C37
    Hopeless
    Nov 2007

Upset Overcoming a loss and regaining passion...

I need help, I used to love mountain biking and would go everyday with friends sometimes or on my own if not. Now I'm done, I'm pissed and haven't rode a trail in months. You see, I was riding my bike to school for two weeks instead of my truck, I just liked riding it more it made the morning routine that much more interesting sprinting the few miles to college on my bike passing spandex roadies on the way.

It's gone now, I got out of class to find the only thing left at the bike rack to be my lock

I want to kill someone still and I even moved away from the area I was staying and dropped out of that school.

I lost everything then and it's been over 6 months. I came back to an old town and borrowed a buddies beater to get around and rode miles and miles on some shitty decrepit Hardrock that a 6th grader would look more at home on. I didn't give a ****.

But when it comes to replacing my bike even though I have insurance money I just don't know what to do, I had a Specialized Enduro Elite from 2007 the old style with dual Fox suspension that I had setup pretty nicely. I got insurance money that was a little over what the bike cost stock on sale as last years model, of course this all came after I redid the drivetrain to the tune of a few hundred. Great ****ing job.

I still want to ride I just feel like I'm not ready to commit, I'm so lost I don't even know what I can do. I like to commute on my bikes so maybe I'll just get a road bike.

Bikes seem to have gone up in pricing though, I can't find anything with dual fox suspension and similar components. This ****ing sucks, I live next to some of the most awesome trails out there and my full face and light are just going to waste, I would be riding right now lost in my pleasure for sure if I had my bike still. But since it's left I delight in nothing anymore and I'm just ****ed. It was my therapy, I don't know what to do. Someone recommend a universal bike machine at 1700 please. I need something durable and stylish, fast and comfortable, aggressive and composed. I'm so ****ed.

Please if anyone has any stories on overcoming trauma like this share them, I don't have much money, my whole life equates to poor; paycheck to paycheck is something I've been familiar with since before I was even on my own, this was all I had, and I've never stolen ****. I'm pissed. I am so ****ing pissed. If I ever see someone stealing a bike I will wreck them. I will destroy them and their family. This feeling is just awful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    While I can't offer any particular help, I certainly feel for you and wish you all the best...

Just a thought, but if you have the cheque from your insurance then consider getting a used bike... Even one a year or two old will significantly less expensive and you may well find what you're looking for.

Sparx

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Look, getting your bike stolen sucks. I had it happen to me too. But its just a bike, get over it. There is no trauma. When I saw this post I thought you lost a limb or something, but apparently it was just a bunch of metal and plastic you lost. Big deal, you have $1700 to spend? You could buy TWO pretty decent bikes for that or just one bike thats even nicer.

mtbr member
    Hey. I don't want to come off as rude or anything like that...

But I think you need to see somebody. Somebody you can talk to. Be it a friend, a colleague, a therapist, a preist, I think you need somebody who can listen and help you sort out what's going on.

You sound like you've got more things to worry about besides a stolen bike. Biking is definitely a good way to cope with things, but it is not the only way. Learning some more coping strategies will make you feel loads better and will really help you in the future.

I'm also sorry that somebody stole your bike. I'm sure it's a crappy feeling. Are you looking for an FS? Cause you might have an option in this: http://villagecycle.com/product/10-t...-6-59412-1.htm ('course you might want to get your bike from another website, etc. Just showing you that the prices on these things can be right.)

Hope you get things sorted out bud. Feel free to vent. It helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    dude that's nothing.......I once BORROWED around 2 grand to buy a bike. The bike got stolen two months after I bought it. For the next year and a half I had to continue making payments on a bike i didn't have....at least you had insurance......

get over it, lesson learned, don't ride your next good bike to school but get a used beater instead....keep the nice bike at home under lock and key with a rottweiler tied to the frame....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    HTFU seriously. are you for real right now? you got your bike stolen big deal. it happens I go to school and live paycheck to paycheck so does my family I am not going to rant on the internet about how F*cked I am. you could get a sweet bike for 1,700 dollars thats more than what both my bikes cost combined. quit your *****en and enjoy life because before you know it you'll be dead.... then you will really be F*cked.

