I Just Ride....

New question here. Riding Bootleg Canyon?

So what's he riding like at Bootleg Canyon?
    I'll be in Vegas over the Thanksgiving weekend.
    I have looked at the website and see they have a good selection trails.
    What insight can anyone give me that's been here?
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr dismember

Contact E!

Contact E! in the Nevada forum. He'll lead anybody around who shows up. I found a good bit of it difficult but some nice flowing stuff, e.g. Caldera. A few photos and videos on my site from two trips earlier this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Bootleg is pretty cool. I had only been riding for a little over 2 months when we went, so a lot of it was tough for me, but still a great place to ride. Lots of trails for different skill levels. All Mountain Cyclery down the road has a few maps you can pick up and gave us a few tips on the trails. We didn't get to any of the DH trails, but they're supposed to be awesome. If you have time and are interested, there's a Lake Mead outlook at the top which is pretty cool. Scroll down (or search my username), I posted a few pics from our trip of Bootleg, as well as Gooseberry Mesa in UT, and Blue Diamond on the other side of Vegas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Been to the trails in Blue Diamond....great ride!. Fast, fast, fast.....just watch out for the cactus! They bite back!

Gittyup!
    You are in for a treat. Bootleg is freakin' fun. Whether you dig the DH or XC, there are some incredible trails to be ridden. Really well marked, great facilities at the base (tables, showers, bathrooms... all free), and the people of Boulder City are super friendly. An easy drive from Vegas. You can spend day at Bootleg linking up different trails that run the entire gammet of technical challenge. A great place to really improve your skills or just go with the singletrack flow. It's pretty crazy to be able to ride such quality trails in that close of proximity to a place like Vegas. My wife and I spent a few days there last year, about this time last year actually, and really enjoyed it. It was a big surprise (pleasant one). We thought it would all be crazy downhill stuff, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Here's a write up and some more pics:

http://gittyup.net/december_trip_log.htm

... and a sample of the terrain (notice the trail down the fall line):

Did some riding in Cottonwood as well. Would have liked to have spent more time exploring the area, but we got shafted by weather. The local bike shop in town (can't remember the name) has a great map. Be sure to pic up a Bootleg Canyon pint glass while you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Not to be missed. Bring the bike and ditch the Thanksgiving scene or Strip scene (at least on Friday and Saturday) and hit the trails.

Favorite xc loop. Up West leg, clockwise around Caldera, up boy scout, (Add a short out and back up to the Lake Mead Overlook if it isn't closed to bikes yet), down skyline, then down East leg (for more techy) or Girlscout ( for more flowy fast). Yee Haw.

Then the next day hit Cottonwood.... or if you love the techy climbs followed by bombing droppy descents catch the Cowboy Trails in Red Rock Canyon. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KRob; 11-17-2005 at 02:56 PM.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

info and video here

Thanks!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    http://www.s92441708.onlinehome.us/B...tlegcanyon.htm

abolisher of A$$holes
    Bootleg is the shite!!!!!!!!! The DH trails are a lot of fun...and you only have to push your bike for a bit...I would definitely recommend hitting it up...and if you like some DJ action...those are a lot of fun too...and you can get a ton of shuttles in if you have a few people or an extra driver...

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    Bootleg is the shite!!!!!!!!! .
    how long are the trails? i was checkin the map, but there's no info on vertical distances.

Savvy?
    I rode at Bootleg back in October...shipped my bike out there and everything. I have a friend out there and he showed me around.

While it was an absolute blast, this flatland Florida boy had never encountered such technical trails before. I psyched myself out a couple of times while riding "skyline".
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

E !

he,he

Quote Originally Posted by SeanL
    I rode at Bootleg back in October...shipped my bike out there and everything. I have a friend out there and he showed me around.

While it was an absolute blast, this flatland Florida boy had never encountered such technical trails before. I psyched myself out a couple of times while riding "skyline".
    I have actually rode OFF of skyline twice. Both times nothing severe. Just a few bloody body parts.
    the - E - dog

Savvy?
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    I have actually rode OFF of skyline twice. Both times nothing severe. Just a few bloody body parts.

I was just gonna FALL off.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    Yep, I have a few scars on my knee from Skyline. Ahhhh the good old days....
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Fragilie
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Ride On!

Hey man, I'll be there over the turkey day weekend myself, maybe we can hook up and ride the canyon. I've never been before either.

Eric.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

the good old days?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Yep, I have a few scars on my knee from Skyline. Ahhhh the good old days....
    does that mean you graduated and are no longer in the area or do the good old days simply mean anything before now?

YR

jibber of the unjibbable
    Brian, man, you have to ride BC, especially if you're going to be right there in sin city

in fact the first time I got to ride it was thanxgiving weekend of 03, on the way to virgin where I got photos snapped by a certain photog who shall remain nameless
    Boogie down to free James Brown

I Just Ride....

