Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Turkey Day passion - Boise style

Today was the annual Lost River Cycling Turkey day ride in Boise. Two years ago, we had 4" of snow on the foothills, and last year was rain. This year...ahh, this year, all we had to "rise above" was this little winter weather phenomenon we get here in Boise called an "inversion." When we get a strong high pressure sit over the northwest for several days, as has been the prevailing weather pattern recently, the cold air drops into the valleys and forms a very dense layer of fog, about 1000 - 1500 feet tall from the ground. This is the dreaded inversion - the cold air drops and the warm air rises (hence, inverted). In town, and for the next 1000 feet up or so, it's very foggy and very cold. However, it's pretty easy to climb out of and into bright sunshine - for some amazing views. It's also about 10 - 15 degrees warmer above the fog. Here are the ride pix today to prove it. The first two were taken at lower elevation, while the last two were at the top of the ride. It was nice to at least see the sun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

SingleTrackSal

Missing the Boise Riding!

Thanks for posting the pics man, makes me miss the fine foothills riding all the more! Where did you guys go, looks like 8th up to Scott's, then down Corral's?

mtbr member
    Bllllaaaaak. I hate winter inversions. My brother-in-law is out here for Thanksgiving from SLC and he's loving the clear blue skies. Glad to see you guys were able to rise above it.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Where did you guys go, looks like 8th up to Scott's, then down Corral's?
    Actually, the photos are out of order - we did Corrals to Hulls Gulch and then I split off and went up and over Chickadee. The first shot is taken at the 8th street moto parking lot, photo 2 is on chickadee, and photos 3 and 4 are at the top of Corrals. It was spooky up there - nice and sunny at first, and then the fog rolled in over top of us... Here's another couple of shots from the top of corrals. This was my third day in a row riding up over the inversion. Tuesday night we did a night ride on 3 bears that put us over the fog, and then Wednesday afternoon, the top of Sidewinder was above the fog, right at sunset. Wish I'd had my camera then - the effect of the fog was much more dramatic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi!!!
    Ahhhh so that's what clear blue skies look like. How the heck would I know...this past damn week it's sucked to be stuck in the valley. Earlier this morning I debated on whether or not to go above Idaho City to go snowshoeing, but it sounded like the conditions weren't that great so I bagged it and sat around the house for too damn long. I was going nuts so I loaded up the SS and hit Wilson Creek.

Wow...it looks like Corrals was in pretty good shape. WTF have I been doing riding at Military Reserve!?!?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Nice! Went through Boise this summer on the way back from Jackson Hole. Nice looking town and I was scanning those surrounding mountains thinking of all the good mountain biking there must be in that area. I even mentioned to my wife that it looks like a good place to live.

I must confess though...I enjoyed the sunny 70's down here in SoCal this last weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0