mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Ride with my friends through the brazilian mountains,

Resende x Capelinha x Mauá x ponte dos cachorros x Mirantão x Santo Antônio do rio Grande x Bocaina de Minas x bagagem x Vargem Grande x Resende 125 kilometers

See our rides in Brazil ( we made a lot LOL ) , There are good reports and beautiful pictures : https://canelasdeaco.blogspot.com (shins of steel ) and https://michelschanuel.blogspot.com (head on the clouds ). Click on google translator banner.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No! no way! surely! I'm not crazy! Fools are: Alexa, Jeffinho, , Pedro and Michel, for having accepted my invitation to participate in this great adventure. ( sorry ...i mean madness lol ) The fact is that when I realized that the pedal was extrapolating the degree of acceptable and tolerable "hardness and hassles," it was too late. we were already half way there, and there was no option, go back would be worse, the only way was to move on, and it was what God wanted. It was hard, this was certainly a memorable one ride , with a taste of adventure. Becomes difficult to describe through words , all the places we passed, on and also the moments of hassles, happiness and resilience, we shared during those 125 kms, but I will try as far as possible in a few lines to describe our ride . We met and headed toward Maua, some friends were going with us to Capelinha l, but due to some misunderstandings they ended up going later,. but we l met by chance com our friende Ana Cristina, who accompanied during some kilometers . Just right the begining of the ride i realized that this ride would be very tiring, since the heat was too much even considered the possibility of asking my friends, to change the route, to make it lighter, but soon gave up this idea because they are all extremely certain people, and especially quiet and serene, who like adventure and are always ready for whatever comes. We arrived at Capelinha , and soon after began the hard climb to the tower, ascent , always was tiring, and this time was still a little worse due to the intense heat and dust, but we managed okay. We tired a lot, true, Finally . We arrived at the highest parto f the road, and there as is customary relaxed a little and took some pictures., after this We descendes to Maua, and there we stopped for lunch and rest, the lunch proved to be important, since replenished our energy and left us with enough strength to reach the Mirantão. We left Maua, under intense heat toward the Mirantão, which is accessed by the dog`s . A long the way we asked some passersby about the distance until Mirantão , and each of them spoke a different mileage, but in the end we found in practice that Mirantão was not pretty far from Mauá , but there were a lot of climbs, but enjoying the beautiful view along the way helped to soften the hardships of the journey. We finally arrived in Mirantão is a friendly place, well maintained and with many typical buildings of brazilian country side : simple houses with windows made of Wood ,. We stopped for lunch and rest. We asked the owner of the bakery,if Santo Antônio was nearby , she promptly replied that it was not pretty far from mirantão but to get there we should climb a mountanin , dammit ... by that I didn´t expect, another mountain to climb, , at that stage of the ride we were super tired. I was disappointed, this unexpected news was a bucket of cold water in my intentions. The owner of the bakery, noting our concern and disappointment felt sorry for us, and left with a story (white lie) that it was only a short and light climb , and we would not even feel. There was no escape, we must move on, and soon after we left Mirantão, we faced u hard climb very steep , almost a slope l, that was all a lie, there were´nt short and light climbs , Just the hard and steep ones. We suffered a lot , and also got a little rain, but we managed to win the mountain, and at the top we had a beautiful view of the region. From the top of the mountain to Santo Antônio was just a ,delicious descend , and on the way down we had a breathless view of the valley with the village in the background. We made another stop in Santo . Antônio ,. we rested and had lunch, and it was a joy to know the news that until Bocaina de minas , there would be no mountains, only small , smooth highs In fact the information was true, and our path to Bocaina was a quiet, dirt road very well maintained and with a beautiful landscape. Despite that this stage was extremely easy if compared the hills that we climbed, , our bodies was already showing signs of fatigue and exhaustion, the many hours of hard cycling left us tired and weak, but with a lot of determination we ended up on the asphalt, l near of Bocaina de minas . Finally we entered the city, we were super tired, but be there was a victory and at the same time an incentive, because the path from Bocaina de minas until Resende are almost descent l. We rested and had lunch in this small town, and soon after we were on on road again climbing to the throat, of the mountain and getting there, everything became easier, although we had already some soft ascent to climb . the most of the path would be steep and delicious descents , we rode fast but cautiously and soon we were in Bagagem , where the night surprised us, fortunately we are prevented, we turned on the flashlights and went ahead and below., Down the Eme mountain at night was a adventure , but we managed okay, soon after the descent we arrived in Vargem grande , from there to Resende were Just 17 kms,. Never have been so happy to arrive at Resende. I was happy because everything was over, i finally was at home, would finally rest. But Despite the hassles was too good, everything becomes easier and more bearable by the presence of friends at our side. My wish finally came true, finally managed to make this ride ( 125 kms,) thanks from my heart to friends Michel, Pedro ,, Alexa and Jeffinho by the company, and particularly by encouraging words and animation, if I had gone alone surely would have stoppend by the halfway.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Beautiful scenery, I have to get back there soon.
    Thanks for sharing.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Holy Huge Paragraph Batman

