Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Tell me where to go! shiggy's Out There Tour March '11

Next month I am traveling from Washington state to Colorado and Utah to attend the Front Range Cyclist Show (March 19) and the GRIT Epic 50 (St George UT, March 26.

But the main part of the tour is to find the trails you ride everyday. The best trail is the one you are on.
    Where should I stop to ride? Can you take me for a ride on your trails?
    My route is open, help me plan it.

I will be talking about my Out There Tour in Colorado Springs, and you can be a part of the story.

see you Out There!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me where to go! shiggy's Out There Tour March '11-vanfeb11.jpg  

Last edited by shiggy; 02-22-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How long are you going to be Out There? You should come to the Black Hills Fat Tire Fest May 27 - 30 if your tour will run that long. It's a good time, lots of cool folks from all over come to the fest, lots of good trails here.

One more thing, word is that there will be a downhill race on Strider push bikes this. I saw the demo runs last year and it was a hoot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDhS...eature=related

http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne
    How long are you going to be Out There? You should come to the Black Hills Fat Tire Fest May 27 - 30 if your tour will run that long. It's a good time, lots of cool folks from all over come to the fest, lots of good trails here.

One more thing, word is that there will be a downhill race on Strider push bikes this. I saw the demo runs last year and it was a hoot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDhS...eature=related

http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/
    This is just one of many trips I will make this year, each 1-3 weeks long.

I have the BH Fest on my long list, and the Black Hills in general. Is this your home area?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fat Travels

Got a Fat Bike yet Shiggy? Replacing my tired old Cabelas Guide Dome w/ an MSR Stormking and planning to take some assorted Dune Trips. Oregon's coastal dunes for sure but also researching several other potential FBish areas. The south east Oregon high desert has allot of potential. Especially the Christmas Valley Dunes and the area east of Summer Lake (hot springs at Summer Lake). Fat bikes are taking me (and my cycling) to new and interesting places to explore even close to home. this was a couple weekends back at Beverly Dunes here in Wa. State.

Good luck in your travels! I have 2 fatties if you ever want to stop in for a spin...
    Cheers!
    -ward

No fat bike yet, Ward. Would love to connect for a ride. It could be easy to join you at the start or end of any of my trips, or make a run down.

The Christmas Valley dunes are cool. I spent a night in the Lost Forest, right next to the dunes. Lots of fun stuff around there including Fort Rock, Crack in the Ground and Hole in the Ground.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Shiggy!!! You need a D.O.D decal on that van. Might be a cool thing to collect from different clubs on your travels. Good luck!
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Shiggy!!! You need a D.O.D decal on that van. Might be a cool thing to collect from different clubs on your travels. Good luck!
    Jolly, look at the lower left rear window!

Place and club decals are part of the plan. Owing to run them down the sides next to the "shiggy's Out There" logos.
    I need to find some for Longview and Lorane (may have to settle for Eugene or CG).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'll PM you my email. Feel free to drop me a line if your coming this way (I'm in the Yakima area). The guy's at Revolution Cycles bought Pugslys this year as well so two more fat partners in the area now. Early Spring through late, late Fall there are "No Host" "Thursday Night Rides" at the Cowiche Conservancy. Usually get started between 5:30 & 6:30... A fella often show's up on an On One 29'er w/ Marys... Cool ride! I also spend quite a bit of time at Ocean Shores, great place to try Fat Bikes! Seriously, If you get the itch to really try these things out in they're element, let's plan to cross path's one of these days!

Happy Trails,
    -ward

The White Jeff W
    If you're feelin' an east coast trip check out the Dirtrag Dirtfest late May.

It's mountain bike Woodstock!

http://www.dirtragmag.com/dirtfest
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13

Man! I'd like to go to that! Shiggy, you need a roadie?

banned
    Feb 2005
    Love the idea shiggy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Shiggy, start a thread over on The Front Range Forum and let us know when you'll be in the area. We're mainly in the Denver area (Denver, Boulder, Longmont) and, who knows, maybe there'll be some dry trails for you to ride by then (I hope I hope I hope). You never know this time of year.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Well, you have to drive through the Grand Valley anyway, so you need to stop and say hello. And ride, and partake in food and beverages.

I'll show you around here:

mtbr member
    Need a passenger/support crew?

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Well, you have to drive through the Grand Valley anyway, so you need to stop and say hello. And ride, and partake in food and beverages.

I will take you up on that, sp
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    Need a passenger/support crew?
    Have you got a free 2-3 weeks?

In any case I will have to visit you in B'ham, Matt.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Have you got a free 2-3 weeks?

