Anytime. Anywhere.

What's wrong with Slickrock Trail?

I notice that Slickrock is repeatedly slagged here on MTBR. I've done it a few times and always enjoy it (except for that 1 time it rained) and am always suprized that some others don't like it. If you don't like it, what is it you don't like? If you like it, what is it you like?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Surfin' da mountain

I don't like the fact that

I haven't ridden there yet...

mtbr member
    I've ridden there once and while it was a cool experience to ride up very steep angles etc, I didn't think it flowed like single track I am use to (North Carolina and Washington State). I enjoy more continously flowing trails.
    Bikes are my time machines.

mtbr member
    Slickrock is a most excellent trail. If people want what they are used to then they should just stay home and save the money. I think it might even be more fun in the rain.

user-created

Wussies

You hafta work hard to get good flow on Slickrock. People don't like to work hard.

mtbr member
    I think Slickrock is great in that it's like nothing else. A friend of mine calls it an amusement park for the bike. I do have to admit that I'm now at the point that I only ride it with first timers. It's the ride that put Moab on the map, and possibly one of the most talked about trails anywhere-.......a ride that everyone must do when in Moab. I think that it has become so popular that some riders have built up false expectations. Once you have done slickrock a few times, many fill that time is better spent on less popular trails. Moab has so much to offer!!

Also, if you want to avoid the crowds, check out Fruita.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by c_davis_jr
    I've ridden there once and while it was a cool experience to ride up very steep angles etc, I didn't think it flowed like single track I am use to (North Carolina and Washington State). I enjoy more continously flowing trails.
    Steep angles like this?

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed riding Slickrock when I was in Moab earlier this year, but I'm also used to the flow of how the singletrack goes out here in Norcal
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I notice that Slickrock is repeatedly slagged here on MTBR. I've done it a few times and always enjoy it (except for that 1 time it rained) and am always suprized that some others don't like it. If you don't like it, what is it you don't like? If you like it, what is it you like?
    I've always enjoyed Slickrock as a trail. Fun, unique, and personally I think it has a pretty good flow to it, you just have to get comfortable with taking the steep downhills at speed and carrying that speed up the climbs. I know I was a wreck the first time I rode it because I'd feather my speed all the way down the steeps then end up hiking back up the other side. Even so, I still had a good time but it's been more enjoyable since I've gotten more comfortable keeping that flow. My only real complaints with it are the large crowds and all the regulations regarding following those white dots or being fined. Even those aren't all that bad, the crowds are usually full of interesting people to socialize with (seems to be a huge % of international riders on there) and the regs are probably needed due to the # of inexperienced riders on that trail on a daily basis. Certainly not my favorite trail in the area and no longer a 'must do' for me, but still a very fun ride.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My only real complaints with it are the large crowds and all the regulations regarding following those white dots or being fined.

I've never done it during the busy seasons, only Nov - Jan. You always see somebody but not many. I've done other trails there and not met another soul.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where do you get your information? Never heard of anyone not wanting to ride slickrock.

the cool nerd
    I think it's funny that a few different people have mentioned their displeasure at following the white dots. What is the problem with that? Would you want mind if throngs of people came to your favorite trail in your neck of the woods and just rode off trail?

Dude...
    Fun, unique, and personally I think it has a pretty good flow to it, you just have to get comfortable with taking the steep downhills at speed and carrying that speed up the climbs.
    Yeah, I agree with that one. You have such amazing traction you can also take turns with frightening speed as well as the climbs. Like the first and second hills on the practice loop (counter clockwise), if their not clogged with people you can get some amazing high speed up and down action. It's pretty exciting to hit a super steep hill with enough speed to leave the ground at the top..

It's definitely a different type of riding though, I can see why some people don't like it. Compared to CT it has amazing flow. Compared to MT it's decent.. Compared to the rest of Moab, it's more of an amusement park ride than a trail..

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Would you want mind if throngs of people came to your favorite trail in your neck of the woods and just rode off trail?
    Woods?

If the trail surface was hard and resistant enough to survive 170 million years of eroision, then no, it wouldn't bother me. As long as they didn't skid.

the cool nerd
    Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone just hit the area and rode whatever and wherever they want? and is there cryptobiotic soil in the slickrock area? If so, and I don't know, it would be destroyed. Maybe not as unsightly as destruction in a non-rocky area, but just as environmentally unfriendly.

user-created
    Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone just hit the area and rode whatever and wherever they want?
    Well, everyone does and it looks pretty much the same.

