Thread: Winter Upgrades

mtbr member

Winter Upgrades

Hi All,
    The snow is deep here in northern colorado, and it will be a while till I can make it to the desert to ride. In the mean time I am planing to upgrade my bike. I am looking for any advice on what would be the best upgrades I can do to make my bike lighter, faster, and better for next season. I trashed the drive train last year so I have to replace the whole drive train as part of the improvments. The bike is an EX 8. Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks in advance,

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Seems like keeping the engine tuned during the winter helps everybody's riding come spring.

Ryan

mtbr member
    The engine is getting plenty of training in. I am asking about diffrent bike upgrades. I am hoping to improve my bike and become a better bike mecanic in the process.

Apr 2007
    This is rather a very broad topic. I mean, you can upgrade every single component on the bike. Just pick something and go for it. Start with wheels.

The 5th knuckle
    I'm doing the same thing. Of all the responses I've received from shops and folks I ride with, Wheels, wheels, wheels and then the wheels. If you have some money left over, a good crank and derailleur goes along way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    This is rather a very broad topic. I mean, you can upgrade every single component on the bike. Just pick something and go for it. Start with wheels.
    Coming from someone with the same bike as the OP, I can say the Bontrager Dusters that come with it are a pretty good wheel. Strong and not too heavy (thought I wouldn't call them light). Here's what I would do, and I have done a lot of these myself:

-Tubeless: Use the Bontrager tubeless strips, made specifically for your wheel as opposed to the Stan's ones that are much more expensive and not made for your wheel specifically. I use the Bontrager strips with Stan's sealant.
    -Seat: Bontrager seats suck, I picked up a WTB Silverado on chainlove for $60, only 199g (vs. almost 300g for the stock one) and much more comfortable
    -Stem/handlebar: This is assuming yours aren't comfortable for you, I picked up a 75mm Bontrager Race X Lite stem (only 100g) and RaceFace Deus handlebars (280g)
    -XT DynaSys drivetrain: I went 1x10, all XT parts (shifter, derailleur, chain, cassette) and it shifts much nicer than stock, also lost about 350g in the process
    -Bashgaurd: Not a lot of people use the 42t ring on the trails, no need for it IMO. Get rid of it and get a nice light bashgaurd, BBG is a good option, I personally have a Shimano one, you can lose a bit more weight here
    -Cranks (I haven't done these): I'd go with SLX or XT (XTR if you have almost $600 to drop) DynaSys, you will get 2 chainrings instead of 3. You can lose a couple hundred grams

If you want to start to drop some serious cash, you can think about a new fork, getting your fork PUSHed (Push Industries) or new wheels (Stans, Mavic...lots of choices).

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx
    The engine is getting plenty of training in. I am asking about diffrent bike upgrades. I am hoping to improve my bike and become a better bike mecanic in the process.
    You could work on your spelling and become a better writer too.

I'm just kidding you.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    As others have mentioned, "wheels" seems to be a very common response to the "what to upgrade" question. Seems like the most bang for the buck.

If you just want to get more comfortable working on your bike, you could invest in some nice bike-specific tools. Maybe even a repair stand. The Park Tools website has great, pictorial how-tos on most bicycle maintenance that you would ever need to perform.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by bronx

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. Wheels would be great but that would also be quite expensive. I plan to buy a set of tools, but for now I have my multi tool . I will definetly look at the park tools web video's. Do ya'll have have any other advice on places to learn mechanic skills? I used to work at a gart sports and build bikes in the shop, but its been years, and the training I received there is questionable at best.
    Stanz85, I must have an older ex 8 than you because it came with the rythem wheel set. I like the idea of replacing the handle bars and stem. Replacing the seat and going tubeless are also great ideas.
    I have to replace the drive train regardless, but I have been told to replace it with the same components. Do ya'all think thats good advice or should I upgrade them while I am replacing them anyway?
    Thanks again

Oh yeah, and 120. I knoe I spell like a drunk 5 year ole. thanks for being the grammer police.

Members who have read this thread: 0