Thread: Wedding ring

mtbr member

Wedding ring

Married less than three months ago, my wedding band is the only piece of jewelry I've ever worn. I have no problems wearing the band for pull ups or weight lifting, but after two good days of riding in the past few days, I have a huge, deep white blister/callous/bump on my palm under my left ring finger.

Admittedly, there were a few moments in both of the last few rides where I was trying things I'd never done before and I was probably gripping the handlebars as hard as I could when I got uncomfortable.

Do I need to take my wedding band off when I ride? Or is my hand just getting used to it?

Anyone here have any first hand experience?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just remove mine. It's not as though you're going to suddenly become unfaithful or lose your love for the person. Besides it's sybolism still exists, but you "have" to keep it with you even if you're not wearing it. ;-)

Cyclist
    I'm just too scared to remove mine. God forbid I ever loose it. I'd never hear the end of it.

"You lost it riding?...Yeah, right. Who were you riding with? What were you riding?"...man, I shudder just thinking about it.

One piece of advice; are you wearing a comfort fit band? It has a rounded inner edge that is real comfortable.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    One piece of advice; are you wearing a comfort fit band? It has a rounded inner edge that is real comfortable.
    Yes, it is a comfort fit band.

And just like you, I'd rather not take it off...ever. I've worn it non-stop for at least a month now, and it doesn't even register that I have it on anymore...but this blister/callous reminded me. (I think it's just a deep blister. I'm hoping over time a callous prevents them from reoccuring...)

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    My husband and I have an agreement that we won't ever call each other out for not wearing our wedding band while being active--running, biking, doing stuff around the house. I can wear my band almost anytime except for riding. It drives me nuts.

mtbr member

Your finger will adjust

Before long it will not bother you. I only take mine off for some yard work and back in the day when we rock climbed. My wife will ride with her rings on if I let her but due to the stones, I would prefer that she not. I bought her a plain white gold band to wear while riding and doing other things where she might damage her engagement or wedding ring.

mtbr member
    Both me and wife remove our wedding rings for riding and running, it's just jewelry to us, not proof we love each other.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    when I first started wearing mine, it felt really weird and I was paranoid about it falling off. after a ccouple of months, I didn't notice it anymore. I do heavy weight lifting, woodworking, yard work, lots of biking etc with it on. no problems, no blisters, etc. give it time, and make sure it fits right

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Both me and wife remove our wedding rings for riding and running, it's just jewelry to us, not proof we love each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    I just remove mine. It's not as though you're going to suddenly become unfaithful or lose your love for the person. Besides it's sybolism still exists, but you "have" to keep it with you even if you're not wearing it. ;-)
    Yep, I take mine off for riding, weightlifting and some other things where I'm working with my hands. Usually, I put it on the nightstand so I know where it is, rather than taking it with me in a pocket or something where, knowing me, I will lose it.

try driving your car less
    I wear mine riding, but take it off for swimming and sailing. Be careful taking off your gloves, prime time to lose the ring.

I put it on my keyring.

I should have bought a second as backup when I got the original!
    Only boring people get bored.

Loser

I took care of mine early on...

I've been married for almost 18 years. I lost my band within the first year. My wife could have been pissed, but she lost hers around the same time (we had a house fire and we never found them after the rapid packing - not that we knew exactly where they were before the fire).

Its a bummer from a financial standpoint (though they weren't really expensive), but we really don't see it as having any real significance.

John

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not married but I think I'd take it off for the weight lifting.
    I'd be worried about the bar damaging the ring unless it was tungston or some such.
    My folks got new bands for their 25th or 30th wedding ann. and the new ones are etched along the outside. Dad's is always getting grungy from working on the car.

Map Maker
    I used to take my ring off at work . I was a wood worker and set down a heavy frame on my ring and squashed it - the only way to get it off was to use some heavy pliers which then made the ring square. I though I'd ruined it , but the jeweler made it round again no problem. It is pretty beat up now.

