A wheelist

Today is Dalerider Day.

Once again, every January 14th, is a special day for some of us oldtimers around here. It's Dalerider Day. Dalerider - Chris Cannon - a friend to many of us in the early days of MTBR (1997ish to 2000) passed away at the young age of 47 while doing what he loved - riding his beloved Cannondale.

Many of us around here laughed with him, cried with him and the lucky ones got to meet and ride with him. One regular (I won't mention his name) probably met his future wife because of Chris. I met and rode with him twice and, like many, shared hundreds of e-mails with him. I still have most of them, including one from the day he died.

Dalerider was a prolific Passionista and he doled out much advice to many Newbies and was known to give out bike parts and even whole bikes to needy causes. He was a philanthropist in many ways.

Large in spirit, body and above all, passion for the sport, he was what many of us wished we were.

RIP Dalerider. Ride on. Thanks for being with me for hundreds of rides since January 14th 2000.

Click onto the avatar-sized pic of the angry guy at the top right of this page. It takes you to my site in his memory. Enjoy his pictures, poems and stories. Be sure to read "A Ride With My Father" on my 2nd page.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

sh*t disturber
    RIP Big Daddy. We miss you tons. How time has flown.

Disturber du Merde
    Miss you Big Daddy. Glad I checked in today and saw this thread. I will always remember Jim Thorpe. Love ya,

BT & CT

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Really cool dude, he just exuded warmth and good vibes. He exemplified the saying "Be the change you want to see in the world."

It's about showing up.

So nice to remember him.

He helped keep people going.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Only knew him from MTBR and he's missed here more than anyone who didn't experience him can know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

What we mean when we say "community."

DR personified what we mean when say "community." Even though I never met him, I always felt as if I had. He was one of the strongest members of that early online family - helpful, positive, wise. It's hard to believe that someone who lived so enthusiastically had to die so young.

It's not what you think.
    Like many, I never meet the man though I was greatly influenced by his wisdom... I often thought to myself "what would Chris do?". I hope his family is doing well. RIP Big Daddy.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

MIss you big daddy...

I'll never forget my first Gathering - Jim Thorpe '99. It was what inspired me to put together a few at Mt. Snow. Ride On friend!

This photo was taken as I arrived at the Jim Thorpe gathering. Yes, that is Brad Trent flipping me the bird before we even met in person (I came though the door with camera in hand expecting something like that!) DR1 is to his left with the infectious smile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today is Dalerider Day.-first-dinner.jpg  

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cush
    I'll never forget my first Gathering - Jim Thorpe '99. It was what inspired me to put together a few at Mt. Snow. Ride On friend!

This photo was taken as I arrived at the Jim Thorpe gathering. Yes, that is Brad Trent flipping me the bird before we even met in person (I came though the door with camera in hand expecting something like that!) DR1 is to his left with the infectious smile.
    That's me looking away from Beets in disgust at his vulgar gesture.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    I never got to experience the honor of riding with DR1, but we exchanged a few phone calls but hundreds of emails and posts. His presense here is still mised after all this time.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

i be lurkin
    any one who rides a cannondale is a friend of mine!
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Disturber du Merde
    That was Cathy who posted above (logged in as me!), but I've been out all day and am glad I got back in time to say how much I miss Chris and what he meant to this place...and how I miss the Olden Dayz.....

BeeT's

since 4/10/2009
    I had only just started visiting the forum when DR1 passed...I remember some of those threads, but I can't for the life of me remember if I had registered to post at that point yet. I've even looked back at the old archived stuff from back then and I can't find any of my posts.

It's good to see DR1's memory continues.

Big Mac
    Yeah, he is conspicuous in his absence.

A wheelist
    Dalerider Day has once more come and gone. That day always leaves my head spinning with memories as my mother passed away on the same date but a few years earlier.

It's trite to say that someone "was the best; they'd do anything for you" but in DR's case this was the truth and no-one who knew him can contradict me or accuse me of stretching it a bit. He was the whole package - a great husband, father, friend. He loved cycling and life more than anyone you know or ever knew. And if you don't agree with that then this pic is for you.

Cast of characters - Anark, Celly, Spike, Big Dave, Dalerider, Deadly Tedly. Bottom row - Lacey, Brad Trent, MaryAnn, Mike T.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I really wish I would have had a chance to get to know him.

Probably drunk right now

Axe Murderer's Role Call

Mike,

Thank you for continuing to keep Chris' memory and spirit alive and remind us of his passion for the sport we love.

Ride in Peace on the neverending singletrack, DR.

Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ride on

I only knew him from his posts. That was plenty to allow you to see his character.
    Ride on DR1

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I clicked on this. He was a good man with a great attitude, and it warms the heart to see how many he positively influenced during his lifetime.

mad scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Dalerider Day has once more come and gone. That day always leaves my head spinning with memories as my mother passed away on the same date but a few years earlier.

It's trite to say that someone "was the best; they'd do anything for you" but in DR's case this was the truth and no-one who knew him can contradict me or accuse me of stretching it a bit. He was the whole package - a great husband, father, friend. He loved cycling and life more than anyone you know or ever knew. And if you don't agree with that then this pic is for you.

Cast of characters - Anark, Celly, Spike, Big Dave, Dalerider, Deadly Tedly. Bottom row - Lacey, Brad Trent, MaryAnn, Mike T.
    DR-1 day always brings out the old timers... thx Mike Tea

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    RIP Chris. I miss you and the fun times we had.

Sorry I'm late =(
    Allan

Members who have read this thread: 1