mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Riding in Paradise (long w/pics)

Riding in Hawaii...conjurs up images of magical trails zipping through lush forests and rippin' fast descents. I must confess that Hawaii does not rank high on my list
    of favorite places to ride. The volcanic rock can be quite treacherous, usually resulting
    in nasty painful cuts. Often the trailside drops down 100's of sheer feet, making one a bit
    more cautious in risk taking. With the slightest drop of rain, the red mud turns to
    slippery ice and will slam dunk you into the ground with the force of a WWF
    champion. Then there's the muck and slop mud covering the man eating sized
    roots to keep even the best of riders from staying upright. However, there is
    something to be said for the experience of mountain biking in Hawaii.

One of the reasons I am passionate about mountain biking is for the places it takes me.
    You find those secret spots, the road less traveled, the heights rarely reached by the
    average tourist. Not every trail can be as divine as CB's 401 or as thrilling as Fruita,
    but each trail delivers to me a unique sense of satisfaction and freedom I cannot
    otherwise achieve via my car or even on foot.

One of our top picks is at the northern tip of Oahu where the paved road ends (right
    across from the beach where those poor LOST souls have been stuck for a year).
    We usually park at the base of the cliffs of the Kealia trail . The 2.5 mile trail
    ascends 1600' with the first mile being major switchbacks into the cliffs. Therefore,
    we've always chosen to do the ride clockwise so that we descend the trail.
    Here you can see the "pali" in the background of which the trail ascends.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This day we decided to tag along with 3 locals that were going to go UP the trail. It
    was more of a "practice the obstacles over and over and over" ride. So we played
    along the first few yards.

Raja trying to avoid being cut by the razor sharp rock

The locals (and fellow mtbreviewers) showing us how it's done

Turn around, go back down, and try it again

and again

D'oh!

After saying goodbye, we decided to continue riding on what little part of the
    trail that was rideable. Looks harmless enough.

Gotta walk this. I know Leel and Tiggerider could have cleaned it easily.

K'endo and Skogan could definitely do this.

Awww! Finally a rideable section AND with a view.

Poser shot. If you look down to the left of my elbow, that part of the beach is
    where the first episodes of LOST were filmed with the airplane wreckage. Too bad
    they never realized there was a major road behind them to take them to civilization.

Beautiful views are always a good excuse to take a break

The cool thing about this climb is getting to watch the glider planes. The airfield
    below is where they are taken up (as well as skydivers). Sometimes they come
    sweeping by the cliffs so close you can see their face. There's no engine noise,
    of course, just the rushing "swoosh" of the glider sliding by like a bird. Other times you
    look up and see the dozens of parachutes open as the jumpers fall gracefully through
    the air. Roger has ridden in these gliders a few times, so here he lustfully watches
    as one zips effortlessly through the air.

In about a mile the singletrack tops out onto a red dirt road that continues to climb
    straight up (no more switchbacks). The only other sound you hear above the panting
    of your own lungs gasping for air, is the startling squawk of peacocks. They run
    through the brush with their big tails dragging behind, screaming out. It scares the
    living daylights out of you if you aren't expecting it. If you're real quiet you can catch
    them with their tails proudly displaying their brilliant colors.
    They are fast birds, and I've never been patient or fast enough to get a picture before
    it escapes.

The steeper a climb, the more level it appears on film....how is that? It's steep, and
    the legs feel better walking, plus it's faster than pedaling.

Now to my point: Here's a view that few, if any, tourist get to see. And all thanks to
    my mountain bike, I can savor in this beauty without any interruption.
    Yokohama Bay

Looking back at the North Shore, Hale'iwa, and the pineapple fields

Riding up and down along the ridge line of Peacock Flats, you get delicious treats
    of these views

I don't mind a dirt road like this

When we ride the route clockwise, it takes you down a paved road that rides inland up a
    more gentle ascent (1600' in 7 miles - guesstimate)

I'll even tolerate a paved road with these views.
    Mokule'ia Access Road. It's still a heck of a climb

But eventually you get to the dirt road that leads to the descent of Kealia Trail.

It's definitely more fun though to rip down the paved road, it's VERY fast and the
    views are awesome

Another good trail is the Maunawili trail, all singletrack with the view from some
    of the old Magnum PI episodes (the island off shore).

This trail is alledgedly a mtb trail, but we haven't figured out how to get the bikes
    up to it. Once again, Leel would go.
    Kaiwa Trail

THE best chocolate dessert in Hawaii. Call Raymond at Pah'kes in Kane'ohe to see
    if he's made any Chocolate Decadence for the day. MMMmmmmm divine.

When riding past this school, this shot of bicycles lined up outside struck me. Wouldn't
    it be cool to see that outside every school in the USA.

Guaranteed scenery everyday. Aloha! See you on the trails.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    awesome photos--i've ridden the dirt trails up there many times. The Maunawili too--which is a very slow tedious hihe/ride. My best friends here says it is pure nuts to attemp the Kealia in either direction.

other good trails include hau'ula, aiea and the ditch part of maunawili. Some of cambodia and pupukea is nice too.

