mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Several Random Questions/opinions wanted

I have some questions that come in no particular order...with the questions, I am looking for opinions, not just answers...which is why I am putting here and not beginner's forum. Feel free to move it if the higher ups deem it necessary.

1) Why do we have an all mountain subsection and not an xc? This isn't a complaint, it's an honest question...The lines are very grey to me, and I don't consider myself that "new"

2) Why titanium over a carbon fiber frame? Price? Ti was huge in the roadie world and still is to some degree, but overall it seems fad-like to me. Doesn't seem as much of a "fad" here and more of a theme.

3) All these custom built frames/builds. Why not just go 2x10? Why 1x9 or 2x9? Just to be different or cost? 2x10 really is awesome. I promise.

I have others, but have to go now. And yes, I'm sure they've been covered before in random arguments. But I don't want this to spiral into a debate thread, just post your op and leave, or add. Please? Thank you.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I reserve the right to add more questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    reserved for more questions.

spec4life???..smh...
    1. we do have an XC racing and training section...other than that the whole sit is dedicated to xc mountain biking..

2. because they are just awesome..have you seen a kent ericksen frame..if you dont want one you shouldnt ride bikes...light, smooth and not prone to cracking in wrecks like carbon

3.personal preference..2x10 is cool but how many gears do you really need back there in the back..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleH
    I have some questions that come in no particular order...with the questions, I am looking for opinions, not just answers...which is why I am putting here and not beginner's forum. Feel free to move it if the higher ups deem it necessary.

1) Why do we have an all mountain subsection and not an xc? This isn't a complaint, it's an honest question...The lines are very grey to me, and I don't consider myself that "new"

2) Why titanium over a carbon fiber frame? Price? Ti was huge in the roadie world and still is to some degree, but overall it seems fad-like to me. Doesn't seem as much of a "fad" here and more of a theme.

3) All these custom built frames/builds. Why not just go 2x10? Why 1x9 or 2x9? Just to be different or cost? 2x10 really is awesome. I promise.

I have others, but have to go now. And yes, I'm sure they've been covered before in random arguments. But I don't want this to spiral into a debate thread, just post your op and leave, or add. Please? Thank you.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I reserve the right to add more questions.
    2. Personal preference. And Ti can cost more than CF.

3. I would prefer 2x6
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    3. If you wanna go with the pack, you can shave your legs, grab the lycra, and hop on the road bike! That said, I ride my road bike occasionally, and I prefer 1x1 on the mountain bike.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Unpredictable
    The only preferences and trends that matter in cycling are your own. In general I think we would all prefer to ride any old bike than not be able to ride at all. If you are lucky enough to be able to debate the merits of 2x10 over ... or Ti over CF, then you probably need access to facts.

This site offers that sort of access, but it would be nice to see fact more consistently. It is nice though when someone exposes their lack of knowledge with BS like "not prone to cracking in wrecks like carbon" It's not the 20th century. That opinion is already lost in time

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    This site offers that sort of access, but it would be nice to see fact more consistently. It is nice though when someone exposes their lack of knowledge with BS like "not prone to cracking in wrecks like carbon" It's not the 20th century. That opinion is already lost in time

canuck

I love warranty frames.

nothing to see here
    The answer to all your questions is...

Not everyone is the same as you, and probably just as well too.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Unpredictable
    What'd he say? Last time I heard that sort of discussion, Gee Atherton ended the chat with his line "Sweet Lycra..."

Anyway spec4life is happy cause the CF cracked in wrecks and the metal just didn't

Bugger, I'm now offending the OP by getting into debates about detail. Sorry mate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great passion post!
    whatever...

bicycle rider
    That's totally up to the moderators here. My guess; first there was mountain biking. For a long time it was just mountain biking, and trials. Then downhill evolved into existence in the mid- to late-90s. The concepts (marketing?) of "freeride", "all-mountain", "urban", "dirt-jumping", "bike-packing", "monstercross", etc. are more recent pigeon hole concepts. My gut feeling is that they are in part the melding of different styles of riding and in part a means to sell more bikes.