Yes, there are pockets of cypto in the sand pits. Just takes a little common sense to avoid those. Slickrock or Bartlett's or the like are the few places were you actually can ride wherever to virtually no effect.

Motion activated
    Good thread. I was going to post a poll along the same lines....

Going into it had high expectations and from the trail head the terrain looks so damn cool.
    But like others have said, I found it had no flow - maybe it was the direction I rode the loop (marked easy)?

I made all the steeps, the trail wasn't busy and I didn't hold back on the descents. I just don't enjoy repeatedly climbing for 3 mins only to scream down the other side for 5 seconds to face some low speed, 90 deg turn (when you're going about 25mph) followed by another steep incline. I also think some of it boils down to the fact that there is no obvious trail, so you can't easy scan ahead like you can on a regular trail.

There was almost nothing technical. There was no air, there was no opportunity to drift through loose corners.

However, it was fun to hit the sand at full speed and try to surf in a straight line.

My idea of a nice up and down flowy trail is coming back on the start/end of Matty Winters on Colorado Front Range.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Steve71; 11-17-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone just hit the area and rode whatever and wherever they want? and is there cryptobiotic soil in the slickrock area? If so, and I don't know, it would be destroyed. Maybe not as unsightly as destruction in a non-rocky area, but just as environmentally unfriendly.
    That's how it was back when I first rode the area (late '80's). There was no toll booth, parking lot, or developed campsites. The dots were in place, but we rode and camped willy-nilly all over the area surrounding the trail itself. I'm sure there was only a fraction of the number of visitors back then though. There were warnings to avoid the cryptogams but I still saw tracks through them.

More Chasmism
    Gotta say that I love Slickrock, the plain old version with big crowds. I've never figured out why I like it so much, but I do indeed feel plenty of flow whenever I do it (always hardtail). Great little interval workout. Even better people-watching. Bring on the masses. No, I'm not being sarcastic.

That said, most people I know in town don't like riding it, except as access to other stuff. I'm an exception I guess.

hfly

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My only real complaints with it are the large crowds and all the regulations regarding following those white dots or being fined.

Wow, I never heard of the regulations on following the white dots, when did that get imposed? I've been going to Moab since 1990 and have always loved the Slickrock Trail for the uniqueness and the freedom it provides- part of that was that you could chose your line anywhere and not cause any damage as you were on solid rock. If you now have to stay on the white dots, that would change it a great deal IMO.

mtbr member
    I like the Slickrock trail but my wife doesn't - she's a diehard Porc fan though. I also think the trail "flows" well. Maybe flow has more to do with the rider than with the trail. There are some abrupt changes in direction (up vs down) but if your legs are strong, you carry your momentum, and get your weight in the right spot that doesn't hinder anything.

My wife doesn't think it flows well and doesn't always like the crowds.

We don't ride it much anymore because we usually only have a few days to visit when in Moab so we've been checking out other trails instead. Or going to Fruita.

The Uber Carnivore

Slickrock!

Is proof that God is an artist who rides!

mtbr member
    Slick Rock is amazing!! Even more so when you don't follow the line. It's one big playground.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05
    Wow, I never heard of the regulations on following the white dots, when did that get imposed? I've been going to Moab since 1990 and have always loved the Slickrock Trail for the uniqueness and the freedom it provides- part of that was that you could chose your line anywhere and not cause any damage as you were on solid rock. If you now have to stay on the white dots, that would change it a great deal IMO.
    Not sure if it really is a new regulation or if it has just been enforced more in the last few years. I don't know how often it happens but I've heard several stories of rangers out there writing tickets to those who stray too far off the designated route. From what I gathered it seemed to be more of a safety imposed restriction rather than an environmentally based one? Probably too many people not familiar with the area wandering off trail and getting lost or stuck somewhere. I know I've read about it on here but I'm not having any luck with searches right now.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Elitest thrill junkie
    Didn't ride Slickrock when I was in moab. I also didn't have any want to ride it. I brought a heavy trail bike, and I brought a DH bike. I enjoyed porcupine rim, and all the little stunts on the sides, opportunities for a little air and fun. I enjoyed some of bartletts and we also did the Rim trail, which was a lot of fun, again lots of places to jump/drop/air.

