mtbr member

What's your biggest Mountain Biking regret?

It could be anything from taking the wrong line and ending up in the hospital to just skipping a really good deal on a new ride.

Mine is selling my Pivot Mach 429 Carbon for no other reason than just wanting something new and different. My new bike is a plus tire hardtail and while the traction is amazing it reminds me every ride that I'm getting older and the reason I went full cush in the first place.

CoolArrow
    Not moving west sooner than I did. (Ohio to New Mexico/CO)
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    mine is moving to a place where 100 ft is the greatest elevation change...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    My Regret.
    Not riding in my twenties.
    Bought a Mountain bike at 23 and only used it a handful of Times. Mostly on flat trails.
    So missed out on a whole bunch of riding while in my prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Easy, starting at 49 instead of 29!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Can't think of anything.

mtbr member
    Not being born with endurance. I'm more fast twitch than slow twitch. Basically, I suck wind after five minutes. But I can't complain, fast-twitch has served me well in other sports, just not MTB. But I still love it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not riding for 5 years while I chased the American dream. Then I realized I didnt want the normal American dream.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Taking 15 years off from serious MTB riding. Dabbled MTB while I focused more on the road. I don't regret spending time on the skinny tires, but I should have spent more time on the knobbies. I barely touched my MTB for a solid 10 years.

I got back into DH racing recently and have been playing catchup. The e-bike helps a lot with that. I self shuttle the local gnar and still train on the road and on a smart trainer.

Cycologist
    My "lost years" when I didn't ride, 19992005. Yep, got married and started a family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Telling my wife how much I paid for my bikes.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    I regret not going to Moab.

Yet.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Not being born with endurance. I'm more fast twitch than slow twitch. Basically, I suck wind after five minutes. But I can't complain, fast-twitch has served me well in other sports, just not MTB. But I still love it.
    Get a smart trainer if it matters to you. The Tacx Flux is relatively inexpensive.

Unless you actually won the genetic lottery for really bad genes, chances are you have some endurance in you. A smart trainer paired with a good app like TrainerRoad will get you to a decent level in a matter of weeks, and a very good level if you stick to it for a season.

mtbr member
    Not getting as involved in the sport and riding before career and kids. My interest, knowledge, skill, and bike quality are all far higher than they were in my 20s, but my free time is a small fraction of what it once was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    That one corner.......

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    My Regret.

Not riding in my twenties.
    Bought a Mountain bike at 23 and only used it a handful of Times. Mostly on flat trails.
    So missed out on a whole bunch of riding while in my prime.
    Mostly, this. While I did start in my twenties, I quit when we started having kids. I am glad that I took it up again in my late 30's and got both of my boys interested, though. They're starting families of their own and still ride with me. For now...
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nada.

Professional Crastinator
    Regrets about MTBing?!

I think I regret not poaching as many trails as I could before everyone got so uptight about it.

That, and Nuke Proof hubs.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Still trying to think of something....
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    I got no regerts...at 58 most have become lawn Nazi's or couch potatoes. I look forward to my next ride as much as I ever did.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QaTqwIWT4_o6VS
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Buying bike crap based on hype. Fox. Yeti.

mtbr member
    Opening a bike shop

mtbr member
    Not starting riding sooner than I did. All those years, miles and trails gone.

But I am going to make up for it or die trying

Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not riding with people better than myself sooner, you really stagnate if you only chase yourself.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by FPtheBored View Post
    Not riding with people better than myself sooner, you really stagnate if you only chase yourself.
    Yeah, I've been doing this lately, amazing how much more you push yourself!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Not starting out 3 or 4 years earlier o_0

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Give'er!
    Not riding more in the various places I've lived. :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I hear you, I'm almost exclusively fast twitch fiber as well - held the record at my university's exercise physiology lab for watts/kg on a Wingate maximal anaerobic power test for a long, long time. I can put down a ton of watts for a very finite length of time.

The good news is that with training fast twitch fiber will gradually start to act more like slow twitch. I used to have to take a more than a few breaks going up this one hill when I first started riding 'cause I was totally spent. After a year or two, I didn't even consider that section to be much of a hill anymore and just powered right up it.

It'll happen for you, too. Just keep riding, and push yourself just a little further when you think you can't.