What was originally called "mountain biking" now falls into the category of "xc", simply because there was little or no suspension, or disc brakes, or high-volume tubeless tires back then, so you rode what "xc" riders ride, nowadays. We shredded tho.

Titanium itself is expensive to mine, produce, and the use of it in bicycles shares its market with military and aerospace industries. The alloys preferred for bikes are even more difficult to produce, and therefore expensive. It must be welded in a rarified environment by more highly-trained humans, and the cost of screwing up means it's less likely to get farmed out to unskilled labor. It's hard to cut or bend titanium, and the tools to do it are expensive.

Carbon fiber itself is pretty cheap to make, so are the resins and epoxies that it requires. There is a labor component, but an underage worker in a place with cheap labor and lax labor laws can build bikes with it cheaply and effectively. Equipment required are scissors, brush, air compressor, face mask and gloves. Once the molds and bladders are made, you can make them as fast as you want, following basic recipes. Carbon will continue to predominate. There's also more leeway for different design and construction methods with carbon fiber than there is with titanium.

Because a lot of people have 9spd drivetrains and parts already, and not everyone wants to drop a lot of coin on a completely new drivetrain. Additionally, the two companies driving 10spd rear ends - Shimano and SRAM - currently have a lock on the technology and market. The aftermarket is strong for 9spd - Middleburn, Race Face (sigh), KMC, FSA, etc. - but so far you are stuck buying Shimano or SRAM for 2x10. Also, no one likes new standards foisted upon them. Sometimes the new standards work, and win the market, and I think 2x10 will. (I have it on two bikes, will probably convert the third one.) It takes time for consumers to get used to a new paradigm, plus the less-fit are leary of the higher granny gear available in 2x10. That's a hard sell.

Morgan

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    That's totally up to the moderators here. My guess; first there was mountain biking. For a long time it was just mountain biking, and trials. Then downhill evolved into existence in the mid- to late-90s. The concepts (marketing?) of "freeride", "all-mountain", "urban", "dirt-jumping", "bike-packing", "monstercross", etc. are more recent pigeon hole concepts. My gut feeling is that they are in part the melding of different styles of riding and in part a means to sell more bikes.
    Totally up to the ADMINS. The Moderators can not make any changes to the forum format and do not make decisions about it.

This site basically started with two boards: Passion and Tech Talk.

If you want a new section, contact the Admins. It is all still just Mountain Biking.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Totally up to the ADMINS. The Moderators can not make any changes to the forum format and do not make decisions about it.

This site basically started with two boards: Passion and Tech Talk.

If you want a new section, contact the Admins. It is all still just Mountain Biking.
    I meant admins; the people that run the site. I agree, it's all just Mountain Biking. No need for new forums from me. This place has plenty of differentiation. Was just trying to show the OP how the site might have evolved. What some people now call "xc" is the "trunk" of mountain bike evolution.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is a visual representation of the polar opposite of this thread.

Last edited by Hellav8ted; 03-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Stucco Bucket
    reserved for more questions.
    WTH is this? Reserve the right to ask more questions? This isnt ebay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted
    This is a visual representation of the polar opposite of this thread.

Nice old CB.

Currently in Exile
    Random question:

Why did Mike Portnoy leave Dream Theater?

Random opinion:

I think the Daily Show is the most informative show about politics on TV.......or at least Comedy Central.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Random question:

Glam rock?

Random opinion:

I think the Daily Show is the most informative show about politics on TV.......or at least Comedy Central.
    I agree

Seems this should be in general discussion.....

Stucco Bucket
    Random question:

Random opinion:

To Pursue a career on Broadway?

Daily Is Great if you lean left.. If you dont, it sounds like a watered down version of whiney Bill Maher

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004

Some of us don't need 2 rings in the front and prefer simplicity.

meow meow
    fun fact: my cat is white and yellow.

Members who have read this thread: 0