I'd love to bike thru South America one day!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    very nice!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I'll be honest, I didn't read that ginormous paragraph but I did like your pictures!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Wow, looks like an amazing trip! Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so ... by the pictures and blogs , we, the mountain bikers , of this huge world , can know a little bit about the trails abroad. I can know something about Usa and you can know something Brazil. well... there´s a lot of people who likes to watch slide show about mountain biking, Click in this link to acess my photobuckett album , about this ride, Just below the text.: https://canelasdeaco.blogspot.com/
    Photos by Michel and Pedrol

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Some pictures of my last ride (last weekend )

Tree Hugger
    Nice trip. Looks like alot of hard riding, but worth it!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Nice! thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bet that pool of water felt good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

A few shots from my last ride ( Sunday ) BRAZIL.

I love this water fall , it´s called Fumaça ( it means smoke ) , a very beuatiful place, an excellent and har mountain bike ride. https://canelasdeaco.blogspot.com (visit my blog ).

[

Zoom

A hard track , a little bit of mud , rain , what could be better than it.

Me and my friends.

Me (Jorge Nogueira ) next to the fall.
    Last edited by Jorge Nogueira; 03-14-2011 at 02:48 PM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    great stuff!

mtbr member
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Cool waterfall pics. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New photos of my rides

mtbr member
    Very cool I love it, cant wait to go ride with my budds today!!!
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    thats awesome! thanks for sharing.

fading away
    Wow, nice pictures. Seeing them reminds me of my two months spent in Kenya, very similar looking structures and surrounding terrain.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

My mountain bike rides here in Brazil (new shots )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome looking pics.
    Looks like a great experience

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Wow, I have been wanting to go to Brazil for quite a while now and those photos really stoked the desire. Renewing passport tomorrow! Thanks!
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Awesome! time to take a trip

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks

Great photos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice pictures. It would be nice if I had the time to do those sorts of rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Happy trails with my friends

More pictures at : Google Translate

Is not amused
    Thanks for the nice pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

New photos of my rides.

I have been in beautiful places , riding my mountain bike and so i decided to share with you:

mtbr member
    Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

Just Ride
    very cool! Mountain biking the way it should be!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Amazing pictures, but sad to see so wide areas eroded and deforested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    New pictures of a wonderfull ride .

Uploaded with ImageSh

Uploaded with ImageShack.usack.us

[IMG=https://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5913/cicloviagem151.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[IMG=https://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4673/cicloviagem199.jpg][/IMG]

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics Jorge. Its great to see greenery. Stuck in drab gray-brown part of the year in my area. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bom dia cara... I may be sent on an extended biz trip to brazil soon n wanna check with u guys if it's safe to bring along my bike? Which bikes to use in belo horizonte and Rio?

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Nogueira View Post
    Resende x Capelinha x Mauá x ponte dos cachorros x Mirantão x Santo Antônio do rio Grande x Bocaina de Minas x bagagem x Vargem Grande x Resende 125 kilometers

See our rides in Brazil ( we made a lot LOL ) , There are good reports and beautiful pictures : CANELAS de AÇO , Resende RJ. (shins of steel ) and COM A CABEÇA NAS NUVENS (head on the clouds ). Click on google translator banner.

