Gravity Rides Everything

Are there such thing as hardcore motorcycle commuters?

I don't know a lot of motorcyclists honestly. I've met plenty of all weather bike commuters, is anybody out there doin it on a motorcycle. Very similar ethos. minimalist vehicle, wind and sun and rain on your body. reduced environmental impact. just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I sit in 2.5-3 hours a day of so cal traffic and there are plenty of motorcycle commuters. Everyday I kind of wish I was one of them Then it rains, or I hear about an accident involving one and am glad I have my car.

Trying to get a job closer. We'll see how it goes.

mtbr member

You got one here.

Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    I don't know a lot of motorcyclists honestly. I've met plenty of all weather bike commuters, is anybody out there doin it on a motorcycle. Very similar ethos. minimalist vehicle, wind and sun and rain on your body. reduced environmental impact. just a thought.
    I bought a Honda Rebel last April, mostly to commute, or run to the coffee shop on weekends. The incentive was money. Chevy 2500HD diesel 4x4...18mpg. Honda...80mpg. I am almost at the break even point. (Had to save about $1500 in fuel to pay for the bike, taxes, and insurance.) Once I make up my initial investment, it is all money in the bank!

I ride the motorcycle over 95% of the time. I must admit that since I live in deep south Texas, I don't have to be too hard core. Very few really cool days, and there is always the truck if it is raining hard before I leave for work. I do enjoy experiencing the "environment". And since my route to work is almost all rural, It is a relaxing way to commute.
    It's just a name. Never been above 2656 oz.

E !

Right here

My motorcycle is my main transportation. 200 miles per week commuting. I keep my rain gear in my saddle bags. Here in vegas it doesn't rain that much anyways. The mornings are a bit cold though. "hard core ?" that's all in the mind!
    P.S.- mpg=52-55 in stop and go traffic with the usual high winds. On a smooth steady open road i have had 60-65mpg average.
    the - E - dog

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    I sit in 2.5-3 hours a day of so cal traffic and there are plenty of motorcycle commuters. Everyday I kind of wish I was one of them Then it rains, or I hear about an accident involving one and am glad I have my car.

Yikes, what's your commute? I used to do South Orange County to Cerritos, ugh.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Used to. Thinking about it again. For about 3 years, I rode every day except if the temp was below freezing - and it wasn't because of the cold, rather just something about ice and only two wheels on the road. I guess I cheated on really rainy days once in a while, too, so call it 90% for about 3 years. Moved to FL and rode all year except summer where it was too hot to dress properly. Many of the drivers there were bad!! Had one guy in a lifted, muddy Toyota (you make your own assumptions) chase me for a while because I apparently pulled in to close in front of him or something. He didn't stand a chance.

don't try this at home
    i don't think i qualify as hardcore, since my commute is only about a mile, but i ride my mc on days when i have to drive to other sites throughout the day. on days when i'm in the office all day, i ride my bicycle. rain is the only time, i'm not too keen on mc'ing, especially if i have to go to different sites. not too good showing up at a meeting all wet. so i do have a truck for those kinds of days.
    will you rep me?

Two wheels are best
    I bought my Harley Sportster on 3/5/05 and have put 4,800 miles on it so far this year. Contrast that to the just under 400 miles I've put on my truck during that same period.

I really don't mind the cold...rain is a very different story, however. Getting wet isn't the problem (good rain suit and over boots with a FF helmet works fine)...it's the cagers that worry me. I have enough problems trying to stay out of their way when it's dry...when it's wet...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I worked with a guy at a bike shop who would ride his MC in almost any weather. Course he was from Wisconsin so cold did not seem to bother him. He did however consider any temp over 60-70F as being hot. And since most of the time our temp in AR is over 70F, he complained about the heat a lot. But he would ride his MC to work with just a lite jacket when the temp was cold. I think at around freezing he would drive or walk to work, above that he rode the MC.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    They are called BMW riders. When it pouring out, freezing, or just crappy and you see a motorcylist riding, 90% of the time is will be a BMW rider.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride my honda silverwing everywhere I go...Its great for a college student, and I can ride in all weather here in Milwaukee, as they keep the streets clean.

