mtbr member
    Jun 2005

pricepoint.com stole my passion!

I ordered a Niterider Storm 2.0 HID headlamp from pricepoint for $300. After waiting three weeks for it to arrive (I live in Canada), I was so excited. I would finally be able to ride during the week after work again! Much to my dismay, they had sent me one which had obviously been returned to them previously as defective! The package was not factory sealed, and the box (not the shipping box, but the NiteRider box) was in rough shape. When I called their customer service to request that they exchange it and ship me a new one with a courier service at their expense so I wouldn't have to wait another three weeks, they informed me that was not an option. I'm returning it to pricepoint and I've ordered another one from another retailer...one that hopefully treats their customers better!

more details and pics here

Savvy?
    Wow. I ordered that same exact light from them and got a brand new one, prompt delivery, no hassles. I'm glad I didn't have that kind of trouble.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanL
    Wow. I ordered that same exact light from them and got a brand new one, prompt delivery, no hassles. I'm glad I didn't have that kind of trouble.
    No complaint about the delivery time, as it was within the 7-14 days specified on their site for Canadian orders, but the fact they couldn't go "the extra mile" to correct their obvious error was very dissapointing.

Just roll it......

Weird.....

Tom, that's weird. I've had excusively good experiences from them in the past (ordering multiple times per year over the last 5+ years). What sux most is the fact that they just didn't ship you a new one and take care of the shipping on the one they sent originally - making you a customer for life.

Something to consider.....I'm sure they get all kinds of shisters sending them back stuff that was purchased elsewhere with the "my stuff arrived broke" line, but they certainly could've taken care of you better in this instance. On that note, I don't agree with Synchro's "canadian conspiracy theory" as I know several Canuck friends that have ordered from them successfully in the past.

Chers,
    EBX

mtbr member
    I have had a good experience with price Point up until the last time I used them. I ordered both a 2.1 and 2.3 Huchison Python tires. I received a 2.1 and a 2.1 mounted on the Huchison 2.3 pakaging. You still with me? Somebody had put a 2.1 tire on the 2.3 cardboard backer. It's hard to see where that would be an accident. It was too much trouble to return, so now I am stuck with a tire I didn't order

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer
    I have had a good experience with price Point up until the last time I used them. I ordered both a 2.1 and 2.3 Huchison Python tires. I received a 2.1 and a 2.1 mounted on the Huchison 2.3 pakaging. You still with me? Somebody had put a 2.1 tire on the 2.3 cardboard backer. It's hard to see where that would be an accident. It was too much trouble to return, so now I am stuck with a tire I didn't order
    so, lets get this straight. because the tire was packaged wrong, probably at the factory and you're too f***ing lazy to send it back, it's pricepoint's fault. right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by _tom_
    I ordered a Niterider Storm 2.0 HID headlamp from pricepoint for $300. After waiting three weeks for it to arrive (I live in Canada), I was so excited. I would finally be able to ride during the week after work again! Much to my dismay, they had sent me one which had obviously been returned to them previously as defective! The package was not factory sealed, and the box (not the shipping box, but the NiteRider box) was in rough shape. When I called their customer service to request that they exchange it and ship me a new one with a courier service at their expense so I wouldn't have to wait another three weeks, they informed me that was not an option. I'm returning it to pricepoint and I've ordered another one from another retailer...one that hopefully treats their customers better!

was there a problem with the light or was the packaging (that you'd probably just throw away anyway) just wrinkled? see where i'm going with this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdonk
    so, lets get this straight. because the tire was packaged wrong, probably at the factory and you're too f***ing lazy to send it back, it's pricepoint's fault. right.
    If you would spit your piss covered wheaties out of your mouth...
    After looking at the packaging I could tell that the tire had been repackaged on the 2.3 board. I didn't send it back because it's too much trouble, I'll use the second tire sometime.
    Then again I am too lazy to respond to your ignorant post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    was there a problem with the light or was the packaging (that you'd probably just throw away anyway) just wrinkled? see where i'm going with this.
    It says in his post that the light was defective.

rad to the power of sick
    LBS supporter for life.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Old man on a bike
    Actually he implies it was defective more than states what made it defective. Instead of saying just what was defective, he said the box wasn't factory sealed and the box was damaged. I'm not sure what the photo of the light proves or not and the photo of the box shows damage, but only looks to be a minor cosmetic flaw. I'd like some clarification on what was defective about the light; did the OP charge it and test it? For all I know Canadian Customs opened it up and damaged the box in the process.

