Thread: Racing is easy

Complete Bastard

Racing is easy

I am substitute teaching right now, fifth grade. Compared to this, racing is a piece of cake. The first time I subbed I subbed fifth grade and my wife called as soon as I got done. She asked, "How was it?" I said, "I am at the liquor store. It's harder than racing mountain bikes."

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

I gotta run, someone is going to put gum in someone's hair.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    I am substitute teaching right now, fifth grade. Compared to this, racing is a piece of cake. The first time I subbed I subbed fifth grade and my wife called as soon as I got done. She asked, "How was it?" I said, "I am at the liquor store. It's harder than racing mountain bikes."

I've been thinking about looking into teaching over the last few years. You know, do something constructive for the future of this place. But then I remember how much I hated my teachers when I was a kid, and that makes me very nervous.
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

Complete Bastard
    If you hated your teachers you were either a behavior problem or your teachers sucked. I remember a few really cool teachers who influenced me growing up and I try to be like them.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    If you hated your teachers you were either a behavior problem or your teachers sucked. I remember a few really cool teachers who influenced me growing up and I try to be like them.
    Neh, it always annoyed me that they said I was "a nice boy" and was "a pleasure to have in class"... the problem was, I was shy, and I don't know if they thought they were going to bring me out of my shell or what, but I got singled out & called on constantly all those years. It got to be a sort of cliche, & was entertaining for my classmates, but it eventually made me hate school, the teachers, the whole bit. Pretty antisocial by the time I got out of there. Weird, but I still feel like I'm under the gun when I get around more than a couple people at a time. Jeez, reading this, it sounds like a need a shrink. Really it's not a big deal or anything, just life, you know.
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you hated your teachers you were either a behavior problem or your teachers sucked.
    I have a feeling that there are a few other legitimate options. I hope you aren't sharing this unnecessary dualism with your temporary students.

Complete Bastard
    Crap I was just typing a quick response to acknowledge that it might have been him or it might have been the teachers. I forget I have to make sure I take the time to give a perfectly even, well thought out, detailed response that indicates that I have considered all the options and weighed them carefully, lest all the internet armchair analysts out there think I am some sort of demonheaded ******* of a teacher. Gotta love the internet!

Complete Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    Neh, it always annoyed me that they said I was "a nice boy" and was "a pleasure to have in class"... the problem was, I was shy, and I don't know if they thought they were going to bring me out of my shell or what, but I got singled out & called on constantly all those years. It got to be a sort of cliche, & was entertaining for my classmates, but it eventually made me hate school, the teachers, the whole bit. Pretty antisocial by the time I got out of there. Weird, but I still feel like I'm under the gun when I get around more than a couple people at a time. Jeez, reading this, it sounds like a need a shrink. Really it's not a big deal or anything, just life, you know.
    Thanks for sharing that. I'll try to make sure I don't do that. I'm sure your teachers meant well but obviously it wasn't the best thing. Or maybe it was. Maybe you would have turned out like Ted Kaczynski if they hadn't.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005

i hate my teacher and i don't do anything....

i hate teachers and i dont have an attitude problem...and they don't suck....that much. just on tuesday my algebra 2 teacher blew up at the class. we have some dumb blonde cheerleaders and they ask the most retarded questions and all the sudden my teacher blew up at us. he starting yelling "i hate d@mn school. i can't stand this hell hole. i hate my job and i hate you kids. ahhhhh" then he picked up a chair slammed it back down and sat in it while yelling "i'm sick of this damn **** i'm taking a break" then it didn't help when i couldn't control my laughter and busted out laughing cause he blew up when a girl who did her homework said "i don't get it" after he explained how to do a problem for her. i thought it was sooo stupid i just started laughing and then he started getting mad at me and i was just like "whatever bro...you can't write me up for saying this sh*t is funny when you just cused at us and said you hate us." then he was like "whatever figure out the rest of the chapter on you own and you have a test monday." hahahahahah it was the funniest thing i've seen in a long time. i would have taken a detention though it was worth seeing him almost walk off from his job cause he was sick of people not knowing how to do math.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    I student taught one semester while in college(public speaking for 6th grade)...until i saw one of my 6th graders at the danzig concert...I was having tea with glenn and his bandmates. the 6th grader then used a danzig song as his first speech! I loved it! but the bureaucracy(sp) was so crazy that i never followed up or pusued the profession. i give mad props to teachers. you go mward!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Crap I was just typing a quick response to acknowledge that it might have been him or it might have been the teachers. I forget I have to make sure I take the time to give a perfectly even, well thought out, detailed response that indicates that I have considered all the options and weighed them carefully, lest all the internet armchair analysts out there think I am some sort of demonheaded ******* of a teacher. Gotta love the internet!
    This is your explanation? Your initial response was moronic. Claiming it was just a "quick response" doesn't justify the lack of thought.

Some of your "internet armchair analysts" might be teachers themselves. Or they might be students. Neither will appreciate your analysis of the reasons why the teacher/student relationship might not always work perfectly.

Complete Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Iktome
    This is your explanation? Your initial response was moronic. Claiming it was just a "quick response" doesn't justify the lack of thought.
    And some, like you, will be insensitive clods, thinking nothing of insulting the person on the other end of the wire. I love this internet bravery! About as good as internet brains! Yay! You're the winner! You got me nailed to a T! I'm so glad you took this chance to point out that I didn't do a good enough job in your eyes. Please, feel free to go around dispensing unwanted advice wherever you think it's needed. But remember what they did to Socrates, jerk. I admit my initial response was just a mindless post. But you really opened my eyes. I'm going to quit pursuing this teaching thing and become a gadfly like yourself. Perhaps the assclown who pays you to run around dispensing advice would like to hire me? I can train under you. I'll be a master baiter in no time!
    Last edited by mward; 11-17-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Witty McWitterson
    LOL!