C37
    Hopeless
    Nov 2007
    I just don't know what the **** I want right... yeah I probably need therapy: I drink too much and I got my license suspended now too because I didn't have a bike to ride to the bar and felt like driving was a good idea drunk. But therapy is ******** for sure. Maybe a priest would help...? Friends and colleagues tend to fuel my narcissism and rage.

**** it though you're all just as ****ed as me anyways and we'll see who's hardest when **** hits the fan and its every man for himself out there. That will be my peak. Maybe I'll start a badass looted bike gang empire then, and maybe I'll find the punk with my bike someday and curb stomp him myself, hell maybe I'll ride around and look for the people rocking all the bikes on Stolen Bike Registry and just weed out the people who don't deserve to breathe post-society collapse air. So I guess dust to answer your question I'm pretty ****ing real. Real pissed off. Though the title of my thread was obviously a joke, I thought you would get that. Infact much of my post followed suit, kind of joking but also this **** really does suck.

Anyways that's my dream I guess, figure out how to find a good ass bike again and wait for society to collapse so I can murder people riding stolen bikes.

Until then I guess there's no real need for further discussion unless anyone has anymore good websites with bikes on them I've always gone to the LBS until now.

mtbr member
    Well.

Assuming you are actually as...unbalanced as you're making yourself out to be, it'd be wise to talk to somebody. When I was still religious, talking to my priest helped me sort through some tough times.

Anywho...good luck with the bike dealio..?

C37
    Hopeless
    Nov 2007
    Whatever :\

If I'm unbalanced it's all just chemicals in my brain anyways and I deserve it from all the drug use back in the day and was born chemically imbalanced anyways. Doesn't mean **** to me anyways I already knew I was unbalanced I wasn't asking for help with that.

mtbr member
    If you're not asking for help with it, then stop bringing it up. That just makes you an attention whore.

I'll leave you with some parting wisdom:

Grow up.

C37
    Hopeless
    Nov 2007
    That's laughable, you're my b*tch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C37
    That's laughable, you're my b*tch.
    Oh? Well we'll have to see about that, babe.

C37
    Hopeless
    Nov 2007
    Hmm. You're a funny guy.

mtbr member
    Hmm. You're a funny guy.
    Right on.

C37
    Hopeless
    Nov 2007
    I repent for my piss poor outlook on life and generally distaste for humanity. You've convinced me.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Um, yeah you definitely need some therapy.

I'm a psychologist, pm me for a referral if you are in the NE.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Rule #1 (which you unfortunaely learned the hard way): Do not ride a nice bike to school. If you do, it will get vandalized or stolen.

Rule #2: Get a total beater to ride to school. The FUGLIER the better. It only has to function well enough to survive. After that, anything you can do to make it hideous increases the chances that it won't get molested or stolen. It it looks too good even though you got it really cheap, rattle can it, put a ratty looking saddle on it, some old rusty handlebars, $6 plastic pedals, a little cork tape for grip, no quick release skewers (bolt on only). You'll still need a lock, but even a crappy one will usually keep a FUGLY bike safe.

Rule #3: Keep your nice bike indoors and don't show it off and don't bring shady characters into your place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    F@^*K YOU! i'm riding a single speed hardrock 20 years old. that's my baby your putting down d'bag

It's about showing up.

It takes a fine hand

to build a "Sleeper": a quality bike that looks like a beater.

As to bikes on campus? Thier function is to be stolen. And teh campus cops just shrug their shoulders as ther seems to be nothing to be done about it. My teen riders go off to college and ask about bikes. I always tell them to by an old beater and tune it up really well but put no bling on it. Bikes like that are rarely stolen.

A skilled cyclist demands certain things on a bike; fit, strength, and safety. A skilled eye can see a quality bike. My son is good at that. We'll go by a bike locked to a meter and he can tell if the rider knows what he is doing. You can see it in the set-up of the cockpit, tire condition, and the condition of the chain. Does a thief see that? I doubt it.

An Enduro outside a class? Lesson learned.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002
    F@^*K YOU! i'm riding a single speed hardrock 20 years old. that's my baby your putting down d'bag

WTF???

mtbr member
    holy shite. i thought the guy was talking about the loss of a person with significance in their life. my brother's been gone 2 yrs this month and i was ready to share good vibe and condolences. I feel like i'm living check to check @ times a well but....i get its a passion but c'mon it's a fcuking bike

Underskilled
    I personally thought that was a pretty good troll, guess standards are going up as fast as bike prices!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    bike prices aren't going up. we're just making less!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You're living pay check to pay check and you have insurance on your $1700+ bike? I hope an economics class is part of your schooling.
    "You know you're stupid when your own brain doesn't even try to protect the head that it's in." -P nut

tl1
    Bicyclist

Get an inexpensive bike for commuting...

