fan of maple syrup

Yesterday's ride home

On yesterday's ride home, I decided to take iPhone InstaGr.am pics along the way. It requried riding with only one glove, in order to operate the touch screen. My right hand had a definite Oury print in it by the end of the ride. Given I'm riding from near the centre of town, it's impressive how much of my ride home is singletrack - more than 80% I'd say, from about 3km from work to 300m from home, with a few pavement & road stints in the middle, but not much.

Enjoy seeing the river parkland of my hometown through the eyes of a 70's Polaroid (or Fauxlaroid, I like to call it), starting at my desk, ending across the road from my house.

Gear ready, home time

Nomad primed and ready to roll

^ Gear ready, home time

Local town hall, flag indicates a nice southerly breeze

^ Past the local town hall

After  brief stint on road, then over the Yarra River, this marks the beginning of the offroad trail that goes all the way out past Templestowe, with only a few tarmac hits in the middle

^ The beginning of the trail

Looking down on the still fast flowing Yarra

The lower Yarra dropoffs

^ Several years ago, it took some courage to hit these drop-offs. Progression is a wonderful thing.

They seem to be rebuilding Dights Falls after the floods

This was all underwater around Xmas. Super green now.

A steep, rocky technical climb. The Nomad eats it up no probs.

^ When I first built up my Nomad, I wondered whether it's weight & geometry would make steep, techy, rocky climbs harder. Quite the opposite - it eats them up no probs.

Up and up and up

Looking down on Dights Falls and Collingwood/Fitzroy

^ Slowly leaving the inner suburbs

The Charles Grimes cairn on the road crit loop. The road critters hate it when we ride the singletrack through the island of their loop.

Looking upstream towards Studley Park & Kew Cottages

The Studley Park footbridge

^ Studley Park footbridge over the Yarra

Back down to the Yarra after a sojourn through the golf course

The Yarra River bat colony. There are literally hundreds of thousands of bats (flying foxes trechnically)

^ The Yarra river bat/flying fox colony. Smells pretty rank under these guys.

The graffiti under the Eastern Fwy's Yarra crossing

Fairfield Boathouse

Bluestone stair ride at the amphitheatre

Fairfield pipe bridge

^ Under (after crossing over) the Fairfield pipe bridge

The contentious trail between Fairfield boathouse and Chandler Hwy, long time off-limits to MTB

An awesome bit of trail this, key is to not fall 10m down to your left into the murky waters of the Yarra

^ Love this stretch of the trail. Key is to not fall left - it keeps going about 10m down to the murky waters of the Yarra.
    (former tennis champ Jim Courier used to take a dip in the same waters further downstream the 2 times he won the Australian Open. He apparently still feels sick every time he smells it)

Gets really narrow along here, which makes it even more fun going super fast along the edge

The beginning (or end) of the Easter Fwy traverse - that's the freeway up behind that fence

Tough treverse since it's so overgrown now. Darren broke his wrist here hitting a hidden tree root - one of many that jut out into the trail to throw you off your rig into the snake infested bushes...

The (now full again) Kew Billabongs

^ Kew Billabongs are pretty full after all the flooding rains

More Fwy traverse

What a boring way to get home. It's bumper to bumper for these folk in about another 2km. Not for me.

^ The boring way to get home.

Scoot down to the shared trail for a little bit ...

... then back to singletrack

Past the local DJs

Under the power lines (and the weeds that only seem to go above head height under their intense radiation ... hmmmm)

You are only limited by how fast you can ride along here

Sun getting low - climbing up through the Warringal pines

^ Sun getting low. Nearly home as I climb through the Warringal pines.

The pines clear to make way for a brief stretch of urban riding at the end of this track

Past the boys training for their next cricket match. Hopefully faring better than our national team, who suck right now

^ Past the lads cricket training

More singletrack through the Rosanna Parklands, less than 1km from my doorstep.

^ Rosanna Parklands ST - less than half a km (0.311mi) from home

Across the Hurstbridge line

^ Cross the train tracks

And up the final slog of a hill - about 60m V in 150m

^ Up the last slog of a hill

Home at last - the view of the city I left from at the end of my working day. I heart Melbourne.

^ And then home sweet home, looking back towards the city from which I left. Melbourne. Not my birth town, but very much my home town.

Keep the rubberside down
    Dec 2004
    Cool, Thanks for the ride.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Nice post, great pics, awesome commute.

mtbr member
    Nice work N_P, great story. I even recognise some of those trails. I would love to have something like that to thrash out as a commute.

Try doing that in Sydney........ I think not!!

Gravity's Gone
    Very nice. How long does it take?

fan of maple syrup
    Yeah Ben we're pretty lucky us Nor-easters, having trails come so far out from so far in. If I had the time I'd build some trails alongside Darebin Creek and have singletrack commute options at both ends of my street.

Ride takes about 55 - 65min nankerphelge, depending on some 'fork-in-the-road' decisions along the way.

High Desert MTBer
    Great pictures, made me want to go back there. My mum's family are from Melbourne, Toorak House used to be the family home in the distant past, (Swedish Church now I think), and each time I go back there it is strangely like going home, even tho I have never lived there. Thanks, I enjoyed the nostalgia!

mtbr member
    Very nice commute, thanks for sharing it.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Man, you have the best commute EVER! Very nice indeed...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Scott is a tool.
    Very nice my friend. Nostalgic indeed.

mtbr member

Smile

Photos looks quite interesting, nice ones.

I've been rocking a brand new canon 18megapixel dslr, id like to have some with that kind of finish, old, yellowish, like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Very nice. I've always wanted to ride Australia. My mom's from Perth. I love the gum tree forests.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    On yesterday's ride home, I decided to take iPhone InstaGr.am pics along the way. It requried riding with only one glove, in order to operate the touch screen. My right hand had a definite Oury print in it by the end of the ride. Given I'm riding from near the centre of town, it's impressive how much of my ride home is singletrack - more than 80% I'd say, from about 3km from work to 300m from home, with a few pavement & road stints in the middle, but not much.

Enjoy seeing the river parkland of my hometown through the eyes of a 70's Polaroid (or Fauxlaroid, I like to call it), starting at my desk, ending across the road from my house
    very nice, know the ride, i'm usually coming the other way on my loop home, from Banksia St - about 20k of single track/path, beautiful photos, I can smell the Eucalypts now. I'm going to get myself a handle bar iphone4 mount so I can photo essay a ride home as well. Thanks for posting.

Members who have read this thread: 0