one point ripping the very stick the guy was trying to set in the ground out of his hand and using it to wail on the bastard.

When he was done, he got out his cell phone and called the police. Explained what happened with the man bleeding at his feet. He told the dispatcher he was perfectly willing to accept assault charges as long as the booby trapper was also charged with attempted murder considering how dangerous the trap he was setting would have been.

Result months later was a lesser charge (misdemeanor)for the booby trapper (cant remember what the original charges were, not attempted murder but there were multiple felonies) in exchange for dropping the assault charges. My friend tried to get the felony to stick by accepting the assault charges, but the DA had already accepted the deal and closed the case.

Moral of the story? If you catch him, beat his freaking arse!!!!!! The police will most likely high five you as they haul him off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Two words. Game Camera.
    Once identified follow BR Grinder's advice
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    Two words. Game Camera.
    Once identified follow BR Grinder's advice
    Yes, if you live in the area and care about this at all, this has has to be done. The cameras are not all that expensive these days and would be well worth it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Do they know why the booby traps were placed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Couple years back a friend of mine came around the corner on one of the best flowy sections of a local ride and found a guy setting up sharpened sticks in the landing area. Had he been 30 minutes later it would have seriously injured, if not out right killed him.

His response? He beat the living crap out of the man, at one point ripping the very stick the guy was trying to set in the ground out of his hand and using it to wail on the bastard.

When he was done, he got out his cell phone and called the police. Explained what happened with the man bleeding at his feet. He told the dispatcher he was perfectly willing to accept assault charges as long as the booby trapper was also charged with attempted murder considering how dangerous the trap he was setting would have been.

Result months later was a lesser charge (misdemeanor)for the booby trapper (cant remember what the original charges were, not attempted murder but there were multiple felonies) in exchange for dropping the assault charges. My friend tried to get the felony to stick by accepting the assault charges, but the DA had already accepted the deal and closed the case.

Moral of the story? If you catch him, beat his freaking arse!!!!!! The police will most likely high five you as they haul him off.
    Why allow him to continue to live? What if he does it again and doesn't get caught? What if he has moved and is now the guy doing this in Maryland? FRONTIER JUSTICE ALL THE WAY FOR BUTTWIPES LIKE HIM!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    No, the moral of the story is keep it a 3-sided story .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I lived in Frederick, MD and I am not surprised by this behavior. I have lived in many large cities and Frederick has exhibited some of the worst humanity I have ever seen.

Hopefully this person is prosecuted to the fullest extent.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebreath View Post
    D o u c h e is band? Oh my, the things we used to say on here in the 90's. Just like my local gov'ment...always taking care of me. Uh-oh, life time band for guy that doesn't come here...booohooo.
    Not, not a band, rather, banned. However, it would be cool if a band were named that.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What a scumbag, cowardly thing to do.

Hills Have Eyes mofos doing this need to die.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I would expect this kind of behavior in Marin County, CA... not so familiar with MD. Bad juju for the perp, that is certainly a new tire in the making, perp should be buying new tires for every one that hit one of those traps.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by psunuc View Post
    I lived in Frederick, MD and I am not surprised by this behavior. I have lived in many large cities and Frederick has exhibited some of the worst humanity I have ever seen.

Hopefully this person is prosecuted to the fullest extent.
    Unfortunately, idiots abound everywhere. I haven't come across any hazards but have heard others speak of them for quite some time. Definitely a different vibe up in the hills around Gambrill and the Shed.