I want to get back to Moab and do some of the longer extended porcupine rides and others, but I still have no want to do slickrock. Just doesn't seem fun to me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Just roll it......

I love slickrock....

Like many others, it's not a 'must do' ride for me these days. I feel like there are so many other fun rides in Moab (with or without the crowds) that we skip it unless there are Moab newbies along with the group.

With that said, since we usually camp at Sand Flats, it's always fun to dork around on it in the evening. There is definitely flow to be had on SL if you carry speed on the steep descents.... I LOVE the steep-arse climbs. Stuff that steep is simply not climbable in the PNW.

Chers,
    EB

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    When I think about going to Moab, certain trails come to mind as "OH I want to make sure I ride that." Slickrock never does anymore. I've been to Moab 6x and I love it but I would rather ride most of the other trails on the short trips I can find time to get out there. I don't think it's bad, just not something I'm going to ride unless a first timer in our group wants to.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I think it's a trail that every visitor should do at least once, just so you know first hand if you like it or not (then again, certain folks on this site are apparently able to calculate using math and physics whether they'd like a certain suspension system or not, so maybe they can calculate whether they'd like Slickrock or not). It only takes 3-4 hours to ride, so you could bang it out and do another ride in the same day.

I've ridden it a few times, but I like the faster/bigger stuff now. I still think it's a cool trail, if for no other reason, for its uniqueness.

I like it allright but I'll reieterate what others have said about the crowds and the "been there/done" that factor.

I think if you want the "slick rock experience" - free-form exploration in traction & lines Bartlett Wash is the place to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    I haven't ridden there yet...
    yeah, I don't like that it's so far away... (2-3 days drive each way)

Rolling
    Slickrock trail is ok. But only when the sun is low and the disney folks have left! I hate the clusterf**k that trail has some days.

I think it's a good trail that is unique in the world but it's not the best trail in moab, IMO.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Great little interval workout.
    Totally. I can do the lollipop in under 90 minutes... on a 45 pound bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Didn't ride Slickrock when I was in moab. I also didn't have any want to ride it. I brought a heavy trail bike, and I brought a DH bike. I enjoyed porcupine rim, and all the little stunts on the sides, opportunities for a little air and fun. I enjoyed some of bartletts and we also did the Rim trail, which was a lot of fun, again lots of places to jump/drop/air.

I want to get back to Moab and do some of the longer extended porcupine rides and others, but I still have no want to do slickrock. Just doesn't seem fun to me.

I agree. I rode it...or part of it a couple of year s ago. It just wasn't fun for me. I'm glad others enjoy it though.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Slickrock trail is ok. But only when the sun is low and the disney folks have left! I hate the clusterf**k that trail has some days.

I think it's a good trail that is unique in the world but it's not the best trail in moab, IMO.

Agree. It's good, but there's just so much great riding in Moab, and since for most of us our time there is limited, Slickrock is just the first ride I cut if the schedule is tight.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Preemptive Revenger

Rich is just using this as another opportunity to show off his excellent photography!

Slickrock is fun but not the best in Moab.

But (here is my original input to the debate), slickrock is way better than Porcupine. Porcupine sucks! It's mostly all double track and just not that great. You peeps are *this* close to becoming shuttlers! What is it about Porcupine that everybody loves so much? It is probably my least favorite ride in Moab...
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    What is it about Porcupine that everybody loves so much? It is probably my least favorite ride in Moab...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Haha good call JL. That drop is fun but I like the last part of the trail that starts just after that drop.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    What is it about Porcupine that everybody loves so much? It is probably my least favorite ride in Moab...
    C'mon Tom, it's only a shuttle if you make it that way. Porc in its various iterations is one of the best rides in Moab. After the overlook, your eyes should be watering from the speed at all times.
    Last edited by DWF; 03-20-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    I knew I would get some good rebuttals...OK yours is a nice one! But I'm sticking to my guns...

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    C'mon Tom, it's only a shuttle if you make it that way. Porc in its various iterations is one of the best rides in Moab. After the overlook, your eyes should be watering from the speed at all times.
    Well, maybe, if I could ride like Junior...

