mtbr member

What made you buy your second bike?

Iíve had my bike for 7 months now. I love it and ride the heck out of it. But every time I go into an LBS, I see my next bike. I just donít know how to justify it. I think, maybe my older bike could go with me on trips and other risky endeavors where if I lost it, it wouldnít be the end of the world. What I donít want to happen is that the old bike becomes a basement queen, never to see daylight again. How do you multiple bike guys/girls justify the next bike? Not to mention I have to get it passed my spouse as well, hmmm.

mtbr member
    Polycyclery is nothing to be ashamed of. As long as both bikes are treated ethically and honestly, everything should be fine.

mtbr member
    oh and what made me buy my latest bike was nothing other than pure, unadulterated lust.

turtles make me hot
    I knew I shouldnt only have one bike. I finally broke my frame and didn't have a bike for two weeks. That made me get off my ass and buy a hardtail frame. Then, I saw my brother getting ready to sell his old perfect condition road bike for 100 dollars, so I scooped that up. Now, I just went almost two months without a ride because of snow, so I'm going to get a fatbike.
    It just kinda happens.
    I like turtles

mtbr dismember

I wanted it

I wanted it and you need to have a backup bike for when your main one is in the shop anyway.

Des(s)ert Rat
    The lilting lines of the frame and the ride....

I own lots of bikes, lots... Double digits... I couldn't imagine owning just one.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    After many many years of riding hardtails, I wanted a full suspension rig. Now, I ride my HT mostly on the road.

Ryan

Des(s)ert Rat
    Singlespeed your hardtail and buy a roadbike.

See, I just think multiples.

(Actually, what I really need right now is a geared hardtail, I have the FS and SS...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy
    Iíve had my bike for 7 months now. I love it and ride the heck out of it. But every time I go into an LBS, I see my next bike. I just donít know how to justify it. I think, maybe my older bike could go with me on trips and other risky endeavors where if I lost it, it wouldnít be the end of the world. What I donít want to happen is that the old bike becomes a basement queen, never to see daylight again. How do you multiple bike guys/girls justify the next bike? Not to mention I have to get it passed my spouse as well, hmmm.
    I wanted a more heavy-duty bike that doesn't sound like it's falling apart when i'm riding down flights of stairs or steep descents
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What made you buy your second bike?-img_1700-resized.jpg  

What made you buy your second bike?-img_1705-resized.jpg  

What made you buy your second bike?-img_1704-resized.jpg  

All fat, all the time.
    Different bikes for riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    After many many years of riding hardtails, I wanted a full suspension rig. Now, I ride my HT mostly on the road.

Ryan
    I know this is bordering on "Beginners Forum" but I wanted the passionate responses. Follow up question; having never ridden a FS, does it make a world of difference on the trails?

thecentralscrutinizer
    I don't remember what the reason was....I just built my 4th bike because I wanted to ride something with drop bars. LOL
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

At Work
    Sold a road bike to pick up a 29er. Had a Titus FTM at the time. 2 different kind of bikes. I also had a old Kona Ku HT, just got through putting it back together.

All 3 are just different. The HT is quick and nimble and light, the 29er is a S.S. The FTM is pure butter.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member

same for me...

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    The lilting lines of the frame and the ride....

I own lots of bikes, lots... Double digits... I couldn't imagine owning just one.

Gotta have have as many as possible.... My kids are the same way... Last count I think there was 29bikes between the 5 of us in the house.....

Oh and the wife only has 1

mtbr member
    I had a hard tail and wanted a full suspention so I had bikes for different kinds of trails.

I wanted to make sure I always had at least one bike to ride even if the other needs work or something breaks.

psycho cyclo addict
    Bought a new hard tail 29er then found a used one that had better components and cost 1/3 as much. Sold the "new" one, then found a used dual suspension bike for a great price so I now have both HT and DS. I tend to ride the DS a bit more often but that will probably change since I put a new set of (used) Stans rims w/ CK hubs on there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know this is bordering on "Beginners Forum" but I wanted the passionate responses. Follow up question; having never ridden a FS, does it make a world of difference on the trails?
    yes. you can make a full suspension bike ride like a cadillac, like a hardtail, or anywhere on the spectrum between the two. some bikes are dedicated more towards one specific end of the spectrum though.