Not enough info to bash PP yet. Personally I've had a great experience with PP each time I've ordered.

ps I just went to take another look at the photos I saw originally posted and now can't see anything...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I ordered a carbon bar from Price Point on Sunday afternoon, got it just now. Had immediate emails from them, and an email from UPS as soon as they received shipping info. It was in a sealed up Easton box, seems new Now all I need is a stem!!

also, had ordered it through the cheapest UPS shipping method (ground, probably usually 3-5 days). I guess since it came out of Anaheim and I'm only an hour south I lucked out!
    Last edited by aword4you; 11-29-2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: adding info

Ouch, I am hot!
    I knew before even reading this thread that the OP would have less than 10 posts to his name. I am focking sick and tired of people bashing good online stores with this kind of dribble. Poor packaging my anus. Dribble I say, dribble.

I have had nothing but good expereinces with PricePoint. Long live PricePoint.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I knew before even reading this thread that the OP would have less than 10 posts to his name. I am focking sick and tired of people bashing good online stores with this kind of dribble. Poor packaging my anus. Dribble I say, dribble.

I have had nothing but good expereinces with PricePoint. Long live PricePoint.
    If you click the link in my original post, you'll see I spend most of my time on the NSMB (North Shore Mountain Biking) forums. I lurk here once in a while, but don't have much to add to threads about riding in places I have no idea about. I just thought I'd get the word out on a more "American-based" forum (there's that whole "Canadian conspiracy" thing again ;p)

For the record:

1. The light was defective. After charging the battery, it did not work.
    2. The condition of the package indicates to me that a customer previously returned it as defective, then an employee of pricepoint simply put it back on the shelf for someone to pick it and then it was sent to me.
    3. If the light worked, I could have cared less about the packaging.
    4. All I wanted was for them to correct their obvious mistake by shipping me a functioning product ASAP. Sending it US postal, then through Canada customs, then Canada Post is NOT as soon as possible. It took 3 WEEKS the first time. I didn't think it was an unreasonable request.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I just thought I'd get the word out on a more "American-based" forum (there's that whole "Canadian conspiracy" thing again
    Even if everything you said is true, I don't think the "word" needed to get out. Post away, this is an open forum. However, I am still sick and tired of the "bash good online store" posts.

PS: There could be countless reasons why the package was in the condition it was. Speculation is speculation, nothing more.
    Last edited by Dirdir; 11-30-2005 at 02:09 PM.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Speculation ?

Not sure what your point is? I'll type s l o w l y, the light was broken, not working, understand. A reputation is earned by the collection of customers good and bad experiences. The packaging was damaged and the light didn't work, and a number of things could have caused this certainly, but if shipping product is your business you should know how to do this so it arrives undamaged, and functioning. This is not complicated, either the claim is legit or fraudulant. If it is legit good customer service means you do everything you can to satisfy your customer. If this is an exception for Price Point customer service it still doesn't excuse it.

"El Whatever"
    Being outside the US, sometimes I wonder myself if the savings are worth the trouble.

Sheit can happen and will happen.

One of the few times I had ordered from outside Mexico, I ordered from Pricepoint... guess what?? No hassle.

Next time verify if the article you're buying has a represetative in your country. It might save you lots of problems.

The fact that they don't want to pay courier for an item you didn't, it's reasonable... even if the stuff is defective. It's fair. You want an online store that gives you more than fair treatment and that's perfectly fine! But you gotta look elsewhere.