I live closer to DC and must say that downtown Frederick is turning into one of the most culturally active and progressive areas around- go figure.

thecentralscrutinizer
    WTF is wrong with people anymore? Hope you folks find the idiot and settle-up....
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

turtles make me hot
    I think that guy needs to fall on those things.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I ran into a trap once rounding a corner, a pair of drinking cups with nails spiking out like a little blowfish, I double flatted before I knew what I hit. Not as severe as razor blades, but could be dangerous if someone crashed and landed on one. I've seen landowners, probably fed up with atv's in the woods around their property string up chains between trees, without some kind of a flag it could be fatal for sure. As far as the guy with the bungee sticks, I most likely would have called the cops and took pics of him and what he was up to. Restraint would definitely be involved, possibly tying him up, but I would do my best to resist beating the f*** out of him. I wouldn't give the a-hole the satisfaction of getting any charges reduced or dropped. I wanna see the ****sucker hang but I'm not going to jail a single day for his worthless ass.

mtbr member
    Somehow I am not surprised for it being in western Maryland. The people from that area (a lot come up to my area) are very biased either for riding/outdoors or against. Even some athletes/triathletes from that area have told me flat out that bikes are for sidewalks only and that road riders should be shoved off. Only a minor step to take that mindset to the extent of "no bikers on my hunting grounds"...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

two wheel whore
    I hope whoever the person is gets some jail time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I ran into a trap once rounding a corner, a pair of drinking cups with nails spiking out like a little blowfish, I double flatted before I knew what I hit. Not as severe as razor blades, but could be dangerous if someone crashed and landed on one. I've seen landowners, probably fed up with atv's in the woods around their property string up chains between trees, without some kind of a flag it could be fatal for sure. As far as the guy with the bungee sticks, I most likely would have called the cops and took pics of him and what he was up to. Restraint would definitely be involved, possibly tying him up, but I would do my best to resist beating the f*** out of him. I wouldn't give the a-hole the satisfaction of getting any charges reduced or dropped. I wanna see the ****sucker hang but I'm not going to jail a single day for his worthless ass.
    Just read in the Atlanta news where a 15 year-old kid was killed when he hit a cable (riding his dirt bike) that was suspended neck-high. He was riding on private property and (allegedly) the landowner had put the cable there to deter poachers. Too bad a child had to die for something so trivial. Couldn't the landowner have put the cable lower with some ribbon or signs on it? Just seems senseless.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    So bummed to find this out...was supposed to head up there to ride this week too. Guess I'll just stick to Schaeffer and hope for the best?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    So bummed to find this out...was supposed to head up there to ride this week too. Guess I'll just stick to Schaeffer and hope for the best?
    Just ride the yellow loop in Gambrill State Park right next door.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think there was an incident in Colorado last summer of someone stringing barbed wire across paved multi-user paths and people had gotten injured.

There's a lot of sickos in this world...

mtbr member
    It is pretty sick that people sit there and think up ways to injure people like this.
    How to fight Motorcycles -- By An Anonymous Coward

mtbr member
    We had some nut job string a cable across the dirt road when we lived out in Smartsville ( early 80s)

Got is own son on his Yamaha 125... ended up with a metal plate, and a ding-a-ling the rest of his life.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

I'm just messing with you
    I knew a guy that lost an ear (!) from hitting a thin wire on his dirt bike, and my bro-in-law loves to freak people out with a story of how if he'd had a faster quad, he would've been decapitated by a cable instead of his friend.

I catch someone setting traps like that and they'd better be a big mean SOB or have a weapon.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    We had some nut job string a cable across the dirt road when we lived out in Smartsville ( early 80s)

Got is own son on his Yamaha 125... ended up with a metal plate, and a ding-a-ling the rest of his life.
    ... and the old man ended up with proof that Karma is real.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Delirious Tuck
    We had a kid hit a wire riding an ATV around a reservoir on public (non-motor/restricted access land). Happened in 2011, ruled a homicide, but its a tragedy.

Our rule on MTB lines for years, approved by Land Managers, is to check the transitions or outs before attempting first as we've seen dead fall and rocks littered into bottom of steep rock rollers and drops.

