mtbr member

Winter Riding in Canada

Hi guys,

Not much riding for me these past couple weeks with a couple feet of new snow and sub -20 degree weather so I finally got around to editting some video I took prior to the massive winter storm, which will finally pass through early this week. Here is some footage from a ride prior to our storm on a short solo ride I did. I hope you enjoy it!

If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Granny Gear Abuser
    So, what did the cops want?
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

mtbr member
    Apparently there were some kids out playing on the river (and the ice doesn't get very thick.) Police were on there way to check it out and wanted to know if I had seen anything.
    Last edited by gord962; 01-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Enjoyed the video, makes me want to ride in the snow, too.

I do admit, though I had a hard time picking out the trail for most of the vid. Was it easier for you at the time, and was that because you had tinted lenses of some sort?

local trails rider
    I could probably catch very similar scenes in my local woods.

It takes good lighting and/or high picture quality to catch the exact contours of the snow in a photo or video. In the sections with good light, the tread is quite obvious. If you have even a thin layer of untouched snow blurring the shades of white, a camera has a really hard time picking it out even when the eye sees the trail quite well.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    It was taken in 720p but the problem near the end was the angle of the camera was pointed too high. That combined with the lighting not quite what it was on some of the earlier pieces and it is very hard to pick out the lines on the screen.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Makes me wish for cold, crisp mornings! I've been on the West Coast for over 20 years now but I spent 6 years in Edmonton in the mid eighties prior to that. It was fun to play "hey I recognize that!" while watching your vid.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    ok how in the heck is your bike going through all this? lol i must know!

local trails rider
    Ha...
    a well packed snow trail can be faster than a so-so hard pack dirt trail. The main difference is: if you stray from the packed tread, you stop in a very short distance.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail
    at least the bike does
    You have a point there...

... Put it this way then: the bike stops in a very short distance. How long you take to stop depends on how fast you were going. Like if you were going slowly, knowing that the edges of the tread are weak...

Members who have read this thread: 0