i worship Mr T

toe warmers ROCK!!

so i carefully typed up this loooong story about how i've decided to commute into work and take advantage of the whopping $3/day reimbursement the commute alternatives program offers, and it's really cold out, and i have raynauds syndrome and my hands & feet hate riding in temps below about 50*F, blah blah blah. and then i accidentally erased the whole thing and now i'm too lazy to retype it. so the short story is i added toe warmers to my 18-layer artic expedition riding ensemble this morning (temps were hovering in the mid 20's and my ride is 12.5 miles on the road) and for the first time ever my feet were warm all the way to work. it was awesome!! toe warmers are the bomb. in fact, i think i'm going to take out stock in the company that makes them and then run out and buy every packet of them in the state of GA. well, maybe not, but they really are the bomb.

r(eally)t(oasty)
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

ballbuster

Second that

Except I'm a cheepskate (cheep, as in Mad Magazine Cheep) and have been using the cut off corners of plastic bags in the toes of my Sidis along with Smartwool socks. Works pretty well, but my toes move around a bit in the shoe, so I have to cinch them down extra tightyly.

I think imonna invest in some proper toe warmers.

Raynauds syndrome.... My wife has a super cold nose. Whenever it gets below 60, her nose gets painfully cold. Any relation?

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Raynauds syndrome.... My wife has a super cold nose. Whenever it gets below 60, her nose gets painfully cold. Any relation?
    no, that dayNOSE syndrome. completely different.

btw, i just bought a box of 40 pair of warmers from AEbike.com. $8 cheaper than buying them at REI.

mmmm. toasty toes.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Want to vent?
    Ya toe warmers are the coolest? i mean warmest....

Im like pimp though in jan / feb early morning road rides i still like the plastic sandwich bag too............your foot will freakin sweat in those things.........also i use my MTB shoes on the road in the cold............the road shoes i got (even though both made by shimano) seem to feel like they got a breeze way thru them.....
    Last edited by The SS Boz; 12-06-2005 at 10:12 AM.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hear ya. Haven't used the toe warmer ones yet as they seem to be a little hard to come by here, but have uses the square hand warmers in my shoes and that was just fine. Used my first pair this past weekend and didn't have a problem!

mtbr member

Good thing you have a GOOD excuse!

Ha -50 degrees!!!!!! That's Short Sleeves Weather! Er, for us non-circulatory (?) challenged cold-weather freaks. It's been in the teens here lately - making me finally go to the gym and bust out the rollers. On a low-wind sunny day, I'm OK with 20 degrees and up, but with wind, it's got to be above freezing - and I consider THIS wimpy!

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    no, that dayNOSE syndrome. completely different.

btw, i just bought a box of 40 pair of warmers from AEbike.com. $8 cheaper than buying them at REI.

mmmm. toasty toes.

rt
    Smartwool socks and Neoprene booties are the way to go. I've been out in 10deg weather and still had my feet feeling nice and warm. Everything else was cold and miserable, but my feet felt great.

Headsweats under-helmet hats are real nice too. Better than the neoprene ones I've used.

-->> edit - I just noticed that I misread that - not ARM warmers - just "warmers".. ? still... 40pair?
    Last edited by forkboy; 12-06-2005 at 10:30 AM.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz
    Ya toe warmers are the coolest? i mean warmest....

Im like pimp though in jan / feb early morning road rides i still like the plastic sandwich bag too............your foot will freakin sweat in those things.........also i use my MTB shoes on the road in the cold............the road shoes i got (even though both made by shimano) seem to feel like they got a breeze way thru them.....
    my fear with plastic bags is that my feet will get so hot that my socks will end up wet and then my feet will get cold because they're wet (if that makes any sense). that said, plastic bags from a variety of gas station convenience stores have saved my toes several times on unexpectedly cold rides.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    What the heck are you going to do with 40 pairs of armwarmers? Outfit all the Hindu gods?

Smartwool socks and Neoprene booties are the way to go. I've been out in 10deg weather and still had my feet feeling nice and warm. Everything else was cold and miserable, but my feet felt great.

Headsweats under-helmet hats are real nice too. Better than the neoprene ones I've used.

