mtbr member

wheres the cold weather love

i am a noob the mtb so i dont know what the winter season holds for the sport since this is my first one as a mtber (i started in september) but i have read many post about winter riding and seen pic of riders riding in the snow here on mtbr but i went on my first ride in the cold and snow last week and i fell in love and have gone almost everyday since, but the only tracks on the trail are mine and those of my friend that rides with me. the temp has been around 25-30 and there has only been about 5in-7in of snow fall since christmas so the conditions havent been horrible. i guess my question is those that have the passion (or stupidity which ever you call it) the minority of the sport. if so i dont see why cuz the snow makes the trail a whole different animal its like riding a familar trail for the first time again i love it

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Don't know where you live but here in PA there's lots of guys who'll ride in winter at any temp. With the right layering riding bare frozen trails or those with a little snow represents some of the best riding there is. Only problem here is just how much snow's hit the Northeast since Christmas - haven't been able to ride more than a few days in the last month.

mtbr member
    I picked up my new bike lastnight, and took it out this morning. 30 degrees and about 4-5" of snow. Very fun, but very tiring because i have not ridden a pedal bike in years until this morning.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Today was the first time the high temperature was below 70F in about a week and a half. It generally doesn't even hit 70 during the summer. And yes, I'm in the northern hemisphere.

I wouldn't know cold weather riding if I was doing it.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    im glad to see there are true mtbers out there i guess the riders around here (northwest indiana) are panzies...if any NWI riders are on here then go get some under armuor and GO RIDE!!

mtbr member
    The cold weather love is in the fatbike forum.

My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

local trails rider
    You can ride on snow without a Fat Bike too, if the conditions are right.

Old pic because we've got a lot of snow and it is not packing well.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Here's another path. Rode it yesterday and it's still pretty much the same as pictured. Just a little more slippery than before as it's melt and refrozen with a thin layer of powder snow on top.

cycle dad
    My bike is out for repairs. Otherwise I ride in the right snow.

Yes, that's fonetic
    The thing I love about cold weather is that I rarely have to deal with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rinseflow
    Here's another path. Rode it yesterday and it's still pretty much the same as pictured. Just a little more slippery than before as it's melt and refrozen with a thin layer of powder snow on top.

not fat bikes here i dont like those things....this pic is what i was expecting when i went out the first time...but it looks like its up to my friend and i and the deer to get it to that point cuz i went out today and not a soul had been out there

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Where I live this is what cold weather is for:

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I'll bike when it's mizzubly cold outside so long as there's not over 2 or 3 inches of snow. Once the snow piles up, the cross-country skis come out and I get my fun that way. Some of our singletrack here is harder on skis than it is on a bike.

I was outside today for an hour and 45 minutes and got in 6.3 miles.
    Go ride your bike.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    There's cold and there's COLD !

I don't mind riding snow packed trails or "cold" temps. Some of my favorite rides were at <20f.

But I'm looking at a forecasted "high" of -4 on Tuesday and -10 /-20 temps every night all this week.

I'm glad I got in 16 mi today at a balmy 34F.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Where I live this is what cold weather is for:

Yer goin' the wrong way!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Tell me about it man...;.I live in El Paso and nobody night rides through the winter because the temps are a harsh (sarcastic) mid 30s to high 40s at night. I'm one of the few that rides through the cold. Even daytime on the weekends there significantly less cars in the parking lots of trailheads than in the summer when it is completely full. This "cold" winter here is what separates the true passionate mountain bikers from the others. I like being true,

mtbr member
    I love the "its to cold, or to much snow around these parts" bah, I snowshoe where the snow is deep, and I look for the "banana belt area's" where snow is not so deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQ5_Z6iWv8

mtbr member
    looks like my winter riding is coming to a end for a lil while...theres a blizzard watch in my area with 18-24in of snow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thestig_wj
    ...but it looks like its up to my friend and i and the deer to get it to that point cuz i went out today and not a soul had been out there
    Very often the case here too. Pretty much the happy bunch of me, myself and I keeping some sections open.
    Last edited by rinseflow; 01-31-2011 at 12:28 AM.

local trails rider
    People have been opening trails with snow shovels here. Too much fluffy snow that doesn't get packed easily. One strategy has been to make the beginning of the trail really good: once you get the people on the trail, they'll keep going.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member

Gotta ride!!

Gotta ride!! Weather can't beat passion

Kasper

turtles make me hot
    I'll ride in pretty much any temperature Long Island winters can dish out. Right now, only problem is all the trails are under more than a foot of snow.
    Tried to ride yesterday in snowmobile tracks. I let about half the air out of my tires and was sorta able to do it, but every time the front tire slid off the track, my front wheel disappeard up to the axle. Finally gave up and rode the road and parking lot in the state park. At least there's a hill.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    Tried to ride yesterday in snowmobile tracks. I let about half the air out of my tires and was sorta able to do it, but every time the front tire slid off the track, my front wheel disappeard up to the axle. Finally gave up and rode the road and parking lot in the state park. At least there's a hill.
    That is what a fat bike is for.

The fun starts at 1:38.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

Members who have read this thread: 0