I think they weren't denying anything that they had offered.
    Check my Site

mechmann_mtb
    is there any chance that the packaging or contents were damaged in customs?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1yellowbrick
    Not sure what your point is? I'll type s l o w l y, the light was broken, not working, understand. A reputation is earned by the collection of customers good and bad experiences. The packaging was damaged and the light didn't work, and a number of things could have caused this certainly, but if shipping product is your business you should know how to do this so it arrives undamaged, and functioning. This is not complicated, either the claim is legit or fraudulant. If it is legit good customer service means you do everything you can to satisfy your customer. If this is an exception for Price Point customer service it still doesn't excuse it.
    Point = I am sick of posters with a total of 4 posts bashing good online stores about crap like packaging. I don't give a fock if the light was broken or not or if PricePoint was in the right or wrong.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Point = I am sick of posters with a total of 4 posts bashing good online stores about crap like packaging. I don't give a fock if the light was broken or not or if PricePoint was in the right or wrong.

i agree. i'm not going to say that price point has typically poor service or poor customer service, quite the opposite has been my experience over the last five years or so. its more a matter of expectations. if you expect to have more than walmart quality service then you should be willing to pay for it or not whine when it is not delivered.

mtbr member
    I've never had any problem with Pricepoint. The local bike shops here are another story.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member

but
    No complaint about the delivery time, as it was within the 7-14 days specified on their site for Canadian orders, but the fact they couldn't go "the extra mile" to correct their obvious error was very dissapointing.
    After working in a bike shop where we make customer service our priority, hearing people complain about poor service from the online retailer is really surprising. They are a low price leader. You're already getting a great deal. I'm surprised online retailers are able to be profitable because things are already so discounted... but even that is not enough for customers. They want stellar service also.

So it wasn't really 3 weeks, it was 2, which is really immaterial because it arrived to you within the time they said it would.

As for the packaging, you have no idea whether this was a"returned as defective" item or not. Many warehouses have storefronts, and items are removed from packaging to show to customers who walk in. It might bolster your case against them to claim that some item shipped to you was knowingly sent you defective, but, you're really just making it up. Don't disparage a well-respected company just because you had one bad experience. State the facts objectively if you want to complain.

They probably offered to cover the shipping of the 2nd light, but not the $$ courier service across the border that you were asking for. You don't mention whether they were willing to cover your return shipping (so that you pay shipping only once for the product).

Bottom line: you get exactly what you pay for.
    **Lowest prices
    **Great Customer Service and personal attention when things go awry

Choose one.

If customer service is important to you, be good to your LBS. They want to serve you. They want your business. They will usually price match, even though they are losing money doing so.

(OK, rant over)
    -sunny

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyracegirl
    but

After working in a bike shop where we make customer service our priority, hearing people complain about poor service from the online retailer is really surprising. They are a low price leader. You're already getting a great deal. I'm surprised online retailers are able to be profitable because things are already so discounted... but even that is not enough for customers. They want stellar service also.

So it wasn't really 3 weeks, it was 2, which is really immaterial because it arrived to you within the time they said it would.

As for the packaging, you have no idea whether this was a"returned as defective" item or not. Many warehouses have storefronts, and items are removed from packaging to show to customers who walk in. It might bolster your case against them to claim that some item shipped to you was knowingly sent you defective, but, you're really just making it up. Don't disparage a well-respected company just because you had one bad experience. State the facts objectively if you want to complain.

They probably offered to cover the shipping of the 2nd light, but not the $$ courier service across the border that you were asking for. You don't mention whether they were willing to cover your return shipping (so that you pay shipping only once for the product).

Bottom line: you get exactly what you pay for.
    **Lowest prices
    **Great Customer Service and personal attention when things go awry

Choose one.

If customer service is important to you, be good to your LBS. They want to serve you. They want your business. They will usually price match, even though they are losing money doing so.

(OK, rant over)
    -sunny
    actually my experience is that the lbs generally acts insulted when asked if they can even come close to an advertised online price. as for customer service, except for the rare exceptional lbs most of them suck worse than the online store in repect to knowledge, and communication.

Ouch, I am hot!
    i agree. i'm not going to say that price point has typically poor service or poor customer service, quite the opposite has been my experience over the last five years or so. its more a matter of expectations. if you expect to have more than walmart quality service then you should be willing to pay for it or not whine when it is not delivered.
    I also think that expecting courier delivery, whatever that is, is unreasonable, even if Pricepoint purposely sent a defective product, which I don't believe is true. This is the internet, not the Ritz-Carlton. Moreover, I don't even know if PP could ship courier to Canada even if it wanted to. Sounds like it would costs as much as the light.