LOL! hindu gods get cold too you know. besides, i have skinny legs i can use 20 pair as leg warmers.

never had any luck with neoprene booties. my toes still freeze.

yeah, i just discovered the wonders of ear warmer headbands. wore mine today and my ears were as toasty as my toes.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    I hear ya. Haven't used the toe warmer ones yet as they seem to be a little hard to come by here, but have uses the square hand warmers in my shoes and that was just fine. Used my first pair this past weekend and didn't have a problem!
    i actually put the warmers on top of the toe of my shoe between the shoe & my bootie. i don't have room for anything but my insole, sock, and foot inside my shoe. worked like a charm.

you can get the foot ones online at AEbike.com. or i found them here at REI.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    -->> edit - I just noticed that I misread that - not ARM warmers - just "warmers".. ? still... 40pair?
    I think she's talking about the non-reusable chemical toe warmers that you put in your shoes to keep your toes warm. $8 for 40 pair of those is a good deal. I think they're something over $1 a pair at my local sporting goods store.

I'm also a fan of the smart wool socks and full coverage neoprene booties. I got the inulated ones from Performance and I've been toasty down to low single digits.

I also like the little neoprende toe booties that just fit over the tips of your shoes for more reasonable temps (25-35), but be warned.... they fall off sometimes when you unclip. So at $8 a pair they can get expensive if you lose too many of them.

K(warm toes)Rob

i worship Mr T

i've been sissified since moving south...

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Ha -50 degrees!!!!!! That's Short Sleeves Weather! Er, for us non-circulatory (?) challenged cold-weather freaks. It's been in the teens here lately - making me finally go to the gym and bust out the rollers. On a low-wind sunny day, I'm OK with 20 degrees and up, but with wind, it's got to be above freezing - and I consider THIS wimpy!

i used to think that there was no reason to complain as long as the high for the day was over 25. now i've lived in the sissySouth for too long and it's tough to get me out the door if the temps are below about 35. besides, it's a damp 25 here. none of those dry temps you guys have. yeah, that's my story and i'm sticking to it. it's all the humidity. right.

actually, 50 is nice riding weather. 20, on the other hand, not so nice. and i'll ride trails more happily in 20* than road. on the road 20* should only be seen from a car.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Linoleum Knife
    LOL! hindu gods get cold too you know. besides, i have skinny legs i can use 20 pair as leg warmers.

never had any luck with neoprene booties. my toes still freeze.

yeah, i just discovered the wonders of ear warmer headbands. wore mine today and my ears were as toasty as my toes.

rt
    Hah - you're talking about these

NOT talking about

You can see my confusion

Our high here yesterday was the mid 20's. It was 3 degrees this morning.... I haven't been on a bike in 3 weeks.
    I just sit around watching TV and eating pie.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I think she's talking about the non-reusable chemical toe warmers that you put in your shoes to keep your toes warm. $8 for 40 pair of those is a good deal. I think they're something over $1 a pair at my local sporting goods store.

I'm also a fan of the smart wool socks and full coverage neoprene booties. I got the inulated ones from Performance and I've been toasty down to low single digits.

I also like the little neoprende toe booties that just fit over the tips of your shoes for more reasonable temps (25-35), but be warned.... they fall off sometimes when you unclip. So at $8 a pair they can get expensive if you lose too many of them.

K(warm toes)Rob
    LOL! not $8 for 40 pair! i wish they were that cheap. rather i saved $8 over buying 40 pair from REI which works out to $1.50/pair rather than $1.80 (at REI). havent' seen them any cheaper than REI around here.

i'll have to try the smartwool socks. everyone swears by them but i have trouble with wool against my skin. makes me itch.

i had on the full giordana windproof lightly fleece lined bootie this morning. i've also got the toe covers but use them for much warmer weather.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Linoleum Knife
    i'll have to try the smartwool socks. everyone swears by them but i have trouble with wool against my skin. makes me itch.

rt
    Smartwool is Merino wool - not regular sheep wool.

The merino is apparently some magical breed of sheep from NZ that doesn't itch. Kind of like the Unicorn of the sheep family...

They are the only socks worth buying. I wear them year-round for road cycling.

i worship Mr T
    ...You can see my confusion

Our high here yesterday was the mid 20's. It was 3 degrees this morning.... I haven't been on a bike in 3 weeks.
    ah, now we are on the same page.

brrr. 3 degrees would drive me onto the couch indefinately.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Smartwool is Merino wool - not regular sheep wool.

The merino is apparently some magical breed of sheep from NZ that doesn't itch. Kind of like the Unicorn of the sheep family...

They are the only socks worth buying. I wear them year-round for road cycling.
    doesn't matter to my skin. i can't even wear cashmere next to my skin because it itches.

rt - baa

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    .....which works out to $1.50/pair
    Whoops. Misread that one. LOL.