No! no way! surely! I'm not crazy! Fools are: Alexa, Jeffinho, , Pedro and Michel, for having accepted my invitation to participate in this great adventure. ( sorry ...i mean madness lol ) The fact is that when I realized that the pedal was extrapolating the degree of acceptable and tolerable "hardness and hassles," it was too late. we were already half way there, and there was no option, go back would be worse, the only way was to move on, and it was what God wanted. It was hard, this was certainly a memorable one ride , with a taste of adventure. Becomes difficult to describe through words , all the places we passed, on and also the moments of hassles, happiness and resilience, we shared during those 125 kms, but I will try as far as possible in a few lines to describe our ride . We met and headed toward Maua, some friends were going with us to Capelinha l, but due to some misunderstandings they ended up going later,. but we l met by chance com our friende Ana Cristina, who accompanied during some kilometers . Just right the begining of the ride i realized that this ride would be very tiring, since the heat was too much even considered the possibility of asking my friends, to change the route, to make it lighter, but soon gave up this idea because they are all extremely certain people, and especially quiet and serene, who like adventure and are always ready for whatever comes. We arrived at Capelinha , and soon after began the hard climb to the tower, ascent , always was tiring, and this time was still a little worse due to the intense heat and dust, but we managed okay. We tired a lot, true, Finally . We arrived at the highest parto f the road, and there as is customary relaxed a little and took some pictures., after this We descendes to Maua, and there we stopped for lunch and rest, the lunch proved to be important, since replenished our energy and left us with enough strength to reach the Mirantão. We left Maua, under intense heat toward the Mirantão, which is accessed by the dog`s . A long the way we asked some passersby about the distance until Mirantão , and each of them spoke a different mileage, but in the end we found in practice that Mirantão was not pretty far from Mauá , but there were a lot of climbs, but enjoying the beautiful view along the way helped to soften the hardships of the journey. We finally arrived in Mirantão is a friendly place, well maintained and with many typical buildings of brazilian country side : simple houses with windows made of Wood ,. We stopped for lunch and rest. We asked the owner of the bakery,if Santo Antônio was nearby , she promptly replied that it was not pretty far from mirantão but to get there we should climb a mountanin , dammit ... by that I didn´t expect, another mountain to climb, , at that stage of the ride we were super tired. I was disappointed, this unexpected news was a bucket of cold water in my intentions. The owner of the bakery, noting our concern and disappointment felt sorry for us, and left with a story (white lie) that it was only a short and light climb , and we would not even feel. There was no escape, we must move on, and soon after we left Mirantão, we faced u hard climb very steep , almost a slope l, that was all a lie, there were´nt short and light climbs , Just the hard and steep ones. We suffered a lot , and also got a little rain, but we managed to win the mountain, and at the top we had a beautiful view of the region. From the top of the mountain to Santo Antônio was just a ,delicious descend , and on the way down we had a breathless view of the valley with the village in the background. We made another stop in Santo . Antônio ,. we rested and had lunch, and it was a joy to know the news that until Bocaina de minas , there would be no mountains, only small , smooth highs In fact the information was true, and our path to Bocaina was a quiet, dirt road very well maintained and with a beautiful landscape. Despite that this stage was extremely easy if compared the hills that we climbed, , our bodies was already showing signs of fatigue and exhaustion, the many hours of hard cycling left us tired and weak, but with a lot of determination we ended up on the asphalt, l near of Bocaina de minas . Finally we entered the city, we were super tired, but be there was a victory and at the same time an incentive, because the path from Bocaina de minas until Resende are almost descent l. We rested and had lunch in this small town, and soon after we were on on road again climbing to the throat, of the mountain and getting there, everything became easier, although we had already some soft ascent to climb . the most of the path would be steep and delicious descents , we rode fast but cautiously and soon we were in Bagagem , where the night surprised us, fortunately we are prevented, we turned on the flashlights and went ahead and below., Down the Eme mountain at night was a adventure , but we managed okay, soon after the descent we arrived in Vargem grande , from there to Resende were Just 17 kms,. Never have been so happy to arrive at Resende. I was happy because everything was over, i finally was at home, would finally rest. But Despite the hassles was too good, everything becomes easier and more bearable by the presence of friends at our side. My wish finally came true, finally managed to make this ride ( 125 kms,) thanks from my heart to friends Michel, Pedro ,, Alexa and Jeffinho by the company, and particularly by encouraging words and animation, if I had gone alone surely would have stoppend by the halfway.

Wow great scenery

mtbr member
    That is a place I would love to visit! Thanks for sharing your beautiful country!

T E A M L U N A

Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by judyklien View Post
    Bom dia cara... I may be sent on an extended biz trip to brazil soon n wanna check with u guys if it's safe to bring along my bike? Which bikes to use in belo horizonte and Rio?
    Hi Judy,
    What do you man by safe?
    Safe to ride? Sure, but be extra alert, drivers here are NOT concerned at all about your safety.
    Afraid of theft? If left unattended or poorly locked, your bike will be stolen like anywhere else in the world.

What kind of riding do you do?
    If you like dirt Brasil is great. There is very little sprawl outside of Rio and BH so endless dirt roads and trails can be found just outside both cities.
    Any road bike would do in the cities.

Best of both worlds would be a cyclocross bike with 2 sets of tires. (Ritchey Breakaway)
    Also bike parts here are 3 times the average USA price.