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    Different bikes for riding conditions.
    +1 Trail or training ride dictates which bike I ride.

Depends on the trail and your riding style/ fitness level. FS and hartail are different riding styles. I have each and I probably put 250 miles a year on my fs/ verses 1,5k+ on my hardtails and 2,5k miles on my road bike. In the end you gotta just ride what you like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annamagpie
    Polycyclery is nothing to be ashamed of. As long as both bikes are treated ethically and honestly, everything should be fine.
    It's harder than it looks. The number of bikes you own is inversely proportionate to the number of functioning bikes you own.

Des(s)ert Rat
    This reminds me of a quote by Ann Strong:

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."

As the quote also works for polycyclery.

mtbr member
    Just for their use..
    I have a road bike, because it's the only thing worth riding for commuting to work, or just out for a road ride when trails are muddy or whatever. (this gets used the least)
    Also have my Cannondale Rize, which is currently my do-it-all bike.
    I am looking at getting a Spesh SXT1 this year for a "mini DH" bike for riding downhill and gnarlier trails. Would ideally have a different bike for each different type of riding.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Trance XO and a 29er hardtail for something completely different.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    A road bike was my second bike. I bought it because I wanted to ride more.

I bought my second mountain bike because .. I wanted it. Actually it started out as a fun project to try out single speeding and I was gonna do a cheapy build up and then it turned in to a $2000 bike project. Of course I ended up with a bike I'm absolutely in love with and ride over my other mtb.

I bought my fourth bike because I needed a bike to tow a Burley trailer with, and I wanted something that could also take racks and use as a commuter.
    :wq

It's about showing up.

I started to feel my age

I came off of the sea otter course back in 2005 and, while I love my Bontrager Race Lite and did pretty well, I felt beat up. Also that fourth ride in the week got pretty uncomfortable. So I thought it was time to buy an FS.

Then there is the road bike. I had a Medici Pro Strada, a beautiful steel classic vintage 1984. I borrowed the shop owner's Roubaix and wrote it every day for a week. The advantage to carbon fiber was clear and I bought the same bike.

mtbr member
    I can't really see the point of buying two really similar bikes. I first had my Trek Fuel EX 8, next purchase was a road bike because I was getting sick of having to pack up and drive to the trails on a work day when I only have a few hours. This way I can ride right from my front door. After that, I decided I wanted to try a SS and a 29er, so being the impulsive person I am, I went out and bought a GF Marlin SS.

mtbr member
    I had an 07 Kona The King that had seen some pretty rough riding in New England and wanted something with a little more travel. So I was settled on a Mojo SL and was int he process of saving figuring I would keep the king as a back up.

Well in October the Kona frame broke... hallelujah here comes the mojo!!

But wait my Kona gets warrantied 3 months later and here comes a a new hei hei frame. Well like one of the other posters mentioned no need for two similar bikes. Off goes the new Kona to the classifieds and in comes a Salsa Ala Carte.

The Mojo is my everday trail rig.
    The Salsa is for ice, snow, mud and road training rides. Or whenever I feel like switching things up.

mtbr member
    I try to get all my friends into riding. Having multiple bikes for a given type of riding is handy for that. I'm also into EVERY kind of bike.

mtbr member
    It never ends. everytime I buy a new bike, I almost immediately start dreaming about my next ride. right now I am in the process of chosing my next mt. bike, trying to figure out how to pay for it and at the same time dreaming about what update I want to make...

meow meow
    im a sucker for a good deal.