After that I kept it off at work. Now that I have a desk job I haven't taken it off in a long time, for riding or working out. I will take it off if I am making hamburgers or cleaning out the gutters or something like that.
    Its been on so long my finger has a groove worn into it from the ring.
    If you are worried about losing it or messing it up, take it off.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    I've been married 2+ yrs. Have lost a bit of weight and the ring still slides the same over my knuckle but is looser than before. When riding it'll move up near the knuckle and that's where it really bugs me, more so on the roadie than the mtn bike. I just remove it now before I leave the house to ride or leave it in my car in the ashtray. My wife will remove hers when she rides so that her gloves are more comfortable. We both remove them before we leave the house when we go to the lake also (sunscreen, 40+ft of water, taking a tumble off the tube or going down water skiing is just not worth the risk to me or her).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I guess I am the different one here. I could never get used to mine. It drove me absolutely nuts. After thinking I lost it a few times (put it in my pocket), I put it somewhere where I wouldn't lose it, my safe. It has been there for 5+ years.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member

I just don't wear one...

My wife wears one but I have noever worn rings and she is pretty cool about it not being an issue. I have a ring that she gave me when we first started dating that I sometimes just throw on that finger if we are going somewhere fancy, otherwise I dont wear one.
    "Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'm surprised to hear that so many of don't take your ring off when working with power tools!
    My husband took his off years ago because of power tool use and also, he runs white water rafts for fun and was getting deep blisering. I'm OK with it - it's just a symbol, and our marriage is the sum of many more things than that.

formica

not so super...
    I take mine off for most outdoor activities and leave it at home. The wife understands that it is better left at home than to have it wind up cut in half in the ER room because I crashed and broke my finger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Keep it on

Keep it on and your hand will grow around it. It may be only a shinny piece of metal, but its significance should be a part of every aspect of your life. Wear it proud.

Silence! I kill you!
    I'm in the same boat you are in the marriage department. Got married last August. I've kept mine on all the time, except for certain times at work. I haven't had any problems with it while riding.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member

My wife & I

take our rings off when we remember to before a ride. I remove mine when I play volleyball. I know this is a freak incidince, but my riding buddy's Dad was wearing his back when he was in his twenties, and while rough-housing with some friends went to jump over a chainlink fence. He put one hand down on the top of the fence in a vaulting like motion since the fence was only like 4 ft. high, and one of the top link ends slid in between the ring and his finger. He was in a full run, and his momentum helped him sail over the fence. His finger was not so lucky. Despite losing the finger, he still has had a successful medical career. Seems like no big deal to remove the ring before a ride. A ring or a bike can be replaced. A finger can't.
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i lost mine because i always take it off before riding. now I'm getting a tatoo band...

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01
    Married less than three months ago, my wedding band is the only piece of jewelry I've ever worn. I have no problems wearing the band for pull ups or weight lifting, but after two good days of riding in the past few days, I have a huge, deep white blister/callous/bump on my palm under my left ring finger.

Admittedly, there were a few moments in both of the last few rides where I was trying things I'd never done before and I was probably gripping the handlebars as hard as I could when I got uncomfortable.

Do I need to take my wedding band off when I ride? Or is my hand just getting used to it?

I'd just take it off for the ride. I take mine off for basically any sport, it's 'comfort fit' and titanium (lightweight) but it still drives me nuts. I can't stand having anything on my hands when doing something active, especially activities that require a grip on something. I just keep it in my wallet in my pack while I'm riding and put it on afterwards.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

bob
    mtbr member

I almost never remove mine.

I almost never remove mine. Why? Because, I know me and I would lose it. I sleep with it on, ride with it on, take showers with it on, ect. The only time I remove it is if I'm doing an activity where it could potentialy fall off, such as surfing. It's not about the symbolism of wearing it for me, it's about just keeping up with it.

My wife takes hers off all the time depending on the activity. Maybe I should ask her about those activities?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Never had a problem wearing mine. Perhaps you are sqeezing the grips to tight. But I have huge hands so it may be differant for everybody.

i worship Mr T

i take off all my jewelry (except my earings which i never take off...oh, and my bellybutton ring which also never gets removed) to do anything athletic. in fact, i take off any rings, necklaces, and watches to sleep as well. at home i have a small box in the bathroom where i put my rings (so that cat doesnt turn them into play things). if i don't think to take them off before i get to where i plan to ride i put my rings on my watch band and the both the watch and the rings into my ride bag. the only problem i've ever had with doing this is i once washed a necklace that i had carfully folded into a shirt. trashed the chain. oops. i find that when i ride i am constantly worried about losing my rings, and i also get the same sort of callus/blister you describe. it's not comfortable so why torture myself?

i'm not currently married but i will do the same with my wedding band as i do with my other rings when the opportunity arises.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.
    I've been married 2+ yrs. Have lost a bit of weight and the ring still slides the same over my knuckle but is looser than before. When riding it'll move up near the knuckle and that's where it really bugs me, more so on the roadie than the mtn bike.
    A jeweler can resize it fairly easily. And make it bigger again even more easily.
    We all get it in the end.