Oh, and my mountain biking regret? Moving from New England to South East Michigan for work. The trails here mostly have the technical challenge of a runway. This need to earn a living is inconvenient at best.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by FPtheBored View Post

Agree. But that was out of my control, living where I did. So maybe not really a regret.

Besides, my regrets/mistakes are now gold and give me a blue print to help my kids. They've been mountain biking since 4 and are still at it. Mostly my son is just turning 12 and still digs it. We are now riding partners, both xc and dh. Not only does he have way more natural athletic talent, but I'm hoping he can learn from my mistakes. Trying hard not to live through them... yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    I hear you, I'm almost exclusively fast twitch fiber as well - held the record at my university's exercise physiology lab for watts/kg on a Wingate maximal anaerobic power test for a long, long time. I can put down a ton of watts for a very finite length of time.

The good news is that with training fast twitch fiber will gradually start to act more like slow twitch. I used to have to take a more than a few breaks going up this one hill when I first started riding 'cause I was totally spent. After a year or two, I didn't even consider that section to be much of a hill anymore and just powered right up it.

It'll happen for you, too. Just keep riding, and push yourself just a little further when you think you can't.
    I started riding at 47. 68 now. I certainly improved over the years, both in condition and skill, but I typically would bring up the rear even in moderate pace group rides with other weekend warriors, despite riding regularly. A few years ago I finally gave up on trying to go fast and now I just poke around, usually by myself, and find I enjoy it a great deal more when I have a a little oxygen still making it to my brain. At this stage if my life, my goal isn't to go fast, but to keep going.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Telling my wife how much I paid for my bikes.
    2013 Scott Scale 970 (Reba fork)
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8 (with added RS dropper post)

Nat
    mtbr member
    I started riding about 30 years ago, back when I lived in Colorado. At the time I was young enough to not want to go riding in the mountains without company and at that age most of my friends preferred to hang out on the campus quad playing frisbee, volleyball, or just laying about. It was more social than pedaling around on some remote mountain trail (something about what would be more likely to get you laid or something like that). I didn't go riding in the CO Rockies nearly as much as I could've, back when it was in quite easy reach. All I needed was a little more gumption. Now I don't often wait around for other people to get their act together for a group ride. When I see a window of opportunity I grab my bike and go.

Barely in control
    I took a few years off but I don't regret that. Tubeless and good fs designs were invented at that time that made riding far, far more pleasurable than the 1.95" tire hard tails and URTs I was riding. Now I have a bunch of awesome bikes.

I've made some bad decisions but they were the best decisions with the information I had at the time so I can't really regret them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Rode an ill-fitted bike for 2 years. I only realized it after i bought the next bike.

Snow Dog
    I regret "excusing" myself out of the activity for 20 years: '95-2105

Had ridden BMX from 76 to 1988 pretty hardcore, and then MTB into college. Chased some other dreams in the 90's, but really could have kept riding...

back into it though, so regrets are fading...and I did have some fun with my other pursuits (playing in bands and touring the country). Music is my 9-5, which was always really my ultimate dream as well, so now I am getting to do both
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not starting way sooner. Rode a lot of Roadie as a kid, raced Crits a bit and logged thousands of Road miles till early twenties. After that got into Motorcycles and fast cars, got fat. Picked up MTB at 50, got in great shape, raced XC for a while and have been riding hard for 6 years straight. I ride 2-4 days per week. I just wish I had done this sooner...

mtbr member
    not starting sooner than I did, but it was always in the back of my mind just took me a long while to act upon those thoughts.

Co Springs
    Nothing significant comes to mind.
    I had my 90 or 91 Specialized HardRock from new and only a few years before leaving MI to come to CO. That really worked well to pique my interest, and at a time when fitness was not much effort. I was 32 - 33 y/o and probably 155 or so. Rides were more for social outings and learning what CO had to offer. Now at 25 years down the dusty road, I value the rides as means of fitness more so and have learned enough about our local trails to stay 'infected'.

I have some right shoulder pain and range of motion issues somewhat that happened as a high speed shoulder versus ground impact mtn biking about 18 years ago. I DO regret that and wondered at the time if it would haunt me in later years.
    It does at times but I'm not complaining. Lots worse can happen and I brought that upon myself.

