Thread: Passion?

Fartographer

Passion?

Does this convey Passion? Playing with it (the photo, a-holes!) and wanted mountain biker opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Does this convey Passion? Playing with it (the photo, a-holes!) and wanted mountain biker opinions.

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! in my best meg ryan

life is a barrel o'fun
    I'd prefer she be in motion and more singletrack in the photo, to emphasize the biking aspect. A little dust kicked up behind the bike is always a nice detail.

Not that it isn't terrific already
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    it does. I like it. Thumbs up
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

www.mtbnj.com

Freshly Fujified

Very much so

Either that, or she's about to get swept away by the aliens from Close Encounters.

Very nice pic, John. Color would have taken away from the pics intent, IMO.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Yay! Bikes !
    "awe"

mtbr member
    I think it does but would be even better if she was riding. Of course that adds a certain element of danger but would scream passion.

Fartographer

Well

For those of you who want an actual ride photo, I've got that too. This is sort of different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fartographer

Really?

You mean riding with her arms up like that? Or just riding? She probably would have crashed if her arms were out like that. This was an unplanned grab shot that I liked but wasn't sure what to do with. The black and white treatment started to make it meaningful.

mtbr member
    You mean riding with her arms up like that? Or just riding? She probably would have crashed if her arms were out like that. This was an unplanned grab shot that I liked but wasn't sure what to do with. The black and white treatment started to make it meaningful.
    I like the shot as is. I think her riding with arms spread just like that would scream "Passion" but you are right the chance of crashing goes up. Somehow in my head this was a set up marketing type shot for a specific reason as opposed to an unplanned grab. Nice catch and way to be quick with the camera.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    This was an unplanned grab shot that I liked but wasn't sure what to do with. The black and white treatment started to make it meaningful.
    Cool pic. Unplanned shots are often very nice.

"Bring it" or "Yeee-hawwww! Lets go!"
    Black and white does add to it. I think color would take away some of the impact.
    I do like it more than the other two.
    Thanks.
    Don't harsh my mello

Fartographer

Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Somehow in my head this was a set up marketing type shot for a specific reason as opposed to an unplanned grab. Nice catch and way to be quick with the camera.
    If it was a planned shot it would be much more balanced and polished and probably the background would be different. She just stretched while I was either putting my camera away or taking it out. I put it together with the scene in my mind, saw the potential, and got the shot. I've been looking at it for a few weeks now and just yesterday had some idea of what to do with it.

Might have to try to rig one, though. It does have potential as a stock photo.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

First one..conveys...wide open spaces, joy, gladness, openness to the enviroment, happy to be out there.

Passion? not sure about that..probably.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

bacon up that sausage
    Nice and clear picture.Those other shots would look really good too formatted in sepia or black and white.

Rolling
    ....if she was naked

Just kidding. I like it John but not sure it's passion to me! More like "freshness"

Fartographer

Mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by slippy_luv
    Nice and clear picture.Those other shots would look really good too formatted in sepia or black and white.
    For me, the other two are about color. The first one needed the color removed so that it became more about the gesture.

Fartographer

Kid Away!

Kid away, Rich - I'm right there with you

Freshness, huh? How about openess, one-ness? It represented the feeling I had on that trail, for sure. And that's really a sense of space and comfort in the envirnonment. That trail (JEM) has a wonderfully open and free feeling. Maybe that's what it's about?

El Malo
    Nice photo... it definitely expresses passion.

Planned shots are nice but it's hard to beat the feeling of knowing you've captured a beautiful shot in complete spontaneity.

In my opinion, that is the essence and art of photographing moving objects... it's all about perfect timing.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm@ndo

In my opinion, that is the essence and art of photographing moving objects... it's all about perfect timing.
    That's true. But most great mountain bike photos involve a session with a carefully set up camera, well-composed scene, and about 20 run-throughs by a good rider. There are exceptions, but perfection usually requires repetition. Most of the time I need to tune up my shot and the rider takes a few runs to tune up their riding.

But the rare perfect spontaneous image is magic!

Trail rider and racer
    Its a nice picture but it does not scream out passion to me.
    Trev!

mtbr member

passion is tought to photogragh

You took some great passion shots at the 24 Hurkey Creek. Race faces are passionate.

In my head I see mountain bikers teaching kids/ fixing bikes/ groups/ riders not even riding/ riders laying on their backs or at the taco stand.

Here is a shot of a couple that I think are on the Great Devide....
    https://topofusion.com/divide/IMG_2036.JPG

It is nothing spectacular to a photographer or even the viewer. The bummer is it only looks passionate because they look like they are travelers. Another passion.

mtbr member

more passion shots

mtbr member
    I really like the bike shots that show interesting parts of the trail that a rider has just ridden or is about to ride. It lets me imagine what I would do if I were there. Sort of like the surfing pictures of a guy going down a big wave...where will he turn? What will he do next?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    speaking of which.....

I forget who it was (some aussie, pretty sure) but a couple years ago there was that Q-Silver ad of the guy at Shipsterns....O.M.G THAT conveyed "passion" ......in a make it or die sort of way....
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

life is a barrel o'fun
    I didn't get a sense of "Passion" either with the first one, and reading the other comments is making me understand why. It certainly conveys "joy" or "happiness," even "spontanaeity," but that's different.

Makes me wonder: Is she thrilled to be.......out in the open? Does she love those mountains? Is it her first day of freedom after parole? Could it be the first day of spring?

Passion is when the rider's covered in blood, dirt, sweat, and a grin is plastered against his/her face. Passion is (I think) defined as loving something so intensely that it defies logic. A person goes through greater lengths to experience passion than joy, which is a bit more passive.

So a photo that tells the story of a challenge involved in the pursuit of biking- there's yer passion right there. Not a clean, well-dressed rider on a flat plain.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

I Just Ride....

Good job!

I'm kind of with Rich on this one John.
    It's not all that passionate, I see enjoyment.
    I think if you were showing Paige's face that might show a bit more mtb passion.
    I like this photo but I am just not seeing the passion you are.
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    No. It's too casual a postion. Passion is when you're on the edge of balance, strength, endurance, etc.

That shot makes me think she saying my seat's too d*** high.

A wheelist
    Does this convey Passion?
    Heck no. It looks like a good advertizing pic for the Freedom Bra company though.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

Members who have read this thread: 0