...first of all that won't be an attractive theft target and ride it. Getting a high quality lock/cable goes without saying too.Take the time while riding that to save a few shekels to supplement your ins. money and think about what you really want for a mountain bike. There's a lot of very cool 2011 bikes out there just don't get one and leave it unattended anywhere.

mtbr member

Good job!

Man, not only try, but actually balance yourself as much as you can do, love yourself a lot, accept yourself much even with the mistakes you do. Let got out that angry, its the best way to heal.

The time you start to forgive others and yourself there's a great great weight coming off your shoulders and you'll start doing better than what you ever imagined. Imagine this "the part of the life you are doing, is laughing at you knowing youre the only who is angry and no one else"

Pick the other part of life, the positive one, fix what you want and get the parts you like from life, where you get the most of you and others. life will give you a fuk1ng hug and you won't feel bad anymore.

Im the contrary of religious, i don't even go to a church often, i dislike pills and things that don't fix anything, and i had my time when i was a sh1tty person, blah blah blah. I used to think i was unbalanced, but in fact, i just was not doing correctly the things and everytime i ended up hollow, unhappy, but because my own decision...

I can tell how you feel. Go forward, let go what happened, the only guy who is angry is you! ... Come on, give yourself a slap in the back and wonder "why the hell are you the one who is suffering and angry when you can't fix the robbery, it just happened, what the hell, work and buy yourself another, or take what you have and juice out every ride, no matter if its a carbon bike, or a cheap one"

Go forward, its like biking, get over the circumstance and ride the hill of yourself, conquer yourself. You can, you really can if you start doing it now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This

Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    holy shite. i thought the guy was talking about the loss of a person with significance in their life. my brother's been gone 2 yrs this month and i was ready to share good vibe and condolences. I feel like i'm living check to check @ times a well but....i get its a passion but c'mon it's a fcuking bike

mtbr member
    hahaha... anyway, a ****1ng loved bike might be great significance just as a person to someone, even though its not right.

Well, a bike its a freaking object. Work, and buy another.

That's it.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    I need help, I used to love mountain biking and would go everyday with friends sometimes or on my own if not. Now I'm done, I'm pissed and haven't rode a trail in months. You see, I was riding my bike to school for two weeks instead of my truck, I just liked riding it more it made the morning routine that much more interesting sprinting the few miles to college on my bike passing spandex roadies on the way.

It's gone now, I got out of class to find the only thing left at the bike rack to be my lock

I want to kill someone still and I even moved away from the area I was staying and dropped out of that school.

I lost everything then and it's been over 6 months. I came back to an old town and borrowed a buddies beater to get around and rode miles and miles on some shitty decrepit Hardrock that a 6th grader would look more at home on. I didn't give a ****.

But when it comes to replacing my bike even though I have insurance money I just don't know what to do, I had a Specialized Enduro Elite from 2007 the old style with dual Fox suspension that I had setup pretty nicely. I got insurance money that was a little over what the bike cost stock on sale as last years model, of course this all came after I redid the drivetrain to the tune of a few hundred. Great ****ing job.

I still want to ride I just feel like I'm not ready to commit, I'm so lost I don't even know what I can do. I like to commute on my bikes so maybe I'll just get a road bike.

Bikes seem to have gone up in pricing though, I can't find anything with dual fox suspension and similar components. This ****ing sucks, I live next to some of the most awesome trails out there and my full face and light are just going to waste, I would be riding right now lost in my pleasure for sure if I had my bike still. But since it's left I delight in nothing anymore and I'm just ****ed. It was my therapy, I don't know what to do. Someone recommend a universal bike machine at 1700 please. I need something durable and stylish, fast and comfortable, aggressive and composed. I'm so ****ed.

