mtbr dismember

Some local California passion

I don't usually post "local" rides here, but it seems we've been lacking trail photos in this forum lately. The forecast called for up to one foot of snow for the Sierra foothills today. But when I woke up this morning and checked the weather, the snow had missed the Auburn State Recreation Area by only a few miles. And the prediction was for plenty of sun but cool. But after riding in the cold rain last week, sunny and dry sounded fine to me.

The Auburn State Recreation Area is a huge forest about 30 miles east of Sacramento. It is my favorite non-Tahoe local place to ride. There was a bit of frost, some leftover hail, iced over puddles, and still frozen trails in the shaded areas. But the trails were in great shape. I didn't set any speed records. I was just happy to be in the sun and I stopped to take a few photos here and there.

Hillsides of Manzanitas in bloom. Hummingbirds going crazy over them.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    That is one hell of a local ride. I could definitely use more of these posts. How else am I to properly daydream when I'm at work? Great snaps. Thanks!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Beautiful! I'm jealous!! Weather forcast predicted rain down here so I was stuck on the trainer today Worst part was IT DID NOT RAIN!!!! just threatened to all day!

mtbr member
    Nice! That's a pretty serious ride....with some serious elevation gain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    wow

mtbr member
    Your pics make me want to ride so bad. You are very lucky to call that local.

Meat Clever
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Wow.......
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nice!

I run those trails every time I visit friends in Auburn and can't help but envision riding there. I have been out a couple of times when the lower trails are are marked for the Western States and always wondered why they don't run a MTB race over the same trail, either before or after the run. It seems lke it would be an awesome ride!

mtbr member
    Crazy..... 5000 ft

US Soccer
    That's awesome dude!

I would love to have that kind of area to ride in.

Too bad yall get EQ's or I would move that direction.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud
    That's awesome dude!

We get an earthquake (a bad one) every what, hundred years or so? Memorable ones were in 1906 and 1989, apparently we're due for another big one soon, even in 1906 the fire caused more damage than the quake. The small quakes are fun though, just a bit of shaking, it feels like a roller coaster or something...
    I'm assuming you're on the East/South coast? Hurricane season? What the hell is a natural disaster season??

Wherewolf, every time I'm on 80 going through Auburn I think of all the unknown trails in those mountains.... Hopefully I'll be moving east into the Sierras next year.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

used to be RipRoar
    ...plus you can grab an Ikeda's burger on your way home!

mtbr dismember

Earthquakes

California is a huge state and only a few places, mostly near the coast, get earthquakes. In one year spent in Columbus, Ohio I experienced a bigger earthquake than I ever have in 20 years of living in California. I would bet that yearly hurricane damage in Mississippi greatly exceeds earthquake damage in California. And we have mountains to mountain bike in

avg. joe

Nice shots

Nice shots.

I've been so far under the radar lately, I don't think I can be called a lurker. But, it is nice popping in and seeing your pics.

STinGa
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Earth Quakes in Cal are overrated and so is the media reporting on them. dam ratings. They were promissing us the Mother of all rainstorms this week end.. It was all sunny!!.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Those shots are great. It looks like that would be an amazing place to ride. The flower shot is especially beautiful
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

born to chill
    Pretty awesome ride, I'm amazed the trail wasn't a mudpit, and damn brother 5k of elevation change.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

mtbr member
    One of my favorite loops! I always walk a little funny after doing that ride on my Singlespeed Great photos
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    ive gotta move to california

mtbr member
    As I was shoveling 5' of snow off my roof today. Man do I wish I was living in Auburn right now and not Truckee.
    Last edited by Martin6; 03-01-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Short-Change-Hero
    I am only a couple hours east of Auburn (Carson City, NV) and I still have about 3' of snow piled in my yard. God do I want to get out and ride but the storm from this last weekend and the one that is supposed to start Thursday threaten that.