Rolling
    Yep, it's ok to take it off. Just make sure you wear your ring when you are with your girlfriend so you won't be cheating!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I used to get those blisters but as other posters said, the hand should get used to it. The glove might also be an issue. Maybe the way it forms around the ring and your hand when gripping the bar causes just enough trouble to blister?
    My ring never comes off unless I go swimming in the ocean/lake. The ring slips off cold wet fingers much easier than I thought possible. Ask my wife about how I lost it in Laihina on our honeymoon. (Got it back after having my mind messed with by a local shell diver).
    Don't harsh my mello

don't try this at home
    i had to take mine off for rides or any other actitivity that required grabbing a bar like weights, pull-ups, etc. i also used to take it because i was afraid of losing it! so what do i do? I take it off to do some chores and was never able to find it again.

but since i lost mine i don't have those problems anymore, just new ones. my wife doesn't bother me too much about losing it (going on 3 or 4 years) but she doesn't miss an opportunity to point it out when people show us their rings.
    will you rep me?

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.
    I've been married 2+ yrs. Have lost a bit of weight and the ring still slides the same over my knuckle but is looser than before.
    I had the same problem. Took it to the jeweler and had it resized. now it's snug but not tight. Can't rmember the last time I took it off.

mtbr member
    My ring won't come off. It's cursed. I think my wife put one of her "spells" on it. All I know, is that to remove this curse, I have to cut the ring off and I would be F R E E !!! Free to do whatever I want.

I have tried cutting the ring but it's made of some kind of material that's too strong to cut. Damn that spell!!

The other alternative would be to cut off my finger. However, I have grown attached to my finger and I don't want to remove it.

Oh how I long for the day's to be free from her spell.

Someone please help me. Oh please, oh please help me.

L1MEY
    I wear mine almost all the time... it is a plain platinum band though, so I don't have to worrry about catching a stone on anything (that is the reason I wanted a plain ring in the first place). If I ever have to remove it (it's a bit uncomfortable for weight lifting), I just thread it on to my necklace, which I also wear all the time. Both are fine for riding, though I'd think twice about keeping my ring on if I was going rock climbing or something.

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I used to ride with my ring -- until I crashed and sprained my ring finger. Didnt occur to me to remove the ring immediately, so as my finger started to swell, and the ring restricted blood flow.

After two days, my finger turned rock-hard and purple, and I had to go to the hospital to have the ring cut off. It was a total loss and I had to buy a replacement.

"El Whatever"
    I've been married for over a year now and never had any probs with it, either riding, using tools, etc.

I'd wouldn't wear it working with some machine tools or welding, though. I've seen some nasty stuff.
    Check my Site

Just roll it......

I'm not married (yet), but I have a ring on my right ring finger that I have to take it off when I use one pair of my gloves (661) and not my other gloves (Fox). I think it comes down to how the one pair of gloves bunch in that area....but they fit me fine otherwise.

EB

mtbr member

de-gloving

Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    ...oh, and my bellybutton ring which also never gets removed) to do anything athletic.
    Ahhhh...... we sure missed you Rebecca. Who but you to set our simple men-minds off into visual orbit now and then!

On a more serious note,

Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I'm surprised to hear that so many of don't take your ring off when working with power tools!
    Dead-on. "Degloving" can happen when a ring gets snagged on something and pulled off (falling off a ladder, reach for SOMETHING - oops! ring snags paint bucket hook....), along with the flesh from the ring up. Tons of activities are pretty dangerous in this respect, from power tools to rock climbing. It's not a sign of disrespect to take safety seriously.

BTW peteer01, give it a few months/years/decades and your finger/palm will adjust! I've been hitched and riding for a long time. No wussy rounded edges, big wide chunk of milled platinum, and I'm fine. I usually take mine off so as to not lose it while riding (and to prevent damage to it or my finger) clipping it onto my keys' caribeener.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

lurker no more

Huge, deep white blister/callous/bump? Not good. I'm sure your spouse will understand if you take it off because of that reason while riding.

