Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Who knew?

  1. #1
    you know your crazy right
    Reputation: konahottie_311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    271

    Who knew?

    I have been going to phyiso for my back,mostly massage therapy, for about 2 months after a big crash in Aug (I was a little slow getting some help in healing). The massage has beeen really good but so painful and as much as she does by the time I get back to see her it hurts so much, everytime. It is making a differance in my day to day life(not nearly as sore as I was) and I have been biking as much as I can because it seems to make it feel better but yesterday she said the damage I did is basically a sprained back.I would never have thought of that until she said it. No wonder it is taking so long to heal.
    Anyone else ever done this and what did you do to help heal?
    Boobs to the tube.......

  2. #2
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by konahottie_311
    Anyone else ever done this and what did you do to help heal?
    Drugs saddly enough. Massive amounts of drugs. Muscle relaxers, plus anti-inflamatorries.....and if it's real bad, wash them down with a fifth.

    Oh yeah, and time. Make sure you do as little in your daily life to aggrivate it...e.g. bad posture when typing at the keyboard, especially if u have a desk job...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,865
    Quote Originally Posted by konahottie_311
    I have been going to phyiso for my back,mostly massage therapy, for about 2 months after a big crash in Aug (I was a little slow getting some help in healing). The massage has beeen really good but so painful and as much as she does by the time I get back to see her it hurts so much, everytime. It is making a differance in my day to day life(not nearly as sore as I was) and I have been biking as much as I can because it seems to make it feel better but yesterday she said the damage I did is basically a sprained back.I would never have thought of that until she said it. No wonder it is taking so long to heal.
    Anyone else ever done this and what did you do to help heal?
    I can see how you feel. I have a leg longer 9mm than the other and a biphid (a not well formed vertebrae) spine... it gave me lots of pain at my high and lower back (not at the same time fortunately) until I got a midsole that raises my shorter leg up.

    Doctors said it was better for me not to ride my bike as it could cause some damage... but I actually got more pain from other sports than cycling!

    So, you rather get to a bike shop you trust and get your bike fitted to you. Get a female's specific bikes, saddle, chamois, etc. and swap all the control parts needed until you get the PERFECT fit for you. This will alleviate a lot of pains off the back believe it or not.

    This is a perfect opportunity to drop some dough on a Titus female specific Racer-X or Motolite full-suspension bike. A full-susser will save your spine from the punishment. Titus makes maybe the best female specific bikes out there.

    If your bike is properly fit, it will help lots with sore back or pain while riding and after riding.


    Edit.... nevermind... I just saw your profile and you probably know more of bikes than me. Being a FR'er bike position and/or fit doesn't count as much.
    Last edited by Warp; 12-02-2005 at 09:54 AM.
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    you know your crazy right
    Reputation: konahottie_311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    271

    thanks

    I am not taking to many drugs...except the red wine....but I would say that the worst is sitting at the desk all day for sure. I spend all day tring to make sure that i am sitting right.I have a hot/cold pack here as well in case it gets really bad.
    As for the bike thing...i have little to no pain whlie riding.It actually goes away on the way home when I can commute..(the weather is crap out here for that this week).If I am in pain at the end ot the day the ride home helps so much....And i am a Kona girl to the end..they fit me really well and I am getting a FS XC bike this winter for the 2 races I am doing next summer so as not to hurt my back any more and I guess I should not fall off anymore jumps due to lack of speed when feeriding on the big bike....lol.
    Boobs to the tube.......

  5. #5
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,865
    Quote Originally Posted by konahottie_311
    I am not taking to many drugs...except the red wine....but I would say that the worst is sitting at the desk all day for sure. I spend all day tring to make sure that i am sitting right.I have a hot/cold pack here as well in case it gets really bad.
    As for the bike thing...i have little to no pain whlie riding.It actually goes away on the way home when I can commute..(the weather is crap out here for that this week).If I am in pain at the end ot the day the ride home helps so much....And i am a Kona girl to the end..they fit me really well and I am getting a FS XC bike this winter for the 2 races I am doing next summer so as not to hurt my back any more and I guess I should not fall off anymore jumps due to lack of speed when feeriding on the big bike....lol.
    Cool!!! Sorry for suggesting some other brand

    I wish I could conmute... It would make my life much better.

    Keep it up, rubber side down!!
    Check my Site

  6. #6
    Baron of Gray Matter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    619
    I've had a lot of back pain (due to some messed up vertebrae) and a back doc and PT recommended I strengthen my abdominal muscles and stretch my hamstrings. Most poeple don't realize how much stress hamstrings put on the lower back as explained by the back doc. But if you think about it, the hamsters are much larger than the lower back muscles, so if the hamsters are tight, they strain the lower back muscles causing them to fatigue which causes pain. And cyclist tend to have strong hamsters and weak lower back muscles. So the ideal thing to do is to strengthen the abs and lower back and stretch the hamsters. I do ab exercises and stretch my hamsters and I'm pretty much pain free in the back. But if you have a mechanical problem causing pain, then that's a different issue.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mb3designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,230
    I am recovering from compression fractures to three of my vertebrae due to a cycling injury earlier this year. Getting physical therapy and going to the chiropractor has made all the difference in the world. The main problem I was having is the fact that during the 6 months I wasn't able to exercise my stomach and lower back muscles had gotten really weak. Riding and working out was very painful at first, but slowly the pain is less and less daily. The hardest part is trying to build up a decent fitness base again. Just keep exercising and taking care of yourself and you will be back to your old self in no time.

  8. #8
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    I've had a lot of back pain (due to some messed up vertebrae) and a back doc and PT recommended I strengthen my abdominal muscles and stretch my hamstrings. Most poeple don't realize how much stress hamstrings put on the lower back as explained by the back doc. But if you think about it, the hamsters are much larger than the lower back muscles, so if the hamsters are tight, they strain the lower back muscles causing them to fatigue which causes pain. And cyclist tend to have strong hamsters and weak lower back muscles. So the ideal thing to do is to strengthen the abs and lower back and stretch the hamsters. I do ab exercises and stretch my hamsters and I'm pretty much pain free in the back. But if you have a mechanical problem causing pain, then that's a different issue.
    That would explain a lots of things to me.... I need to excersise my abs.
    Check my Site

  9. #9
    you know your crazy right
    Reputation: konahottie_311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    271

    wow

    I knew that i should build up my core for riding but i never really understood how much it would help my back..so thanks and i guess I better get on it..and the "hamster" info was great was well.
    Boobs to the tube.......

  10. #10
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by konahottie_311
    I knew that i should build up my core for riding but i never really understood how much it would help my back..so thanks and i guess I better get on it..and the "hamster" info was great was well.
    Where do you feel the pain? Working muscles to support your low back is always a good idea, but this may not be the source of your pain, per se (Other muscles that should be addressed in low back involve hip flexors and quads, too).

    Along with any therapy, you might apply light exercise as well as stretching. Those exercises and stretches would be specific to those muscles you injured. I think I remember that you hurt your shoulder? upper back?

    Combine this injury with the fact that most people generally have stronger pectoralis muscles (opposers to the back) combined with protraction of the shoulder(s), you have an opportunity to correct other deviations that will help your back in the long run. You CMT should be able to help you with this. If not, PM me and I'll explain it in more detail.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,799
    Been there, done that. It takes about 6 months. Or at least it did with me. I don't envy you. At least you did it on a bike. Mine was a fall off a balconey, because a rail broke. It will heal, and you'll be better. Good luck.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.