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Not getting into it sooner! Bought a semi decent bike in 2009 and only rode it a handful of times until last fall and then the MTB bug bit hard!! I'm sucked in now! Wish it would have happened 10 years ago though. Being 43 sucks sometimes haha
    My Noob MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Easy, starting at 49 instead of 29!
    Same!
    2018 XL Trek Fuel 7 EX
    2016 XL Framed Wolftrax Fat Bike

mtbr member
    I took off several years while I was in my prime. I rode several times a week from 1992-1996. I was in my mid 20s, in phenomenal shape and my skills were getting so much better.

I then moved to suburban Boston and life got in the way. Long work hours and family took over and biking and other activities went by the wayside.

I started riding once a week again around 2003 but really didn't ride seriously until 2012. Today, I'm obviously older, much heavier and have a lot more fear than I used to, but the last 5 years have been great. I wonder how good of a rider I would be today had I rode during those years.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    I sometimes also regret not getting back into riding earlier but then I remember that the area I live in at the time only had 1 "real" mountain bike trail system for a total of about 5 miles. Since I got back into mountain biking there are now no less than 50 miles of trails within 30 minutes drive of me. I'm very happy that I'm in the sport now where the trail options and gear are so good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not learning to wheelie when a kid.

mtbr member
    I've been riding and racing for 25 years or so, and kind of wish I was more serious about my training in past years. I'm much more focused and deliberate now, but those strong days are behind me.

It's not a big regret, though. I've been lucky enough to have done some excellent riding at various places over the years.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not riding a bike (seriously) from age 15 - 25.

I took another (injury) break from age 28 - 34, but I'm back now and hope to continue until I can't.

mtbr member
    Missing out of a few epic biking trips due to lack of $$, family, work commitments.

Dammit.

mtbr member
    Not even a single letter.Name:  ea3d109f6b5403edc8b3754b71512962aa0c3f9ec3649cd370cc4c30c05fb738.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  18.5 KB

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    same a most, had not ridden since I was in my early teens, now at 54, just started riding about a year ago and can already tell a huge difference it has made in my fitness.
    think about where I could have been if I started this 20 or so years ago. oh well, me and the wife are Hooked, bad now.

Always in the wrong gear
    Like most folks, I regret the purchase (or not purchase) of a bike or two. I wish I had stuffed 27.5 wheels into my C'Dale Prophet and kept it instead of selling it several years ago.
    Pre-children- I regret taking a break from bikes (or almost all activity) in favor of several years of a mild video game addiction. I was an Army infantry medic, and very fit from work, but all I and my platoon mates did was play World of Warcraft on the weekends. I should have been out...doing anything else.

Major "confession" forthcoming:
    My biggest regret is letting my wife talk me into a "suburban life" after the military. It's just not compatible with MTB. Riding 2x per week is "a very good week". I ride on average about 6 days a month. I have friends that ride 6 days a week.
    I love my job, I *really do*. I'm an orthopedic (sports) physical therapist. but my student loans are colossal, and the income isn't colossal. I wanted this job, and I fought hard to get through school (it's a doctorate-level degree) I took out a lot of student loans because I let my wife talk me into two kids- of course, I love them but I wasn't sure I wanted ANY. They're young and a long way from self-sufficiency.
    She wanted a 4 bedroom house with a pool in the yard, and of course we need new safe SUVs for the kid transport. that shit is expensive. Because of a mortgage, car loan, student loans, and kid-related expenses, I don't have the discretionary income to engage the sport like I want. I have a really nice bike, but I can only afford *ONE* bike. I fore-go all other spending for my bike. I take PB&J for lunch, I haven't seen the inside of Starbucks in years.

Money aside, all this "life" piles up- kids homework, house cleaning, yard work, etc and... *poof* the evening and weekend is gone. I didn't get to ride. I get grumpy.
    Riding is my sanity, and my health. Averaging just over once a week isn't enough.
    Dont modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Realizing late in my MTB life that there's a whole 'nother world out there to ride. Part of the problem was I didn't know anybody that enjoyed riding enough to travel out of state for the sole purpose of riding. Ever since I started traveling to ride in 2011, I've been going non-stop.....already been to St George and Prescott in 2018, Sedona next week with Cannell Plunge, Whistler, Downieville, Durango and Moab still to come!!!
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I'm 40 and started mountain biking at age 7. I bitterly regret wasting those first six years playing with toys and not mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 60 and started mountain biking at 57. I don't bitterly regret wasting those first 56 years, but have to admit I could have used them better.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    I'm 40 and started mountain biking at age 7. I bitterly regret wasting those first six years playing with toys and not mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Waking too many obsticales while traveling to epic locations. Instead of just committing and let the bike roll.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Not Moving to the North Carolina Mountains sooner,
    Last edited by Osco; 05-05-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    I seek only the Flow,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Not riding a bike for >25yrs(16-41), then not upgrading to a better bike for >5yrs, and that not being a FS. Can't imagine how much better I'd be at this stuff if I'd been into it heavily for 2 decades instead of 2 years.