I don't wear my ring when I'm involved in sporting activities, just too great a chance of it getting lost or damaged. If you really feel you should have the ring with you at all times just get a locking carabiner used in rock climbing and place the ring on there and attach it to something you'll take with you. A little on the pricey side, but it works great. I do that when I'm at the climbing gym if I've forgotten to take the ring off beforehand and have never lost it. Then when you get better at the trails you are riding you can leave it on the finger if you're not worried about damaging or losing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I remove my earrings and rings before doing anything. Rings are a bit loose as it is, and definitely don't want the stones being removed. I used to keep my necklace on, but hubby had a good point when he said that it might one day get caught on something and the chain might break. I do keep my belly button ring in no matter what, but a) it's difficult enough to change it, much less taking it out for hours or days at a time, and b) it really isn't sticking out.

Hubby keeps his ring on while riding usually, and I don't think he's had any problems, but I wouldn't mind if he took it off either.

those are Rollercams...
    Married over 14 years and never take mine off, for anything and I wear one on each hand. Bought a Titanium replacement for the original gold band about a year ago but I felt really odd wearing something diferent in it's place, so I went back to old faithful and wear the Ti band on my right hand.

Initially, I kept it on so I wouldn't forget to wear it but now it's become part of me.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Caboose!

Take it of...

I just made a year of marriage this past Sunday. I wear my ring all the time except for cleaning around the house (especially washing dishes & yard work) and riding. In years past I've broken all of my fingers once, and many of them twice or more. The idea of my finger swelling up before I remember to take the ring off is all the motivation I need. Not to mention snagging it on stuff, losing it when you take your gloves off, the blisters you are experiencing, or just slipping off from the vibrations of riding.

Leave it at home. Always leave it in the same place. Put it on once you get home. Better safe than sorry.
    Aloooooooooooooha!
    Fat Jeff
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Got a PBS mind in an MTV world-Jimmy Buffett

life is a barrel o'fun
    As a former employee of a major jewelery store's repair department, for the love of GOD people remove the rings now and then!!!

Gold is a rather soft metal. Platinum is more durable but not bullet-proof. Diamonds may be the hardest substance on earth, but they can still chip and fall out of their settings.

My favorite conversations were with women who just received an expensive repair estimate for their engagement rings. "But I'm just a housewife, it's not like I wear it hard!"

Well, guess what? Wear it 24/7 for several years, and it's going to be whacked into doorknobs, dunked in caustic liquids (soap, bleach, etc.), banged around at the gym, smacked into desks, rubbed up against another ring, snagged in a sweater, chewed on by dogs, ground in a garbage disposal, fished out of a toilet, etc. etc. etc.

Ditto men with expensive watches. They don't realize that a "sporty water-resistant" $25,000 watch isn't really meant to be worn deep-sea diving or rock climbing or jackhammering.

Don't wear stuff to the point where your finger grows around it {{{shudder}}} and the EMTs have to take a chainsaw to it, which is irrepairable damage. Nothing sentimental about having to replace a wedding band in its entirety.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

byklvr

We're 50/50...

Wife just broke the "inheritance" ring after 6 weeks of wearing it. It broke at the sizing seam. I'm not going to make her feel obliged to wear it, I picked her up a comfort fit in white gold, 1/2 size bigger and a size (3?) I think. Basically the same style of band i wear. Both of us freak out whenever she "clinks" the good ring. So, for now it's the "cheapie" for work, rides, etc. and the "real" ring for everything else. We'd rather lose $2.. vs. $5000.

-I'll post a pic later(servers being upgraded)

run, hide, it's a bike!

remove it

You should remove it when you ride. the main reason, if you break your fingre some how, they ER will have to cut the ring off your finger to let the swelling out and to fix it.

That thought alone should be enough. I remove mine, but it in a zip pocket in my bag, and that is it.

**! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I should have bought a second as backup when I got the original!
    That's what I say about my WIFE!

Thenkew, Thenkew, I'll be here all week - don't forget to tip your waitress!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

ring

I had the same problem and just took my ring off to ride and work, one day I thought I lost my ring but found it, that night I went "out for milk" and had a copy off my ring tatoo'd onto my finger. My wife was speachless and tomorrow we are married for 14 years!