CEO Product Failure
    1. "Back up" bike argument. One breaks you've got a spare. After a few years riding and upgrades, this is fairly economical once you get the frame/fork.
    2. Different horses, different courses or the "many arrows in the quiver". A DH bike, trail bike, xc bike, 29'r, SS. etc.
    3. Rain bike. Very common with roadies.
    4. Race bike. Face it, a 20lb 2.3oz carbon, Specialized Epic isn't going to take a season's worth of daily trail rides. Its just too light and we crash too often.
    5. It matches my socks. Yeah, I've used that one. Even brought the bike home on HER birthday. Her: "Why'd you buy it?" Me: "It matched my socks". Note-does anyone know how hard it is to find Celeste colored socks?
    6. I'll lose weight and get in better shape, you don't want me to die? The old argument which as sold so, so many home treadmills and elipticals--this also works on bicycles.
    7. They match (sorta). Buy one for her, bought one for me. No explanation required. Make sure her's appears to have a slightly better spec' and is lighter. "Hey, I got you the BETTER bike".
    8. New technology. I've been riding since there were 6 spd mtbs, then 7 spds, then XT! then RAPID FIRE and SPDs and then 9 speeds, and disc brakes, and horst links, and VPP, and linkage, and....mag 10's, mag 20's, mag 21's...
    9. Too good to pass up. $250 Kona Dawg 22" frame, $ 200 Kona Kula Supreme 21" fame, $600 Kona Bear w XTR, King HS & Wheels, $ 850 SC Blur LT Frame. With the exception of the Kula frame, all the other frames where NEW. The Kula had 9 mo of rides on it. All purchased from ppl I personally know.
    10. Its cheaper than...a divorce (SLAP), a Corvette--my bikes are pretty $$, so that's as far as that line goes.
    11. Impulse buy. This explanation has only worked with jersey and beer glasses. You might laugh at this but you've never had to explain $100+ in beer glasses to your wife before.

MTB skillz = NADA
    The reason I bought a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th bike is that I wanted my wife and kids to ride with me.

Oh you mean why did I buy my 2nd personal bike....I only own 1 bike for me.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My first bike weighed 36 lbs.
    Second bike (way more expensive) was 24 lbs.
    Fourth bike got eaten by a car twice with me on it.
    I now have two bikes that weigh 24 lbs.

mtbr member
    I started with a Gary Fisher Tassajara HT with a Thudbuster seat post which made sitting while riding pretty smooth. I'm 45 and that's old enough to appreciate a smoother ride so I lusted after a FS ride and bought a Fezzari Nebo Peak AM rig. For XC riding the Nebo isn't much different except it heavier and a little smoother. When I throw in even small jumps and drops then the Nebo is a LOT more fun and easier to control. Having the Fox Talas adjustable height front fork makes a big difference to because I can optimize the geometry for climbing or downhill which I use several times every ride.

I busted some spokes on the Nebo and borrowed a friends HT for a ride and noticed a big difference. The HT required noticeably less energy when climbing hills so I see why they use HT's for XC races. But I was VERY happy to get my plush ride back. I'll sacrifice a little speed and endurance for more cush and control any day.

I should also note that I weigh around 215 lbs and I believe a FS bike might be more benefit to a big guy than to someone who is very lightweight. There are lots of reasons that we see a mix of FS and HT bikes on the trail. A younger guy might prefer a different ride than a middle aged guy... and so forth. Its a very personal choice. FS is for me though.

Also, I bought a road bike last year to ride on a trainer over the winter to stay in biking shape and now I'll probably start going on regular group road bike rides.
    Last edited by tshulthise; 02-24-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    It was getting into multiple types of mountain bike riding. One for XC; one for DH & Freeriding; the other for urban assault. Now, I don't see myself doing much DH & Freeriding anymore, so I'll be getting just an "All Mountain" bike and call it good... for now ;-)
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    I own four bikes right now for four different purposes. I simply can't afford, or have storage space for, more than one bike for riding the same conditions. If I choose to "upgrade" to a different model, I'll likely need to sell the one it will replace. As far as not letting the spouse notice, I just acquire the parts over time and build them myself.
    I'm here for the OT

canuck
    1. DH
    2. FR
    3. AM/ht
    4. AM/fs
    5. rigid SS
    6. rigid SS fixed
    7. mtb drop bar commuter
    8. fixed tranning road bike
    9. road bike

use the right tool for the job and they will last much longer and work way better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Had an old Bianchi Peregrine short-travel HT for more than 10 years. Got tired of the old RS Judy fork and v-brakes.

