mtbr member

Planning a trip... need help!

Hey guys,

So, here's the short version: planning a trip, have no idea what/where/when/how, and need help :-)

Long version...
    I wanna do some kind of "epic" ride with some friends. We're based in South Florida. I'm not sure how many miles, but we're thinking something around 250 would be cool for the first time. Now, I have NO idea when it comes to what "plan" to follow...

1. All on our bikes, camping gear, etc.
    2. Taking the bikes with a support vehicle, sleeping in hotels, etc.

For a first time, I'm leaning towards plan 2... but would like to hear everyone's ideas and experiences they've had.

And finally, location, location, location:

1. Do it somewhere in Florida.
    2. Drive up to somewhere outside of Florida and ride there, then drive down.

If anyone has ANY experience with any kind of long distance riding here in Florida, I'd be REALLY interested in hearing it, please.

Waiting for inputs!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I would go in mid to late spring to the best trails in the se, or at least a few of them. camp near or at them and ride there. screw the sado masochism of riding on roads, that is why there are mtn bike trails! I would get out of florida and maybe hit a couple of these: fats, pisgah, dupont, tsali, jackrabbit

mtbr member
    This group could probably point you in the right direction: http://www.swampclub.org/
    Spokes - If you pedal you belong here.
    www.spokesnet.com

mtbr member
    anyone else?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think some of your choices could depend on budget, how much time you have, and what the weather might be like.

If budget is no problem, go for a hotel or rent a condo or cabin somewhere to use as a base. Have hot showers, beds, refrigeration, etc. I'd consider similar options if weather during your trip window is sketchy. Cycling and camping in prolonged wet weather is no fun. But if you can get in a good ride, then go back to a warm dry place, clean up, dry off, have a warm meal, a little bad weather is not such a big thing. On the other hand, if you've got a window of probably good weather, go for the camp option, set up a base camp and ride.

Time and budget also impact how far, how long, and where. The only place I've been in Florida is Gainesville, so I can't help you on the "where". But you and your group will have to decide how many days you have for the trip, how much time you want to spend driving, and how much you want to spend on gas.

Members who have read this thread: 0