So your $3/day alternative commute reimbursement is now down to $1.50. Well.... at least on the cold days. Still pays bigger dividends in the end methinks.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    dam pesky control key--at least I think that's the key-- occasionally I type up a long diatribe and get to moving fast with my 3 finger typing style --and I do think that's the key I hit--and everything is gone. It is even worse when using a laptop.

uggh, in TX I used to hate 40s, now moving from Hawaii in February and I bet i hate the temps wherever I end up.

so i carefully typed up this loooong story about how i've decided to commute into work and take advantage of the whopping $3/day reimbursement the commute alternatives program offers, and it's really cold out, and i have raynauds syndrome and my hands & feet hate riding in temps below about 50*F, blah blah blah. and then i accidentally erased the whole thing and now i'm too lazy to retype it. so the short story is i added toe warmers to my 18-layer artic expedition riding ensemble this morning (temps were hovering in the mid 20's and my ride is 12.5 miles on the road) and for the first time ever my feet were warm all the way to work. it was awesome!! toe warmers are the bomb. in fact, i think i'm going to take out stock in the company that makes them and then run out and buy every packet of them in the state of GA. well, maybe not, but they really are the bomb.

r(eally)t(oasty)

beer thief
    a friend swears by (empty) chip bags on the feet. doritos on the left, cooler ranch on the right, i think. i'm more of a baked barbeque kinda guy.

i love riding in cool temps - on mountain bikes. our ride sunday was around 30*, just perfect for a sweat-free, minimal stoppage kind of ride.

if the gubamint reads that you're really toasted, you might lose yer job....

Hup, Hup
    A pair of wool socks and booties and I am good down to freezing for maybe an hour then the toes are pretty cold. I may have to try the toe warmers, sounds toasty.
    Last edited by Fuel_95; 12-06-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

life is a barrel o'fun
    SO glad somebody mentioned chip bags. It makes me feel like less of a freak admitting that I recently considered putting a french fry in each shoe, because while driving home from a night ride, my toes were painfully cold.

And there are a million drive-thru fast-food places that call out to me saying, "Get some french fries! Screw nutrition! Hey- your feet are cold, there's a good reason to get some fries!" nooooo!!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Aww right

another winter bike commuter; even if it is in the sillySouth it still rocks. Normal cycling socks combined with Sealskin socks is a nice combo for cold temps.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    I've been meaning to try those. I have one pair of wool socks which have been great for those cold wet mtb rides; but those toe warmers look like the perfect thing for cold long road rides. It's also a pain to find booties for size 14 shoes.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel_95
    A pair of wool socks and booties and I am good down to freezing for maybe an hour then the toes are pretty cold. I may have to try the toe warmers, sounds toasty.
    worth every penny of the $1.80 i spent on them. highly recommended.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    a friend swears by (empty) chip bags on the feet. doritos on the left, cooler ranch on the right, i think. i'm more of a baked barbeque kinda guy.

i love riding in cool temps - on mountain bikes. our ride sunday was around 30*, just perfect for a sweat-free, minimal stoppage kind of ride.

if the gubamint reads that you're really toasted, you might lose yer job....
    interesting. doesn't that leave his feet a bit greasy? i think i'd be more of a plain/original recipe sort.

the gubamint already has me on their sh*t list for defying authority and trying to bring my bike into my office. apparently a bike is considered a "hazard" despite the fact that the only hazard having my bike in my office presents is if i am trying to jump out an already sealed window.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    SO glad somebody mentioned chip bags. It makes me feel like less of a freak admitting that I recently considered putting a french fry in each shoe, because while driving home from a night ride, my toes were painfully cold.

And there are a million drive-thru fast-food places that call out to me saying, "Get some french fries! Screw nutrition! Hey- your feet are cold, there's a good reason to get some fries!" nooooo!!
    french fries will cure just about anything. and what they don't cure chocolate takes up the slack.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    I've been meaning to try those. I have one pair of wool socks which have been great for those cold wet mtb rides; but those toe warmers look like the perfect thing for cold long road rides. It's also a pain to find booties for size 14 shoes.
    try 'em. they're awesome. don't know if i'd use them on mtb rides but they were tailor made for road riding in the winter.

hehe. don't share the bootie problem - my booties are actually a little big. guess they weren't thinking of a size 6 shoe when they made the size small.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Whoops. Misread that one. LOL.

