STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008

So Cal Winter Riding Video Clip

I gotta tell ya, the Winters here in So Cal are really tough. By that, I mean that it's hard not to go outside and enjoy yourself....

Check out this link and you'll see what I mean....

http://contour.com/stories/trail-riding-1-23-11--2
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Keep the rubberside down
    Dec 2004
    What is that? Dry dirt? I can tell you what....I won't give up my N.W. riding just yet. I get muddy yes, but I get a whole lot more of a view. Today it was of the Olympic Mountains all freshly covered in snow and Puget Sound. Yep you got a dry trail, but I got a view that is amazing. I won't be giving that up too soon. Just saying.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Grey Hair
    What is that? Dry dirt? I can tell you what....I won't give up my N.W. riding just yet. I get muddy yes, but I get a whole lot more of a view. Today it was of the Olympic Mountains all freshly covered in snow and Puget Sound. Yep you got a dry trail, but I got a view that is amazing. I won't be giving that up too soon. Just saying.
    Glad to hear it and I won't argue with you about the beautiful scenery up there. I was just making fun of our non-existant Winter weather down here, LOL!

mtbr member
    I have exactly the same problem

from PerfectZero on Vimeo.

Over the Hill
    That trail looked familiar but I don't ever remember seeing that old car of the side of the trail. What trail is that?

Dean

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    That trail looked familiar but I don't ever remember seeing that old car of the side of the trail. What trail is that?

Dean
    It's got many names but most call it Bent Arrow or Broken Arrow. The car has been there for many years.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero
    I have exactly the same problem

from PerfectZero on Vimeo.

Fun video, which trails?

mtbr member
    That's Backbone in mine. We were out there on the 22nd and rode MG/Broken Arrow as well. Definitely seemed narrower than I remember it before the rain!

b a n n e d
    Yup, we (PerfectZero and I) rode Westridge --> Broken Arrow --> Mulholland --> Hub --> WR Backbone

AmbassadorHawg, after you rode Broken Arrow and hit Mulholland, you turned right pretty quick . . . where does that take you and how do you get back to Mulholland from there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for posting this ambassadorhawg.

I remember those trails well. I really miss them, even though I've got beautiful trails in the NW now. Nice to see them again.

Do you have more?

DynoDon
    Thanks for posting, the more I see where others ride, the more I appreciate our trails in Michigan, we have snow now, we never have mud slides, smog or weather in the 100's, so we all probably get the same riding time, we just have much better places to ride. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    I was just making fun of our non-existant Winter weather down here, LOL!
    you bastards
    glad to see you're out enjoying it

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithecoid
    Thanks for posting this ambassadorhawg.

I remember those trails well. I really miss them, even though I've got beautiful trails in the NW now. Nice to see them again.

Do you have more?
    Yes! I rode the Backbone yesterday off Kanan. Here's part 1 and 2 of 3. When I get part 3 up, I will add it also..

http://contour.com/stories/backbone-...nyon-part-1--2

http://contour.com/stories/backbone-...-canyon-part-2

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Yup, we (PerfectZero and I) rode Westridge --> Broken Arrow --> Mulholland --> Hub --> WR Backbone

AmbassadorHawg, after you rode Broken Arrow and hit Mulholland, you turned right pretty quick . . . where does that take you and how do you get back to Mulholland from there?
    That's Caballero. It's a fun, fast one but as you can see, it was busy with hikers on the weekend....If you haven't done that one, definately do it. It drops you off near the South end of Reseda Blvd. I always park on Reseda, climb Caballero, turn left on Mulholland, go up that til I get to the overlook at Encino Res, take a drink of water, and then turn around and do Broken Arrow. From there, as you can see in my video, it completes the loop I started.

To get back to Mulholland at the bottom of Caballero, you can either backtrack and climb up or grind up the pavement of Reseda Blvd. which ends at Mulholland.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    cool beans. are you using a 1080p?

Stray Bullet
    +1 for the Santa Monic's footage. Can't wait to ride all that stuff tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Winter means erosion, greenery, and fantastic weather! Part of one of my lunch loops from last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASesuCR0m5A

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero
    cool beans. are you using a 1080p?
    It's a 1080 camera but it's set in 960. I was told that all the speed and shaking around with trail riding is too much for 1080. The pros say that 960 is as high as you'd want to use for fast, shakey action. 720 is also good but 960 is clearly sharper IMO.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7

You guys wanna do that loop this weekend?

since 4/10/2009
    No kidding erosion. What's with the ruts down the middle of all those trails in CA? Looks like a lot of fall line stuff.

I live in a sandbox and even my local trails don't get like that.

I also get nice weather this time of year (it was 70+ today), but it's also the "rainy season" if you wanna call it that. And I also don't ride much in the summertime when it hits 100 almost daily for months on end. When I do, it's at night.

I'd much rather have my offseason have lots of snow than feel like an oven.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack
    Winter means erosion, greenery, and fantastic weather! Part of one of my lunch loops from last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASesuCR0m5A
    Cool vid, thanks!

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    No kidding erosion. What's with the ruts down the middle of all those trails in CA? Looks like a lot of fall line stuff.

I live in a sandbox and even my local trails don't get like that.

I also get nice weather this time of year (it was 70+ today), but it's also the "rainy season" if you wanna call it that. And I also don't ride much in the summertime when it hits 100 almost daily for months on end. When I do, it's at night.

I'd much rather have my offseason have lots of snow than feel like an oven.
    The ruts make a smooth trail a 'lil technical...

mtbr member
    Cool videos and all but I wouldn't trade 4 seasons for anything.

Smuggler's Notch, VT

Over the Hill
    NMN I understand and I also like 4 season but in So-Cal we can have 4 seasons in the same day. We can snow ski in the AM, ride out Mt Bike on the way down the hill to surf in afternoon. I love the snow just don;t like dealing with it every day to get back and forth to work. Laguna Beach (to surf) to Mt Baldy (to ski) 62 miles and travel time about 1 hr 20 minutes...passing numerous places to MTB.

Dean

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    You guys wanna do that loop this weekend?
    Tomorrow (saturday) I'm riding BB from Kanan with a few folks from the forum. We're meeting at the trailhead near the tunnel at 10:00 if you'd like to join us. I'll check my PM's in the morning before I go . . . .

If we don't get rain, I'd be up for a Will Rogers loop on sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    NMN I understand and I also like 4 season but in So-Cal we can have 4 seasons in the same day. We can snow ski in the AM, ride out Mt Bike on the way down the hill to surf in afternoon. I love the snow just don;t like dealing with it every day to get back and forth to work. Laguna Beach (to surf) to Mt Baldy (to ski) 62 miles and travel time about 1 hr 20 minutes...passing numerous places to MTB.

Dean
    And as proof, yesterday I was here:

The ruts seemed worse than usual on that ride, but probably because we had some pretty heavy rain for the area last month.

Members who have read this thread: 0