Kaena Point along the shore is too easy. I found an alternate parking spot for the ditch trail and actually found a nice little 3 1/2 mile section heading slight uphill the other day. Wow nearly 7 miles of uninterrupted riding--I think a record fro Oahu.

Yes it is very very very beautiful---I prefer Texas trails though for their flow and rideability. 3 more months.

Thanks for sharing that gorgeous scenery though--always helps to have more than 1 view.

Oh I almost forgot---there's some fairly interesting riding at Camp Timberline--go to Shaka Bikes for directions and pay fee--check it out--some good stuff.

mtbr member

whooie Looks fun

You hav'nt been home long enough to be out of the county again. I"m to jealous.
    Looking forward to riding with you guys.
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

mtbr member
    Aloha C-Girl!!!

Great pictures and story. I've ridden that trail and pretty much seen all those views. Glad you're able to enjoy or islands and experience some "island kind" riding.

If you make it to the Big Island, give me a jingle. We'll go do some riding!!!

Enjoy, be safe and have fun.

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What pictures? I get the red "x" thingee.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post, nice job! The one picture that struck me the most is the one with the bikes at the school. Kinda like the small town concerts in the park my family attends every summer, that symbolizes all that was/is right in America...
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

mtbr member

Nice way to start my morning

One question which you may have answered but it's early and I'm not picking up everything quite yet.

Were the bikes rentals? If so, where did you rent them.

Hawaii is still on my list of places to go but the list is getting shorter and the time is getting nearer and I always want to tuck in some riding on my adventures if possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    One question which you may have answered but it's early and I'm not picking up everything quite yet.

Were the bikes rentals? If so, where did you rent them.

Hawaii is still on my list of places to go but the list is getting shorter and the time is getting nearer and I always want to tuck in some riding on my adventures if possible.
    We took our bikes on this trip, but there are bike rentals on the north shore - Raging Isle and another shop on Pupukea Rd at the Foodland (Country cycles or something like that). I'm sure Army SlowRider knows more on that than I do. The rentals can be okay, and sometimes not so okay. And they are on the expensive side. We've rented some "top line" ones from Raging Isle where the front forks kept topping out. So if you plan on doing alot of riding, pack your own. If it rains alot during your stay then you probably want to stick to the road...we've rented road bikes from a shop in Honolulu and did the Tantalus Road climb (cool climb). Good luck!

beer thief
    Great photos and entertaining narrative. I'm trying to figure out how Hawaii is on the way home from Italy, but can't quite connect. Lucky you!

My fave is also the bikes outside the school.

mtbr member

Thanks

I would most likely rent. I spent some time riding Norcal in October. One day around town on a pretty low-end commuter type bike, one day on a Blur. Both rides were equally fun so I'm not always concerned with the quality of the bike.

"Cheap" bikes often make not so technical riding more of a challenge anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Great photos and entertaining narrative. I'm trying to figure out how Hawaii is on the way home from Italy, but can't quite connect. Lucky you!

My fave is also the bikes outside the school.
    Been dragging my feet with getting the posts done after the respective trips. Here's the schedule....Hawaii Sept 4th, THEN Italy Oct 23rd. Sorry for creating the illusion of nonstop travel! Didn't know anyone was paying attention! Glad someone is keeping me honest.

pepito
    Jun 2004

Good job!

wow. beautiful.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sharp rocks

I can attest to the sharp rocks..went trail running in Hawaii a few years back, have scars to prove it, holy sh*t those rocks are lethal (ok, that was an exaggeration), but they dont look to dengerous until they get a little wet and then you fall, and its like falling onto a cheese grater...beautiful photos, nice trip!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Raging Isle will rent you a K2 Attack for 40$ or so a day. Check it over good unless shop owner and surfboard legend Bill Barnett personally takes care of you who will personally assure the bike is trail ready.

For a road bike rent at any of the three Bikeshophawaii locations. As CG mentioned, the Tantalus loop road climb is nice and very scenic. Ridden clockwise it will give you a very nice downhill on the way back in. Also for road, start near Diamond Head or Kahala Mall and ride out past Huanama Bay and Makapu to kailua and back for a nice 50 miler--be sure to do the big big STEEP kuilea ave hill toward the end of the return leg.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    LOL! Peacocks are so loud, they'll startle you even when you're expecting it. I too love the photo of all the bikes at school, and lament that it's such an rare sight. Thanks for the passion hit!
    - Joe

pewpewpew Moderator
    Great pictures, thanks! Looks like a fun trip.

I Just Ride....

Good job! Ride On!!

If that is what the riding in Hawaii is like, I am in for a big treat!!
    I'll be there come Christmas!
    But I'll be on Maui!

Can't Wait!!

