Thread: Today's ride...

Loser

Today's ride...

It was a great day for a ride here in CT, I mean 60's, bright sun in mid-November - that's cause for a celebration!

Perhaps the most interesting thing that happened was by the side of the lake. We met this guy who was walking his dog. We talked for a minute and he made an unbelievably racist remark (used the N word). Now normally when confronted with that kind of remark, I'll shake my head and walk away. DNA took it a step further telling the guy what an idiot he was, I must say it was the best reaction I've ever seen to this kind of stupidity - three cheers for DNA. I really like the idea of telling ignorant people like this what's what rather than walking away, that will be my response from here on...

Anyway, grabbed a few shots... Six months from now I'll look back on this as my "multiple exposure" phase.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's no app for this.

nice shots

John, good weather for this time of year. Good for DNA, also. Just when I think all the morons are gone, another seems to pop up. Thank goodness riding keeps me sane. Jim

DNA
    mtbr member

Thanks Jish

That guy was an idiot.. I can't believe there are still racist people in the year 2005..
    His remark was about Africa Americans and I just have no tollarance for people making such remarks... Just because we are three white guys out in the woods talking to a white racist doesn't mean we should act like what he said was permissable.. True, everyone has a right to fredom of speech and opinion.... Unfortuately that also means that people a right to be stupid if they choose. Oh well.
    GAATTC

mtbr member
    Nice shots! God the weather was sooo nice today(I'm in NH), it's a real shame I had to work all day.Oh well I hear it's gonna be nice tomarrow too and I should get a chance to go riding after school tomarrow.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

paintbucket

But its a good phase...

You know the old saying: three's a crowd.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Unit 91
    How do you connect all of your multishots together?
    Bikes

Loser

Simple...

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    How do you connect all of your multishots together?
    I use the "continuous" mode on my camera to catch multiple images standing in the same spot without panning the camera.

I used Microsoft Photo Editor - but just about any photo editing software can do it. I start with the "middle" picture (rider in the middle of the screen), then I find the pictures that have the rider in non-overlapping positions. I use the select tool to cut the rider out and paste it into the middle picture. Not sure that makes sense.

Its similar to the method you use to cut and paste text in Word.

John

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Jisch.. nice pics man!

looks like 2 of you are wearing some Roach leg armor..
    how do you like it?
    do those stay on well during crashes? get hot? uncomfortable?

i been thinking about picking up a pair.

cheers.

those are Rollercams...
    Is that Cranbury Park in Norwalk? I haven't been there in years.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Loser

They are great!

Quote Originally Posted by blender
    Jisch.. nice pics man!

looks like 2 of you are wearing some Roach leg armor..
    how do you like it?
    do those stay on well during crashes? get hot? uncomfortable?

i been thinking about picking up a pair.

cheers.
    They are, of course, hotter than not wearing any pads, however, they are the most comfortable pads I've worn. They never slip, and after a few minutes, I forget they are on there. There is nothing better than that feeling just before impact when you remember you're wearing pads. I've had the end of the seatpost get in behind the pads once during a crash, but I think that was a one time event.

John

There's no app for this.

the

'shore wears Roach; they stay on, comfortable, but as with all they can get hot in warmer weather. I'm surprised at how popular they are, but the Dainese and Hoots and all the rest just don't cut it and have disappeared... but the Roach simply works. Very well.

Jim

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Nice pics!

It was a spectacular day down in Maryland, too. I took the bike over to Schaeffer Farms and had a blast.

beer thief
    I gotta say I really like the multi-exposure shots. Very, very cool.

I also have a set of Roach pads (bought in Whistler at about double the price) and they're great.

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    I use the "continuous" mode on my camera to catch multiple images standing in the same spot without panning the camera.

I used Microsoft Photo Editor - but just about any photo editing software can do it. I start with the "middle" picture (rider in the middle of the screen), then I find the pictures that have the rider in non-overlapping positions. I use the select tool to cut the rider out and paste it into the middle picture. Not sure that makes sense.

Its similar to the method you use to cut and paste text in Word.

