Scottish Bike Ninja

Passion for my first "real" bike...

Thought you guys might appreciate this one... I've been having a ball with it.

1995... I was 13 years old and had been riding the typical department store bikes most of my life. A friend of mine saved up his money and bought a used Trek 800 "antelope" with a 1" threaded P.O.S. Manitou on it and our world was officially rocked. I would spend the next year trying to save money and negotiating with the parentals. Meanwhile, a new uncle married into the family who was a Cat 1 Criterium racer in the 80's. He promptly won the first XC race he ever entered on a 34lb rigid Univega.

1996... Go into the bike shop with the $500 I had managed to save up knowing that the parents had agreed to pay 1/2 in exchange for good grades. Then I spotted this beauty... a Marin Monocoque... and it was on sale!

The uncle knew that I would be broke for the foreseeable future after this purchase so he convinced the shop to add those new fancy V-brakes and clipless pedals onto the bike price and keep it off the receipt so the parents wouldn't know we added anything.

...Current....
    Bike was ridden hard for 12 straight years before it was finally cannibalized for parts. It had raked up several XC race wins, 2 DH race wins, and 1 24 hour race win over the years. Fork was replaced several times over, frame was powder coated, and it spent the last 3 years of its life as a winter bike with studs, pogies, and snowcat rims up in Alaska.

Rocking Zippity Doo Da in '07.

Recently, I've been seeing the old frame sitting around and started coming across a lot of the original parts in various boxes of mine... so I decided to rebuild it. Today I finally found a Quadra fork that matched my original one... so it's almost together. Here she is at 15 years old and almost original. If only I could find the stupid mounting hardware for that seatpost, still ahve the original Ritchey seat.

Oh yes... Magnesium Rockshox Quadra... pimp shizz back then... and the original LX V brakes. Continental Vertical tire up front... parents took pity on me one christmas in college and bought me an "expensive" $40 tire.

Original cockpit.

7 speed gripshift baby! And a nice short stem...

U.S.E. XCR suspension seatpost... shelled out $130 for this my freshman year of highschool because it was the coolest thing out there Still trying to locate all the seat mounting hardware for it.

AC brake arch I ordered from Supergo... for the ultimate in stopping power Tire is my OLD IRC backcountry from some time in the 90's.... for those of us that couldn't afford the Tioga Factory XC or DH.

Gore RideOn cables=BLING!

Still need to replace the 9spd cassette with a 7spd. Wheelset was built for me by a buddy when Rhino Lites FIRST came out and were the strongest things out there. I kept destroying my Mavic 238's so he built be these 36 hole 3 cross wheels and they are still true 12 years later. Original STX RC derailleur... I'm sure it still sux.

You know you're a big deal when your last name is on the bike... oh yes

All I can say is I can't believe I never got rid of all this stuff... loving it now though, can't wait to take it out for a reunion tour!

So if you've got pics, lets see 'em... let's see those first rides! If no pics, let's hear about 'em!

It's about showing up.

Guys in love are so sappy!

We can't help it.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by rollswithpogies
    So if you've got pics, lets see 'em... let's see those first rides! If no pics, let's hear about 'em!
    Nice work on the resurrection Going to have to try a "short" stem like that on the DH rig!

Not my personal set up, but my first "real" mtb was an Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX - elevated chainstays, bio pace, FAT aluminum fork (at the time) Tioga Psycho tires, and big nasty plastic brake levers. Was similar to this:

Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

Scottish Bike Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard
    Nice work on the resurrection Going to have to try a "short" stem like that on the DH rig!

Not my personal set up, but my first "real" mtb was an Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX - elevated chainstays, bio pace, FAT aluminum fork (at the time) Tioga Psycho tires, and big nasty plastic brake levers. Was similar to this:
    Niiiiiiiiice... Never knew you rocked the Alpinestar.... how long before you build one up now?

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by rollswithpogies
    Niiiiiiiiice... Never knew you rocked the Alpinestar.... how long before you build one up now?
    Gonna be a while, I'm sure... maybe next fall...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Well I guess I see where the legacy for my first "real" suspension bike comes from. Got this in 2002 and rode it strong up until this summer when I got a rigid 29er ss. Looks like its getting retired now since I've got a FS 29er coming in the mail too. I'm certainly going to hold onto this though. We've had tons of good miles together. Of course, everything but the rims, hubs,bb, crank and shocks have been replaced but I still have the old cockpit lying around. Maybe another 10 years I'll get the nostalgic feeling and throw them back on! Great post. Nice to see old bikes don't always have to die waiting to be sold for $20 on craigslist.

From 050310_Bees Knees_Gila
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, I gots to post here, a few CRAZY coincidences.
    First: Your post date is on my birthday.
    Second: Had been riding POS department store bikes all my life till I found out what a bikestore was and started buying parts.
    Third: In 1996 saw this puppy and only having $500 conviced the owner to part it out and bought frame only. Convinced my mom to help out and she bought the STX-RC rear derailieur (it sucked).
    Fourth: I saved my pennies and got the RS quadras too.

I came on here searching for this bike, mine was stolen years ago, and I still miss it. I would buy a used one if I could find it locally, I figure it's so rare that if I find it, I'll probably find the person who stole it.
    Keep it rollin'!

Members who have read this thread: 0