mtbr member

Where to ride near Flagstaff, AZ early April???

I'm hiking the Grand Canyon the first week in April and want to spend a couple days on the end of the trip riding trails near Flagstaff. I would like some suggestions for a couple good XC or All-Mountain trails to ride and shops to rent a bike, near (within an hour or two) of Flagstaff AZ on April 9-10.

Thanks for any help or links.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise
    Thanks for any help or links.
    You may want to post up in the AZ Forum

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Good point... should have posted there and in "general". Sorry.
    Last edited by tshulthise; 02-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    No worries, just make sure you post the ride report and pictures back here, we'd love to see'em

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Will do!

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Sedona!
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterRide
    Sedona!
    +1. you probably wont find any decent riding until you get off the Plateau.
    Last year there wasnt anything above 8000 rideable at the end of may!!

mtbr member
    We could go as far south as Phoenix or a little further. Flights are cheaper into Phoenix anyway. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Sedona should be perfect then, Phoenix will be pretty hot.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Des(s)ert Rat
    Sedona has amazing riding, and is about 45 minutes from Flagstaff (if I remember correctly). Ride there, you won't regret it.

Phoenix has some good stuff, too.

Underskilled
    My problems is every time I ride there my in laws turn up. shame, it is good, but nothing is worth the sacrifice.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Sedona is some good riding for sure. For some beautiful high country riding, try the Cabin Loop Trail on top of the Rim. A little more off the beaten track, some great single track and scenery. It's a trail system that dates back to when the Forest Service patrolled on horseback. Old cabins, corrals and wells abound. Nice running creeks and some water crossings as well. The full deal is about 26 miles, around 5-6 hours ride time.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

No really, I am that slow

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you aren't riding most if not all of Mt. Elden by that time frame, then they got hit late with moisture. If AZ Bikes is still around then go there for beta - if not then Absolute. Flagstaff rocks...not taking anything awy from Sedona. but they don't compare.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions!

banned

Sedona for sure

I havent lived in the Sedona area for 10 years, but it should be on the "must do" list. Bike N Bean rents bikes and can get you set up. More riding than you have time for. Does anyone know if Craig is still at B and B?

I actually like riding in Flag better as well, but in April there might be snow on the ground or really soggy and cold. As mentioned, depends on moisture.

Back in the day. You could ride the N Rim of the Grand Canyon. The S Rim has been closed to riding other than pavement for as long as I can remember. Its been a long time since I rode the N Rim. It very well could be closed to mtn biking now.

Screw Pheonix! Ride central and northern AZ if your on a road trip.

mtbr member
    Good point... should have posted there and in "general". Sorry.
    We aren't very helpful over there in the AZ forum. You'd think AZ was full of trolls (well it is run by one; Jan Brewer)

AZ Bikes is moving right now but will be open by then (San Fran and Butler).

Count on Sedona though. But Flag maybe a possibility since we are having a very dry winter.

+1 on Bike and Bean in Village of Oak Creek

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    We aren't very helpful over there in the AZ forum. You'd think AZ was full of trolls (well it is run by one; Jan Brewer)

AZ Bikes is moving right now but will be open by then (San Fran and Butler).

Count on Sedona though. But Flag maybe a possibility since we are having a very dry winter.

+1 on Bike and Bean in Village of Oak Creek

Someone always has to get political..
    Are you moving in by the old rancho grande? or on the other side of butler?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Someone always has to get political..
    Are you moving in by the old rancho grande? or on the other side of butler?
    It wasn't meant to be political- regardless of political views she is reminescent of a troll. That's all.

I'm not AZ Bikes but they are moving into that big brick building across from the new smoke shop, if that helps. Bryce, the owner is going to start focusing more on frame building there, is what he told me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't ride in Flagstaff in April unless you like mud and snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestHorse
    Don't ride in Flagstaff in April unless you like mud and snow.
    There's no mud in Flagstaff. This year the trails will most likely be dry and dusty in between the occasional snowbank.

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    I havent lived in the Sedona area for 10 years, but it should be on the "must do" list. Bike N Bean rents bikes and can get you set up. More riding than you have time for. Does anyone know if Craig is still at B and B?
    Craig, as in mountain biking the states Craig? He was there a week ago hanging out, but by April who knows. Bike and Bean will set you up for sure. They will ask you what you want to ride and point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are you still planning on doing some riding in AZ in April?

