Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

Tell me where to go

It's time to plot next year's bike vacation(s), and I'm trying to decide where to go. I would like to do something I haven't done yet. I've already been to Moab (3-4x), Fruita (2-3X), CA bay area (2x), Phoenix (3x), Sedona (2x), Flagstaff, MaaDaaHey trail, Taos (2x), Santa Fe (2x), Idaho, Crested Butte (2x), Tahoe, and Downieville. What else has a week's worth of riding worth flying or driving all day to? Durango? I haven't hit the Carolinas, and what's in the White Mountains of NH? Any suggestions? What else should I put on the list and what are the good times of year to go there? Thanks folks!

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Want to vent?
    Give the western NC / eastern TN / north GA terrain a ride.....pisgah , tsali , ocoee, tanasi

Or out west get more into the CO mtns...ride the spots along Hwy 9 or I70 (mtn towns)...i usually roll thru there once a year visiting friends, hittin alot of ski town rides....killer singletrack

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

banned

quite a list so far

You've certainly made it to many of the best mountain biking destinations.

I'd put Bend, Oregon on the top of the list. So many great trails. McKenzie River is a nearby trail I still want to try near Bend. Last trip to Oregon I also stopped off and rode the loop around Waldo Lake, to the south of Bend. Tumalo Falls was one of my favorite trails.

Southern Utah is often overlooked as one of the premier locations for mountain biking. The trails are often close enough together to make it possible to ride a day or two in one spot and drive over to another location for more riding. Gooseberry Mesa is close to Brian Head and then Brian Head is very close to Reds Canyon, where you could ride for several days on beautiful trails and spend the afternoons hiking in Bryce Canyon National Park. You'll also be drivig past or through Zion National Park and you won't want to skip a short hike while you're there. If you have a full week, you can make a short drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and ride The Rainbow Rim Trail. I still have'nt ridden it but it is 19miles long and offers views of the Canyon.

Durango would offer some great trails and great views. Banff and Whistler, BC are beautiful locations to ride.

Most of these locations are covered in snow all through the spring and early summer. I tried to ride at tthe north rim of the Grand Canyon on the 20th of May and it was burried in snow. Band is at lower elevation and might be fine by Memorial Day. I might wait until July to travel in Canada. Don't forget to share your pictures with everyone here.

just along for the ride
    There is some great riding around Mt. St Helens in WA, I'd go in a heart beat..

mtbr member
    Yep. I agree with Titan. Head to the northwest. Bend OR, Mt. St. Helens area washington. Or head to Canada: BC... not just Whister, but also Penticton area , Alberta, Canmore, Banf etc.

So Utah: St. George, Hurricane Rim, Gooseberry, Brian Head would also be fun.

Or........ What about Europe and the Alps?? How much do you want to spend?

Binge Rider

National Lampoons Euro Tour

Sounds like you've pretty much been there, done that, & got the T-shirt as far as some of the best riding places go. That would make bike vacations more difficult. You need to become a world class rider and head outside of the States. I'm headed to Chamonix, France next summer, you can come with us if you want. Little bit of a trip to get across the pond though. Check out some of the pics at www.10fifty.com if you haven't seen it. One of the benefits of living here in Germany is getting a chance to ride some of the greatest places other than Moab, Gooseberry, etc etc. The German / Austrian Alps were nice along with the Dolomites in Italy. Germany has some nice trails too where I live. If I were Stateside I would looking at some place Tamarac, Idaho or someplace smaller since you've hit all the big ones already. Enjoy -- Spine Shank
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Oakridge, Oregon. You could ride everyday for a month and not repeat a trail and not get bored with the terrain. June-October though the high country is best from mid August-September.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Official Cooler Inspector
    As I recall... you were supposed to come to WNC many years ago for the first Bent Creek Boogie, but you wussied out due to some little broken bone thing or something. Not sure if you coupon has expired....

mtbr member
    Durango has weeks worth of riding, usually between April and October. Fun downtown, great weather, good camping and lots of hotels.
    If you don't have fun riding here, you just don't like mountain biking, or really hate climbing.

If you need any help planning a trip here, pm me.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

There's no app for this.

FWIW I'd be inclined

to listen to shiggy, Oregano is really nice where he rides. I nearly fell asleep riding Bend (but hey, that's me) McKenzie trail is scenic but it's a cow path vis a vis challenging riding. I'd say anywhere between Portland and north into Canada would be a welcome change for you in terms of terrain, challenge, and diversity.

Or you can cover yourself in pillows and duct tape and we'll do Whizzler! Wheeeeeeeeee. thud.

How've ya been?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    As I recall... you were supposed to come to WNC many years ago for the first Bent Creek Boogie, but you wussied out due to some little broken bone thing or something. Not sure if you coupon has expired....