Really, really wanted a long-travel FS and ended up with a 6.5" GT Sanction 1 for the rough stuff. Love it.

Then took the old Bianchi and overhauled it into a SS which is fun to ride.

Now I want to add a 29er like a Giant Anthem and a fatbike like a Pug. Unfortunately, that'd be like another $4,000 combined and that isn't happening with a roof to replace and my first kid on the way.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I got a geared hardtail a few years back. Really started feeling the itch for singlespeed after reading about it, so I bought a geared road bike to have something to ride on the pavement and something to ride everywhere else. And then I converted the hardtail to singlespeed. And now I'm selling the hardtail (or at least thinking about it) and converting my dad's old Stumpy to singlespeed for my use.

Damn you, MTBR. Gave me the itch for singlespeed. Then you gave me the itch for beater bike singlespeed. I don't have all this money for all the bikes I want!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Muskoka

Seasons change, so...

gotta have a Pugs for snow

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Commuter bike, local trails bike, cottage bike, and spare bike. That's the official word anyway, off the record it was more like "I work for a bike shop, I should have more bikes". Yeah, I kinda went on a shopping spree back then.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    I love bikes. Simple as that.

When I used to work at a bike shop (1989 to 2002) it tended to buy new parts all the time and just swap them around. I owned less bikes at a time then than I do now.

If I was riding on a Sunday that week somewhere with a lot of climbing, not too rocky, I'd throw my crazy light titanium spoked wheels on my FS bike. If it was a rocky, technical place, I put my beefier wheels on with fatter tires.

Now I've got a ti hardtail, fs bike xc bike, fs long travel bike (6" both ends), and a steel all rigid set up with drops as a monster cross bike which I can easily throw slicks on for road rides. All but the long travel fs bike are 29'ers. I tend to hold onto parts a lot longer now as I don't get them for the deep discount I used to.

If I had more time and disposable income than I do, I'd have a beach cruiser, fat bike (which I may get after the way this winter was), cargo bike and city-type bike just for ha hahs.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    2. Different horses, different courses or the "many arrows in the quiver". A DH bike, trail bike, xc bike, 29'r, SS. etc.
    This was my reason. I have the DJ and BMX currently... and I always think I wish I had a bike for _____ .

Can't decide if I want a fully for offroad use and make the DJ the urban bike or get a SS DJ for urban use and make the DJ the offroader.

I catch myself wanting a flatbar SS roadie for rail trails too...
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My first bike was a cheap decent hardtail. I road it for a while and eventually decided that I wanted a fs bike. Then I wanted a single speed. Then I wanted a road bike. So yeah, they sort of stack up a bit. It doesn't seem that weird until I try to explain to a "normal" person that they're all for different kinds of riding. Also, my brother is my roomate and my riding buddy. There's (at least) two of *everything* in the house, which makes the situation look even more insane to the uninitiated. Hurray for enabling your built in enabler!

Biking Like Crazy!
    I'm just plain addicted to them...they're a drug to me!

Uppers (light weight climber) and downers (full on down hill rig) and everything in between (5.5 in AM rig)
    I need help...or a bigger bike rack!

Also gives me a good excuse to drink beer while working on them!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    The ol' FS was showing its age after 9 years of beating on it, so I got a rigid 29er SS so I could have something that wouldn't fall apart after every ride, requiring constant tuning. Loved the 29er feel and decided I needed a FS 29er too, so I found one and bought it up. The HT I got was for commuting purposes and has been in that role for about 5 years. I think I'm good for now...well, other than finding a pump track bike.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Vermonter to the Core
    I bought my first one thinking that I would ride around with my son for fun... then it got stolen out of my car.......... I did not think I would become an addict for biking so I bought a cheaper HT GF to ride the trails with.. then I started to race and got slammed around on the coures i was training on and decided it was time for a FS.. then my fitness was not at the level I want it to be so I have a new roadie on order for spring.. so im up to three... Now im wanting an SS 29er which I will get before the summer is over!
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

The White Jeff W
    That's like asking me why I kept having sex after the first time.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Buying multiple bikes is a good way to test the limits of a marriage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    haha glad im not married then....

ballbuster

Only two?