Candlestick Maker
    Many years ago, I was ripping through some local singletrack and found it littered with timber full of 8-10" spikes (intentionally turned upwards to hurt whoever might come by). So messed up...there are arseholes (and many more good people) everywhere. Our solution was to get involved in the local trail organization and make sure that bikers (and non-psychos) were well represented.
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi folks! I'm brand new to mtbr.com and joined because I just bought a place on Hamburg Rd, mainly cuz I like to hike but I plan to take up mountain biking (and maybe be good enough to ride the shed at some point. LOL). I do mostly touring and road biking and this kind of awful behavior makes me ill. I'd be happy on occasion to hike back there and keep an eye out. If for any reason you folks need a real close by local just PM me.

Julian

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by sherab View Post
    Hi folks! I'm brand new to mtbr.com and joined because I just bought a place on Hamburg Rd, mainly cuz I like to hike but I plan to take up mountain biking (and maybe be good enough to ride the shed at some point. LOL). I do mostly touring and road biking and this kind of awful behavior makes me ill. I'd be happy on occasion to hike back there and keep an eye out. If for any reason you folks need a real close by local just PM me.

Julian
    Got any game cameras? Set them up and see what you get.

I have an older one but it does not work very well anymore.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    the people who do this are such a$$holes. I live in Potomac and ride many of the trails around here. I'm so disappointed that people will do this because they don't want bikers on the trails. I hope that this doesn't happen at Schaeffer, patapsco, or cabin john. Hope this guy gets put in jail.
    -thanks for the heads up
    my carbon footprint has cleats

mtbr member
    Around my area we might hear of a rare occurance like this, but its definitely not the norm. I hope you guys are documenting all this and reporting to authorities. When the time comes this will come into your favor when land and trail disputes rear their ugly head. Who are the responsible trail users? Mtbers will look golden ;-)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD View Post
    Just read in the Atlanta news where a 15 year-old kid was killed when he hit a cable (riding his dirt bike) that was suspended neck-high. He was riding on private property and (allegedly) the landowner had put the cable there to deter poachers. Too bad a child had to die for something so trivial. Couldn't the landowner have put the cable lower with some ribbon or signs on it? Just seems senseless.
    Lets ban cables and private property... You know, for the children's sake.

check your six
    I can't believe this guy/gal is still up there doing this sh*t. The last few years have been 2X4's with large nail sticking out of them. I stopped going there early last year due to this. Seems he/she is stepping up their game with worse intentions. I hope someone catches them.. without a camera present.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A friend of mine found a wanted sign posted in the area mentioning the razorblades, it caught his eye because it said 'Suspect probably drives XXXX vehicle with XXX tags'. The sign went on, if you see this vehicle in the area don't approach him but call local police immediately and report him'.......The vehicle described is mine. I am in the area all the time- I live nearby and like to hike those woods. I don't bike.

The person that felt compelled to indict me as the suspect/culprit for these henous crimes is evidently an impulsive and presumptuous fool. Frankly if I'd seen him posting that sign up I don't know if I'd react calmly or not; likely not. It goes without saying my tolerance for the biking community has been badly compromised after such an indirect but 'personal attack' . Anyone could do anything to my vehicle when I'm in the woods, thankfully nothing has happened of that sort. I was visited twice at my home already by local authorities as a result of this tool and his sign naming me as the suspect. I volunteered them to search my vehicle, which they did and of course saw nothing suspicious. Unbelievably immature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDane250 View Post
    It is pretty sick that people sit there and think up ways to injure people like this.
    How to fight Motorcycles -- By An Anonymous Coward
    That is some messed up stuff in that link. I hate seeing our local single tracks trashed by quads as much as the next guy, but those are recipes to kill and maim. Some could be used against mtn bikes in a downhill or fast section of trail.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Had a boobytrap hurt someone in one of our local trails a month or so ago, the typical string across the trail at neck level. Not sure if they ever caught the turdsucker that did it but sucks that there are such evil people out there with nothing better to do with their lives than to try to hurt others.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This looks like the same type of stuff that was found at the Watershed a few years ago. Probably the same guy. For those that don't know, riding at the 'Shed is frowned upon. There have been disputes out there over MTB'ers for years.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Riding at the 'Shed isn't frowned upon, the DNR, however, has serious concerns over the preponderance of illegal trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    Riding at the 'Shed isn't frowned upon, the DNR, however, has serious concerns over the preponderance of illegal trails.