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I take mine off. 9 times out of 10, I just leave it at home on my nightstand before I ever leave. The other times that I forget, I leave it in the car. Having once suffered a ganglion on the ring finger of my right hand (not from the wedding band, though) that required surgery, I'm really sensitive to what's going on with my fingers...and yes being a professional musician, I need to be extra careful with them, too.

I don't wear any other jewlery except the wedding band. It took me a while to get used to it, and I often feel naked without it. Interestingly, my wife does not wear her wedding band due to skin allergies. It really doesn't bother me. I find it quite humorous when guys hit on her thinking that she's single because she isn't wearing a wedding band.

Adobo Lover
    I wear full finger gloves just to make sure I don't lose it. I take it off depending on activity. Anything that requires a ball and the chance of jamming some fingers, yup I take it off. I never had a problem with mine while biking. Once you get a callous there though,you should have a problem. If your callous gets all knarly, I would shave it down a little so it's nice and smooth. I did have a problem with the area for my 3rd digit. New glove with less padding(none). It was creasing in that area. I was going to kick myself for not spending a little more money on a better set of Fox gloves. However, the hotspot eventually went away.

mtbr member

Doesn't bother me one bit. I forget I have it. I have even done the Big Bear 12 hr DH race with it... now THAT gives beats up your hands!

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    My ring won't come off. It's cursed. I think my wife put one of her "spells" on it. All I know, is that to remove this curse, I have to cut the ring off and I would be F R E E !!! Free to do whatever I want.

I have tried cutting the ring but it's made of some kind of material that's too strong to cut. Damn that spell!!

The other alternative would be to cut off my finger. However, I have grown attached to my finger and I don't want to remove it.

Oh how I long for the day's to be free from her spell.

Someone please help me. Oh please, oh please help me.
    I know someone who can help:

He works cheap, but you'll have to let him keep the ring.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    I take mine off for any sports related activity. Just don't want to risk having it cut off if I break or sprain one of my fingers. gets clipped onto my keychain. The only time my wife gets mad is when she joins us for the after ride/game/whatever beer and I haven't put it back on yet. Been married 8 years and still can't always seem to remeber to put it back on before she gets there.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Ahhhh...... we sure missed you Rebecca. Who but you to set our simple men-minds off into visual orbit now and then!
    LOL. what can i say?

"degloving"....eeew!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by byklvr
    Wife just broke the "inheritance" ring after 6 weeks of wearing it. It broke at the sizing seam. I'm not going to make her feel obliged to wear it, I picked her up a comfort fit in white gold, 1/2 size bigger and a size (3?) I think. Basically the same style of band i wear. Both of us freak out whenever she "clinks" the good ring. So, for now it's the "cheapie" for work, rides, etc. and the "real" ring for everything else. We'd rather lose $2.. vs. $5000.

-I'll post a pic later(servers being upgraded)
    size 3?! wow. your wife must have really tiny hands (or at least rally skinny fingers). i wear a 4.25 and my fingers are pretty narrow.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    I'd just take it off for the ride. I take mine off for basically any sport, it's 'comfort fit' and titanium (lightweight) but it still drives me nuts. I can't stand having anything on my hands when doing something active, especially activities that require a grip on something. I just keep it in my wallet in my pack while I'm riding and put it on afterwards.
    dude.. i also have a titanium band, and i do the exact same thing... during rides and lifting weights, it sits safely in my wallet.. and the wife totally understands, since it's a symbolic formality anyway, and has nothing to do with our feelings for one another.

cheers.

3 on the tree

Funny you should ask.........

A couple of weekends ago I went for a two-hour ride. While lathering up in the shower afterwards, I felt a blood-drawing scratch on my shoulder. Puzzled, I looked down at my left hand and saw that my wedding band was cracked in two places.

Upon getting the ring repaired, the jeweler said that one should always remove the ring while doing athletic physical activities involving the hands, with weightlifting being the most stressful on gold rings. I never used to remove the ring, but I do now.
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The only time I ever wear my ring is when we're "going out" somewhere on the weekend. I work around machinery so I never wear it at work. The only time I wear it while riding is if I forgot to take it off from the night before.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I harldy wear mine anymore...I took to wearing a good fitting O-ring (machine shop work precludes jewelry)..That O-ring is always on, always cheap to replace too.....
    T

Members who have read this thread: 0