I'm in Tucson and could meet you for some rides.

To be honest, I don't know any of the trails up there (Flagstaff, Sedona, Phoenix), but would love the opportunity to get to explore some and not be solo.

Now, if you wanted to swing down to Tucson (I would even be up for playing taxi), then I could show you some great trails down here.

Anyway, just pm me if you are game.

William

Downhiller
    phoenix is a pretty awesome place to ride. national, and mormon on south mountain are sweet desert classic im told is an awesome xc trail, if you go to phoenix talk to the guys at cactus bikes. theres one right near south mountain on elliot and 48th street. they rent bikes and do tours as well so they are the guys to go to there, i have nothing but great things about sedona, and i have only ridden in flag once and it was amazing but it was also a dh trail but all the pics ive seen from the other trails on elden lookf un too.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, there is a veritable plethora of options in AZ near Flagstaff in late April.

Sedona for sure. Tell us what you like to ride and we can suggest some routes.

Flagstaff may be good to go except the highest stuff barring lots of heavy late snows as Rockman stated.

Prescott: The Dells will be perfect if you like slow techy rock crawling and I'll bet many of their higher up XC forested trails will be rideable then as well.

You will find more than you have time to ride in the above three locations but if your thirst is still unslaked ..... head further south.

Phoenix: It's not too hot in Phoenix in April.....usually. 90s are possible but 80s are more likely. Terrific assortment of trails. Again... tell us what you like and we should be able to suggest some routes.

Tucson: More like3-4 hours away from Flag but well worth it.

And there's no shortage of great folks in AZ willing to show you around in my experience.
    Last edited by KRob; 03-22-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Yep, we'll have Saturday and Sunday April 9 and 10 open for riding. We will be coming from Flagstaff Saturday morning and have to be in Phoenix early Monday to fly out.

We ride a mix of AM and XC trails around here. I prefer fast and flowing over slow and tech but I don't mind 1-3' drops and the occasional jump. We'll need to rent bikes when we get there so I need to check to see if getting the bikes back early Monday is an issue.

So, that means we are open to riding Phoenix, Sedona and/or Flagstaff. I'd prefer to ride where the trails are very unlikely to be wet. If we could ride 15 miles or so Saturday afternoon and 30+ for an all day Sunday ride, that would be ideal.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

Downhiller
    phoenix is usually pretty dry so that shouldn't be an issue and you can easily do 15 -30+ miles on national and other trails its pretty flowy in some sections and very technical in others but the little of it that i have ridden i enjoyed a great deal even though i ride a big bike thats hard to pedal and i usually walk up a lot of stuff...also i've never been to sedona but i would recommend it, i've heard nothing but good things about sedona.

mtbr member
    If we could ride 15 miles or so Saturday afternoon and 30+ for an all day Sunday ride, that would be ideal.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!
    Given that you have a day and a half to ride and want dry....Here's what I'd do if I were you:
    1) Go to Sedona, rent a bike from the Bike and Bean or Absolute Bikes in Oak Creek Village.
    2) Get information on trails from them
    3) enjoy

One of my favorite short loops in Sedona is Broken Arrow to Chicken Point, then down Little Horse to Mystic then follow the signs through the neighborhood pact to the Morgan Road/Broken Arrown Trail head. If you want to add in some tech you can easily do the Hogs as a loop off this route.

You can easily extend this loop by starting at Bell Rock TH right across from Bike and Bean and ride up Bell Rock Pathway to Mystic-Morgan Road/Broken Arrow-Chicken Point-Little Horse-Llama-Bell Rock pathway. You can extend it even more by crossing uder the highway and doing Templeton to Buddha Beach to Baldwin. Fun stuff.

Highline is a bit more technical and has some exposure but is a very fun 2-3 hour ride as well. Check out this video posted by u2me2 in the AZ forum.

For your longer Sunday ride I'd check out a version of the Something Different Ride that Traildoc led at the recent AZ Spring Fling.

Speaking of Traildoc, he'd be your best bet for all Sedona trails iformation.

Sedona has some great trails. Fast and flowing XC with some tech mixed in or max tech too if you desire.... but always with spectacular views.

Memorial Day AZ 2010 033
    Last edited by KRob; 03-23-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0