I’ve had my bike for 7 months now. I love it and ride the heck out of it. But every time I go into an LBS, I see my next bike. I just don’t know how to justify it. I think, maybe my older bike could go with me on trips and other risky endeavors where if I lost it, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. What I don’t want to happen is that the old bike becomes a basement queen, never to see daylight again. How do you multiple bike guys/girls justify the next bike? Not to mention I have to get it passed my spouse as well, hmmm.
    I'm up back down to 5. I had 7 at one point... and yes, I have a spouse and 2 kids

I have a variety. Each for a different job.

I have a 29er full suspension geared bike that serves as my all-day-long epic ride bike, or for places that would pound my body to a pulp, like Demo forrest.

I have a hardtail 29er I just built, with the intension of racing. I just have it sorta 'tacked together' with some beater parts, but I'm hoping to lighten it up and go blingier.

I spend most of my miles on a steel singlespeed 29er hardtial... a Singular Swift. I love this bike, but it's not very light. Rids like buttah, tho.

I have a PlanetX Kaffenback that serves as my road bike/touring bike. I can also race cyclocross on it, but it hasn't happened yet. I've taken it trail riding, but it pounds my wrists into dust. I think I need some sew-up tires for it, change the cockpit position a bit, maybe a carbon fork, and it will be more tolerable.

I still have my first modern mountain bike. A 2000 Giant Yukon that is built up rigid with slick tires, racks and panniers for city bike use. I haul kids to the playground with it, and use it for grocery (beer) runs. It's ugly enough not to attract the attention of the local scumbags.

I'm not done. I would still like a Fatbike... like a Pugsley. Those things are a blast to ride. They just balloon roll over everything. It's just silly. First time I rode one, I had a stupid shiz eating grin on my face the whole time.

Point is, if you're going to go polygamous with your bikes, I suggest getting bikes that do different things. Can't have too many tools in the toolbox, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    Buying multiple bikes is a good way to test the limits of a marriage.

Nah. You just need a wife that understands you.... and digs the firm booty cycling gives you. ... and of course, have space for all of those bikes. It probably wouldn't fly if we lived in a 2 br apartment with two kids. I would probably have to keep the bikes at work if that were the case.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    "Not to mention I have to get it passed my spouse as well, hmmm."
    You asked for the passion. You have to get your wife to have that passion.

My wife is the one who drives the bikes buying. We just pu new HT 29ers this week. We get the same bikes. She rides 20 hours a week.

Our house it is N+2

mtbr member
    Everyone should have 2 bikes at least. Bikes break, friends need to borrow one, etc.

With that said, I have four I call my own (street trials/jumping, FR, commuter, XC 29er), two completes for sale, and a pile of old parts donors.

mtbr member

Hmmm... 29ers?

Curiosity. I've had dual suspension trail bikes for years. I wanted to try one of those crazy 29er things

Retro on Steroids
    I didn't BUY my second bike. In 1974 I scrounged it out of old stuff so I could have a town bike in addition to my Colnago.

Now I have three FS bikes out of the seven I own, because that's how many you need to keep one running at any given time.

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    My wife has come to terms with my addiction......so maybe i need to buy another one!! Don't have a 29er yet, and that Scott Scale hardtail is calling my name

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a Tomac Eli which I loved and thought I would ride indefinitely. Little did I know that the frame was made of paper mache. When it snapped completely in half soon after Tomac filed bankruptcy, I was not very happy. I did buy a 2nd hand Mongoose Teocali which is heavier but plush. I bought the Performance XCL for cheap and made a hardtail which I use for a winter bike or to loan out. In the end it worked out OK, but Tomac eats S@@T forever.

