Not helpful.

Pagan all youse vitamin experts.

I read this in the latest MBA, in an article entitled, Live and Let Your Cold Die.

What about vitamins?

It's hard to fathom that active people don't eat enough of the right things to receive the full smorgasbord of nutrients through their diet, but it's still recommended that you take a one-a-day multi-vitamin before you retire each day. Burn the natural nutrients during the active day. Take the fake thing when the body is rested and repairing. That way if the vitamin quotient has already been met with food, the body will reject the manufactured version.

Re: the underlined part- is this true? Then if so, how can you OD on too much vitamins?

Is this entire paragraph a complete crock?

fp

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I've forgotten too much since my days as a Unilever nutritionist to be helpful on this topic, but lets say that the paragraph falls somewhere in between over-simplistic to complete poo.

WRT the underlined part...that's junk.
    Last edited by smudge; 11-14-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Ex-Clydesdale
    Water-soluble vitamins such as B and C are eliminated from the body pretty quickly. Excess is taken care of through urination.

Fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E and K are what you have to watch out for. These are stored by your body, and overdosing on these can be toxic.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Your Customer Sales Rep
    I think the vitamin industry is a crock. I have lived on the premise that you can get all the nutrients and vitamins you need by eating a healthy, blanced diet and doing physical activity. And based on my expereince and those of others who subscribe to vitamins/supplements etc I've never seen any evidence to the contrary. Sure you can derive benefits from certain supplements/vitamins/minerals, but unless you are putting your body under extreme stress, I would guess their benefits are minimal (above a certain base threshold). You are better off concentrating on chilling out, getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly than searching for some "wonder pill". D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yes you can OD on vitamins. Some can be quite serious. As Dwayne said, fat soluble (A, E, D, K) are somewhat easy to go overboard on because the arent passed easy, but are instead stored in...you guessed it, your fat for years.
    Effects can be quite serious...sometimes reluting in death if too much is ingested.
    Watersoluble vitamins are also possible do OD on, but much harder. Generaly this only happens with supplimentation. If you do end up taking Vitamin C suppliments (which have no bennefits over about 100mg a day), and you decide to quit cold turkey, you can acctually get scurvy because your body is expecting that high doseage.
    Basically, if you eat a well ballanced diet, you will get all of your requirements for vitamins.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by huntforlife
    ...If you do end up taking Vitamin C suppliments (which have no bennefits over about 100mg a day), and you decide to quit cold turkey, you can acctually get scurvy because your body is expecting that high doseage.
    not true

Quote Originally Posted by huntforlife
    Basically, if you eat a well ballanced diet, you will get all of your requirements for vitamins.
    true

mtbr member
    Pagan, huh? That explains a lot....

Members who have read this thread: 0