It sucks when it's cold, though, like today for example...It's 5 degrees f with the wind chill

The Tortoise
    I believe cycleforums.com has a forum for the commuting. Adventurerider.com, or something similar, also has lots of these zany folks. Every time I think about it, I miss my motorcycle more and more. But I sold it when I came back to school after a co-op term because I live close enough to campus that it would actually take longer to ride a motorcycle than a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Yikes, what's your commute? I used to do South Orange County to Cerritos, ugh.
    SW Riverside to Del Mar area. It's only 54 miles. During Xmas/New Years it takes about 45 mins at the most. It's really just that 8 mile or so stretch in Escondido that makes it bad

Cheezy Rider
    I sit in 2.5-3 hours a day of so cal traffic and there are plenty of motorcycle commuters. Everyday I kind of wish I was one of them .
    I was one of those guys, til my bike and leg got mangled by a car. Wouldn't call So Cal riders hardcore though, it's the guys riding through the snow that really deserve the title. They doe exist.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005

my dad rides alot

my dad rides a 2002 honda vfr alot. his commute to work isn't too far, but he rides it in most weather.....just thrown on the joe rocket ballistic gear and your ready to go! i would say his ride home when he bought the bike was pretty hardcore. we live in indiana and he flew down to flordia and bought the bike then rode it back in two days. it was raining alot of the time and the cross wind was soo bad that he had to put new tires on it cause one side was worn so badly from riding at an angle while the wind blew. he rides it on trips to illionis quite a bit too. and when he's not riding it......i'm riding it!!!!!! I ride a supermoto xr600r alot, but i don't like getting cought in the rain on that too much but 2 wheels and a motor is my personal preferance for traveling. Now to sell my motocross bike and buy a cbr600rr so i can be hardcore....hmm

bikerpilot

Count me in

Every day back and forth to college. No matter the temperature, sunshine or rain. I love motorcycles, they were definitely my first love. I started riding just before I was 4 years old. I just got hard into MTB last year after I hurt my wrist so bad racing MX that I can't do that anymore. The motorcycle is definitely easier to park on campus, too. I would ride my road bike, but it's dark by the time I get to come home most days, and the road from school to my house is really crappy and buckled up. Crank, crank, huge bump-repeat. And whoever said it was right about the BMW guys, they are definitely hardcore. I've ridden around CO, over passes, through freezing rain and snow, so I can handle it all, but there's just something about them.....

And how in the hell am I supposed to write an intelligent post with Jessica Simpson's a*s and legs staring me in the face from over there on the right side?

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR
    Every day back and forth to college. No matter the temperature, sunshine or rain. I love motorcycles, they were definitely my first love. I started riding just before I was 4 years old. I just got hard into MTB last year after I hurt my wrist so bad racing MX that I can't do that anymore. The motorcycle is definitely easier to park on campus, too. I would ride my road bike, but it's dark by the time I get to come home most days, and the road from school to my house is really crappy and buckled up. Crank, crank, huge bump-repeat. And whoever said it was right about the BMW guys, they are definitely hardcore. I've ridden around CO, over passes, through freezing rain and snow, so I can handle it all, but there's just something about them.....

And how in the hell am I supposed to write an intelligent post with Jessica Simpson's a*s and legs staring me in the face from over there on the right side?
    yeah i've been hurt pretty bad racing mx too. i'm a junior and my freshmen year i broke 8bones in my foot. well 6 foot bones and then the talus bone and the bottom of a leg bone. well long story short....i have arthritus in my right foot from it now. i'm going to sell my crf250 so i can get my self a sportbike. Mx is too dangerous. not that i hate it, but i can't afford to get hurt bad anymore. my medical bills are crazy cause i was in physical therapy over a year after that injury so thats kind of why i'm back into mtn. biking and road biking. plus after one moto my foot is swollen and shaking....it just can't handle the abuse these days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    I live in Canada and I commute until the ice hits. I spent last month riding in anything between 0 and ten degrees with a number of days of heavy rain - not really a big deal if you have rain gear. Although I have ridden in ice rain (hairy!) and a snow storm or two (not too bad if the road is clear), you can't really ride a motorcycle year round like you can a bike. I used to ride a bike all winter in London, Ontario - in my parka, and sorels. If I went down, no big deal. On a motorcycle you wouldn't stand a chance - too heavy and going too fast. I have often wondered if a 50 cc dirt bike might work, but I'm getting too old and soft to try.

jrm
    mtbr member

Take the train...

do yourself a favor..

mtbr member
    MC in So Cal is the way to go. I ride in to downtown LA everyday, unless it's raining (which is rare). Cuts my commute time in half, saves gas, and avoids wear and tear on my car. Cheaper parking too. Mainly, though, I enjoy the sense of freedom as I blast by all the suckers sitting five lanes wide in parking-lot traffic.

Members who have read this thread: 0