mtbr member
    I purchased a second bike because I wanted a second bike. And there will be a third. I'm a complete noob, not even a year into the sport. 1st bike is a RM Vapor with some of the components upgraded. I'll be using it mostly for commute. The 2nd, a used but decent built Access XCL 9r(Thanks to Andrewto) great bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    gotta have a Pugs for snow

Those are so cool, I wish I lived in snow and/or deep sand!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I broke the first one, and the second, third...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I commute by bike, so I am entitled to at least one commuter and another one for MTB. The commuter saves me enough money for purchasing a mountain bike every now and then.......or at least, it is what my wife is supposed to think.
    Last edited by xenon; 02-26-2011 at 12:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Because without a second bike there can be no third, 4th, 5th, etc.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

I knew I shouldnt only have one bike

I knew I shouldnt only have one bike. I finally broke my frame and didn't have a bike for two weeks. That made me get off my ass and buy a hardtail frame. Then, I saw my brother getting ready to sell his old perfect condition road bike for 100 dollars, so I scooped that up. Now, I just went almost two months without a ride because of snow, so I'm going to get a fatbike.
    It just kinda happens.
    ------------
    dich cong chung | cong ty dich thuat

mtbr member
    It does make a huge difference and thats what made me get a second bike. I started with a nice mid range Focus Blackforest HT it was ok but not good for DH or even hard trail riding. The bike was very fast but coming from a dirt bike and atv background I could feel the limitations. What I did was purchase a new frame and fork swapped the parts over sold the old frame and fork for the same price as the new frame. Man oh man it was so much better I was so much faster in the forest and on DH sections and to be honest it climbed just as good and better on my back. The blackforest was a great bike don't get me wrong very fast on flat but as soon as it got rough not so good. The geometry of the blackforest was very stretched out as well so it was not as nice to ride all day. In my opinion with the new suspension technology the fully bikes are much better than the HT bikes in every way except for maby on the road. If you get a good xc fs bike like the Giant Anthem (for example) with pro pedal better than any HT bike. And if you are doing more than xc well you almost need a FS bike (almost) Sure you can get a great free ride HT but in my opinion it will never peform as good as a FS bike unless you are using it for DJ. Hope my 2 cents worth helped

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...xpert-09-33475

Downhiller
    i owned a hard tail trail bike and was into dh so i needed a rig that could handle what i wanted to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's all about the quiver.

DH work bike
    DH play bike
    Freeride bike
    DJ/pump track bike
    HT AM bike
    XC bike
    Road bike
    and then the wife has all those as well, except the work bike.

Unfortunately I also have many of the remains of years gone by laying around and I'd still like to try a 29er and a Fat bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Had one bike until I joined a mtb forum which shall go unnamed..ahem..

now have 9 bikes.

If not for the internet (forums, group talk, local meets, youtube and vimeo vids, etc) who believes they would never have the stable of bikes they do now? I'm thinking I would have two..maybe three..

Yes, that's fonetic
    multiple cycling needs = more than one bike
    fr bike, dh bike, trail bike, pull the kid bike hardtail, road bike

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great responses or I should say damn all the advice, it just cost me $, LOL. After a weekend ride on a friendís FS, I pulled the trigger with my LBS and ordered a Rumblefish. I figured how much different could I get from my 26Ē HT than to go 29Ē FS? Iím looking forward to tackling the trails with a renewed spirit. I feel like I should check myself into the Betty Ford Bike Clinic or somethingÖ.

Downhiller
    Thanks for all the great responses or I should say damn all the advice, it just cost me $, LOL. After a weekend ride on a friendís FS, I pulled the trigger with my LBS and ordered a Rumblefish. I figured how much different could I get from my 26Ē HT than to go 29Ē FS? Iím looking forward to tackling the trails with a renewed spirit. I feel like I should check myself into the Betty Ford Bike Clinic or somethingÖ.
    well congrats on the new bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cool new bike Sarguy!
    What made me get another bike? Ray's.

http://www.raysmtb.com/cle/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    Because without a second bike there can be no third, 4th, 5th, etc.
    LOL
    Never has a truer word been spoken

