Demon Cleaner

Riding Central California way...

Since today was a holiday and the weather has been so nice, I decided to get out for an AM ride. Lacking company, I decided to bring the camera and have fun taking pictures along the way. I know I've enjoyed reading many other's passion posts over the years--especially when stuck inside because of weather or injury or work or whathaveyou--so now I'm sharing my own ride. The photography doesn't live up to the high standards of most folks set here, but it's always fun to see new trails right?

The first photo is the road up under the old RR trestle. About two miles of dirt road, then single track and double track up to the top of the grade in the background. Then a photo from the top looking towards the Pacific (hazy today, it's been super clear lately, but today you can't even see Morro Rock or the ocean.) Another picture looking inland. Then the trail down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Demon Cleaner

Been hot lately, but perfect riding weather today

It has been in the 80s for the last week, and while I enjoy it, it was on the hot side for riding. Today started in the low 60s and is now around 70. Perfect riding weather.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure
    It has been in the 80s for the last week, and while I enjoy it, it was on the hot side for riding. Today started in the low 60s and is now around 70. Perfect riding weather.

hell of a way to build up your appetite for turkey day. great pics!

Demon Cleaner

A few more to finish it out.

Got to love a holiday. Long ride in the AM. Gyros for lunch. Then a hike up Cerro San Luis in the afternoon. ahhh.

It's the axle

You'll never believe this.

I almost bought 100 acres that is the property on the left of the first picture.
    I miss that area so much.

The rollers!

Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

bonkin' clyde

Almost??

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    I almost bought 100 acres that is the property on the left of the first picture.
    I miss that area so much.

The rollers!

Thanks for bringing back fond memories.
    Dude, you should've bought it. trails right outta the backyard!
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

trail rat
    And the rest of us poor slobs have to ride 1.6 miles from downtown where I live to get to this point.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

It's the axle

It was questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by bluronthetrails
    Dude, you should've bought it. trails right outta the backyard!
    The price was right. But water was a possible issue. And no trees. So I opted for Humboldt county. I don't regret it. Besides, I wore those trails out in SLO.

I'll never forget the morning it snowed there. I rode up the rollers to the top of the grade, and rode down the highway while all the cars were stopped. People thought I was nuts.

just along for the ride
    Still kind of simple life here here in SLO, ride and relax and let the rest of the world find their own way. Enjoy nocal!

just along for the ride
    Hey you ever find the old mine shaft swimming hole up there? Well worth it, have fun!

mtbr member
    Sucking Fweet! Thanks
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

just along for the ride
    Love to hammer it right about here:

just along for the ride
    One from late January winter is prime here!

SingleTrackSal

Love it Brother!

You know how to live!!!

Who needs football when you have FSR???? Beautiful pics, makes me wish I had a bike built!

It's the axle

Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Love to hammer it right about here:

It's not the back side of Madonna. But it kind of looks like it.

Also, where is Batista ranch?

I still love it down there. There's 80 acres of land up in See Canyon that I am drooling over. I can't stop thinking about the area. And I still haven't explored the possible trail from Atascadero to the ridge.

Waaaaa. I'm getting all nostalgic.

mtbr member

Thanks for the pix.

I used to live in Grover Beach and the pictures brought back fond memories of Central Coast singletrack. I was there in SLO town last month with the family and brought the road and mountain bikes...I did Shooters one day and a road ride out to Montana de Oro. Looks like your trail pictures are from West Cuesta Ridge and Morning Glory and the bottom of Morning Glory where it meets up with Shooters again.

Ride on buddy!

Glad to Be Alive
    love the trestle bridge

great pics
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

just along for the ride
    That picture is from Batista ranch now a part of Morro Bay State park, its about 300 acres of state maintained singletrack . Getting to cuesta ridge from Atascadero is tricky since you have to go through frog pound mountain which is about as high as the ridge then back down to Cerro Alta campground on some very crude privately owned trails. Best just to start at the Cerro Alta campground off hwy 41, park before the gate to avoidhaving to by a day parking pass. Have fun!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Tough to beat California weather

Beautiful weather and good riding. I'm going to go ride in the wet and cold here in the Columbia River Gorge today. I don't like it but I have to ride...