Good job! You mean this photograph?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    Brian, man, you have to ride BC, especially if you're going to be right there in sin city

in fact the first time I got to ride it was thanxgiving weekend of 03, on the way to virgin where I got photos snapped by a certain photog who shall remain nameless

You must mean that great photographer who did this photograph of you Nate..

My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

I Just Ride....

Good job! Ride On!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    Hey man, I'll be there over the turkey day weekend myself, maybe we can hook up and ride the canyon. I've never been before either.

Eric.

I have been in dialouge with Redmon and we are looking to meet there on the day after at about 1130.
    Look for a post by him here or in the Nevada forum for futher info in the days leading up.
    Brian
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    how long are the trails? i was checkin the map, but there's no info on vertical distances.
    lol...I wish I could help...but you're asking the wrong person...my concept of time and distance are way off...not super long, but not short...lmao...I suck...maybe like 15 minutes at a pretty good pace...ask WCH...he'd be more help...yeah, I have problems reading maps too... not a good combination...sometimes I scare myself in the backcountry...

Now with flavor!!
    lol...I wish I could help...but you're asking the wrong person...my concept of time and distance are way off...not super long, but not short...lmao...I suck...maybe like 15 minutes at a pretty good pace...ask WCH...he'd be more help...yeah, I have problems reading maps too... not a good combination...sometimes I scare myself in the backcountry...
    Must suck being female......having to always ask directions and all. I need to come ride shasta with you guys once it snows here.

sriracha: Nick right? Jed and I will be making some trips. I'm sure you knew jed lived there so he's a good one to ride with. We'll let you know. If the fact that we drive 7-8 hours to ride there in the winter mulitiple times doesn't do it here.......BOOTLEG IS GOOD

Fartographer

The Best!

Brian-
    I love Bootleg. I've made many trips there over the past 3-4 years, including one Thanksgiving weekend. I've ridden my Dare, the old Id, my singlespeed, demo bikes, and my Mini-Free. They were all fun. Girl Scout is one of my favorite trails ever. Brent - the "trailmaster" - is an artist. Really. He is a graphic artist and painter. But he's an artist when it comes to trail design and building, too. Man, I love that place so much. You have to go.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Must suck being female......having to always ask directions and all. I need to come ride shasta with you guys once it snows here.

sriracha: Nick right? Jed and I will be making some trips. I'm sure you knew jed lived there so he's a good one to ride with. We'll let you know. If the fact that we drive 7-8 hours to ride there in the winter mulitiple times doesn't do it here.......BOOTLEG IS GOOD
    nope...I just get pissed and make the old man figure it out...
    Shasta's fun...but why are you waiting for the snow...you think your shiz is better??

banned
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Rode there a bit over the summer with some locals. If you will be doing the shuttles you absolutely will want a full dh bike and full pads (local shops rent both). The dh trails (snake-something and others) are super rocky. I was riding a 6inch foes fxr and it just didn't do it for me.

Later that day we went and did some xc - on boy/girl scout trails and others and the fxr was perfect. The xc trails are moderately technical and all fun.

There is quite a mix of trails in bootleg. There isn't much for beginners - but if you want moderate to very difficult bootleg has it.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    does that mean you graduated and are no longer in the area or do the good old days simply mean anything before now?

YR
    More like the good old days when I would ride as fast as possible crashes be damned

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Now with flavor!!
    nope...I just get pissed and make the old man figure it out...
    Shasta's fun...but why are you waiting for the snow...you think your shiz is better??
    Yes. Without having seen shasta I do think that.

And about 4 hours less driving.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    Actually its: http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My parents and I were in Vegas for spring break of this year, and I was determined to ride Bootleg. I ended up getting up before dawn, catching a bus, and taking a 2-hour voyage via public transit with my gear and breakfast in a duffle bag, walking the last mile to All Mountain Cyclery and renting a bike on the spot. I then rode up to the park, walked up to Brent, whom I referred to as "Mr. Trailmaster Sir!", and told him that I'd travelled all the way from Alabama to ride Bootleg. Dude nearly messed himself when I whipped out my license to prove it. Needless to say, I had an amazing ride, going out on Caldera and a few other awesome XC loops, as well as one out-and-back Brent told me about that he was still in the process of building. I wanted to name it "Toe Clips", for no other reason than that I kept looking down and realizing just how friggin rocky the place was every time I took a digger in a turn. Some great guys showed me a fast, hard, 10-mile loop they'd planned out for a race the next weekend. Battle scars and all, Bootleg was amazing. My only advice: bring plenty of fluids, ride XC for a good while, then downhill once it gets later in the day. Oh, and wear armor no matter what. Some of those trails are massively technical (my knees were complaining the entire time). Beautiful, though, is all I can call them. Masterpieces.

Members who have read this thread: 0