mtbr member

November / Arizona / Rock Climbing Passion

Gotta love Arizona in the winter. Riding, hiking, rock climbing, and a short drive to snowboard. Here're some climbing shots in the soon to be closed Queen Creek Area.

Gearing up
    Quite a view for November
    Walker pulling rope
    Jen on the rock
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    A few more shots

Walker actually climbing
    Me roping up
    and then on the rock

No leads today - 2 years away from the rock and I can barely handle a TR.
    Attached Images Attached Images

giddy up!
    I miss climbing:-(

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    A few more shots

Walker actually climbing
    Me roping up
    and then on the rock

No leads today - 2 years away from the rock and I can barely handle a TR.
    Schweeeeet photos! MTB and climbing are such great complementary sports!

Had some killer climbing here in the Ruby Mountains last weekend... checked out a new (to me) wall with some fun TR and sport leads... and now there's 4 ft of snow up there! Ice climbing/winter riding/BC skiing season is now underway. KRob's cold weather thread has me excited about some fun possibilities on that end, but the call of the powder is getting louder.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

B
    Me too! It had been nearly 2 years since I'd been on the rock when we hit the ropes last weekend.

To little time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingirl1961
    Schweeeeet photos! MTB and climbing are such great complementary sports!

Had some killer climbing here in the Ruby Mountains last weekend... checked out a new (to me) wall with some fun TR and sport leads... and now there's 4 ft of snow up there! Ice climbing/winter riding/BC skiing season is now underway. KRob's cold weather thread has me excited about some fun possibilities on that end, but the call of the powder is getting louder.
    4' of snow! Strap on the board and hit the slopes! I can't wait for my CO trip in Jan/Feb.

occasionally good
    4' of snow! Strap on the board and hit the slopes! I can't wait for my CO trip in Jan/Feb.
    It'll be killer. It's snowing as we speak, and more is expected before the weekend. Methinks powder turns shall happen. Unfortunately I need to be a gloomy gus and not play hooky... just as well as it'll give everything a chance to settle down a bit.

Climbing is such a kick, and is a very different funtime experience than riding. We've integrated heckling into our climbing in a big way - harder to heckle while negotiating singletrack. The beer tastes as good at the end, tho.

Don't wait another two years!!!

mtbr member
    KRob's cold weather thread has me excited about some fun possibilities on that end, but the call of the powder is getting louder.
    Glad I could inspire you. But snow has put a damper on my riding since my post. It's warmer, but 3-4 inches of crusted snow is dang hard to pedal through. I went today and still had fun... but there's not much flow. I guess I'll have to take up some winter sports like BC skiing. Mark (Velosapiens) is always telling me I'd be less grumpy in the winter if I went along with them.

I'd like to get back into rock climbing too. It's been 20 years (or more) since I've done any climbing. Got into it a bit while in high school and college and always really enjoyed it. There's actually some nice routes around here and I know some guys at the Forest service that climb. More hobbies. yeah. that's what I need.

cool pics jaybird. Where is that?

mtbr member
    20 years! Now I don't feel so bad.

The location is Queen Creek AZ. Just east of Superior AZ and about an hours drive from the valley. Most of this will soon be closed for mining if the proposed land swap goes through though - our lose. Check out http://www.friendsofqueencreek.com/

I hear you about "more hobbies". My wife wants to try diving but I just can't add all that gear to the already crowded garage and limited budget. Plus the time, who's got time to it all?

mtbr member
    It'll be killer. It's snowing as we speak, and more is expected before the weekend. Methinks powder turns shall happen. Unfortunately I need to be a gloomy gus and not play hooky... just as well as it'll give everything a chance to settle down a bit.

Climbing is such a kick, and is a very different funtime experience than riding. We've integrated heckling into our climbing in a big way - harder to heckle while negotiating singletrack. The beer tastes as good at the end, tho.

Don't wait another two years!!!

Yeah my father in-law called from the gondola at Keystone yesterday to rub it in. 4" of new snow and it was still coming down. As a result I decided to take a "mental health day" er play hook from work to advantage of the sunny 70 degree temps in AZ and go for a big mtb ride out at SoMo today. I'll post the pics later.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Me too. My heyday was back in college in the early/mid 90s. After we all received our degrees...some of us decided that career and marriage and moving out-of-state was more important than sticking around and trying to hold on to the glory days. I've tried to find different climbing partners over the past couple of years, but it just ain't the same as it was with the fellas. I'm just one of those types that has to be on the same level personality wise with the folks I'm climbing with. I don't like climbing with those "Let's-try-to-lead-this-5.12-route-even-though-we-can't-lead-5.10!" type of folks. I'd much rather spend the day bagging 5.7's-5.9's on TR and bullshitting about girls and school and work.

I did try to unretire earlier this spring, but after a couple of climbs I said "Screw it!!!" and finally hung it up. In the past it was fun and now it just seems like work that you hate.

I still have all my gear and every now and then I think about hitting the climbing gym this winter to see if I can get the love back, but I really don't see myself being passionate about it ever again.

Hi!!!
    Isn't Queen Creek where they hold the Phoenix Boulding Comp?
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Isn't Queen Creek where they hold the Phoenix Boulding Comp?

Where they held the PBC. I think it is no more.

mtbr member

Here're the pics

Yeah my father in-law called from the gondola at Keystone yesterday to rub it in. 4" of new snow and it was still coming down. As a result I decided to take a "mental health day" er play hook from work to advantage of the sunny 70 degree temps in AZ and go for a big mtb ride out at SoMo today. I'll post the pics later.

From my mental health day - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...43#post1383243

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Glad I could inspire you. But snow has put a damper on my riding since my post. It's warmer, but 3-4 inches of crusted snow is dang hard to pedal through. I went today and still had fun... but there's not much flow. I guess I'll have to take up some winter sports like BC skiing. Mark (Velosapiens) is always telling me I'd be less grumpy in the winter if I went along with them.

I'd like to get back into rock climbing too. It's been 20 years (or more) since I've done any climbing. Got into it a bit while in high school and college and always really enjoyed it. There's actually some nice routes around here and I know some guys at the Forest service that climb. More hobbies. yeah. that's what I need.
    Haha... one of my climbing partners is one of your FS friends, I'll bet. And I'm headed your way to ski this weekend.

The climbing around Ely is good, although I'll call myself biased and say that it's better in the Rubies. We don't have that cheesegrater limestone that you guys "enjoy", so a nice whipper doesn't entail mandatory loss of skin. We took Mark out climbing a couple of months ago... don't know that we've made a convert just yet, but he seemed to have a good time and invested in some shoes. If you are interested in joining us you're very welcome. We are very much a "more the merrier" kind of group. We'll be doing some ice climbing this winter too, if that floats your boat.

The skiing around Ely is great. Seriously. And there's a very active group of BC skiers (assuming you know the Danimal?) that would provide a great introduction. It's a great opportunity to gain "smiles per mile" when the singletrack is snowed over. And powder is a proven remedy for grumpiness.

Members who have read this thread: 0