In any case I will have to visit you in B'ham, Matt.
    As a matter of fact, I do. I work at WWU and will be off for spring break during that time. Was hoping to do some kind of biking trip, actually.

Either way, I'll be happy to show you the best of Bellingham anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    As a matter of fact, I do. I work at WWU and will be off for spring break during that time. Was hoping to do some kind of biking trip, actually.

Either way, I'll be happy to show you the best of Bellingham anytime.
    Matt, email me. Maybe we can work something out.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Hey Shiggy, start a thread over on The Front Range Forum and let us know when you'll be in the area. We're mainly in the Denver area (Denver, Boulder, Longmont) and, who knows, maybe there'll be some dry trails for you to ride by then (I hope I hope I hope). You never know this time of year.
    Done, thanks.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by ward
    I'll PM you my email. Feel free to drop me a line if your coming this way (I'm in the Yakima area). The guy's at Revolution Cycles bought Pugslys this year as well so two more fat partners in the area now. Early Spring through late, late Fall there are "No Host" "Thursday Night Rides" at the Cowiche Conservancy. Usually get started between 5:30 & 6:30... A fella often show's up on an On One 29'er w/ Marys... Cool ride! I also spend quite a bit of time at Ocean Shores, great place to try Fat Bikes! Seriously, If you get the itch to really try these things out in they're element, let's plan to cross path's one of these days!

Happy Trails,
    -ward
    Ward, I will have to join you for some of the night rides. I had been part of the weekly DOD night rides (Eugene OR) since '85 (rain, moonshine or snow), with as many as 30 riders.

Tried to start night rides up here and max turnout has been three, and usually just me.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13

Checking it out. Could combine it with a swing into the south.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint

maybe scream will bake you some cookies. you'd best be taking her up on that invite

mtbr member
    With the snow we have been getting this year in Salt Lake, most of the trails will probably be wet, but if you need some riding (or snowshoeing!) around the Wasatch front, drop me an email! Sounds like a fun trip......
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air 9
    Niner EMD
    Titus Carbon Racer X- wife's hammer
    Jeep Ruby, and a few old rods.

Quote Originally Posted by 00vetter
    With the snow we have been getting this year in Salt Lake, most of the trails will probably be wet, but if you need some riding (or snowshoeing!) around the Wasatch front, drop me an email! Sounds like a fun trip......
    SLC is likely to be on the out route. I will watch the conditions.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002
    maybe scream will bake you some cookies. you'd best be taking her up on that invite
    Mmmmmmm...cookies...
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Boise, Idaho

Boise! on the way to Utah, just stop by. It should be about 50-60, and conditions should be pretty sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me where to go! shiggy's Out There Tour March '11-boise.jpg  

Tell me where to go! shiggy's Out There Tour March '11-bikeride.jpg  

Tell me where to go! shiggy's Out There Tour March '11-bikegroup.jpg  

It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

Quote Originally Posted by mzinn23
    Boise! on the way to Utah, just stop by. It should be about 50-60, and conditions should be pretty sweet!
    Sure! Send me some contact details.
    mtbtires.com

psycho cyclo addict
    Checking it out. Could combine it with a swing into the south.
    Cool... I'ma goin to Dirtfest. If you come to DC/MD/VA, I'd be happy to show you the good stuff in these parts as well

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sure! Send me some contact details.
    Interactive Trail Map
    http://ridgetorivers.cityofboise.org...Map/index.aspx

Southwest Idaho Mountain Bike Association
    http://www.swimba.org/

Trail Conditions
    http://ridgetorivers.blogspot.com/

Lost River Cycling Club does rides every Tuesday and Thursday night at 6:15, if you are interested, just let me know, and our group could set up a ride most any time of the week, especially Saturdays.

Mike
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

Your Best Friend
    I'm also available to help with the lower elevation SLC stuff. Guiding is what I do. Send me a PM when you get close and I can show you the goods.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is just one of many trips I will make this year, each 1-3 weeks long.

I have the BH Fest on my long list, and the Black Hills in general. Is this your home area?

I live in Wyoming, about two and a half hours drive from Rapid City. The guys I know and ride with in this area all ride in the Black Hills quite a bit.

Most of the good riding in Wyoming is south, around Laramie and some stuff starting to develop in the Green River area. Also some good stuff in the Northwest corner around Jackson. I don't get to those other areas much, the Black Hills are closer to me.

I live in Wyoming, about two and a half hours drive from Rapid City. The guys I know and ride with in this area all ride in the Black Hills quite a bit.