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Totally. I can do the lollipop in under 90 minutes... on a 45 pound bike...
    That's nothing. I've seen guys do it in 25 minutes or less on 250lb bikes.

Actually I was shocked to learn that you can ride a moto on that trail. Looks like more fun than on the MTB.

Motion activated
    Nice shots. Are they on Porc?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i'm in the like it camp. i can hit it once a trip, and still ride something else earlier/later in the day. it's not like it's a monster all day deathmarch ride or anything. well, ok, for most of us here it likely isn't. if i'm not going ot be there long, or have the chance to get some other new/local guided stuff in i'll do that instead of slickroack, hands down!

part of the fun of it for me is imposing my own flow on it. sure, follow the main route white lines, but if you see something that looks cool/fun to hit, or a nice sweeping line up/down, go for it. that is part of what makes me able to hit it once a trip and not get sick of it.

finding new and different lines every trip makes it much more interesting, not boring. so long as you aren't messing with the plantlife or crypto, it's no big thing. done it on my hardtail, and on the much heavier squish. fun both ways, if a bit more work on the ups with the big bike.

i'll echo Tom on this one: for freeform playing on slickrock, bartlett wash beats slickrock trail.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Nice shots. Are they on Porc?
    More or less.

The first pic is on Kokopelli Donw/Upper Porc. Second pic is just before you get to the really, really fun part of lower Porc.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Well, maybe, if I could ride like Junior...
    Doood, I don't ride like Junior either but that's the beauty of Porc, you can make it as hard or as easy as you want and people with different skill levels can still ride together....mostly.

Flowtronic engineer
    Porcupine sucks! ..
    ROTFLMYFAO.

That rulz.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

mtbr member

Not Bad

It's not that it's bad I just think there are better trails for a week of riding in Moab. To me it's like Disney made a mountain bike trail; big crowds 'FOLLOW THE LINe" Look at the scenery (which is the best thing about the ride). I prefer Soverien, Amasa Back to Jacksons, Porcupine Portal and some others I can't remember or never learned the name of.

Your bike is incorrigible

real smart

Let the motorcycles go in first, then make the bikes follow the dots. Uh, where is the logic? Anything that was torn up in before bikes came along isn't going to be saved by the dot scheme. Damnit, you have to pay now and there are bazillions of people. There were always a lot of people, even back in the day, but now there are more. It used to be somewhat technical in the late 80s riding a fully rigid bike.

I think the main problem is that it's just so close to town that it's easy for all the tourists to rent a bike and go out there. It isn't that long, and it's a loop so you don't have to shuttle.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Same spot!
    Last edited by DWF; 03-20-2006 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Slickrock sucks!

The more we can promote the concept the less folks we'll have to share it with!

Want to vent?
    Agree ^^^

The ride was cool and had beautiful scenery ...and u have to put in work and technical skills are a must.....but u rode one steep angle ya rode them all....not too much of a challenge after ya get in the groove of the ride at slickrock....porcupine and amasa was fun....fruita was a blast.........course those are more singletrack trail oriented areas........i guess thats just my preference of trail....

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

Rolling
    Same spot!
    Same spot again.

mtbr member

It's like going east...

and riding Tsali which also seems to get picked on a bit. It's just that they are the warm up trails for the more technical stuff. Personally I love each of them, but after a couple of runs on them you are ready for Porcupine rim or in the case of the left coast guys...Pisgah NF!

Can't outride Karma

Nat
    mtbr member
    Porcupine sucks! It's mostly all double track and just not that great. You peeps are *this* close to becoming shuttlers! What is it about Porcupine that everybody loves so much? It is probably my least favorite ride in Moab...
    Wow, how jaded does one have to be to think Porc sucks? I heart that trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Porc & Slickrock Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Wow, how jaded does one have to be to think Porc sucks? I heart that trail.
    I love both those trails. My idea of an epic would be to ride up Porc Rim Trail from the river and ride down Sand Flats Road to Slickrock and do the main loop then ride back up to Porc Rim and down the trail back to my car. I guess that would be pretty hard without a place to fill up water bottles on the way though, darn it

Nat
    mtbr member
    ride up Porc Rim Trail from the river and ride down Sand Flats Road
    Up Porc then down the road? bulC, is that you?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Slickrock is cool, I do it when we have first timers on the trip, it hurts after 3-4 days of riding and your legs are spent.