mtbr member
    Sitting here on the computer when it is probably one of the nicest days of the year. Duh.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

slow
    Very few regrets in my 34 years of mountain biking, but here are a couple:

1. Taking my 5-year old to the top of that hill without confirming he was capable of operating his hand brakes sufficiently for that hill. He crashed pretty hard and basically gave up on mountain biking. That was 16 years ago and he'd much rather be doing Crossfit or playing video games than mountain biking.

2. Not pushing through low motivation periods a little more quickly. Seems that every summer I hit a wall where I don't feel like climbing on the bike for a few weeks, and I lose conditioning and lose out on some mileage and good times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Missing my riding buddy, she could keep up with me with no complaints and was willing to ride anytime/anywhere. Too bad she moved back to CA :-(
    Have ridden with many other riders but she was the best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Getting out of shape. I hate that it limits the riding I can do. But Ill get there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's a toss up between:

Not moving to the Rockies sooner

and

Taking 15 yrs off of riding when I was in phenomenal shape and still trying to get back into decent shape.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Like many...

-Not starting sooner, I got my 1st mt bike in my early 30's

-The purchase of one particular bike that handicapped my riding while I owned it, but I was too inexperienced to realize it.

-Not taking enough lessons and relying on friends to coach me. Unless your friend has training as a coach they may suck at it.

-Not looking before I leaped.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    My biggest regret is the period of my life that I prioritized alcohol over everything else, including riding. I missed out on a lot. Trying to make up for that now.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    My biggest regret is the period of my life that I prioritized alcohol over everything else, including riding. I missed out on a lot. Trying to make up for that now.
    ...more power to ya!!! I have sooo many friends on "the other side" of drinking now who are doing/feeling the same thing. I never got into it, so I feel lucky not to have had it effect my body, but it did effect my life vicariously through others

better to be addicted to bikes than alcohol...at least their is some return on the investment with bikes...
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Cymru am byth!
    Not taking more photos. Chasing clocks and fretting about race fitness. The little things in some epic locations matter more. I am trying to slow down a pea bit these days just to take it all in.
    he smelt of triflow, had a nice smile, with kind eyes... so I married him

Guided by Voices
    Buying the wrong sized bike, not once but twice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtch View Post
    Not taking more photos. Chasing clocks and fretting about race fitness. The little things in some epic locations matter more. I am trying to slow down a pea bit these days just to take it all in.
    So true! Sometimes its better to just slow down and soak in the forest

Fat guy on Fat tires

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDoo View Post
    So true! Sometimes its better to just slow down and soak in the forest

one of the biggest reasons I never got into racing. I ride for pleasure, escape, Zen, and to get lost in nature...
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post

Great perspective.
    Nice to see Mtn biking be such an avenue.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by AzFlapjack View Post
    That's funny

... but I'm laughing with you, not AT you !

I have a '91 lg that isn't a bad fit for the old style geo on an entry level bike but a tad too big for aggressive stuff.
    A '00 medium that is a tad too small (Kona)
    and finally, I was right there in between on a lg or med '17 Marin so I went medium. Seems to be okay ! ?

I'm at the age where you start shrinking, 70.75" versus 72". In a few years, I'll be back to a small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Find Mr Money Moustache.

Columbus, GA
    Not moving to Brevard yet, and also just not riding as much as I should.

This place needs an enema
    I regret that we hit the mainstream doing 100mph and totally unprepared. Our trails are being flooded by people whom don't understand what it took to get said trails, nor what it takes to keep them, nor do they care. And we don't have infrastructure to educate them.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I regret that we hit the mainstream doing 100mph and totally unprepared. Our trails are being flooded by people whom don't understand what it took to get said trails, nor what it takes to keep them, nor do they care. And we don't have infrastructure to educate them.
    that happens with a lot of activities..."mainstream dilution" I call it...I remember feeling that way about BMX by 1984/5 (from having started in the 70's) ,and seeing it go through it's first phase of mainstream hype, then back underground till the late 90's...back up again for a bit, and then back under in the 2010's...

the hyped era's always bring a wave of enthusiastic, but sometimes ignorant, people who leave a "burn trail" on the activity. Sometimes this trail forces some new innovation within the activity, and also forces a lot of "stupidity". As it dies into another "underground era", the activity heals itself as the dust settles.