I just wish half the country didn't live in California or I would move out there...and I wish it wasn't so darn expensive to live there.

Jaybo

Demon Cleaner

It isn't crowded here...

well sort of. Depends on what you mean by crowded. However, it is sick expensive. Sick. And SLO isn't even in the thick of it. Browse the real estate ads for Santa Barbara sometime if you want to be depressed.

The demographics reflect this too. Young professionals and families with children are disapearing from Coastal California. I train secondary school social studies teachers, and I can tell you my students have a grim future unless they move elsewhere or have family money. No way to buy a house on $40k a year. And since all the families and young couples flee the area, local schools are seeing rapid drops in enrollment.

Ah, the new fuedal age. Those that own are rolling in unearned and unliquid wealth (from owning a house), while those who do not, look forward to spending a very large portion of their future income on housing.

But the riding is great!

It's a Turner!
    Nice, but this place needs some serious rain.

One thing I missed while living in CA: trees

Although they're doing their best to cut every single one of them down to build overpriced homes on overpriced swampland here.

Can you say "global warming"?

Quote Originally Posted by Structure
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

just along for the ride
    Rain is good, and we get our share, but global warming is not a CA issue or is silly endless hillside development. It's a MONEY issue. Mo Money, MOOOORE $$$$$... less less room, so it goes.... just hope they sell it to fat OW arsheholes that can't walk but love the environment and maybe the trails will stay free

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

What???

What are you talking about, "unearned" wealth from a house in California? I'm on my third house in SoCal and I "earned" every damn bit of "wealth" accumulated and which rests in my house.

I sweated out the down payments, I've paid all the property taxes, I've committed my life to the bank (via the mortgage), I've paid for all my own utilities, maintenance, etc. etc. etc. Several of my friends who have merely paid rent over the last years took on none of that risk and stress. Accordingly, they have no equity in any property, or "unearned" wealth as you so inaptly put it.

Don't throw around the word "unearned" so loosely there, cowboy. It's been earned!

trail rat
    Back on topic about mountain biking.

This has become my loop for night riding as I'm getting back into shape with my fixed heart. Up this road and down the canyon east back to town. Nice 13 mile loop with minimum city stuff. Great views back into town from above, and nice mournful train whistles much of the way.

Last Sunday was the first night ride without some moon light. Past the trestle in the first picture was nerve racking with so many deer crashing through the fennel, startled at my silent passing. Had to dodge a skunk, and lots of small passerines on the road, (picking gravel for the craw, i guess?).

At the bottom, you pass through one last ranch gate, then a bomber run back to the university. I failed to see the three deer in the pasture to the right, racing me for the opening in the brush about 200 feet ahead that would hide them . As our paths converged, they came out of the pasture, jumping the fence onto the roadway, the leader about 20 feet ahead, but one landing just ahead of me and one just behind. I noticed them as they sprang to clear the fence. What a start that gave me!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    What are you talking about, "unearned" wealth from a house in California? * * * Accordingly, they have no equity in any property, or "unearned" wealth as you so inaptly put it.

Don't throw around the word "unearned" so loosely there, cowboy. It's been earned!
    Strike a nerve? Earned income: Accounting term meaning "income (especially wages and salaries) generated by providing goods and services. Also, pension or annuity income."

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Uh, he said unearned "wealth," not income. Please set your fact check to "on."

5 x 5

California wealth

Where does one pick up this trail? Sounds and looks pretty awesome. All I've riden thus far in the SLO area is Montana de Oro.

As for real estate wealth, (said the renter), I'm with MTP. One earns every penny. But not to worry... as soon as California turns into a crappy place to live, prices will drop. Let's see.... 75 degrees in November. Year round riding and sunshine. Beautiul, educated, creative, liberal people. Awe-inspiring outdoor settings, from forests to deserts to moutains to beaches.

On second thought, don't hold your breath!
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

just along for the ride
    The bridge is on Steiner Creek road off HWY 1 just N of the last turn into poly (Highland) that goes up to the rail road tracks way above cal poly and loops back into poly canyon. If you cross the tracks there are a few ways to pedal the additional 1200 vert feet up to Cuesta ridge, shooters being the most popular up and morning glory the most popular down. Parking to avoid a poly ticket is best done at the ag building on steiners creek. Have fun!