Rap- get rid of your world cup SID fork and maybe Porc would be more fun Kidding aside, Porc is a lot more than doubletrack, it's a mach speed, blurry eyed, pick your own line, perma-grin ride. If your not getting this from the ride then your missing something, try laying off the brakes or rent a big bike and shuttle it. It's all about the flow baby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Up Porc then down the road? bulC, is that you?

LOL, no.
    I have ridden up Porc and back down it twice before, I'm not sure if it's possible to throw in the whole "ride down to slickrock and do the loop and ride back up to Porc Rim" thing, but perhaps with a lot of food and an early start ??

The road part would prolly suck, but .... It's possible I think

Buckle Up
    Slickrock is like a roller coaster then entire time. Up down up down up down...It's a fun trail to test your steep climbing skills on and to see how well you can ride in sand pits, but other than that it's very boring. Practice loop is plenty. And like someone else said it feels too commercialized with all of the newbies/families who just rented bikes, not to mention it can get very crowded during peak season. I like trails that feel epic. Porcupine Rim comes to mind...

But as far as non-shuttleable trails in Moab, Sovereign takes the cake. Glorious trail.
    <><

mtbr member

I enjoyed

Slickrock but thought Porc was more gooderer.

Maybe Slickrock would have been more fun is some little trials homer didn't dump his CR80 on a short up right in front of me, crack something and dump all his 2-stroke dinojuice all over the climb. Nice.

Overall, I prefer Fruita/GJ.

Actually I was shocked to learn that you can ride a moto on that trail. Looks like more fun than on the MTB.
    Professional Amateur

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Slickrock but thought Porc was more gooderer.

Maybe Slickrock would have been more fun is some little trials homer didn't dump his CR80 on a short up right in front of me, crack something and dump all his 2-stroke dinojuice all over the climb. Nice.

Overall, I prefer Fruita/GJ.
    Thats sux. Hope he cleaned up the mess....... His Instant karma was pushing his bike out.

user-created
    Same spot again.
    That one's tight. Takes more courage to roll something like that than to jump it.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    That one's tight. Takes more courage to roll something like that than to jump it.
    Not to me, I roll it and I'm a puss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

People who don't like the Slickrock trail.

If you don't like Slickrock, it's probably bacause you walk too much of it and you're out in the sun too long.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by deadgoat
    If you don't like Slickrock, it's probably bacause you walk too much of it and you're out in the sun too long.
    I refused to ride slickrock again after riding it twice. A different bike seems to have changed my attitude...

We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

taxi mechanic

this trail was for motorcycle before bicycle is what area history say. is funny place on crowd days like circus with clowns and sideshow freak peoples.

Dakotan
    Oct 2005

I agree

You hafta work hard to get good flow on Slickrock. People don't like to work hard.
    Yeah, I agree that people just don't like to work hard. Slickrock is a wonderful trail that every mountain biker should ride at least once, because it's an experience much different from a standard off road ride. And I agree that Amasa Back and Porc. Rim are way fun, but one should not insult Slickrock, becuase it's a fun of it's own kind. Ride 'em all.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    as far as non-shuttleable trails in Moab, Sovereign takes the cake. Glorious trail.
    Funny because Sovereign ranks about #48 on my list of favorite Moab trails. It's never done anything for me, and the trail corridor has been trashed.

I purposely seek to ride Slickrock on the absolute busiest days in peak season. I love it with so many people out there. Yes, I'm strange.

It's cool to see all the different opinions on this thread.

hfly

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Funny because Sovereign ranks about #48 on my list of favorite Moab trails. It's never done anything for me, and the trail corridor has been trashed.

I purposely seek to ride Slickrock on the absolute busiest days in peak season. I love it with so many people out there. hfly
    I'm with you, I did not care for sovereign much at all, it was OK, but not great. Slickrock is like a ski area: crowded and good people watching. Pick a line around the others and have fun, just like a ski run. Thank god the singletrack isn't crowded like slick rock, cuz it would get destroyed in no time. Slickrock is Uniquely able to handle big crowds without being destroyed.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!

I purposely seek to ride Slickrock on the absolute busiest days in peak season. I love it with so many people out there. Yes, I'm strange.