Thank goodness that little broken bone thingy is all behind me (2 surgeries, 1 plate, 8 screws, 2 pins and a tendon transfer). Is my coupon still good? I still have some BCBBG stickers on the dresser. What's the best time of year to boogie down to Bent Creek or that neck of the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Oakridge, Oregon. You could ride everyday for a month and not repeat a trail and not get bored with the terrain. June-October though the high country is best from mid August-September.
    Ok, that one goes on the list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Go King
    You've certainly made it to many of the best mountain biking destinations.

I'd put Bend, Oregon on the top of the list. So many great trails. McKenzie River is a nearby trail I still want to try near Bend. Last trip to Oregon I also stopped off and rode the loop around Waldo Lake, to the south of Bend. Tumalo Falls was one of my favorite trails.

Southern Utah is often overlooked as one of the premier locations for mountain biking. The trails are often close enough together to make it possible to ride a day or two in one spot and drive over to another location for more riding. Gooseberry Mesa is close to Brian Head and then Brian Head is very close to Reds Canyon, where you could ride for several days on beautiful trails and spend the afternoons hiking in Bryce Canyon National Park. You'll also be drivig past or through Zion National Park and you won't want to skip a short hike while you're there. If you have a full week, you can make a short drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and ride The Rainbow Rim Trail. I still have'nt ridden it but it is 19miles long and offers views of the Canyon.

Durango would offer some great trails and great views. Banff and Whistler, BC are beautiful locations to ride.

Most of these locations are covered in snow all through the spring and early summer. I tried to ride at tthe north rim of the Grand Canyon on the 20th of May and it was burried in snow. Band is at lower elevation and might be fine by Memorial Day. I might wait until July to travel in Canada. Don't forget to share your pictures with everyone here.

I actually road in the Brian Head area for a week this September, but forgot to add it to the list. Hit Red Canyon, Brian Head, Gooseberry Mesa and the Virgin River Rim trail. I'd have posted pics, but they're on the hard drive of my old computer that won't boot. I bought a new computer, but am sending it back because it's a lemon, and the manufacturer can't tell me when they'll have a new motherboard. Hopefully, the one in transit to me will actually function, and I'll put the old drive in as a second hard drive and be able to recover all my pics. I've got my fingers crossed that they're not lost forever..... :^(

Sounds like I need to do some more research on the Northwest. You and several posters make Oregon sound like a good place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    to listen to shiggy, Oregano is really nice where he rides. I nearly fell asleep riding Bend (but hey, that's me) McKenzie trail is scenic but it's a cow path vis a vis challenging riding. I'd say anywhere between Portland and north into Canada would be a welcome change for you in terms of terrain, challenge, and diversity.

Or you can cover yourself in pillows and duct tape and we'll do Whizzler! Wheeeeeeeeee. thud.

How've ya been?

Jim
    I'll go to Whizzler when they perfect the full-body airbag, like that thing the Mars rovers used. ;^P

Thanks to hot plastic body armor, I've been doing great and haven't broken anything in the last 3 years. Goin' for a record! Oh, wait, that is a record, for me.... Got a boyfriend and a new job that keeps me too busy to post a whole lot. And I couldn't post the pics from my last vacation because my computer ate them (see sob story above).

How's the new house?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Ok, that one goes on the list. Thanks!

You could come out for MtBike Oregon ( http://www.mtbikeoregon.com ) and then stay over to get in more riding
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spine Shank
    Sounds like you've pretty much been there, done that, & got the T-shirt as far as some of the best riding places go. That would make bike vacations more difficult. You need to become a world class rider and head outside of the States. I'm headed to Chamonix, France next summer, you can come with us if you want. Little bit of a trip to get across the pond though. Check out some of the pics at www.10fifty.com if you haven't seen it. One of the benefits of living here in Germany is getting a chance to ride some of the greatest places other than Moab, Gooseberry, etc etc. The German / Austrian Alps were nice along with the Dolomites in Italy. Germany has some nice trails too where I live. If I were Stateside I would looking at some place Tamarac, Idaho or someplace smaller since you've hit all the big ones already. Enjoy -- Spine Shank
    Yeah, I've been biking seriously for 25 years, and have taken at least one bike vacation per year for the last 20. If I add road bike trips, we go international - New Zealand, Canada, Germany and Austria. Hadn't thought about Europe for mtbiking, tough. What kind of riding will you see in Chamoinix? Stuff like the Rockies? Got pics of Germany? Getting to Europe isn't all that bad from here on the East Coast. It can take just as long to get across the US if I have to change planes, which I usually do. The time change is always a shock to the system, though.

mtbr member

The best bike vacation I ever had

The best bike vacations I ever had were crossing the Alps. I did that 3 times. North to south, south to north and a loop. If you have not done that you got one big bike adventure still in front of you.

