Gittyup!

Off Road to Athens movie

Someone posted a while back about this flic... Off Road to Athens, and that it had gotten great reviews. I went ahead and got it and sat down to watch it last night. All I can say is, if you haven't seen this movie yet, buy it (http://www.offroadtoathens.com/). Hands down the best mountain biking film I have ever seen. I couldn't believe how well put together it was. 1st class videography, excellent commentary, and a real inside view of elite mountain bike racing in the US and across the world. Just a great film all around. Highly recommended. And based on the video, it sure looks like a lot of the world cup courses had some serious technical sections... much more so than any course I've seen (at least in Oregon). Great extras too. I think I'll watch it again tonight!

used to be uno-speedo....
    Needed more of Shonny in it

saw the trailer

Impressive... and after reading the reviews, I was more inclined to buy it. apparently this guy filmed the thing on a tight budget, with out a clear idea of how things would come out... apparently he did a great job! (that's genius right there my friend)...
    Anyways, I'll buy it for myself for Christmas, in trying to convince the wife to give mtb a try... (and train her for the next Olympics hahahah)
    semper ad excelsum

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    Someone posted a while back about this flic... Off Road to Athens, and that it had gotten great reviews. I went ahead and got it and sat down to watch it last night. All I can say is, if you haven't seen this movie yet, buy it (http://www.offroadtoathens.com/). Hands down the best mountain biking film I have ever seen. I couldn't believe how well put together it was. 1st class videography, excellent commentary, and a real inside view of elite mountain bike racing in the US and across the world. Just a great film all around. Highly recommended. And based on the video, it sure looks like a lot of the world cup courses had some serious technical sections... much more so than any course I've seen (at least in Oregon). Great extras too. I think I'll watch it again tonight!
    Thanks for the review, I'm going to have to check that out soon. Just curious, do you think that as a non-racer I'll get as much out of it? Just wondering if it is more focused on the overall spirit of MTB or really close focused on the competition side of things? I'll check it out either way, just wondering what to expect.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    sounds great, but cheap dvds and virtually free music have spoiled me. 30$ plus shipping just seems too much to swallow. someone send me a copy when you tire of it or somebody clue me in when they go on blow out sale for 10 bux or less.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    sounds great, but cheap dvds and virtually free music have spoiled me. 30$ plus shipping just seems too much to swallow. someone send me a copy when you tire of it or somebody clue me in when they go on blow out sale for 10 bux or less.
    Nothing like a bit of copyright infringement right?
    Trev!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

??????????

nothing illegal about passing on something someone is tired of.

and many non pirated DVDs can be had 5 to 15 bucks. and the foreign sites that provide music for a reasonable price have not been found to be illegal.

so I don't see where the infringement would be...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Nothing like a bit of copyright infringement right?

mtbr member

I don't race and I loved it...

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Thanks for the review, I'm going to have to check that out soon. Just curious, do you think that as a non-racer I'll get as much out of it? Just wondering if it is more focused on the overall spirit of MTB or really close focused on the competition side of things? I'll check it out either way, just wondering what to expect.
    My wife doesn't even mtb, and she liked it (not as much as I did, but still). As a documentary, I think it stands on its on two feet. And as a movie about racing, it's fantastic.

Regarding the price, yeah, it's a bit more than your average dvd. But keep in my that this guy isn't going to sell the volume that "Monster in Law" will. I've seen a lot of people on these boards complain about how they're sick of movies that only show the x-treme side of moutainbiking. Well, here's your chance to show that there's a market for this sort of movie.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted
    My wife doesn't even mtb, and she liked it (not as much as I did, but still). As a documentary, I think it stands on its on two feet. And as a movie about racing, it's fantastic.

Regarding the price, yeah, it's a bit more than your average dvd. But keep in my that this guy isn't going to sell the volume that "Monster in Law" will. I've seen a lot of people on these boards complain about how they're sick of movies that only show the x-treme side of moutainbiking. Well, here's your chance to show that there's a market for this sort of movie.
    Cool, thanks for that. I'm a big documetary buff so I think I'll definitely find it interesting. I'm fine with shelling out a few extra bucks for a fellow mtb'er and indie filmmaker. Better than dishing out $25 for George Lucas's latest special edition piece of crap. Now if only someone can talk Stacy Peralta into making an MTB film along the lines of Dogtown and Z Boys and Riding Giants.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Gittyup!
    That's one way to look at it. But maybe look at the purchase in a different way: supporting the film-maker... a person within the mountain biking community that holds the same passion as you for the sport and has the drive and focus to bring our niche community some great entertainment. The folks making films like this do it for the love of the sport, not the money. I doubt if the guy breaks even. It takes a lot of work to make a film like this come together. And in this case, they did a magnificent job. In the big picture, 30 bucks is well worth the level of entertainment that it brings, and supports the making of more entertainment! Food for thought.

Gittyup!
    Echoing the words of notrelatedtoted... I don't race either, and I got a lot of entertainment out of it. Just the fact that it was about mountain biking was cool, but they really took it to a higher level. That there was mountain biking content was merely a bonus It really is a great documentary. I will say though that it did provide some inspiration to want to race... not so I could go out there and compete at that level of course, but just to see what I could achieve personally.

And like notrelatedtoted said, it's a major departure from the 'x-treme' video scene that dominates the market now... and what a relief! I like watchin' the huckers just as much as the next guy (my New World Disorder I, II, III, IV, V DVD collection speaks to that), but how much more of the same can you watch every time!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted

life is a barrel o'fun
    While I'm a HUGE fan of the original Napster concept, and can't stand the high prices of movies/CDs, I agree w/ the last two posts.