I told myself initially it was so i had a bike to cover all eventualities ,

then i realised i'm a liar and i just love bikes!

mtbr member
    We're stimulating the economy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bought my HT last fall just getting into mountain biking. Thought I would start out cheap($600 bike which became a $1000 bike in a matter of 3 or 4 weeks)then after drooling over FS bikes all winter, started hunting on craigslist and found an Epic and a price I couldnt pass up, so of course I had to buy it! And why not? I got a great deal! and if I need to I can always re-sell it for at least what I paid for it.. That was my thinking and justification anyway..
    Life is good

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had been thinking about getting a new road bike for commuting. It's ~50 miles round trip. I had been doing it on my mtb a couple of times a week as the days grew shorter but the mtb was just too SLoooooowwwwwww.

I was out to breakfast with my wife who obviously knew I was thinking about this. I mentioned I wanted to take a look in a bike shop just up the road. Her response?

"don't spend more than $4000" I'm the frugal one so never came anywhere close to that but MAN.....how can you pass up an offer like that!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I'm just trying to solve the equation - N + 1

Where N is the current amount of bikes.

It's simple math, really.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I started with a 26er, got a 29er about a year later...the 26er pretty much got parked and I used the 29er for everything (commuting, trail, etc) going on about 2 years.

Longed for a dedicated commuter and ordered it on Valentine's day at my LBS. Love the bike and already have some good rides in (full fenders rock) but still feel the need for another bike.

And then the other day a moderately price, yet decent build Voodoo Canzo pops up....no!!!

I think I have an addiction.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

JD1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Because it was different from the first and was going to be different from the third.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got into cycling in September of last year. Did a XC race in October realized that if you want to be competitive you need to ride road as well, so i bought a rode bike. just recently i began contemplating getting a 29er SS cause I have chicken legs and they seem like a really good idea. So i am probably going to order a Fisher/Trek Marlin SS this week from the LBS. That will bring my total to 3. Im gonna keep my trek 3700 cause I already upgraded it some and use it for flat races and lend it out to my brother and friends that want to ride.
    "Shut up legs!"- Jens Voigt

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I need one for myself and any recruits who want to try out the sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    We're stimulating the economy!
    buying a bike should be a tax write off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    buying a bike should be a tax write off.
    Shhh! Don't talk about that! It'll go the other way. I can see it on the 1040 right under: How many dependents do you have? How many bikes do you own?

Now broadcasting from CO
    Bought a 29er SS because I was selling my 26er FS. Then I had to buy a race bike for next season... geared 29er HT. Then I wanted to race 'cross so I bought a 'cross bike. Then I sold my first 29er HT. Then I sold my road bike because I thought "why have both a road bike and a 'cross bike?" Then I bought another 29er HT. Now I've sold that and have a 29er FS, 'cross bike, and SS. Now I want a road bike again...

I've made it my goal to keep my Epic for at least 2 years, which shouldn't be that hard because I'm going back to school next year and I'll have no money. The next bike I'll buy will either be a nice road bike that I'll keep for a while, or two more 'cross bikes, which will be dedicated racers. I just want a balanced stable, and I love bikes. Something like this:

FS 29er race bike
    HT 29er race bike
    SS 29er fun bike
    Road bike for training
    2 'cross bikes for 'cross racing.

I think I would be happy with that...
    Brought to you by rocks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The easiest way to solve this problem? Spend that time you now spend in the LBS riding instead of lusting after shiny new bits.

It's all about the RIDE, man... not the bike.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Well, at any one time in the last 5 or 6 years I've owned as few as 1 bike and as many as 7. Usually I'll buy a new bike to get into a new "sub-genre" of cycling; Mountain biking is my main sport, but I also ride as my only form of transportation, I also ride a 24" BMX for street, dirt, and skateparks. I also can not resist a good deal on bikes and parts so garage sales and swap meets contribute to my vintage bike fleet.... I'm just addicted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have a FS 1x9 26er bike. Wanted a SS specific bike.. so I bought a SS 29er.

Members who have read this thread: 0