I have a Surly Troll as my main MTB/ commuter and a single speed for riding along the beaches in Rio.

I am from the states and have been living/riding here for 4 years, ask me anything.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by T-roll View Post
    Hi Judy,
    What do you man by safe?
    Safe to ride? Sure, but be extra alert, drivers here are NOT concerned at all about your safety.
    Afraid of theft? If left unattended or poorly locked, your bike will be stolen like anywhere else in the world.

What kind of riding do you do?
    If you like dirt Brasil is great. There is very little sprawl outside of Rio and BH so endless dirt roads and trails can be found just outside both cities.
    Any road bike would do in the cities.

Best of both worlds would be a cyclocross bike with 2 sets of tires. (Ritchey Breakaway)
    Also bike parts here are 3 times the average USA price.

I have a Surly Troll as my main MTB/ commuter and a single speed for riding along the beaches in Rio.

I am from the states and have been living/riding here for 4 years, ask me anything.
    Oi T-roll,

Thanks for your advice.

I am currently on a Titus El Guapo and does mostly trail riding to a few jumps in between occasionally. I was more concerned with the security of my bike during transit to BH (or even trying to get my bike out in 1 piece from Singapore-Guarulhos). I know I will be safe from the local drivers because I wouldn’t be riding anywhere near the curbside in Rio or even in BH.

But I am kinda worried because I haven’t done anything near an all-day ride since I relocated to Singapore …. so naturally I am a little cautious and hope to join in some local guys who do about 20 miles week in week out. I reckon if I go slow, I probably can do an all day ride too.

I missed simple fire/dirt road riding but guess my EG with a 2.5 front is abit too much! That said, I am more of a 1-bike-rides-all kinda person, so I wouldn’t be to concern what sorta gear I have at the trailhead anyway.

Nice if you can share some bikeshops’/riders’ contacts so that I can join in some local rides…. The Resende ride looks so nice and scenic!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    very interesting photos. Brazil is huge country. What part of Brazil is this?

T E A M L U N A
    Oi T-roll,

Thanks for your advice.

I am currently on a Titus El Guapo and does mostly trail riding to a few jumps in between occasionally. I was more concerned with the security of my bike during transit to BH (or even trying to get my bike out in 1 piece from Singapore-Guarulhos). I know I will be safe from the local drivers because I wouldn’t be riding anywhere near the curbside in Rio or even in BH.

But I am kinda worried because I haven’t done anything near an all-day ride since I relocated to Singapore …. so naturally I am a little cautious and hope to join in some local guys who do about 20 miles week in week out. I reckon if I go slow, I probably can do an all day ride too.

I missed simple fire/dirt road riding but guess my EG with a 2.5 front is abit too much! That said, I am more of a 1-bike-rides-all kinda person, so I wouldn’t be to concern what sorta gear I have at the trailhead anyway.

Nice if you can share some bikeshops’/riders’ contacts so that I can join in some local rides…. The Resende ride looks so nice and scenic!
    Judy,
    I have brought 2 bikes from the states w/ no problem. Pack it well and keep your fingers crossed.

I live in the mountains NW of Rio and do most of my riding in the area around Nova Friburgo.

Here are some contacts in this area. Do you speak Portuguese?

In Nova Friburgo:

Bruno or Ricardo at Dreams Bike Center
    22-2523-1311 (Bruno races Downhill)

Kiko at Race Tech
    Race Tech Bikes (Kiko times most of the races in this area)

Ita at Mountain Sports
    22-2523-6140 (Ita is the best mechanic in Friburgo)

Orlando at Montanha Cup
    www.montanhacup.com.br (Orlando organizes races)

In Minas Gerais:

Marcus at Serramar Tours
    Serra Mar (Marcus speaks english)

I hope this helps. Will you be arriving in time for Carnival? We are planning a ride down the mountain to the sea during that week.

Val

T E A M L U N A
    Oi T-roll,

Also Guilherme at Kalapalo publishes some excellent guides for biking and treking.

Kalapalo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Muito obrigado T-roll,

Unfortunately I do not speak much Portuguese.

Really looking forward to the posting to Brazil soon but as of now, my dates are (at best) unsure. But I do know that I will spend most of my time in BH… which means around the mountain ranges near my office =)

Regards
    Tinny (Judyklien - is a nick that i adopted from my first bike/fork combo - Klein Pulse II + RS Judy XC)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some pictures of my last ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nice pictures!

mtbr member
    Been going to motorcycle SA for a couple years now bu the chips have not fallen into place, your post makes me want to more than ever.

Members who have read this thread: 0