Wonder if MTB is going through this as well. Probably already has followed the same sort of path that BMX has
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Besides not seriously getting into mtb sooner, it's moving to Florida and thinking I'd be fine mountain-biking wise. Now I barely ride and the trails suck; i'm halfway-thinking about selling my bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ugh, really it's not riding enough when you get down to it. Like others have said. I wish NICA had been a thing when/where I was in HS.

Right now it's due to picking the job with the better pay, better benefits, better leave , less stress, but (for me) shit local trails, over the place with much better local trails. And better weather to boot. I guess I'd still make that choice, though.

And I didn't really ride enough (or at all sometimes) in college and grad school.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Like most I wish I started younger. Started in 30's and would rather of started in mid 20's.

Dont regret any of my purchases, made some great ones actually.

I do regret not going to the doctor sooner for some back muscle issues that wouldnt go away. Caused way more problems because I thought I could fix it myself or just use muscle relaxers without stretching/physical therapy. Now that its under control im trying to get all my fitness I lost for 3 months of no exercise. Gaining my fitness back slower than I would like but making consistent progress.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup. Exactly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I plateaued for several years from around 2007-2014 and was riding but did not look at how the sport was progressing. I decided to get a new bike in 2014 and discovered that the world had changed. Wheel size, geometry, drive trains, tires, techniques had all progressed massively in that time. I feel like I lost at least 3-4years in experience riding with new skills and style. I caught up but now I am old with a blown disk in my back. Still having fun but sad that I did not get the mad skills before my body gave out. Now I am coaching my Sons mt bike team. I have a lot to give this group of 48 middle and high school mt bikers. Feel very fortunate to be able to share my passion with my community and that our community supports us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Not stopping to take more pictures of the cool things I see out there on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Spending all that free time in college at the bar instead of behind the bars. So much time wasted that I could've spent traveling and pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMac4108 View Post
    Spending all that free time in college at the bar instead of behind the bars. So much time wasted that I could've spent traveling and pedaling.
    Any time behind bars?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AzFlapjack View Post
    Too big or too small? How did you know?

No known cure
    Taking racing too seriously chasing series points instead of traveling to destination rides. I cured myself of that though. I still race, but it's festival type races to meet up with old friends. Thank you enduro racing for a boring format. If super d was still around, I'd be a lost cause.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Raleigh
    ... that I didn't seriously get into mtb'g until 4yrs ago!

I've been on two wheels all my life (between bikes and motorcycles) but bmx and motorcycles were my thing. I tried to get into mtb'g after I quit bmx but it didn't take.

Now, 30yrs later, all I want to do is mtb!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    52 years old now and been riding for 30 years. I figure as long as I am still riding I don't have to worry about any "regrets". I will figure out what I didn't get to do that I wanted to do when I am done riding. Until then who knows what the future will bring.

My other ride is your mom
    Not riding more

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    ... that I didn't seriously get into mtb'g until 4yrs ago!

I've been on two wheels all my life (between bikes and motorcycles) but bmx and motorcycles were my thing. I tried to get into mtb'g after I quit bmx but it didn't take.

Now, 30yrs later, all I want to do is mtb!
    ...I also quit BMX...which was a regret as well...now I am back into that as well as MTB...best mid life crisis ever!!!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been reading these forums for quite some time, but don't post much. I figured it's time to change that.

Unlike some of you, I started riding at 18 and racing in college at 19. I absolutely loved it. My college had a team, and some of my good friends and I would go ride after class, on the weekends before partying, or just getting out alone. Each year I got faster and faster, progressing from beginner racer, to sport the next year, then expert the following, and was pushing on joining elite (I didn't). I was getting ready to graduate and couldn't dedicate enough time and training to get into that level. I still rode, and kept racing in the expert class again, and then into my first year of my career. I was sacrificing time with my girlfriend (to be wife) to get in training rides, just to finish mid packish in expert with the hope of being "good enough" to break into elite - remember my old college buddies were all in this class now. I got slower. I kept riding and pushing, but without the training time it was just simple, I couldn't get faster. I did racing competitively for 7 years before realizing its time to just chill.