Please if anyone has any stories on overcoming trauma like this share them, I don't have much money, my whole life equates to poor; paycheck to paycheck is something I've been familiar with since before I was even on my own, this was all I had, and I've never stolen ****. I'm pissed. I am so ****ing pissed. If I ever see someone stealing a bike I will wreck them. I will destroy them and their family. This feeling is just awful.
    My friend, you're not alone. The passion for riding you feel is shared by most on this and other forums. The need to ride your nearby trails is the reason and the purpose of your riding. Riding is a therapy and we all know it.
    Please use your available budget and get back to riding soon. Don't try to get a carbon copy of your previous bike. Just go for the one that allows you to ride and be happy again. Brands, models, specifications and other subtle things come and go. What stays with us is the thrill and peace after riding. The trails are waiting....overcome your loss.
    Be well,
    jd
    Simple, not easy.

i be lurkin
    damn, honestly this is pretty screwed up...
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Hi.
    Does the OP sound like some whiny immature kid to anyone else?

Shoot, my bike was stolen in college too. $1200 of my hard-earned money over the course of 2 years gone instantly. And I didn't have insurance OR a car. I got over it and scraped together $20 and buy a replacement beater to get to/from campus.

The sense of entitlement in his posts is nauseating. Stop the drugs, stop the drinking, pull your head out, and get your life together. Posting about your problems online isn't going to help you as much as getting off your a$$ and figuring your stuff out.

mtbr member

Dude, I read this entire thread. Sorry your bike got stolen. Sorry about the other stuff, too. Life can be hard. Many of us have seen lots of tragedy. The thing is to deal with the tragedy and move on. Don't get stuck. Honestly, it sounds like you're wallowing. I don't say that to judge you. People do what they do. Fair enough. If you want to wallow, that's fine. That's your choice. If you want to move on, buy a bike and ride into a new chapter of your life. I hope everything works out.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Hope It's all about balance

No just knowing how to balance yourself on a bike, but how to live life with as much balance as possible. I read your post, and most of the responses, and it sounds to my like your bike was a major part of what was keeping you balanced. I think it's great that you found a healthy passion that kept you in a good space, which was cycling; but it sounds to me like you need to be able to find that same "happy place" whether or not you have your bike.

Although most of the critisism posted above is accurate in content, some of it is a little harsh. I do agree that you NEVER commute to a school with your nice bike. The beater bike is the one that you chain up. Something like an Enduro is way to tempting for someone to steal. Make the nice bike the one that you take out when it's not going to ever be left alone. It's the bike that will actually be used for mtbing or if you're road riding.

That all said, I do agree with others that said that you also need to find someone to talk too. Whether it's a councelor, priest, friend, family, etc; to help you find balance. So that, in the event something negative like having your bike stolen happens, it doesn't send you off the deep end and into a bottle.

Again, it'sall about balance. Good Luck.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    May 2010
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Specialized...f#ht_500wt_665

Not quite the same, but a good start. Stop complaining. Things could be much, much worse.

mtbr member
    All of us here love riding bikes, but you can't measure your overall happiness upon it. If your statements are genuine, your rage about losing your ride is just a symptom of deep seeded issues and I hope you consider getting help. Except for the last couple years (and I have a very modest income by New York standards) I've lived paycheck to paycheck my entire life and I know what it's like to always be broke, but somehow I always managed to scrape up something when I really had to. With the risk of sounding like a religious nut (I consider myself a "closet christian" as I haven't been to church in a very, very long time), God will never hit you with more than he knows you're able to handle, it's how we grow and adapt, a.k.a. wisdom ("what doesn't kill us makes us stronger"). Get some form of therapy, buy two bikes with your insurance check, a $50 beater for your commute and a nice bike for play, and get back in the saddle. The tough get back up, dust ourselves off and keep riding, right? See you on the trail....

mtbr member
    I'm 49 make a good living and my two bikes together don't cost $1700. And if I had a $1700 bike I sure as hell wouldn't leave it while I went somewhere for hours at a time.

2 years ago the surgeon took my cancerous Thyroid out. I'm less upset about losing that than this guy about his bike. Trust me you can't run out and buy a new Thyroid. But insurance did cover the bill.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Chanel that rage, get a new bike and enjoy the trails. Might be able to find a new cheap commuter on craigslist... might also see your old bike for sale too. Also, 53119 sorry about your loss, it's never easy, even two years later. Everyone... enjoy the day, and keep it real, set your captives free (even if it's you).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Buy some Tryactin, take it...ALL of it and go ride.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0