mtbr member
    Very nice! Auburn is one of the areas I really want to visit this spring. Should be a nice drive down from Chico.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I got to ride those same trails a couple of weeks ago. A friend who lives in Auburn graciously lent me his Moots Ti 29er. I had never ridden a 29er before, and to ride these trails on that bike was just incredible. I was a little wobbly after that ride, especially coming back up the fence trail at the end of the day. Thanks for the stoke!
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I'm missing being "local" to those trails. Can't complain about SF/Marin though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Spectacular photos and some sweet looking singletrack! Nice post. Thanks.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    lol....earthquakes don't kill people - it's the crap dwellings we build, that does. Nice stoke!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Granny Gear Abuser

No good Seriously?!?!?

That's awesome dude!

You probably think that you turn GAY as soon as you cross into Cali too.

I would take my chances with quakes any day of the year. They last for what, a minute or two. A hurricane can have you locked down for hours. Wait what is this, is it over? It can't be. Then, your like, Damned eye of the storm here comes a few more hours of death and destruction.

Damn it I miss home.
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    moved to norcal in 89 , got there day of the earth quake, didn't deter me, didn't turn gay(had my first offspring there) left 2000 and miss it almost every day, great pics wow

Granny Gear Abuser
    Yeah, I lived there for 23 years until Uncle Sam moved me away, in '03, been back to visit but it hasn't been in the cards to move back

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I feel like this whole argument precipitated it.... I'm sorry everyone.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    I like all the arguments against California:

1. Earthquakes
    2. High cost of living (real estate)
    3. The gay (not sure why this is a negative)
    4. Marijuana (again, not sure where the negative is)
    5. Democrats!
    6. Illegal immigrants

Ridiculous right? Small price to pay for 840 miles of coastline, ocean/desert/mountain/valley/redwoods/wine country all within a half day's drive, big city life and small town charm, huge tracts of wilderness area and natural wonders. It also doesn't hurt that in most places it doesn't get much below freezing or more than 100F on more than a couple days each year. It's a wonderful place to live, work and play. Even if you live here and are poor, you can live a rich life!

Granny Gear Abuser

Wink Amen brutha!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing

1. Earthquakes
    5. Democrats!
    6. Illegal immigrants

Ridiculous right? Small price to pay for 840 miles of coastline, ocean/desert/mountain/valley/redwoods/wine country all within a half day's drive, big city life and small town charm, huge tracts of wilderness area and natural wonders. It also doesn't hurt that in most places it doesn't get much below freezing or more than 100F on more than a couple days each year. It's a wonderful place to live, work and play. Even if you live here and are poor, you can live a rich life!

Thanks for making me miss it more!!

Clydesdale by CHOICE!!!!!
    Hey man! That's the bridge on the Divide!!! shoot me a P.M. and lets go ride I'm always looking for people to ride with. It's been just dumping rain for the last few days now and is supposed to rain til Monday. I rode the Divide just last Sunday with my wife right before the storm rolled in and after seeing your pix I'm jonesin. With a camelback full of food you can be out there all day long exploring for hours upon hours.

Yeah I'm blessed to have this area as my local spot too, if I'm not out there then you can usually find me somewhere around Twin Rocks in Folsom. As far as the earthquakes go's I personally have never felt one and I've been here 32 years. Wow I keep re-editing before I read the whole post and want to chime in more. As far as cost of living.... These days with the price of homes around here plummeting you can be very comfortable on a blue collar income like mine. Shoot I'm still a renter but am getting closer to buying, as a matter of fact I have seen several homes in the low 100's that are located about twenty minutes from the Auburn area that you have pictured here in the original post. Peace!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

1. Earthquakes
    5. Democrats!
    6. Illegal immigrants

I do not have a problem with any of the points you mentioned above apart from immigration and a bloody car culture "traffic" which seems to be thriving in California. I am an immigrant myself and I particularly despise my countryman behaving like idiots and the same goes for other immigrants. And yes, pot should legalized asap.