There are legitimate bad internet stores. Pricepoint is not one of them. Not even close.
    I AM JUST A JERK

"El Whatever"
    I also think that expecting courier delivery, whatever that is
    Courier is a parcel service like UPS, FedEx or DHL.... he bought something by USPS/Canadian Post Service and expected return by parcel.

Well... at least all US on-line stroes ship to canada with no worries. Try that being in Mexico.... NAFTA is bad freaking joke. Don't get me started on shipping prices. Some places in Canada (think east coast) are farther away to let's say a California based store than almost any point in Mexico... and shipping rates are nothing to be compared.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Uhh, well...

but

If customer service is important to you, be good to your LBS. They want to serve you. They want your business.

-sunny
    Until 3 weeks ago I would've agreed with you. I have always been a LBS supporter, but would buy occasionally online. No issues with that.
    In August I started dealing with a warranty issue with my LBS from where I got my road bike. The shop's single attempt at the warranty resulted in a no, and that was the answer I was given. "No."
    Not one to take no for an answer, I started making contacts, ending with the factory service manager who approved the warrany. No problem, I didn't give up.
    I was told that I would have my frame back in 3 weeks, coordinated with the bike shop, copied them on all correspondence, followed up with phone calls, and did everything short of doing their job.
    Long story short...7-1/2 weeks later, I still have no frame. It was incorrectly warrantied initially because the LBS relied on a single phone call (voicemail) to relay specific instructions. It sat in the LBS for a total of 3 weeks prior to shipping (1-1/2 weeks each time). The second trip to the factory was standard ground because "that was the way it we handle warranties".
    The LBS has gone from hero to zero in my opinion. Not once have they attempted to do more than the bare minimum, and it is obvious.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but even the a shop "voted the #1 ______ Shop in the US" doesn't necessarily excel at customer service, even when the clients are paying a premium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangerider
    Until 3 weeks ago I would've agreed with you...
    (snip)
    but they did an amazingly moronic thing and bombed on a warranty
    (snip)
    The LBS has gone from hero to zero in my opinion. Not once have they attempted to do more than the bare minimum, and it is obvious.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but even the a shop "voted the #1 ______ Shop in the US" doesn't necessarily excel at customer service, even when the clients are paying a premium.
    Really sorry to hear this. But I'm certainly taking notes. Although warranties are perhaps seen by your average bike shop grunt as one of the necessary evils in life, they should be seen as opportunities to impress the customer. If a warranty can be handled efficiently and professionally, although there may be no $-value associated with it, it is a net win for the shop and the shop staff.

Unfortunately many shops have no real procedures in place for things so common as warranties. There are no forms, no folders for filing receipts, no shelf dedicated to incoming or outgoing warranty items, etc..

And this, along with general apathy, is why we look like the incompetent boobs you see.

Hope you find a better shop.

"El Whatever"
    And this, along with general apathy, is why we look like the incompetent boobs you see.
    'She said "boobs" uh-hu, uh-hu...'....
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Really sorry to hear this. But I'm certainly taking notes. Although warranties are perhaps seen by your average bike shop grunt as one of the necessary evils in life, they should be seen as opportunities to impress the customer. If a warranty can be handled efficiently and professionally, although there may be no $-value associated with it, it is a net win for the shop and the shop staff.

Unfortunately many shops have no real procedures in place for things so common as warranties. There are no forms, no folders for filing receipts, no shelf dedicated to incoming or outgoing warranty items, etc..

Hope you find a better shop.
    They have a procedure...It's give someone the title of Warranty Manager and give him no encouragement to do his job properly. Until last week, there was zero follow up/through on their part.

You're right, they could've had a client for life, with a family who cycles - my son is ready for his first bike - and is loyal. What can ya do...?

So, where is a good shop with competent personel in SoCal? I'd drive up to Orange County if I had to to get good customer service.

mtbr member
    Why is this guy getting bashed for sharing this information about PP? The light simply did not work. Whether he got a good deal or not he should get good customer service and a product that works. If the product did work there should still be concern about the packaging. If the light was used for some time and then returned, that could have an impact on the longevity of the light system. The batteries can be recharged a finite amount of times before they have to be replace.

I have purchase a build kit and other items from PP and have had very good experiences. I will shop with the again despite this his post. If I saw many posts with bad experiences like Beyond Bikes I may reconsider.