I ride with tools

Memories.....

Man, that first pic brings back some memories! I lived in SLO for 9 years, and learned to be a runner on those roads and trails. Went from a 215-lb lard@ss to a marathoner, triathlete, and Cat 3 roadie. Wasn't into mtnbiking back then, tho.

SLO has sure changed a lot since the 80s, and not for the better, IMO. It's still a cool place to visit, but I wouldn't trade my current location for it, given the chance.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Demon Cleaner

I wouldn't expect you to feel different

Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    What are you talking about, "unearned" wealth from a house in California? I'm on my third house in SoCal and I "earned" every damn bit of "wealth" accumulated and which rests in my house.

I sweated out the down payments, I've paid all the property taxes, I've committed my life to the bank (via the mortgage), I've paid for all my own utilities, maintenance, etc. etc. etc. Several of my friends who have merely paid rent over the last years took on none of that risk and stress. Accordingly, they have no equity in any property, or "unearned" wealth as you so inaptly put it.

My comment wasn't intended to offend anyone. Those of us who benefit from the rapid increases in real estate tend to think we are entitled. But why were previous generations entitled to less compensation for the same risk? Why are future ones required to risk more for less (Ok, I can't read the future, so maybe prices will continue to rise at a double digit rate forever. I, however, doubt it.). I think most folks would agree that a homeowner is taking a risk and deserves to profit from their efforts. But to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in a 2-3 years (or even millions)?

My comment was from my context, which is someone who works closely with young professionals who are trying to establish themselves in the area. For the current generation of "fixed" salary professionals now entering the market (teachers, nurses, etc.) housing is no longer affordable in coastal California. As a result these people will have to go elsewhere (even when they are born here and have families here), or their families have money and can afford to get them started in the housing market. Maybe this isn't a problem. But when you send your kids to school and they don't get the best education possible, or when you send yourself or a grandparent to the hospital and there are not enough nurses, well, then it becomes a problem.

Nor do I have a solution. I love the area (was born here). I don't want to see rampant growth and sprawl. But I do want to see a more sustainable demographic. I do think people who work hard their entire lives, get an education, play by the rules, and are willing to risk should be included within the ranks of yeoman (a term for small landowning farmers, Jefferson's supposed bedrock of the Republic. Today: homeowners who through their investment and hard-work feel vested in the success of the Republic). Unless we find a way make this happen, we will indeed see a new quasi-fuedal age.

Enough venting. Rant over. Ride and enjoy the many good things we have.

SingleTrackSal

Bikers, or Brokers? (or, 'Lighten up Francis)

WTF?!?!? I thought we were supposed to be sharing our 'passion' for our sport here, not get into a passionate debate about real estate values. Who GAF about real estate when they are perusing these forums?! All day long we're surrounding by a-holes: in traffic, at the office, waiting in line at the grocery store. Hey, let's leave that stuff there, and just leave this forum to share our passions and enthusiasms and wind-down a bit.

I've never had the privelege of riding in SLO, Humboldt, or anywhere else in California, but seeing those pics gets me thinking about a new place to ride, makes me wish it wasn't 29 degrees outside and snowing, that I didn't have a truckload of homework due, that I was out on my bike soaking up singletrack.........and those pics (and that post) take my mind off that jerk who cut me off in traffic today. So I thank you, keep posting the good stuff!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good thoughts, Structure

With apologies to SingleTrackSal, the real estate does pop into mind. I too appreciated the photos, and come here to see that. I mostly stay out of the political stuff. All I'll say is that Structure succinctly described a very real problem that makes living here bittersweet. Maybe things aren't feudal, yet. But with entry level homes priced over $500,000, you definitely start to have structural problems in a community. I hope those of you living in more affordable areas will keep that in mind when the feds start talking about eliminating tax breaks for mortgage interest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Hey, STSal?

Hard to tell from the blurry pic, but is that Tuco in your avatar photo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    One from late January winter is prime here!
    Cool dog... what kind is it?

just along for the ride
    He's a mutt, mom was a Rodesian Ridgeback, dad was a lab/beagle?? mix, great trail dog for about 5 miles and about 800' verticle, then he's good for a long nap

Members who have read this thread: 0