Anytime. Anywhere.

Sedona, Flagstaff

I'm planning my winter vacation and am looking for a CHEAP place to stay in Sedona.

What's the riding like in Flagstaff during Dec?

Thanks
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

CHEAP and

Sedona? That would be a tent. The village of Oak Creek is a little cheaper and only a few miles from Sedona. Flag in the winter=snow bike. Head to Phoenix in December. It's about 90 minutes south of Sedona. Ride SoMo. Post on the AZ board and you'll find willing guides, usually. Bike shops; cheak out Bike and Bean in Sedona and Rage in Scottsdale/Phoenix.

No known cure

Cheap is relative...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I'm planning my winter vacation and am looking for a CHEAP place to stay in Sedona.

What's the riding like in Flagstaff during Dec?

Thanks
    My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sky Ranch Lodge this last June. $75 a night. Clean, quiet, great views and there's some fun singletrack around the airport on the mesa. For a shop, we received outstanding service from the guys at Bike N Bean. They also have room above the shop for rent. I'd call on that though. For eats, there's the Desert Flour Bakery down the street from BNB. Best sandwiches ever. The food at the airport next to SRL isn't too bad either. Can't wait to get back there.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member

Sedona

Sedona is the best but not the cheepest place to stay, real nice eats. I usually stay at the desert quail in Oak Creek which can be had at around $70 a night and is nice. Accross the street from them is the Visions???(I think) for about the same. Both are close to the trailhead across from Bike and bean. Don't know much about Flag other that it snows alot there. Never ridden in Tucson but I've herd it's the best for a winter vacation. Hurricane UT stays pretty free of snow & ice and has great trails.
    Last edited by slowrider; 11-11-2005 at 03:33 AM. Reason: lots

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Sedona is the best but not the cheepest place to stay, real nice eats. I usually stay at the desert quail in Oak Creek which can be had at around $70 a night and is nice. Accross the street from them is the Visions???(I think) for about the same. Both are close to the trailhead across from Bike and bean. Don't know much about Flag other that it snows alot there. Never ridden in Tucson but I've herd it's the best for a winter vacation. Hurricane UT stays pretty free of snow & ice and has great trails.
    I stayed at the hostel there for a month - really nice people and hardly anyone there during the winter months. You are smack dab in the middle of all the riding too (No need for a car to get to the trail heads)
    Single Accom: $30.00 / night
    Dorm: $15.00 / night

mtbr member
    I was in Flagstaff last winter, A bit of "hit and miss" with the riding. Mt Elden is pretty highup (I think around 7000ft +) and there was a lot of snow up there. I think you'll have a better time down in Sedona, weather wise, but if the conditions are good you have to ride Little Bear Loop - sweet 17.3mile loop. I climbed up the road - takes a while so get your legs ready!
    There is a Hostel downtown and is also pretty cheap (see my other post below) but good luck getting any sleep. One any given night you'll be awaken by 20-30 trains passing by the place. I'm NOT joking! The hostel actually sells you earplugs so you can get some zzzz's!
    Sorry for two posts - need to read AP better - oops

Just roll it......

Snow in Flagstaff will be possible.

In Sedona....someone already mentioned Bike and Bean as a good shop, but they also have 2 apartments above the shop you can rent. They aren't luxurious, but they have a bike stand on the balcony for working on your bikes and they're clean. Plus, the guys at the shop are great and they have coffee and smoothies served only steps from your place and riding right across the street. Give them a shout and see what kind of deal they'd give ya.

Haven't stayed at the hostel, but that sounds like a good option on the cheap.

Flagstaff is likely to have some snow at that time of the year.....but who knows.

EB

Loser

Wow

Way Out West in Tucson. Awesome riding right out the back door, CJ and ME make you feel comfortable. I can't remember how expensive it is, but its worth it! Hot tubs on the deck.

John

Anytime. Anywhere.

Hurricane

The hostel in Hurricane near St George was closed and for sale last winter. There used to be a hostel in Sedona but it's shut down as well. Last winter I just drove right through Sedona because I was in no mood for all the yuppie tourists looking for their newage fix
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 11-11-2005 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Members who have read this thread: 0