So your $3/day alternative commute reimbursement is now down to $1.50. Well.... at least on the cold days. Still pays bigger dividends in the end methinks.
    hehe. thought of that. actually i'm probably not going to do much more than break even on the endeavor since i had to buy a big a$$ bike lock after my bike was deemed a "hazard" and banished from my office, and i'm trying to build up a commuter for less than $100. once all is said & done i'll probably have spent my $3/day twice over. still, can't beat getting 25 miles in for nothing twice/week in addition to the other riding i do.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

i actually put the warmers on top of the toe of my shoe between the shoe & my bootie. i don't have room for anything but my insole, sock, and foot inside my shoe. worked like a charm.

rt
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look those up and place an order!

beer thief
    interesting. doesn't that leave his feet a bit greasy? i think i'd be more of a plain/original recipe sort.
    Well, I don't plan to check to find out. Maybe they were baked chip bags.

I do know they have that high-tech space age foil liner....

Am I getting too bulky?
    I just picked up six pairs of toe warmers and six pair of hand warmers at Home Depot yesterday. The toe wamrers are $1.50 a pair and you can buy them undividually. If you can find them that is. What I want to know is, why do the toe warmers that last 6 hours cost $1.50 a pair, when the hand warmers that last 10 hours cost $1.00 a pair individually? Surely the sticky stuff to anchor them to your insoles isn't worth $.50 a pair. ???

If you can get the full sized hand wamers into your shoes, RT, they should still be usable for heat by the time you turn around to go home! I've been able to fit them under my arch in a pinch, but I have huge arches.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

pewpewpew Moderator
    my fear with plastic bags is that my feet will get so hot that my socks will end up wet and then my feet will get cold because they're wet (if that makes any sense).

rt
    Perfect sense.

Thanks for posting the linkage to the cheep warmers, that may be my motivating factor to start bike commuting. What else is in your commute ensemble - specifically what tights or pants do you wear?

Cookie Monster
    Oct 2005

too cold

Hah - you're talking about these

NOT talking about

You can see my confusion

Our high was up to 36, but by the time I got home rom work it was allready 29 and almost dark. My bike was all prepped and I was dreaming about a ride all day. But I caved! I made a huge spicy burito and sipped from a bottle of vodka. I feel guilty....but good.

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004

Wally World

I hate Wal-Mart, but they do have something I haven't seen mentioned. They sell an insole that has a hollowed out area near the toes that chemical warmers slide into. They're perfect because the area where the warmer is is directly above the pedal cleat on your shoe. This stops the hot/cold temperatue conduction from the cleat, which is why I think my toes have got cold in the past. They're cheat to, 10 bucks I think. Hard to find though, they were located on the end of the shoe isle. The also sell the chem warmers, $2 for 3 packs.

I've been putting the chem warmers against my wrists (either directly or outside my first layer's sleeve) on really cold days, it seems to help keep my digits warm.
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've been using chem toe warmers + smartwool socks for the last couple winters...for mtb and adv racing during the winter...they work great, as do the body warmers and hand warmers. i keep meaning to order a large supply, and i saw this link posted somewhere else:

http://industrialsavings.com/Merchan...e=warmingpacks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not just Smartwool socks, but any type of thick wool socks is ideal in the winter. So much so that I find I generally do not need to struggle getting the Pearl Izumi booties on.

ANother nice option for the very frigid weather, is Patagonia capilene socks under thick wool socks.....would be surprised if anyone could still get cold feet with that combo.

SSasquatch

rt
    Great idea... I will try that tonight. I stuffed a pair of the toe warmers in my shoes the other day, and I think any heating benefit was negated because the circulation in my foot was terrible.

Savvy?
    Mmmm. Toe warmers.

During my road ride yesterday, my feet froze...and it was only 50 degrees out(I'm from Florida, what can I say? ). I definitely need to look into getting some toe warmers or something.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    I just picked up six pairs of toe warmers and six pair of hand warmers at Home Depot yesterday. The toe wamrers are $1.50 a pair and you can buy them undividually. If you can find them that is. What I want to know is, why do the toe warmers that last 6 hours cost $1.50 a pair, when the hand warmers that last 10 hours cost $1.00 a pair individually? Surely the sticky stuff to anchor them to your insoles isn't worth $.50 a pair. ???

