Notso proud Schwinn Rider
    Jan 2011

Strangest Sensation Passion

I just picked up my bike from its tuneup at my LBS. So I went out on the nearest single track I could find to put in a quick ride.

After putting in 30 minutes, I had to head back to the office. On the way, my truck started to slow down a bit. Instead of pressing down on the gas, I started to Pedal, like I was still on my bike.

Strange indeed.
    Hey! Whatsa matta You? Gotta no respect! Whata think you do? Why you looka so sad? Itsa nicea place! Hey! Shaddap you face!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDaniels
    I just picked up my bike from its tuneup at my LBS. So I went out on the nearest single track I could find to put in a quick ride.

After putting in 30 minutes, I had to head back to the office. On the way, my truck started to slow down a bit. Instead of pressing down on the gas, I started to Pedal, like I was still on my bike.

Strange indeed.
    Every time I get into my car right after a ride, I have the feeling that I'm still on my bike. Haven't pedaled yet, but I've come close a few times.

mtbr member
    I drive a manual transmission and I've caught myself trying to double-clutch a couple of times. I also catch myself trying to rail the curves. Terrible.
    Edit: I also find myself pushing forward and down on the steering wheel and trying to shift my weight back when cresting a small hill after leaving my favorite trail. Embarrasing.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Try coming off of a motocross bike and on to a MTB. Pull in the clutch on a mountain bike and you on your face!

Not that I know from experience...

Jeff

mtbr member
    I think the day I grab the steering wheel really hard with my index fingers instead of stomping the brakes I will truly be in trouble.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Terrain Sculptor
    It only happens when I've been riding for a couple of days on a local island. I get off the ferry and jump in my truck to drive home. 40mph is way too fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've yanked on the steering wheel in vain trying to bunny hop pot holes
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    I try to also mentally park my bike when I put it back on the hitch rack, before I start my SUV and drive off.

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniels

Strange indeed.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I did an enduro ride out on the desert one time on a motorcycle, and on the drive home, found I was trying to use body English to lean my truck around corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE
    Try coming off of a motocross bike and on to a MTB. Pull in the clutch on a mountain bike and you on your face!

Jeff

I did this once after getting on my bike after having ridden my motorcycle everyday for a couple months. Was slowing down to stop to talk to a friend, so naturally grabbed clutch. I was going just fast enough that I went all the way over the bars. I was laughing out loud before I was even all the way over. I still chuckle when I think about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    After i started using clipless pedals i got this weird feeling that i wanted to clip into the gas pedal.

Let the bikes in!

Jeff
    Or you get your nuts smashed on your stem. Good times... not!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've done the bunny hop thing, pulling into my drive way and trying to bunny hop the car over the curb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisem
    I've done the bunny hop thing, pulling into my drive way and trying to bunny hop the car over the curb.
    Are you sure that wasn't the post ride beer?
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride a bike much more, than I drive my car. Yet, oddly enough, every time I am mounting the bike, I try to fasten the seat belt.....and feel a bit strange, when can't find it.

mtbr member
    I like at the beginning of a SS ride when your lungs are screaming and you're desperately reaching for the downshift that isn't there. Oh well, I guess there's a price for being a Hipster.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    After a good ride, I tend to note that I drive recklessly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Are you sure that wasn't the post ride beer?
    I'm pretty sure I was straight. Was about 10 years ago though, so can't be too sure now.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Jeff
    Thanks Cycle, 40 years of riding dirt and street on moto and bicycle. Now I will think about that damn clutch - brake change and lawn dart myself for sure.

Off the back...
    After spinning up hill for 20 minutes, I stand and crank for a few minutes and get this sensation... it's more of a tingling...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

banned
    Jun 2007
    While driving after a good ride.. I notice heightened senses, and I find myself picking different lines, and railing corners. Often this is on the way to the post ride brew/burger.

Bro Mountainbiker
    After i started using clipless pedals i got this weird feeling that i wanted to clip into the gas pedal.
    The worst is the immediate feeling of dread that your right foot is clipped into the gas pedal when you need to make a sudden stop. Haha i have a few 1/2 second panic attacks on my way home from the trails.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I think I've done most of what everyone is saying except pedaling and strangely when I switch from motorcycle to bicycle or back I never get the brakes clutch mixed up. I guess I have been on both long enough for it to be ingrained because I don't have to think about it and it has often surprised me that I don't have to..

I have thought quite a lot about trying to set up a dirtbike with right lever rear brake, left lever front brake with a second stubby lever for the clutch on the left kind of like a hot start lever. I run Recluse on all my dirtbikes, which rocks btw, so I don't need to clutch too much and KTMs hydraulic clutches are easy pull especially with a Recluse.

The reasons I have thought of doing this are several. One is that since you use the front brake more it would be nice to split throttle and brake to 2 hands. Also I can really modulate my braking a lot better with my hands on my bicycles than with a hand and a foot on a dirtbike. Actually the only way I can use the rear brake if I am riding up on the tank is to lift my foot off of the peg and then stomp on the brake, considering stiff boots with little ankle flex. If I set the brake pedal angled down enough to catch it without taking my foot off the peg it would catch on trail stuff and get bent back and if I'm back on the seat I couldn't reach it.

So maybe someday I'll do my MTB brake mod to a dirtbike.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

meow meow
    ive tried to bunnyhop my car a few times. i think the longer wheel base is whats keeping me down.

Members who have read this thread: 0