Most of the good riding in Wyoming is south, around Laramie and some stuff starting to develop in the Green River area. Also some good stuff in the Northwest corner around Jackson. I don't get to those other areas much, the Black Hills are closer to me.
    At this point it looks like I will be taking I-80 through Green River and Laramie.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    At this point it looks like I will be taking I-80 through Green River and Laramie.
    If you are interested in doing some riding down that way I will do a little leg work and see if I can put you in touch with some local guys to show you around.

Is the purpose of your tour primarily to take in as much riding as you can get, or are you wanting to meet local folks and get a feel for the bike scene in the areas too?

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Shiggy!!! You need a D.O.D decal on that van. Might be a cool thing to collect from different clubs on your travels.
    I'll get a Muddbunnie sticker for your van

Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH
    I'll get a Muddbunnie sticker for your van
    Perfect! I will even have you put it on when I come up. But I need to go along on a club ride.
    mtbtires.com

If you are interested in doing some riding down that way I will do a little leg work and see if I can put you in touch with some local guys to show you around.

Is the purpose of your tour primarily to take in as much riding as you can get, or are you wanting to meet local folks and get a feel for the bike scene in the areas too?
    Thanks, Airborne. I want to met the people as well as see their trails.
    mtbtires.com

slow
    Good riding both west and east of Laramie, but both will have to wait until one of your later trips, as they will be too wet / snowy in March.

West of Laramie, above Centennial, the Sheep Lake Trail is a nice ride above 11,000'. There are a few others in the area that are nice.

Two options east of Laramie are the Vedauwoo / Pole Montain area in which the annual Laramie Enduro is held. Just east of that area is the Curt Gowdy State Park, where there are lots of good trails,as well. These two options are closer to 7,500', so should melt off before the stuff near Centennial.

You could also take a short detour south from Laramie or Cheyenne and ride in Fort Collins / Loveland, Colorado. Our lower elevations will likely be dry before any of the above options. Plenty of folks here could give a nice tour. We are about an hour north of Denver and an hour south of Laramie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, Airborne. I want to met the people as well as see their trails.

Shiggy, I sent you an e-mail with a point of contact in Green River who said he will be happy to show you the trails there. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Good riding both west and east of Laramie, but both will have to wait until one of your later trips, as they will be too wet / snowy in March.

West of Laramie, above Centennial, the Sheep Lake Trail is a nice ride above 11,000'. There are a few others in the area that are nice.

Two options east of Laramie are the Vedauwoo / Pole Montain area in which the annual Laramie Enduro is held. Just east of that area is the Curt Gowdy State Park, where there are lots of good trails,as well. These two options are closer to 7,500', so should melt off before the stuff near Centennial.

You could also take a short detour south from Laramie or Cheyenne and ride in Fort Collins / Loveland, Colorado. Our lower elevations will likely be dry before any of the above options. Plenty of folks here could give a nice tour. We are about an hour north of Denver and an hour south of Laramie.
    I will be coming through FC.
    mtbtires.com

Shiggy, I sent you an e-mail with a point of contact in Green River who said he will be happy to show you the trails there. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    Message received, Airborne. Thank you.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Next month I am traveling from Washington state to Colorado and Utah to attend the Front Range Cyclist Show (March 19) and the GRIT Epic 50 (St George UT, March 26.

But the main part of the tour is to find the trails you ride everyday. The best trail is the one you are on.
    Where should I stop to ride? Can you take me for a ride on your trails?
    My route is open, help me plan it.

I will be talking about my Out There Tour in Colorado Springs, and you can be a part of the story.

see you Out There!
    Shiggy, Sedona will be primo in March and not too far from St. George.

mtbr member

Reno?

Shiggy, if you come home by way of Reno give me a shout. First week of April might be a little dicey because we have received so much snow this year but if March is relatively dry there are some great trails in the area.

Well, I just picked up several Titus and three On-One demo/display bikes, a bunch of bars and a few other things.

Set to head out Friday, give or take. For those that have offered to show me around, expect an email in a day or so to firm up details.

The hard dates are still the Front Range Cyclist Show March 19 in Colorado Springs and the GRIT Epic 50 March 26 in St George UT.
    mtbtires.com

Short-Change-Hero
    So shiggy... you taking 40 through CO? You said you were going through FC and SLC, just wondering because I have family in Steamboat Springs CO (little town on 40 near Rabbit Ears pass). "The Boat" is home to Moots and I am sure they would love to give you a tour of their facilities on your way thru from FC to SLC. Unfortunately, you will be limited to snow sports during this time of year but I am sure you can find some good party spots. If you happen to stop in The Boat let me know and I will see if I can hook you up with some guys for some drinks at the Pie...