If you can get the full sized hand wamers into your shoes, RT, they should still be usable for heat by the time you turn around to go home! I've been able to fit them under my arch in a pinch, but I have huge arches.
    the warmers are hard to find at HD around here. sometimes you can find the hand warmers but rarely the ones for your feet. better price than REI though.

i actually can't get anything into my shoes. i've got custom insoles in my road shoes that take up more space than they ought to so i'm a firm believer that nothing goes into my shoe besides my sock and my foot. i put the warmer on top of my shoe between my shoe and my bootie. don't know if there would be room for the full sized handwarmer. good idea though.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

yesterday's ensemble from the top down...

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Perfect sense.

Thanks for posting the linkage to the cheep warmers, that may be my motivating factor to start bike commuting. What else is in your commute ensemble - specifically what tights or pants do you wear?
    hey girl.

the wet feet thing is a common problem with skiiers - the boots are so well insulated that people's feet get too hot, sweat, and then get cold. same thing happens with ski gloves - hands get hot, gloves don't breath and get wet, hands get unbearably cold. i used to see it all the time when i worked in a ski shop.

here's my full ensemble from yesterday. i figure the temp was somewhere between 25-29*F, not much ambient wind to speak of, and although the sun was shining most of my ride is on shady streets. i averaged about 16 mph on a rolling route with more stop lights than i'd like.

From the top down:
    helmet
    pearl izumi fleece lined head band/ear warmer
    DeFeet short sleeve Un-d-shirt
    North Face thermal polypro (with a zip and mock turtleneck....a favorite out of the ski-wear bag)
    Cannondale fleece lined (pretty thin) jersey/jacket (full zip)
    Pearl Izumi wind vest
    Pearl Izumi ultrasensor shorts (my favorites!)
    Performance wind-stopper tights (no chamois) - these tights rock!! they are super warm & toasty and do a great job blocking out the wind
    medium weight cycling socks (not sure who makes them)
    cycling shoes
    toe warmers
    Giordana windproof fleece booties
    Performance wind stopper fleece gloves
    Pearl Izumi windproof lobster glove shells (i picked these up in the Performance Clearance room at the Chapel Hill, NC store about 6 years ago. they are amazing but i've never seen them for sale anywhere since).

all in all i looked a lot like i was heading out on an artic expedition and i was very colorful in a rasta sort of way: bright yellow cannondale jersey, bright green wind vest, and bright red gloves!!

the only things that were cold were my chin and the top of my head through the vents in my helmet.

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Keep The Rubber Side Down

6 + 8 = 14

try 'em. they're awesome. don't know if i'd use them on mtb rides but they were tailor made for road riding in the winter.

hehe. don't share the bootie problem - my booties are actually a little big. guess they weren't thinking of a size 6 shoe when they made the size small.

rt
    On the other side of the shoe spectrum, I wear a men's 14. Being a Clydesdale is not all the fun people think it's cracked up to be

I'm getting started on my winter traing for racing season, so I will need to invest in these.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Am I getting too bulky?
    Just an FYI to those looking for wool socks. Costco has nice thick Wigwam boot socks for $10 a three pack. Similar socks have cost me in the $15 - $20 range for just one pair at stores like REI and EMS. And for the ladies, they have "The World's Softest Sock" for about $12 a three pack. I wish they came in my size.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Just an FYI to those looking for wool socks. Costco has nice thick Wigwam boot socks for $10 a three pack. Similar socks have cost me in the $15 - $20 range for just one pair at stores like REI and EMS. And for the ladies, they have "The World's Softest Sock" for about $12 a three pack. I wish they came in my size.
    "worlds softest sock"? hmmm, sounds nice. as long as it doesn't have any wool in it....otherwise it's itchy feet central for me.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Currently in Exile
    Welcome to the club!

I have been using toe warmers since I moved to ND to make riding on cold days more bearable.

Some of you all amaze me. I won't ride if the temp is below 20 F. At 20 F if you are traveling at 15 MPH into a 10 MPH headwind the effective wind chill is -15 F. Even with everything covered up and multiple layers that is damn cold! At 10 F, this drops down to -29 F. Way too cold to put up with.

Maybe wind chill is not as much of an issue if you live somewhere with trees!?
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just get some bubble wrap (the size of bubbles are about 3/8") and wrap the front portion of your shoe all around, then take duct tape and cover all of it and run a strip around your heel to keep it on. Cut the bottom out for your cleat and you are good to go. Works great down to 10 degrees and when the bottoms get frazzled, just add more tape.

just along for the ride
    Better yet move to CA, get more taned but cold problem solved

Members who have read this thread: 0