It's cool to see all the different opinions on this thread.

hfly
    I rode the best trail in Moab, some local guy with a ranch (house) a wife and a cat took a couple of friends and I to it - he even hung out patiently while a couple of us chucked our bodies against a super technical section of rock for half hour or so, d@mned if I can remember his name, or where it was though....

I think of Slickrock like I do riding urban in Denver - it'll do in a pinch, and it can be fun.
    Now with more vitriol!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I'm with you, I did not care for sovereign much at all, it was OK, but not great.
    Me neither. I thought it kinda' blew. I keep hearing people talk about how great it is and I start wondering if I rode the same trail. This past trip to Moab we were riding with some folks who though the sun rose & set on it and by the time they were done talking about it I was wondering if the trail I rode was even in the same state!

Dirtmistress

Yeah,it's tough!

Slickrock is hard work for sure. It's a challenge and the penalty for falling on that rock is muy pain! Like a 2nd degree burn! It has no flow. That's what makes it cool! Just another part of the experience of mtn biking and what you can accomplish on the bike! How awesome it is to make it up an ugly steep with a lip at the top and then clean it...in the middle ring! Friends gasp in awe. And it has beautiful scenery. Ya gotta make your own fun though and I can have fun just about anywhere on the bike.
    Still, I'll take the loamy trails of NorCal or Oregon anyday.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.

mtbr member

havent been there in years, but in the late 80's, early 90's went there 4-5 times (moab that is)...slick rock was always what we rode right when we got into town for a warm up, "welcome to moab" ride. the rest of the days were filled with porc rim, poisen spider mesa, etc (aka real rides)

slick rock was a novelty, a great warm up, and a ride like no other, but nothing more than a nice how-do-you-do and not a destination in and of itself......

.....man i miss moab. i'll go back one day : )

rash
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
    frenzied

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Moab is about rock, not singletrack...
    ***bites tongue**

mtbr member

KRob doing SR on a Sachs 125 CC circa 1975. I thought it was fun then and I still think it's worth it. Not my favorite trail in Moab but it's so unique it's hard to pass up. I like doing it in the evening or early am when it's deserted.

Maybe I haven't been to Moab enough to get tired of it. I'll have to go more often so I can test my theory,

Oh, and if you're taking longer than 2 hours to do it.... no wonder it has no flow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Couple things:

Sovereign : Honestly, I thought it was horrible. All the downhills were just piles of soil, impossible to actually ride down without doing the slippity-slide. Also, it is a bear of a trail to navigate if you are not with someone who knows their way around.

Slickrock : I thought it was good, but definitely not great. In all honesty, I got sick of the constant steep up then steep down pretty fast. Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun while I was riding the trail, but after I finished I realized that in the grand scheme of things I don't rank it as being all too great.

Personally, my favourite mile in Moab is the first mile of the Moab Rim trail. You know, the mile with the 21% average grade? My absolute favourite. I remember the second time I rode it I got all the way up to where I could actually see that park bench they have at the top, before I practically fell off the bike.

I need to go try it again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What I like about Slickrock is

the sensation of climbing straight up, stuff so steep there's nowhere else like it. Grind it out, don't let the front wheel come up and over and you're at the top...at least of that short steep climb. Again and again. Boring? Nah, I love it! I've ridden that trail at least 40 times. Have to admit it's not nearly as fun now as it was the first 30 times but there's always something memorable happening each time. Like the ride I did with my buddies one time when we got stuck midway through in a hailstorm. Helmets helped but the quarter-sized hailstones would still find their way through the helmet vents!

Or the ride one early morning after an all-night rainstorm. It'd stopped raining but there was actually water running all over the place. The overlook at Negro Bill Canyon (I think that's it) was a waterfall 30 feet wide!

Or the time that Sven, a 74 year old Swedish ex-cross country ski champion, blew eveyone away on his rental bike. Not because he was passing everyone but just for the fact he'd flown all the way over there just to do Slickrock. He wasn't even a bike rider but talk about a poster boy for how to stay fit when you get old!