Why to do it... It is awesome. The scenary is simply gorgeous and you will be hitting one dream trail after the other. It is not an out-and-back one day trip but making real distance over days. Just cycling, sight seeing and more cycling. At the end you feel you've achieved something. You made it

It is convinient... Unlike the US the Alps do have a tight net of streets and dirt roads/trails. There are plenty of explored and documented routes cross the alps. And there are little mountain hotels called Hutten all over the Alps. So you can ride for days in one general direction and sleep every night in a real bed (after a hot dinner).

It is adventurous... All you need for up to 14 days of biking in the Alps is in your rucksack. Basically you carry a second set of cloths, hygene pack, maps and tools. You ride along trails you have not seen before. You pick your route and discover trails for you. You meet other bikers and exchange news and experiences.

It is affordable... You carra a bit of cash to buy food during the day and pay your room in the morning. Credit cards don't work well in the Alps, but the Euro does. Trail head to trail head a 10 day's trip cost me 600 Euro - all inclusive.

You can book complete guided trips or you can go on your own. But you should not plan to go alone. If you seriously considering doing a cross the Alps you should visit the German counter part of the MTBR forum and post a questions for hints there. Chaps dort speak English, too and are happy to help. You'll get all you need to make a final decision.

Post at: http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11 (Reisen, Routen und Reviere)

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Hmmm. Washington Oregon have heaps of tastness waiting to be ossified into memories.

Brian Head area has always treated me right.

Heck, here's fodder:

http://www.anthonysloan.com/Cycling_Destinations.html

I've heartily approved of all of those places.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You could come out for MtBike Oregon ( http://www.mtbikeoregon.com ) and then stay over to get in more riding
    Be sure to check the videos on the mtb oregon site. There are also pics and video of the area on the DOD site (link in my sig).
    mtbtires.com

A Guy Who is Going Places
    We've had a family meeting here at the casa de MTB and we've dcided the best tonic is a car with a full tank of gas, a credit card, a bike, and no maps whatsoever. Seek:Find. Heck, you can even do that in reverse order.

http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ever consider the black hills of south dakota?

mtbr member
    I really like the first pic of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, yum! Who spilt the beer in second pic. Bad, bad, person.

try driving your car less
    I just did a trip this fall to the NW. I rode out of Leavenworth WA. Tons of awesome riding. Mt St Helens is awesome. Cheap flights and rental cars in Seattle. Portland is a cool city, too.

And to echo some others... if you have been to all of those places in the USA... go outside of the country for a real adventure. I went to Finale Ligure Italy and it was awesome. On the bike and off. Garda is great, too. I wrote up my trip to Finale Ligure, if you cant find it in the search function, PM me.

The next chance I can I will go to Copper Canyon, Mexico. I dont see the opportunity coming anytime soon, but I want to get there someday.
    Only boring people get bored.

Samsonite Tester
    The goodness of Oakridge Fat Tire Fest.

This way we go.

The fireroad was short. To this mild climb.

Then miles upon miles of this. (-8
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Fartographer

Hmmmm

Carolinas and Eastern Tenessee. That's been on my list for a while. Check it out for me!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Samsonite Tester
    ORFTF Alpine trail

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Samsonite Tester
    Darn pic uploaded too small.

Last edited by Evel Knievel; 11-30-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    It's time to plot next year's bike vacation(s), and I'm trying to decide where to go. I would like to do something I haven't done yet. I haven't hit the Carolinas, Any suggestions? What else should I put on the list and what are the good times of year to go there? Thanks folks!

Western North Carolina for sure! Best time of year? well, the best time to hit Pisgah is when the seasonal trails are open ( must do's are Bennett Gap/ LongBranch/Butter Gap) ! which is from 15 Oct to 15 April. the best in my opinion is the October, weather is mild and the colors are awesome. April is fun but the weather is unpredictable.. could be 30 could be 80. more likely to see rain in the Spring

Other Great Pisgah trails are Black Mountain, Laurel Mtn, Pilot Rock, Daniel Ridge, Mulinax, South Mills/Cantrell Creek, Trace Ridge / Spencer Gap / Big Creek

then Bent Creek has some fun rides as well. Ingles Field Gap / Lower Sidehill are great fun
    then Dupont has 80 miles of trails and great scenery, not as technically challenging, but still a lot of fun!

Kitsuma and HeartBreak Ridge are awesome rides over east of Asheville in Black Mountain.

then there's always Tsali (just to say you did it) Good trails (a lot of traffic except February )
    Attached Images Attached Images

beer thief
    Hey, I'd be glad to give you a tour or two of the eastern White Mtns. There is tons of riding, but local knowledge definitely helps. It could be an easy weekend trip for you, help save some cash for a good western tour. Salida, CO is high on my list.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Thank goodness that little broken bone thingy is all behind me (2 surgeries, 1 plate, 8 screws, 2 pins and a tendon transfer). Is my coupon still good? I still have some BCBBG stickers on the dresser. What's the best time of year to boogie down to Bent Creek or that neck of the woods?

