mtbr member
    Oct 2009

The Passion we have for our fellow riders

Two weeks ago a group of riders were out to have fun on what has become a traditional Tuesday night ride. The days before rains made the usual trails sloppy wet so they revert to plan B, the PfUC trail ride. The PfUC, or Pflugerville Urban Community trail is a series of sidewalks throughout the town. It's a mild sidewalk trail system, but at least it's pedal time when the trails are slop. Along the way, I met up with the riders with a couple other friends for a bite and a beer at a restaurant. We ate, we laughed, we departed home. Shortly after leaving, we received word that Michael wrecked and that ambulances were on the way and that he needed help.

Michael is one of those guys that, on first impression is nice and quiet, friendly personality, and the kind of guy you'd like to hang out with. He's not the loud, boisterous, attention-grabbing type. But more the quieter, relaxed, teacher type, always there with an ear for your BS without judgment. One of those guys you like riding with you in your group because he's gonna help you in some way; learning a technical climb or walk you back to the car. He's quick to become everyone's friend. He's instrumental in our Sunday beginner club rides as well as being the spandex racer boi. He just likes to ride and shares that enthusiasm with everyone.

During that Tuesday night ride, Michael had an accident in which he was riding up a berm, hit a concrete lip, and then superman'ed down onto a 3 ft water culvert. He got up and moved around almost immediately, but it was obvious that he was not OK. Blood was draining from his nose and his shoulder was hurt. Paramedics were immediately called and eventually a friend took him to the hospital. What initially looked like a broken nose and possible concussion turned out to be a fractured skull, 3 broken ribs, 3 cracked vertebrae, and a broken scapula. Probably the worst biking accident possible and still get to walk out of it. After 3 nights in ICU and another night a regular bed he was released. The easy and casual ride that is the PfUC just became serious.

So here's where the Passion comes in. Michael has had such an impact in the Austin biking community that we instantly rallied behind him. Within 24 hours of posting on the local forums, there were at least 100 well wishers, many of whom had only met Michael on a couple of rides. But they knew who he was and still prayed for him. Within 36 hours plans were already underway to raise funds to cover medical costs (Michael doesnt have medical insurance). Within 5 days we had raised $5000 in straight donations for Michael. This afternoon his racing team mates raised another $2000+

Personally, I am deeply humbled to see that I ride with such a strong biking community that will quickly and strongly rally behind one of their own. People sacked up and just started doing what they could. The passion of one man rubs off on those around him and we're disappointed that we cant do more.

....Because this is what buddies do for each other.

mtbr member
    It's pretty awesome to see this kind of support from people. I'm glad he survived to see another day, and hopefully he makes a fast recovery so he can get back on the trails. This type of community makes me want to move back to Austin someday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Great story. Sending healing vibes.
    You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding - KRob

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, the first part of the story happens all too often. I'm hopeful the second part occurs often enough too. I've always been of the mind that mountain biking makes for better citizens of any society. Here's to a speedy recovery for Michael, surrounded by friends.

mtbr member
    Wow, that awesome. I hope he gets well soon.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Update: We've now raised over $10k.

Next week were having a race in which the venue and race organizers have agreed to donate $10 per entry towards the cause.
    May not be a dent in the overall cost of his hospital bills but will help tremendously while he is out of work.

mtbr member
    Very cool seeing friends and community coming together like that. Best wishes with a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by imapylet
    Update: We've now raised over $10k.
    Wow thats great guys, well done. Best of luck with your friends recovery.

livin' the dream......
    Very cool. Heal quickly!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0