banned
    Mar 2005

Who else commutes in the cold?

Looks like winter has found us in Toronto, and today was the second day on my winterbike. Quite the slog Thursday but today is sunny, -13C, and a perfect day for my 17km of urban singletrack into the office...later today, 17km home and by 3:00 PM we'll be riding the roads at the cottage

here's a few pics of today in Toronto...enjoy the weekend (extra long for our U.S. friends)
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Mar 2005
    the last few km to my hitching post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wolf nipple chips

hells yes...

it wasn't quite that cold here in st louis this morning, but it was at least 10 degrees below freezing! got about a 3 mile ride to work - those windproof jackets don't breath too well so i was sweating by the time i got here. looking forward to the ride home. the only annoying thing about cold weather (if dressed right) is the cold air stinging my throat.

CF

mtbr member
    Up until about a month ago I comuted year long in St Louis for almost 6 years. Depending on my duty location I rode anywhere from four to 10 miles. It can get cold there, I know! I found that even by dressing well that my temperature cutoff was 20 degrees. Anything below that was just too cold. I could protect my face, my head and and body, but those neoprene foot covers did just NOT to the trick to keep my feet warm. I learned to hate the cold. So, now I live in Phoenix....not cold here!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What winter? The last couple of weeks in Calgary have been way above normal for this time of year. People are in shorts and playing golf. It was 20dg Celsius the other day. Unfortunately, this/Friday is going to be the last day that is well above normal. It was nice while it lasted because we didn't get much of a summer this year.

My commuter bike is a rigid KHS Montana which I ride all year round.

you know your crazy right
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    What winter? The last couple of weeks in Calgary have been way above normal for this time of year. People are in shorts and playing golf. It was 20dg Celsius the other day. Unfortunately, this/Friday is going to be the last day that is well above normal. It was nice while it lasted because we didn't get much of a summer this year.

My commuter bike is a rigid KHS Montana which I ride all year round.
    Yeah this week has been amazing for commuting in Calgary...so sad it has to end but it's good for the mountians.And after the summer of rain it was nice to have a break before winter hits for sure. I plan to Commute as much as I can this year and as I am buying a new xcountry bike I am going to use my 01 Kona cinder cone as my commuter bike from now on. Kona
    Boobs to the tube.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I also live in Calgary and ride year round.

Last year I had to stop at -20C because my rear hub wouldn't engage. I replaced the wheel this year so hopefully that won't stop me this year. Pogies for the hands and electric socks for the feet are the keys to riding in the cold.

The coldest day I have ridden was -35C with the wind chill. It wasn't fun but I hate riding the bus and that is my alternative.

mtbr member

Vancouver Commuter!

Yeah I used to live in Calgary.....gets too darn cold for the commute. Now I ride all year round on my SS. Our 'winter' gets all the way down to +5C at the worst, it is the rain that really starts to bother ya...

Buzz

MCM#45

Formerly DMR For Life
    no deadicated commuter here...and no place to put the bike inside but i still ride as much as possible
    don't think i'll make it much south of -10C we'll see though...i think i'm going to have to take the hookworms off my bike tonight
    DMR

Full of holes

Yep.

I commute throughout the winter. The only thing that stops me is snow on the roads or freezing fog. Its just too dangerous on the roads then.

I can't complete with -13C, but it's been hovering around freezing here. I commuted on Thursday when it was -2. It snowed overnight, so I worked from home Friday and let the cars fight it out amoungst themselves. It's the same story every year here: we get caught with an early snowstorm, no-one has winter tyres and it's chaos on the roads.

Members who have read this thread: 0