My first ride around took me over 3 hours. I was dehydrated and my quads weren't firing at all at the end. Last time I did it in around 75 minutes. Don't think I can go faster than that. I have heard guys say they do it in 20 minutes but I've never seen anyone going that fast. The rest of Moab is great (I do Porcupine UP from the River Road, turn around and bomb back down--try it), Bartlett is always a joy, but Slickrock isn't really comparable to all the other rides in Moab or anywhere else in the world, for that matter. It's uniqueness should be experienced by mountain bikers from everywhere. Go ahead and not like it if that's the truth for you but I'd never talk anyone out of doing it at least once.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    ...A small handful of singletracks does not make a destination for a singletrack snob...
    You're completely right, there is hardly any singletrack in Moab. I'll just keep on going to Moab and riding my "small handful." I hope someday, I am able to ride it all, just like I have in Fruita.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Its Not Fun (in the funnest possible way)

Chuky and I did Slickrock and Porcupine Rim as one ride in 95 or so... (sorry, lengthy diversion here)

We started very early (6ish) and rode the Slickrock trail. We refilled with water at about 8am on the dirt road out to Porcupine by asking some campers who had a 20 gallon water cooler in their truck. I think we hit Porcupine by 9 or so? We were not yet too tired and figured that it would all be easily doable since the second half of Porcupine is mostly down. And we were almost right.

About 1/3 of the way back from the rim, my rear derailleur fell apart and I had to use a water bottle cage bolt in place of a jockey pulley. It worked pretty well for coasting, but approximately 300-500 yards of pedalling would tighen the bolt and squeeze the chain between the jockey cage plates. I stopped about 20 times to back the bolt out.

FINALLY made it down to the highway and the river. Decided a singlespeed would be fine for getting back and took links out of my chain. My chain tool broke while trying to reassemble the chain, leaving me with a very expensive chainless push scooter.

Chuky continued the ride back while I pushed my bike up hills and coasted down. I eventually thumbed a ride into town and enjoyed a 7-11 Big Gulp while Chuky got towed up to Slickrock again by some compassionate Jeep Guys.

Total distance? I don't know. I think it has to be at least 45 or 50 miles. We swore never to do it again, but it's been a while since we were in Moab, so I have forgotten the sorrows and will probably give it a go.

JMH

LOL, no.
    I'm not sure if it's possible to throw in the whole "ride down to slickrock and do the loop and ride back up to Porc Rim" thing, but perhaps with a lot of food and an early start ??

The road part would prolly suck, but .... It's possible I think

life is a barrel o'fun
    We were there in 2004 as first-timers and just loved it. Not b/c it was "epic" in a technical sense, but so unique and seemingly designed by God for bikes (if I believed in intelligent design, that is )

Sovereign was preferable for its challenge and variety. I loved the step-by-step rocks, even climbing them on the way back up was sweet.

Someday I'll be back to explore more of the lesser-known trails. For now, I'd say Fruita has the nicer singletrack.

Keep in mind, this is the point of view of an East Coast resident, who's easily mesmerized by the vast open spaces, scenery, and a bit thrown off by the exposure (yikes.)
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    ... the vast open spaces, scenery, and a bit thrown off by the exposure (yikes.)
    I think this explains why we ride out here, singletrack or not, slickrock or sandpit! It's the wide open expanse of unique riding.

Old man on a bike
    If one had to shorten their trip or cut a ride out due to weather then this would be a ride I'd cross off early on. It's not as if this is the only ride with slickrock involved, after all. In and of itself it's too short for a whole day's ride, though. The people watching can be good, both ways (as spectator and spectatee), there's good sights to see, you can even find flow, too. There's time to do other stuff afterwards; the last time I did ST I rode up from town did both short and long loops and then continued on to do Porc to make it a good day of riding without automotive assistance. Just another part of the Moab experience...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Chuky and I did Slickrock and Porcupine Rim as one ride in 95 or so...
    We swore never to do it again, but it's been a while since we were in Moab, so I have forgotten the sorrows and will probably give it a go.

JMH
    Bummer about the derailer, that could ruin any ride.

Linoleum Knife
    Gotta say that I love Slickrock, the plain old version with big crowds. I've never figured out why I like it so much, but I do indeed feel plenty of flow whenever I do it (always hardtail). Great little interval workout. Even better people-watching. Bring on the masses. No, I'm not being sarcastic.

That said, most people I know in town don't like riding it, except as access to other stuff. I'm an exception I guess.

hfly
    I have to agree here - Slickrock brings out the exhibitionist in me. I can clean every inch of the marked trail, and I ain't skeered to ride it without stopping. Even though it gets super-crowded, I rarely have to stop to wait.