I checked, and there is no expiration date on the offer. Considering you have virgin BCBBG decals, I can personally assure you a welcome in the WNC area. There is no specific time that's best to Boogie in Bent Creek, or the surrounding areas, that am aware of it. Tourists seem to prefer the spring and fall though.

Now if you'd come to BCBBG #2 - not only would you have had a chance to win these socks, you could have met this guy:

Anyone know what became of him? Or the socks, for that matter...
    Last edited by M-U-M; 11-30-2005 at 01:48 PM.

Gittyup!
    That's a nice "been there, done that" list you got goin'

You didn't mention where in Idaho (there a lot to choose from!). If you haven't been already, I'd put Sun Valley on the short list. Great spot to take a vacation, and great frickin' riding all around. Locals are super friendly as well. Be ready for some pretty nasty climbs though. But the gravy, downhill goodness that follows is so worth it. And if you go, do not miss Little Basin Creek. One of my favorite all time rides. Here are some pics:

http://gittyup.net/Idaho.htm

... my personal favorite....

And for a blog-esque description of what you'll find in SV, see:

http://gittyup.net/august_trip_log.htm

... starts on August 20th entry.

Also on the shortlist would be Oakridge. A silly amount of choice single track, incredible views, great climbs and descents, and if you see more than 3 other people on the trail, that's a busy day.

Good luck!

It's time to plot next year's bike vacation(s), and I'm trying to decide where to go. I would like to do something I haven't done yet. I've already been to Moab (3-4x), Fruita (2-3X), CA bay area (2x), Phoenix (3x), Sedona (2x), Flagstaff, MaaDaaHey trail, Taos (2x), Santa Fe (2x), Idaho, Crested Butte (2x), Tahoe, and Downieville. What else has a week's worth of riding worth flying or driving all day to? Durango? I haven't hit the Carolinas, and what's in the White Mountains of NH? Any suggestions? What else should I put on the list and what are the good times of year to go there? Thanks folks!

evs
    mtbr member

Take Radair up on his offer...

and you can stop by my place and ride Vietnam before heading up the next day to NH, then we can head up to NH and ride his trails.It would be great if we could get a mini gathering to ride Radairs Trails.I remember him posting about an epic ride once and the views from the cliffs are great.Nothing like a nice epic to think about and get you through the approaching winter.I rode to Sawyer Pond once and that is a great swimming hole that's practically in his back yard.I think NH has many under appreciated trails that don't get there due and it would be nice for a local to show us the way. Nice bike dreaming trips :-)

evs
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

mtbr member

Wow! If ya haven't been there yet, Durango & SW Colorado beckon. Do it! Do some days in DGO, head for any of the other awesome destinations in the San Juans & environs, like Salida, Crested Butte, Gunnison, and so on. Or just make a week of it in Durango - it'd be very easy to that!

glen
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I'm bookmarking this thread! Sounds there are a *lot* of great places yet to see that should keep me entertained for my next 25 years of riding. ;^P

Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    [I]

Now if you'd come to BCBBG #2 - not only would you have had a chance to win these socks, you could have met this guy:

Anyone know what became of him? Or the socks, for that matter...
    I don't recognize the guy or the socks, but that is some gorgeous woodwork you've got there!

Will there be a BCBBG #3?

Quote Originally Posted by evs
    and you can stop by my place and ride Vietnam before heading up the next day to NH, then we can head up to NH and ride his trails.It would be great if we could get a mini gathering to ride Radairs Trails.I remember him posting about an epic ride once and the views from the cliffs are great.Nothing like a nice epic to think about and get you through the approaching winter.I rode to Sawyer Pond once and that is a great swimming hole that's practically in his back yard.I think NH has many under appreciated trails that don't get there due and it would be nice for a local to show us the way. Nice bike dreaming trips :-)

evs
    Hmmmmm. Mini-gathering? Sounds like it could be interesting. Could have a day or half a day of trail work in there, too? Looks like I could learn a lot from the Master. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=148714

Last edited by Lucky; 12-04-2005 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add link

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I'm bookmarking this thread! Sounds there are a *lot* of great places yet to see that should keep me entertained for my next 25 years of riding. ;^P

Come to NC and you could meet this guy!

here today
    Kathy,

La Suisse Normande in France is wonderful. And a totally different trip.
    old fart cyclist

beer thief
    Sorry, I know I mentioned giving you guys a tour and I just got tied up with work, kids, trail projects, blah, blah.

Send me your email addies and I'll do it next summer, OK?

Members who have read this thread: 0