While I kept riding and absolutely enjoyed it, I regret not taking the time realize why I loved riding so much to begin with. I love getting out in nature, love getting physical exercise without feeling like it is a chore - in fact I have so much fun I forget about it, and love seeing new sites and that feeling of fun as both wheels come off the ground. There's nothing I love more than a riding and camping trip, even solo.

What I regret was placing such a correlation between a fast hot lap time and fun for mountain biking. If I wasn't pushing my PR I wasn't having fun. In fact, it turned out to be the opposite. Now with a 9 month old daughter (who is my everything), I can't wait to get her out on the tow behind trailer next weekend! I don't have much time to ride, if I am lucky I get out twice a week, and that counts one ride as a 30 minute path ride from the house. However, I still like it. Cruising the neighborhood on my old race bike, I kept it and will make it my kiddy tow bike, is actually a blast. Slowing down and seeing sites on the dirt roads such as farms and trees is a blast. Going out on the trail and seeing some wood ducks on a small pond while eating a granola bar is an awesome treat. I live in Michigan, not some mountain biking world destination, but I truely love our trails. Another regret is I wish I had more time to do trail work, but with a small kiddo, my previous trail day 1x or 2x a year has been put on pause. When she gets old enough I plan on both of us getting out there to help build some trail together where we can one day ride. That sounds like fun.

While I still am relatively young at 35, I want to be healthy enough to hopefully ride into my 70's just on some beach cruiser around the neighborhood. I love this sport, even if I am not the fast guy at the races and I wish I would have realized that sooner. Mountain biking is a way of life for me, even if I can't do it every day. Knowing its out there, and looking forward to my next trail ride is what keeps me going, even if I'm way slower on those lap times!

One more regret. My newest bike is a 2011 Epic! It works just fine other than the brain shock is going, but I haven't been able to justify spending $5K on my next bike yet...

tire to rim ratio tester
    Not getting into it sooner. I first heard about mountain bikes in the early 1990's; my younger brother was telling me that some of his friends were doing it. I didn't really get the concept, I preferred hiking instead. Most of my exercise for the last 20 years was either hiking or the treadmill at home or at the gym. Hiking is great, but you can explore a lot more with a bike in the same amount of time. Got my first 'mountain' bike, really a BSO in 2010 but didn't get addicted until 2016.
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    in 1993 I met with the forest service in seward, Alaska about starting a mountain bike guiding business on the kenai peninsula. I regret not going forward with it.

Tree Crasher
    That one time I did Strava.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradym77 View Post
    It could be anything from taking the wrong line and ending up in the hospital to just skipping a really good deal on a new ride.

Mine is selling my Pivot Mach 429 Carbon for no other reason than just wanting something new and different. My new bike is a plus tire hardtail and while the traction is amazing it reminds me every ride that I'm getting older and the reason I went full cush in the first place.
    Not having any regret (besides having bought a Turner 5-spot maybe) ... is there something wrong with me?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I regret missing that hidden trail I never found.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Excellent question OP.
    The 48 instead of 8 story.
    Have only mbt biked for a month and every time i am asked if the trail was good i say yes. There is only good trails in my mind now.
    More relaxed now than in my younger years. No computer on the bike. Watch or a mobile. I dont care about that. It doesnt matter. Its about beeing there.
    I dont care about the bike and gear even if mbt is a bit of a gear hell and maintenance walk. I will probably get two more bikes in the next month because i would like to ride no suspension and fs besides my ht. Fs because my body is not capable of all the miles i need. No suspension just for fun and feeling the trail and earth more. Biking. Right now i just want to ride everything on wheels - each day. But my thumbs and knees is wrecked. But i will get in shape.
    I will try to make more stops and enjoy nature forward on becaue its just often incredible.
    Took me like 5 mins to get hooked. Got bikes for all family now and all vacations planned until death arives. Ciy/Tour bikes incomming for all family. Pretty nice because my wifes knees couldnt do more hiking.
    Obviously as a nature and adrennaline junkie i would have wished to get into this earlier. Just really happy it happened.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Only thing I can really think of are the times where I quit out early