Shipping to Canada sucks. I sold something on Ebay to some one in Canada for $175. A month later I was sent a bill for $38 for customs. Never again will I ship anything to Canada

I have 4 bike stores in this area and only one has decent service. I am considering getting my next bike there. The other three are a joke in terms of product selection, price, and service.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by et_mtb
    Why is this guy getting bashed for sharing this information about PP? The light simply did not work. Whether he got a good deal or not he should get good customer service and a product that works. If the product did work there should still be concern about the packaging. If the light was used for some time and then returned, that could have an impact on the longevity of the light system. The batteries can be recharged a finite amount of times before they have to be replace.
    a. This is not the right forum.
    b. PP was offering a real solution. He expected "much better", they gave him "fair".
    c. PP is one of the few reliable stores out there.
    Check my Site

Old man on a bike
    Well, I can see why he posted in the forum, he felt his passion got stolen, fair enough. However, to put that much expectation in an online purchase across an international border isn't all that realistic (it wasn't that long ago it was even possible).

I wasn't sure from his original post whether the light was actually defective or if he merely had an open package (but like his confirmation said, that wasn't an issue but rather an indication, he would have been happy if, after charging, the light had worked...I wasn't sure first time around what he had done to determine the light defective). Having worked in international freight/customs clearance most of my life delays and open packages are a part of life.

I don't think a retailer owes a speedier return of defective goods; that's a chance you take ordering online or via mail-order (the rules are there for you to agree with or not before you buy); asking for extra remedy is great if agreed to, but not to be expected.

I think the real complaint is with Niterider...never been much impressed with as many failures with their equipment as my friends have experienced.
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 12-02-2005 at 08:43 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So now that I've had a few days to think about it...

Pricepoint's customer service is not "bad". A part was shipped to me, that was defective. The package has obviously been opened, and had the light taken out of it, then put back in. I can tell this because the tape that seals the NiteRider box is cut open, and there are scuffs on the light housing. I don't really care about this at all. Just that the light doesn't work. I didn't have a problem waiting 3 weeks to get the light. Pricepoint is under no obligation to overnight me a new product just because they sent me one that was defective. However, it has been my experience with other online retailers (not in the bike industry - this was my first online bike parts purchase) that "good" companies will go "above and beyond". Case in point - I ordered a "special edition" DVD (I don't even remember what it was now) that came in a tin. When I received the tin, it was dented, even though the tin was completely mummified inside the box with packing material - like it was already dented in the warehouse and it was put in the box. When I contacted the company - they offered to overnight me a new one, and arranged for me to drop off the defective one at Purolator (canadian courier company) to be returned to them. There are companies who will give customer service that is above and beyond "what they have to do". Those are the companies I will do business with. Maybe it's unfair of me to expect companies who want my money to provide "excellent" (as I would define it) customer service.

The whole "stole my passion thing"...I was just so excited to have the light. And then it was such a huge letdown. I don't get home from work until 5 pm. I haven't ridden during the week for around 2 months now. I was thinking about all these night rides (I was going to go out the night I got it) and then...nothing.

Pricepoint was willing to exchange the item for me, unfortunately they don't ship to Canada using UPS (they use UPS in the US though, so they have a UPS account, and UPS picks up stuff at their warehouse). So I guess it's not their fault I would have to wait three weeks. Pricepoint also said right off the bat they would reimburse me for the charges to ship the defective light back to them.

If you have done business with Pricepoint in the past and have received good service, then by all means continue to do business with them. Personally, I value information about retailers and bike shops both good and bad, so I can know who I am dealing with. That's the reason I posted the thread. Obviously, my bad experience with Pricepoint is in the minority. Obviously, most people are satisfied with Pricepoint's customer service.

For the record, 5 days later Pricepoint never returned an e-mail I sent to customer service, sales, and international sales.

Anyways, soon I'll be riding after work again! Thanks for listening!

"El Whatever"
    Good to see you're feeling much better now. Not resigned, that would not be good either but it looks like you feel much better.

Just try to support some other people who will go the extra mile. Larry Mettler from mtnhighcyclery.com and Chad DeVals from redbarnbicycles.com are good examples of that kind of bike store.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

i agree

i completely agree

Members who have read this thread: 0