Cycling, FTW!!

We gotz fat bikez in stemaboat too

Vernal has had a really snowy winter but things might thaw out in the next month.

Snow sports aren't that bad here in Steamboat in late March. It can either be great spring corn skiing/crust riding, or nipple deep powder. Great town, tons of snowmobile, nordic and snowshoe trails, and home to Moots and Eriksen cycles. You'll definitely enjoy killing a day or three here.

Groomers

Singletrack

Slickrock

Powder

Parties!
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

ride more
    Mar 2007
    If you decide on visiting dirtfest and want to check out some other PA trails, I'd be glad to show you around.

mtbr member
    The hard dates are still the Front Range Cyclist Show March 19 in Colorado Springs and the GRIT Epic 50 March 26 in St George UT.
    Can you hook me up with a Rockstar "demo" for the GRIT 50? I'll only need it for 6-8 hours. Sounds like the right tool for the job.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Can you hook me up with a Rockstar "demo" for the GRIT 50? I'll only need it for 6-8 hours. Sounds like the right tool for the job.
    Might be able to. I was planning on riding the Rockstar or Carbon FTM.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Might be able to. I was planning on riding the Rockstar or Carbon FTM.
    Seriously? I was kinda kidding, but that would be cool. Is there going to be a specific ride or location where the bikes will be available to demo other than that while you're in St. George?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Shiggy, If you pass through Golden, I'd be happy to show you around. March weather can be great or there could be snow. You never know but there are lot of good trails nearby. If there's too much snow for riding, there are lots of bike shops to check out. There are four within walking distance of one another in downtown Golden alone. If interested, PM me and my Motolite! CK

mtbr member
    Check out Curt Gowdy state park between Laramie and Cheyenne http://www.imba.com/epics/curt-gowdy-state-park

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Seriously? I was kinda kidding, but that would be cool. Is there going to be a specific ride or location where the bikes will be available to demo other than that while you're in St. George?
    Can do something, KRob, if you can ride a medium. The Rockstsr will be in full shiggy mode with Midge dropbars and 185mm cranks.

Demos are on an invitation basis. You invite me to ride your trails and I set you up with a bike.

Right now it looks like I will be in Boise on Sat or Sunday, on to SLC, Curt Gowdy SP sounds fun, then Fort Collins/Boulder/Denver before arriving in Colorado Springs on Friday (18th), FRC show on the 19th, Salida on Monday and GJ/Fruita on the way to St George (arrive by Friday march 25).
    Looser plans after the GRIT. Thinking about Las Vegas.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by kingbozo
    Check out Curt Gowdy state park between Laramie and Cheyenne http://www.imba.com/epics/curt-gowdy-state-park
    Sounds good. Will the trail be open this early? Pretty high altitude.
    mtbtires.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Dude

You are talking about yourself in third person.

slow
    Sounds good. Will the trail be open this early? Pretty high altitude.
    Trails will likely still have snow next week.

These Dept of Transportation live cameras are located just south of the Curt Gowdy area and are usually a good indication of the amount of snow in the park.
    http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...I80Tavern.html
    http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...0Vedauwoo.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    You are talking about yourself in third person.
    Dud, you do not understand what that means
    mtbtires.com

Des(s)ert Rat
    Give me a holler when you're heading through the Grand Valley. I'll show you around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like your probably on the road by now, but just in case, a couple friends & I are looking at the 1st weekend in april for an Ancient Lakes ride. May camp if not toooo windy. Got some new cam equipment... gonna try to do some filmin' if the weathers good. May try for a 3 day'er (well, 2 nights & 2 1/2 days anyway) across the river in the Quilomene/Colockum wildlife areas as well in april if we can fit it in... the "out-back" of Washington...

Have a great trip! We'll get together one of these days and, seriously, being a "tire expert" & all, you should try to log in some time on a fat bike in it's element(s)(sand or snow). One of mine has LM's (65mm) and the other has 100mm rims. The 65's are like an all mountain ski and the 100's are like a powder only ski. When you do, don't be bashful, stop and adjust the pressure LOTs for "study" purposes. These set-ups are very pressure sensitive... small adjustments (even just 1/2lbs.) can dramaticlly change the charictaristics of the ride, handling and enjoyment of these bikes. I run mine as low as 4 psi ft. and 5 plus a little rr. in the really soft stuff. Let me know when your back in the niehborhood.

Members who have read this thread: 0