T.Dot Represent

xpost about alcoholism on the soico forum

anyone who is a professional who deals with alcoholics plz help!!!

i am supposed to contact an agency and ask these questions but everyone i call says they cant do surveys or are for emergency use etc heres the survey

How often do people contact you to seek help with problems with alcohol?
    Is it usually the alcoholic who contacts you or the family?
    Is alcoholism a growing problem?
    Does the rate of alcoholism increase or decrease with age?
    How can people help others with alcohol problems?
    Do you think that people are educated enough about the dangers of alcohol addictions?
    If you suspected someone of alcoholism what would YOU do?
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Samsonite Tester
    A.A. will assist you . They should be easy to find in your locale.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Don't worry, be happy!
    How can people help others with alcohol problems?
    al-anon is the program sibling to AA, it's for the friends and families, etc, of alcoholics

T.Dot Represent
    i contaced them they didnt seem to be botherd... did want to do the survey they where only interested if it was an emergency
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    i contaced them they didnt seem to be botherd... did want to do the survey they where only interested if it was an emergency
    Is it?
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

mtbr member
    A good book written by an ex-alcoholic about alcoholism:

Dry, by Augusten Burroughs

It's pretty gritty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

School assignment?

Finchy,

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this sure seems like you are trying to get answers to your homework here. I'll offer a suggestion, and that would be that you might well find the answers you are looking for on the 'net, but try websites of the approporiate agencies. Or, hit the library, and look up your topic. You'll find more info than you know what to do with.

- HC

Fartographer

Pr

I think AA has an information and PR branch. But if you just call the local number they won't be interested in helping. That number is for helping people who have a drinking problem. They won't be able to help you with statistics and other general information. It seems like they should have directed you to the right people, though. Check their Web site. It's also likely that there is a public agency or hospital in your area that can help you with the data you're looking for.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    You might try containg a nursing school and explaining to them what you are doing and ask if have a psychiatric-mental health nurse in the faculty. A primary job of nurses is to teach. You might e-mail the questions to them. Some will help, some will not. My psychiatric-mental health nurse instructor was very good at answering questions but I don't know her e-mail, I'm not even sure my nursing school has e-mail to contact instructors like many schools have.

Or try to contact a univ dept of sociology or psychology and try to get your questions answered.

I spent a week of clinical rotations working in a chemical dependency unit. I can't answer many of your questions but no, people are not adequately informed of the dangers of alcoholism or is impact on society or the family. To help an addict is hard, they must admit they have a problem and you need to be willing to listen and do not judge them. Sadly, a lot of the people I saw on the unit did not seem to care about getting "cured", but at least the doc in charge was really good. He was a recovering addict so he knew what he was talking about. But when they hit absolute rock bottom, they stand a better chance of success.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Members who have read this thread: 0