When are you moving? I live in Westchester County, NY which is above average for road and mountain biking. I do not like winters though.

mtbr dismember

Maybe next time

Quote Originally Posted by rcp916
    Hey man! That's the bridge on the Divide!!! shoot me a P.M. and lets go ride I'm always looking for people to ride with.
    You missed this last week. There were no takers. I'm off to Arizona this weekend. But perhaps the next. However, I'm pretty slow and most people have a difficult time riding with me. Foothills are really starting to look nice and Springy.

California Kid

Here's a pic of mine and the wife's bike at the upper lot staging area last Sunday. We managed to get the ride in before the storm. Mine's the black one 04' Cannondale Chase w too much to list amount of upgrades and hers is a 09' Specialized Myka FSR comp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some local California passion-divide.jpg  

Des(s)ert Rat
    Gorgeous tunnels through the manzanitas!

mtbr dismember

Manzanita Trail

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Gorgeous tunnels through the manzanitas!
    That's the Manzanita Trail!
    I'm going to try some Arizona desert riding this weekend for something different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

1. Earthquakes
    5. Democrats!
    6. Illegal immigrants

Well... I'm a 4th generation Cali that moved out and will never go back....

No question that environmentally Cali is the on of the best places in the world to live. Loved it. Miss it.

But... 10% state income tax adds UP over the years if you are a professional. Investing that 10% makes a huge difference at retirement time.

Labor Laws suck -
    When I had my first business:
    8:30am- I had an employee leave at in one of my vans.
    10:30am- I get a call from the police. He has run a red light and t-bone a car.
    Instead of working, he went to bar and got stone drunk.

Guess what?
    I get to pay the entire tab. I even have to pay for the time he is getting drunk and my lawyer has to give me very specific instructions on how to let him go. If you just fire his rear for being a drunk and destroying equipment, he can come back and sue you under Cali labor laws.... Cool... How messed up is that?

Just for the record:
    We paid a full 50% better wages than the competition. Reasoning we would attract and keep better employees. That didn’t work our so well in this case….

mtbr member
    So where are you living now? Was the move purely for business reasons? I'm always interested in turning a new page and finding a place I'd like as much as northern California. Ft. Collins, CO is one of those places. Eugene/Springfield, OR is another. I kinda dig the small/mid size college towns near the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon
    Well... I'm a 4th generation Cali that moved out and will never go back....

No question that environmentally Cali is the on of the best places in the world to live. Loved it. Miss it.

But... 10% state income tax adds UP over the years if you are a professional. Investing that 10% makes a huge difference at retirement time.

Labor Laws suck -
    When I had my first business:
    8:30am- I had an employee leave at in one of my vans.
    10:30am- I get a call from the police. He has run a red light and t-bone a car.
    Instead of working, he went to bar and got stone drunk.

Guess what?
    I get to pay the entire tab. I even have to pay for the time he is getting drunk and my lawyer has to give me very specific instructions on how to let him go. If you just fire his rear for being a drunk and destroying equipment, he can come back and sue you under Cali labor laws.... Cool... How messed up is that?

Just for the record:
    We paid a full 50% better wages than the competition. Reasoning we would attract and keep better employees. That didn’t work our so well in this case….
    Sorry about your luck man. I too am self employed in construction and have to agree that it is a struggle to be a small business owner in this state.

meow meow
    awesome trail! reminds me a bit of a less sandy otis.

mtbr member
    Hey Wolf are there any directions on how to get to the trailhead? I live in Citrus Heights so it's not to far away from me. How would you rate this trail as in difficulty?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That place looks amazing, nice photography too bro

mtbr dismember

Try this

Try this. Right click on the arrow and choose directions to here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Try this. Right click on the arrow and choose directions to here.
    Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    How was AZ? The Auburn trails have got to be the SLOP for awhile : (

Members who have read this thread: 0