John
    Thanks.
    Bikes

Wiseass in real life too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    They are, of course, hotter than not wearing any pads, however, they are the most comfortable pads I've worn.
    I'm amused by someone from Conneticut writing about being hot.

Loser

Ever been to CT in the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK
    I'm amused by someone from Conneticut writing about being hot.
    The summers here can be very hot and humid. Its not unusual for us to have 15-20 days over 90. Its very unusual for that heat to come without a heavy dose of humidity. I know in the SW 90 is nothing, but trust me the humidity makes it downright miserable. When the air is humid sweating does nothing to cool you down since it doesn't evaporate.

That being said, I won't have to worry about being too hot for the next 7 or 8 months, and for the next 3 months my concern will center more around staying warm!

John

GCM
    mtbr member
    Its rather ironic that this thread migrated to a discussion on pads - I too rode on Sunday, in CT and yes it was a perfect day that yielded a great ride until bad positioning combined with leaves to hide a big 'gotcha rock' threw me into the most painful OTB I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Shoulder, elbow, wrist, pinky finger and knee were all screaming for help. I shook it off after a few minutes and we continued riding but after about 45 minutes after the crash my elbow started to swell and stiffing to the point that we had to head back - still got in over 2 hours of riding though. By the time I got home, the only part the really hurt was my elbow. Alternating ice and heat seemed to do a good job on it and by Monday, nothing was too painful - maybe the handfull of ibuprofin a gobbled down had something to do with it.

I assumed everything was fine until this morning when I woke up with a knee filled with fluid. The Doc took a sample with the big suction needle. The fluid turned out to be blood, so I had to get an Xray - don't know the outcome of that yet.

In anycase my Christmas list will include knee/shin and elbow pads. Had I been wearing pads, I would have simply walked away with the silly 'I just did a OTB look on my face' but instead I've got a nice med bill and a knee that's currently in limbo. On the possitive side, the bike is fine - it had a nice cushy landing right on top of me!
    88 Keys and only 10 fingers....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    *****Anyone looking for raoch pads may not find them under the roach name as they were bought out by raceface. So now they are the same pads they just same raceface on them.

About the N word thing...i hate to be the jerk but if that really offends you i would stay away from hip hop radio stations and mtv/bet tv channels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thats true, and not something anyone wants to get into an argument about i think. I think it's worst when someone uses it in a context with genuine racist malice, as opposed to when a black rapper uses it to pass a buck...

I need to get me some of those pads

It was miserable here in wisconsin today, 45 and raining (I was scared to take out my new bike, dont want it to get all wet!)

Loser

Different meanings...

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburgler
    *****Anyone looking for raoch pads may not find them under the roach name as they were bought out by raceface. So now they are the same pads they just same raceface on them.

About the N word thing...i hate to be the jerk but if that really offends you i would stay away from hip hop radio stations and mtv/bet tv channels.
    Mine say Race Face on them..

With regards to the N word, let's agree that there are two ways its used. On a hip hop station or in a rap song, its acceptable. Used as a racial slur, by a white guy is NOT ok. I'm not offended by the word itself, but by the context in which it was used.

John

Loser

Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by GCM
    In anycase my Christmas list will include knee/shin and elbow pads. Had I been wearing pads, I would have simply walked away with the silly 'I just did a OTB look on my face' but instead I've got a nice med bill and a knee that's currently in limbo. On the possitive side, the bike is fine - it had a nice cushy landing right on top of me!
    That sucks. I hope everything turns out ok.

Also ironic - on this ride we were giving Unsprung (in the black shirt) a hard time about not wearing pads, he was giving us a hard time about wearing them (friendly jabs back and forth). Sure enough, in the last 100 yards of the ride, he hits a rock hidden under the leaves and goes over removing a 2x8" section of skin from his shin. Ugly.

You see the article in the Courant about two people getting evacuated from Case on Sunday? One was airlifted out after "blunt trauma to the torso". Leaves definitely elevate the difficulty level.

John

Freeriding Feline

Pics

Great pics...GCM, feel better. Blood in the knee is never a good thing.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cool! Thanks for the post.

Members who have read this thread: 0