Brian
    ALOOOOOOOOOOHA!!!!!!!!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

~~~~~~~~
    thanks chocolate girl, great pics and story. It's always helps our advocacy efforts to hear about peoples experiences with trail riding here in Hawaii and MTBR continues to be the best source.

As usual, anyone headed to Maui is encouraged to join us for some riding.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Wait a minute...weren't you just in Europe? I hate you.

I Just Ride....

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    As usual, anyone headed to Maui is encouraged to join us for some riding.
    You ROCK AIRWRECK!
    Even though I have already contacted you, I just wanted to put that out there!
    I'll see you next month!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    tried to redo the picture links. Hope this works.........

[QUOTE=chocolate girl]
    One of our top picks is at the northern tip of Oahu where the paved road ends (right
    across from the beach where those poor LOST souls have been stuck for a year).
    We usually park at the base of the cliffs of the Kealia trail . The 2.5 mile trail
    ascends 1600' with the first mile being major switchbacks into the cliffs. Therefore,
    we've always chosen to do the ride clockwise so that we descend the trail.
    Here you can see the "pali" in the background of which the trail ascends.

Photobucket

This day we decided to tag along with 3 locals that were going to go UP the trail. It
    was more of a "practice the obstacles over and over and over" ride. So we played
    along the first few yards.
    Photobucket
    Raja trying to avoid being cut by the razor sharp rock
    Photobucket
    The locals (and fellow mtbreviewers) showing us how it's done
    Photobucket
    Turn around, go back down, and try it again
    Photobucket

and again
    Photobucket

D'oh!
    Photobucket

After saying goodbye, we decided to continue riding on what little part of the
    trail that was rideable. Looks harmless enough.
    Photobucket

Gotta walk this. I know Leel and Tiggerider could have cleaned it easily.
    Photobucket

K'endo and Skogan could definitely do this.
    Photobucket

Awww! Finally a rideable section AND with a view.
    Photobucket

Poser shot. If you look down to the left of my elbow, that part of the beach is
    where the first episodes of LOST were filmed with the airplane wreckage. Too bad
    they never realized there was a major road behind them to take them to civilization.
    Photobucket

Beautiful views are always a good excuse to take a break
    Photobucket

The cool thing about this climb is getting to watch the glider planes. The airfield
    below is where they are taken up (as well as skydivers). Sometimes they come
    sweeping by the cliffs so close you can see their face. There's no engine noise,
    of course, just the rushing "swoosh" of the glider sliding by like a bird. Other times you
    look up and see the dozens of parachutes open as the jumpers fall gracefully through
    the air. Roger has ridden in these gliders a few times, so here he lustfully watches
    as one zips effortlessly through the air.
    Photobucket

In about a mile the singletrack tops out onto a red dirt road that continues to climb
    straight up (no more switchbacks). The only other sound you hear above the panting
    of your own lungs gasping for air, is the startling squawk of peacocks. They run
    through the brush with their big tails dragging behind, screaming out. It scares the
    living daylights out of you if you aren't expecting it. If you're real quiet you can catch
    them with their tails proudly displaying their brilliant colors.
    They are fast birds, and I've never been patient or fast enough to get a picture before
    it escapes.
    Photobucket

The steeper a climb, the more level it appears on film....how is that? It's steep, and
    the legs feel better walking, plus it's faster than pedaling.
    Photobucket

Now to my point: Here's a view that few, if any, tourist get to see. And all thanks to
    my mountain bike, I can savor in this beauty without any interruption.
    Yokohama Bay
    Photobucket

Looking back at the North Shore, Hale'iwa, and the pineapple fields
    Photobucket

Riding up and down along the ridge line of Peacock Flats, you get delicious treats
    of these views
    Photobucket

I don't mind a dirt road like this
    Photobucket

When we ride the route clockwise, it takes you down a paved road that rides inland up a
    more gentle ascent (1600' in 7 miles - guesstimate)
    Photobucket

I'll even tolerate a paved road with these views.
    Mokule'ia Access Road. It's still a heck of a climb
    Photobucket

But eventually you get to the dirt road that leads to the descent of Kealia Trail.
    Photobucket

It's definitely more fun though to rip down the paved road, it's VERY fast and the
    views are awesome
    Photobucket

Another good trail is the Maunawili trail, all singletrack with the view from some
    of the old Magnum PI episodes (the island off shore).
    Photobucket

This trail is alledgedly a mtb trail, but we haven't figured out how to get the bikes
    up to it. Once again, Leel would go.
    Kaiwa Trail
    Photobucket

THE best chocolate dessert in Hawaii. Call Raymond at Pah'kes in Kane'ohe to see
    if he's made any Chocolate Decadence for the day. MMMmmmmm divine.
    Photobucket

When riding past this school, this shot of bicycles lined up outside struck me. Wouldn't
    it be cool to see that outside every school in the USA.
    Photobucket

Guaranteed scenery everyday. Aloha! See you on the trails.
    Photobucket

what nice teeth you have
    I've been there! Quit possible one of the best days of my life. Nothing better than cooling off in the ocean after a long hard ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0