Spent the $30 on something like this and think of it as "voting" with numbers. The industry will take notice. Then, when you want to see some new movies out in theaters, wait for THOSE to come out on DVD.

You'd only be spending about $15 more than you would on a pirated copy, which amounts to around 2 first-run movies in the theater. Or one sushi dinner
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    That's a good way to look at it alright--I spend tons of money on eating out--not to mention my 12 pack a day or more of diet cokes. So it's not like I don't blow money. But SO manages the checkbook--with us getting out of the Army, unless its something for the kid, opinion/action has been in the frame of mind "do we really need it"--ha ha.

Gittyup!
    So you really *need* a 12 pack of diet coke a day?

That's a good way to look at it alright--I spend tons of money on eating out--not to mention my 12 pack a day or more of diet cokes. So it's not like I don't blow money. But SO manages the checkbook--with us getting out of the Army, unless its something for the kid, opinion/action has been in the frame of mind "do we really need it"--ha ha.

Trail rider and racer
    nothing illegal about passing on something someone is tired of.

and many non pirated DVDs can be had 5 to 15 bucks. and the foreign sites that provide music for a reasonable price have not been found to be illegal.

so I don't see where the infringement would be...
    I suppose I saw the virtually free music as meaning you probably download from a p2p app or alike.

It was meant as a bit of sarcasm rather than literalism.

No harm intended.
    Trev!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

why yes

..i have a drug addiction to caffiene I'm afraid--ive belted down cokes since ive been old enough to buy em. ive tried weaning myself off caffiene a few times and NOGO. Huge, terrible headaches...at least I quit drinking and smoking 10 years or more ago depending on habit.

Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    So you really *need* a 12 pack of diet coke a day?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    cool--yeah I misused the word virtual since the meaning could have been construed two different ways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

dvd

So where did you get the dvd? the web site said it's still at the duplicators.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought it and thought it was a good documentary. I guess I'll be in the minority on this one though... because it did nothing to get me inspired to get me on the bike and ride. The politics were a little too much for my taste. Just my opinion though.

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004
    didn't inspire me to get out and ride, but it was a great movie.... I cried at the end, yes I'm a big softie... USA Cycling has major issues...

Savvy?
    I just got this, and it is indeed a great film. I've had it since Sunday, and I've already watched it 3 times. You definitely felt for the riders, with everything they were going thru.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Now broadcasting from CO

If Santa comes through for me...

I will have a copy in my hot little hands soon. I look foward to watching it, even the trailer was awesome!!!
    Brought to you by rocks.

It's about showing up.

I can make it easy for the SF Bay Area

The Norcal High School Racing League is screening OFF ROAD TO ATHENS on January 14th at the Florence Schwimley Little Theater at the Berkeley High School Campus. All proceeds go to support the League.
    For more info go to:
    http://www.norcalmtb.org/

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It is a great video and I am proud to say I was at hte inaugural viewing. The guy who put it together lived in my town so we saw the initial verison before all the final edits. Either way it is worth the coin fi for nothing else to support a cool guy who is definitely living on the cheap....

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    You'd only be spending about $15 more than you would on a pirated copy, which amounts to around 2 first-run movies in the theater. Or one sushi dinner
    How on earth do you manage to spend only $15 for sushi dinner? I don't think I've ever come in at under $30/person without leaving totally hungry and pissed off.

mtbr member

Saw it, loved it

Awesome movie. Very moving and inspirational. I don't think it could've been any better. I was definately on the edge of my seat and felt like I was on location at the races. What a great film that I will enjoy over and over again.

Hi!!!
    Got this movie for xmas and I was planning on watching it tonight, but first I need to get through my season one discs of "Reno 911".

life is a barrel o'fun
    I get take-out and stick with sushi regular ($11.) If I'm feeling wealthy enough, I'll get the sashimi combo or throw in an extra roll. No tips, drinks or dessert this way <$20.

Back on topic: Can't wait to see this movie. Hope we see it at our next local gathering. Too bad it's not in 3-D
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Hairy man
    ..i have a drug addiction to caffiene I'm afraid--ive belted down cokes since ive been old enough to buy em. ive tried weaning myself off caffiene a few times and NOGO. Huge, terrible headaches...at least I quit drinking and smoking 10 years or more ago depending on habit.
    Stop drinking the cokes and start taking a No-doz in the morning and afternoon. You'll take all the pleasure out of being an addict and not get the headaches.

Or just switch to coffee. You can brew a 12 packs worth of coffee for a tenth the price of coca-cola.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Ordered this DVD through a link I found in these message boards

My x-mas present to myself got it x-mas eve and have not stopped watching it

I have shown it MTB/non-MTB people and to racers/non-racers all have the same opinion:

This is a great documentary, like something you would see on "The Discovery Channel"

Well worth the $30, BUY IT

Can’t wait for the 2008 version

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    For those who want to see this movie for cheap, Netflix has it. If you subscribe or have a friend who subscribes you can get it from there. They also have a 2 week free trial. I have a friend who subscribes so I'll hit her up to rent it for me.

Hi!!!
    If anyone in the Treasure Valley region of Idaho wants to borrow my copy, they are free to do so just as long as I get it back in a reasonable amount of time. Just PM me.

Members who have read this thread: 0