Too good.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    But you really opened my eyes. I'm going to quit pursuing this teaching thing and become a gadfly like yourself. Perhaps the assclown who pays you to run around dispensing advice would like to hire me? I can train under you. I'll be a master baiter in no time!
    I wasn't dispensing any advice, I was just noting that you are an idiot.

And thanks for replying and proving my point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iktome
    I wasn't dispensing any advice, I was just noting that you are an idiot.

And thanks for replying and proving my point.
    EASY now there, kids.

If mwards an idiot, I'm Paris Hilton!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Savvy?
    I have nothing really to add to this conversation, other than to say that mward's last post was hilarious.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Girt by sea.
    Stick with the teaching for a bit longer: we need more of them, not fewer. Being a master baiter is not as good for society.

Why is it that we pay the people who have a huge influence on our children's psyche such a pittance, and then subject them to ridicule whenever we can?
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

mtbr member

Lmao

And some, like you, will be insensitive clods, thinking nothing of insulting the person on the other end of the wire. I love this internet bravery! About as good as internet brains! Yay! You're the winner! You got me nailed to a T! I'm so glad you took this chance to point out that I didn't do a good enough job in your eyes. Please, feel free to go around dispensing unwanted advice wherever you think it's needed. But remember what they did to Socrates, jerk. I admit my initial response was just a mindless post. But you really opened my eyes. I'm going to quit pursuing this teaching thing and become a gadfly like yourself. Perhaps the assclown who pays you to run around dispensing advice would like to hire me? I can train under you. I'll be a master baiter in no time!

You have made my morning. Keep up the good work, I'm sure teaching is hard. I know there were a few teachers who were unhappy to see me every morning. Now I live the rest of my life wishing I were a better student.
    "The only time you find success before work is in the dictionary"

www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    haha Im going to school to be a teacher right now, and I'm looking forward to it! (i dont know why)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Wow! You must look a lot better in person! Your photos just don't do you justice.

Actually, I'd like to retract my comments from above that were insulting to mward, and apologize for them. I was mean and aggressive unnecessarily. Nor do I know anything about his situation or personality. I'm sorry.

That's not to say that I would withdraw all criticism of the initial comment to which I responded. But there certainly is a more civil and useful way to discuss the issue. Unfortunately, many students/parents on the one side, and teachers on the other, believe precisely that either the teacher sucks or the kid is just a behavioral problem. I'm not suggesting mward believes that, and I recognize that he may not have seen the need to share fully his philosophy on the issue with me, but that approach seems far too common. Parents shouldn't automatically defend their kids, and criticize teachers, when there's a problem. And teachers likewise should understand that behavioral problems are often, if not most often, an effect rather than a cause.

This should not be viewed as any criticism on the teaching profession generally. It's a social criticism, and we're all part of that (myself included).

i worship Mr T
    EASY now there, kids.

you're Paris Hilton?! wow. you look so different in your pictures.

rt

ps - mwards: nice job in an admirable profession
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member

[a$$clown mode = on]

I bet teaching 5th grade is pretty tough. Especially when your grammer is probably not much better than your students.

[a$$clown mode = off]

you know your crazy right
    EASY now there, kids.

that was just what I was thinking...LOL
    Boobs to the tube.......

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by konahottie_311
    that was just what I was thinking...LOL
    you're Paris Hilton too?!

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Complete Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    I bet teaching 5th grade is pretty tough. Especially when your grammer is probably not much better than your students.
    That second sentence is a fragment. Grammar is spelled with 2 a's, not an e. Students should be possessive (students') since you're talking about the students' grammar. Would you care to revise your answer?

Careful about criticizing other people's grammar online, yours is not very good either. Most people view this as an informal medium of communication, and as such, tend to not worry about their grammar. I know I certainly don't care.
    Last edited by mward; 11-18-2005 at 02:35 PM.

you know your crazy right
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    you're Paris Hilton too?!

rt
    Well she is my idol..LOL Although I do have some pretty red nail polish on today....but no it was more about the kids and all their sillyness...
    Boobs to the tube.......

Now with 3 more inches!
    I substituted 6th grade for 3 months last year. They're a cool bunch of kids. I found 7th and 8th grade much harder work.

This year I'm teaching high school elective classes with the added bonus of them being in subjects I actually have some expertise in. Some weeks you come home and feel really rewarded that you're having a positive influence on their lives. This wasn't one of those weeks. Looks like my whiskey could do with freshening up... Oh, Bartender!

As for the earlier post about the teacher losing it. I think most teachers have had moments where they felt like flipping out. I've heard it in the class next door a couple of times, and I feel bad for them. It's very important to keep your sense of humour. Wow, that drink went fast. Better order two this time.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    substitute teaching is by far the hardest part, i did it for a year...but teaching gets a lot easier after the first couple years...i have done it now for almost 10 years, the last 6 in special education and its very rewarding...(plus summer kicks a$$)... we need more good teachers so keep working at it, lots of fun...finding a cool school helps too
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Complete Bastard
    Ah I taught 7th and 8th grade today and it was awesome. The kids are old enough to get your jokes.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005

i'm going to goto school to be a teacher though....

i hate school like its my job, but i'm going to goto college to get my doctrine in music education and music theory and composition. i got like 8years of college ahead of me. ugh i hate school, but music is my life. berklee, the best music school there is which is in boston, here i come for 8 hellish years of college.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Do you mean a Doctorate?

I went to college for six years, and loved it. If you're at good schools, have good teachers and studying something you love then the time will fly by.

Members who have read this thread: 0