It's not illegal; but yes a large faction of the locals DO have serious beef with the bikers....
    For examples-

-Hunters allegedly complain that the bikers inadvertantly spook their deer; also that they don't wear safety orange yet still cruise during hunting season. Just plain dumb-great way to get shot though!

-Hikers/naturalists/etc. have pointed out that bikers often dissasemble/destroy natural structures including permanent rock outcrops, trees,stumps, etc. to make jumps and trails out of. Very ignorant of- and disrespectful to- the native plants and animals that have been living there for several thousand years longer than the bikers themselves have been playing there. Remember, the other resident forms of life have nowhere else to really go unlike human bicyclists. And also unlike us they are not there for recreation but for actual survival. And no they don't have cool forums like this to voice their opinions last time I checked lol.

-Apparently there is also a faction of dogwalkers(?) that have gripes about bikers too, supposedly getting run off the roads by over-zealous cars/trucks/vans full of bikers speeding through the roads to get back for their next ride down.

All that being said, bottom line no one can justify resorting to such violent(and cowardly!) acts as the boobytrapping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sickening crap on here, I thought this crap was only targeted to motorcycles and ATV's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    A friend of mine found a wanted sign posted in the area mentioning the razorblades, it caught his eye because it said 'Suspect probably drives XXXX vehicle with XXX tags'. The sign went on, if you see this vehicle in the area don't approach him but call local police immediately and report him'.......The vehicle described is mine. I am in the area all the time- I live nearby and like to hike those woods. I don't bike.

The person that felt compelled to indict me as the suspect/culprit for these henous crimes is evidently an impulsive and presumptuous fool. Frankly if I'd seen him posting that sign up I don't know if I'd react calmly or not; likely not. It goes without saying my tolerance for the biking community has been badly compromised after such an indirect but 'personal attack' . Anyone could do anything to my vehicle when I'm in the woods, thankfully nothing has happened of that sort. I was visited twice at my home already by local authorities as a result of this tool and his sign naming me as the suspect. I volunteered them to search my vehicle, which they did and of course saw nothing suspicious. Unbelievably immature.
    I'd consider getting an attorney and filing a FOIA request to see who was slandering/defaming me, if I were in your shoes. I'd guess the person might have contacted police if they're sure enough to put up your info. That way, you know who to sue when your car is vandalized or your name shows up on a background check.

Putting up a guess like this is every bit as bad as the booby traps, making the person who put up the poster no better than the idiot putting up the traps.

Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Sickening crap on here, I thought this crap was only targeted to motorcycles and ATV's
    And it's OK to target them???

Rogue Exterminator
    As a motorcyclist, I have seen this in the past. Usually on rural roads with homes that motorcyclists blast up and down on. As mountain bikers, we usually see this on trails where there is more user conflict.

In no way shape or form am I defending the ass hat coward that sets these traps as he deserves to be beaten and fall prey to his own devices.

That being said, something usually drives somebody to this breaking point. Sure, on occasion it is just a sadistic tool that does it because he thinks it is funny but usually it is a guy that is just fed up with a particular group acting like the trails/roads are their own person playground. Unfortunately this is often a very small percentage that makes us all look bad. The problem is though that these traps don't discriminate and can't tell the jerks that ruin the trails from the people who share and respect them.

Yes, in no way shape or form should anyone ever set a booby trap even it did only target the ones it is set for. However, we also need to police our own. Teach proper trail etiquette to new riders, lead by example and when riders act like d0uches call them on it.

Hopefully this guy will be caught, beaten and arrested but what would be even better is that if 100% of our group would be respectful and not drive somebody over the edge so we don't have to worry about psychos like this setting traps.

hiker, sorry to hear that somebody irresponsibly posted your information.
    Hopefully nothing bad comes about it towards you.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post

And it's OK to target them???
    WTF mate, where could you possible get that from what I said.