bonkin' clyde

Turkey-Day ride...Passion hit from MD

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share with you one of the greatest rides I've ever had. Every year, we do a Thanksgiving Day ride here in Patapsco Valley State Park close to Baltimore. The trails there range from smooooth and gentle singletrack to 'oh sh#t, I'm dead'. Anyway, about 50 of us got together for the T-Day ride and rode all over the park, covering at least 20 miles in about 3 hrs. Some pros, amateurs, freeriders, they were all there. Quite a diverse bunch. There was a 7:30 am group that left to 'warm-up' and work off their 'extra' energy. I don't know how the heck they get have all that energy, but thankfully they had mellowed out a bit for us slowpokes.

Now, how well did I ride? I bonked 3 miles into the ride, sat down, ready to throw up but didn't thankfully, then drank some water, ate some peanut brittle, sat some more, then tried to find everyone else. We have about 100+ miles of good riding trails, but the popular ones are easy to find. Caught up with the group as they got back and followed them out to the park entrance. I was part of the 9:00 am group.

We covered lots of trails I've never been on before, and lets just say that some of them beat the crap out of me and the bike (10+ mph downhill on sharp, wet rocks covered with wet leaves on an NRS). I wouldn't have had it any other way though!

Thanks guys for a helluva ride!!
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

mtbr member
    I had a great ride today, too. Nothing special, just my normal loop, but it was especially cool because I came around a corner in the singletrack and happened upon about 10-15 wild turkeys! I told them I was sorry about their friends!
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wish I was there, I was debating about going down there today, but after seeing it snow last night and all the rain we had I figured it would be all mud and didn't want to damage the trails. Is it ridable there without tearing things up too bad? I've only rode it twice (live in harford county and ride Loch Raven or Fairhill mostly) so I am not sure how quick it it recovers from rain. I am going to try to get down there tomorrow, providing work doesn't call me in.

Quote Originally Posted by bluronthetrails
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to share with you one of the greatest rides I've ever had. Every year, we do a Thanksgiving Day ride here in Patapsco Valley State Park close to Baltimore. The trails there range from smooooth and gentle singletrack to 'oh sh#t, I'm dead'. Anyway, about 50 of us got together for the T-Day ride and rode all over the park, covering at least 20 miles in about 3 hrs. Some pros, amateurs, freeriders, they were all there. Quite a diverse bunch. There was a 7:30 am group that left to 'warm-up' and work off their 'extra' energy. I don't know how the heck they get have all that energy, but thankfully they had mellowed out a bit for us slowpokes.

Now, how well did I ride? I bonked 3 miles into the ride, sat down, ready to throw up but didn't thankfully, then drank some water, ate some peanut brittle, sat some more, then tried to find everyone else. We have about 100+ miles of good riding trails, but the popular ones are easy to find. Caught up with the group as they got back and followed them out to the park entrance. I was part of the 9:00 am group.

We covered lots of trails I've never been on before, and lets just say that some of them beat the crap out of me and the bike (10+ mph downhill on sharp, wet rocks covered with wet leaves on an NRS). I wouldn't have had it any other way though!

Thanks guys for a helluva ride!!

life is a barrel o'fun
    Maaaaan I'm so envious. Organized a nice-sized group ride for this morning, but it was a washout. Damn, you even get real live turkeys to decorate the trail for the Thanksgiving ride, that's class!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

bonkin' clyde

That was a worry

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp187
    I wish I was there, I was debating about going down there today, but after seeing it snow last night and all the rain we had I figured it would be all mud and didn't want to damage the trails. Is it ridable there without tearing things up too bad? I've only rode it twice (live in harford county and ride Loch Raven or Fairhill mostly) so I am not sure how quick it it recovers from rain. I am going to try to get down there tomorrow, providing work doesn't call me in.
    But the leaves on the trails have done an amazing job of absorbing the water and preventing the trails from turning to soup. Frankly, I was surprised how clean my bike was when I got home. Watch the 'lowland' trails as they're always soupy after a wet and since they're always used they also have a tough time draining water through the packed ground.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did a couple laps around Roseryville myself. First lap was w/ a bunch of guys from the shop. Second I did by myself for about 18 miles total. There were a couple other groups out there also. Haven't been there since spring and the new trails they've added were a little muddy, but the older trails were in great shape! I personally only had one wipe out. There are still alot of fall leaves and the rain this morning made things a bit slippery. Well, flying along the boundry and picking up more speed (around 18 MPH according to my 'puter) I leaned into a slight curve and my front wheel flew out from under me. Musta rolled and bounced about 10' But it was all good!

xtrememaniak
    Nov 2005
    Ney Fred Noticed you're from Wakefield. I lived on Armory St. for a while then on Water St above the barber shop for a couple of years. Also worked for the Water Dept out there. Breakhart is cool but check out the Lynn Woods. Take Rt 1 north pull into what used to be a restaraunt, can't remember the name, but there was a fish on the sign. then take off into the woods behind there-really sweet trails. Also the Fellsway had a really nice down hill.

mtbr member

When I used to live in Baltimore 10 years ago...

We used to start the Turkey Day ride at Loch Raven and everyone will park at the church on Seminary. I think that became too much (there were cars parked on the side of the road on both sides of Seminary) for the place and plus, there was talk about banning group rides (like-what the heck constitutes a group ride anyway?) a long time ago. This was back in the day when Roger Bird was still in MAMBO and I was still using thumbshifters... When I would return for Turkey Day, I would still do the ride but the rides were in Patapsco instead.
    It seems that there is no similar Turkey Day ride tradition in Boise, ID.
    This year is the 2nd year I haven't gone home to Baltimore for Turkey Day. I went to Moab with a friend instead. I think that will be the new tradition..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adobo Lover
    Bluronthetrails, I wish I went on a ride Thanksgiving day to justify how much food I ate. Flip, great pic again. Definitely inspirational.

Members who have read this thread: 0