You get a crowd standing around gawking, you just go around them. You get a line of pushers going up something, you just go around them...

And what Singletrack said about flow is true too - I rode it a month ago, and it was like hitting a big skate park. I had some of the best flow I've ever had out there - people were actually cheering me on in a few spots (which was a little weird)...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the people who don't like it can't clean the climbs.

So, uh, Hfly - Access to other stuff? You gonna let me ride with you in the spring?

Hisforever
    Does anyone have a quality pic of the sheer drop section of Porc rim????

. 'The section of death if you fall over'.
    Jesus Saves

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the people who don't like it can't clean the climbs.
    Guess again.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    Does anyone have a quality pic of the sheer drop section of Porc rim????

. 'The section of death if you fall over'.
    You are talking about portal trail aren't you? There is no section of death on Porc Rim.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=144707

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    Does anyone have a quality pic of the sheer drop section of Porc rim???? . 'The section of death if you fall over'.
    Rob,

You're talking about Portal trail. No death defying stretches on Porc Rim.

There was recently a cool pic of Wade Simmons ripping the Portal trail in Bike Mag (photo shot by Sterling Lorence). I'm assuming that there will be some Moab stretches in the new Collective film "Roam" as they were down there filming a while ago. Should be fun/enlightening to see how those guys ride trails most folks know and love.

EB

P.S. We hit Fromme on Sunday. Air Supply.....mmm mmm good!

Who's that guy?
    You are talking about portal trail aren't you? There is no section of death on Porc Rim.
    Oh I dunno....the section along the river has some pretty good edges. Nothing like Portal but still a bit of a 'pucker factor' for those of us that don't like heights.

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Oh I dunno....the section along the river has some pretty good edges. Nothing like Portal but still a bit of a 'pucker factor' for those of us that don't like heights.
    This is the most "exposed looking" place I know on Porc rim and I think you really have to screw up to go off it.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    There's some on UP. Any shots of that?

Who's that guy?
    This is the most "exposed looking" place I know on Porc rim and I think you really have to screw up to go off it.
    Ha! Yup, that's the place.

I know it's nothing like Portal but I find myself riding a lot more to the left side of the trail when doing that section. Whats weird is that I have only had a fear of heights for the last few years and now that section makes me nervous and it never used to.

I have done Portal as well and enjoyed it but there is no freakin way I would ride it now. Growing old sucks.

Hisforever
    P.S. We hit Fromme on Sunday. Air Supply.....mmm mmm good! [/QUOTE]

Thats great EB, air supply is soo good -n- fun..

I miss all the PNW trails so badly. not much here but sabotage to the left & sabotage to the right. really stunts the stoke to keep building!

we somehow manage to keep the vibes alive.

peace
    Jesus Saves

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    I know it's nothing like Portal but I find myself riding a lot more to the left side of the trail when doing that section. Whats weird is that I have only had a fear of heights for the last few years and now that section makes me nervous and it never used to.

Growing old sucks.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Rolling
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Interesting.

I don't really have a fear of heights...until someone else is near the ledge!

Some psychologist might tell that me tendency to not trust someone...I don't know?!

Custom User Title

slickrock rocks!!

snickered when I read this comment since only the second time I rode slickrock it was in... North Carolina

granted, the slickrock riding in NC was very limited to the Dupont area, compaired to the slickrock wonderland that is Southern Utah. Gooseberry slickrock was awesome!

post-ride specialist

Heh heh, I can well remember a time following hot on the wheel of another well known poster through that exact spot... suddenly things got all goofy and kerfuffled, panic ensued and by the time the dust had settled he was still rubber side down but had pulled a 180 and was looking back at me. Ghost white.

mtbr member

I've never done it during the busy seasons, only Nov - Jan. You always see somebody but not many. I've done other trails there and not met another soul.
    What is the busy season at Moab? Planning a trip...

Thanks!

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek
    Heh heh, I can well remember a time following hot on the wheel of another well known poster through that exact spot... suddenly things got all goofy and kerfuffled, panic ensued and by the time the dust had settled he was still rubber side down but had pulled a 180 and was looking back at me. Ghost white.
    That may be the first ever use of the word 'kerfuffled" on this site! Congrats!

Anyway, here is another view of that same section with a bit of a different perspective.

Members who have read this thread: 0